Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 2nd September 2006, 10:33   #21  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtnoise13
MP4 support will be available in the next release (around September the 22nd )...

http://www.nue.tu-berlin.de/forschun...ess/mp4als.htm
Is it just me or is the above link dead?

EDIT: Is this it?

http://www.nue.tu-berlin.de/research...ss/mp4als.html

Lossless audio with lossless MPEG-4 AVC video within MP4... what a prospect LOL

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 2nd September 2006 at 10:37.
SeeMoreDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2006, 04:13   #22  |  Link
Mug Funky
interlace this!

from guada 2's post:
Quote:
MPEG4 Amd 7 Spatial Audio Coding (SAC)(Surround sound)
Current status: CFP [call for proposals]
2005 ??
not quite on topic, but looks promising. i wonder if something like b-format will be utilised (this would be great for multichannel - only 4 channels needed at most, and any number of channels can be generated from that...)
Old 6th September 2006, 10:42   #23  |  Link
bkman

Tried the reference program on a lossless CD rip of mine with parameter "-7". Compression was a little worse compared to Monkey's Audio High mode (and much slower, obviously).

Last edited by bkman; 6th September 2006 at 12:27.
bkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2006, 06:58   #24  |  Link
ac-chan123

@SMD: Yes that is the english version of the same page. They have change the directoys name from german to english(with no redirction) that is awful but it seams that it is also state of the art at the internet.
ac-chan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2006, 17:05   #25  |  Link
Hyper Shinchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac-chan123
@SMD: Yes that is the english version of the same page. They have change the directoys name from german to english(with no redirction) that is awful but it seams that it is also state of the art at the internet.
??? State of the art???^^''
Anyway does anyone know if it has been published somewhere the way that they will use to store ALS in MP4? I think that they will use the mp4a entry with a new object descriptor, but there's any clue until now, right?
Hyper Shinchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 21:52   #26  |  Link
Coderjoe
huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Shinchan View Post
Anyway does anyone know if it has been published somewhere the way that they will use to store ALS in MP4? I think that they will use the mp4a entry with a new object descriptor, but there's any clue until now, right?
Offhand, I have no idea. I'm sure it is published in the relevant portions of ISO/IEC 14496 (parts 1 and 3, and their ammendments). Unfortunately, I do not (yet) have copies of anything from 14496.
Coderjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2006, 22:59   #27  |  Link
Zero1
Two bit encoder

http://uclc.info/lossless_audio_compression_test.htm

A decent test of various command line compressors. In my opinion, the ALS reference did pretty damn well when you consider that reference software is usually unoptimised.

Lossless H.264 and ALS would be really nice for archives of my NLE work (when I actually get round to doing it ).

I emailed Mr. Liebchen months ago, basically telling him how standardised lossless audio appeals to a lot of people, but the lack of MP4 support stumps it's growth somewhat (and in turn, sales of the spec). Also if any of you browse HA, you may have seen an old ALS thread there.
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...dpost&p=387008

I made a point of telling Mr Liebchen that people were losing interest before the format had even had a chance, and that people feared that the spreading of raw ALS files would end up in people doing non spec things with them.

Now it has been months since I sent that, maybe he got it and it's been in the process all this time, or maybe he didn't read it/ignored it and MP4 support was already on the cards at a later date; either way I was very happy that a little progress had been made.

I notice that Haali's splitter is capable of parsing AC3 in mp4a (much to my surprise, I was expecting it to be stored as a private stream, but I won't speak of how such evil was created; I was just testing stuff out of pure curiosity as to how it works or would something break ); seeing as we will soon have ALS in MP4; providing Haali's splitter will do the same magic for ALS as AC3, we really only need a directshow ALS decoder and we're up and running!

Based on how MPEG-1, MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 audio is stored as mp4a, and that ALS is an MPEG-4 standard, together with the fact that ALS is available in ISO/IEC 14496-3:2005/Amd 2:2006; I would think it's almost a given that it will be stored in mp4a. Of course let's wait and see before we do anything drastic
Zero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 09:52   #28  |  Link
Hyper Shinchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero1 View Post
Based on how MPEG-1, MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 audio is stored as mp4a, and that ALS is an MPEG-4 standard, together with the fact that ALS is available in ISO/IEC 14496-3:2005/Amd 2:2006; I would think it's almost a given that it will be stored in mp4a. Of course let's wait and see before we do anything drastic
No doubt about it, it's just an other profile of the MPEG-4 audio.
But what the hell happened? Today is 25 september and in the ALS page there isn't the Release 18 yet.
Old 26th September 2006, 22:12   #29  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

It's available now...
Kurtnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2006, 15:09   #30  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Any w32 builds available?
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2006, 15:23   #31  |  Link
quake74

If you download the file from the page there's a win32 bin inside bin/win/Release. Funny thing, I had to make it executable with cygwin to make it run. Testing as we speak...
quake74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2006, 15:49   #32  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

sorry, i missed one word on my previous question: "optimized"...
So, any w32 optimized builds available?
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2006, 15:51   #33  |  Link
Hyper Shinchan

Oh in the end they released it Now I'm going to test it (but anyway their Winamp plugin doesn't seem updated, so there's no way to play the mp4 with als content in Winamp, I think).
Anyway I've tried to use the settings that the website linked by zero1 used for their tests. I've added in my command-line the checking of the file but the output file failed the checksum. And it was a not valid als for ALS plugin. I've tried to rencode the same file using just the -7 -c -v that I've used until now and it was alright (of course it doesn't seek very well).
Old 27th September 2006, 16:18   #34  |  Link
shon3i
BluRay Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Shinchan View Post
Oh in the end they released it Now I'm going to test it (but anyway their Winamp plugin doesn't seem updated, so there's no way to play the mp4 with als content in Winamp, I think).
Anyway I've tried to use the settings that the website linked by zero1 used for their tests. I've added in my command-line the checking of the file but the output file failed the checksum. And it was a not valid als for ALS plugin. I've tried to rencode the same file using just the -7 -c -v that I've used until now and it was alright (of course it doesn't seek very well).
Maybe foobar can play, any w32 build
shon3i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2006, 16:22   #35  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

1/ None players are able to play those kind of files for the moment.
2/ No optimized builds available.
Old 27th September 2006, 20:01   #36  |  Link
Zero1
Two bit encoder

Indeed, it's possible to encode ALS stored in MP4 now, but there is no way of playing them. The Winamp ALS plugin that they released was crippled and didn't support the decoding of all of the features; also it does not read ALS in MP4.

However some semi good news. Haali's splitter seems relatively happy to parse the file already (the explorer extensions and tooltips etc. report the correct duration and samplerate), and seems to think it is an AAC file. Obviously the only thing missing is a directshow decoder, but I reckon that if we had a directshow decoder, these files would work fine with the combination of that decoder and Haali's MP4 splitter.

So if any devs out there are reading; there is some reference software available (which obviously has decoder components). Perhaps some kind soul cares to whip up a basic directshow decoder or library? Something that could be usable and a part of FFDShow would be awesome, but really just _something_ so that we can listen to the files in our favourite players would be nice ;p

Ah well, can only ask
Old 27th September 2006, 20:46   #37  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Hi Zero1,

Are you able to provide a short sample encode please?

Cheers
Old 27th September 2006, 22:23   #38  |  Link
Zero1
Two bit encoder

No sooner said than done; here are some test files

First, a bit about the music in the test track itself. It's track 13 from the After War Gundam X OST; Side 1. It was released around 1996, and is an orchestral track used in the series (as opposed to a bonus track which you quite often get on soundtracks). It was chosen for no reason other than I wanted something short and appreciable. Not my choice of music; but you have to admit it's a good powerful sample.

Anyway, on to the more interesting part. I have encoded 4 test files in total; an ALS and MP4 for each set of switches. The first set is something I came up with; I'm sure it's nothing like optimal (and some switches like the wordlength and sample rate redundant), but there you go.

The other set I had to disable the "-z3" switch to get the ALS files to play in Winamp. Off the top of my head, I believe that to be the option pertaining to RLSLMS (reverse predictive coding?). So for whatever reason, that feature seems to be missing in the Winamp plugin (I didn't test, but I think it's safe to assume -z1 and -z2 won't work either). Providing an ALS and MP4 for each set of options means that using the Winamp decoder, you at least have something to play
Fortunately dropping -z3 didn't have a huge impact on the filesize (but I guess it could accumulate to a decent saving over a whole album), so in it's place I put -7. I also put in -r5 and -u1 as per Mr. Liebchen's suggestion (on the page regarding the Winamp plugin).

As you might expect, I also included the original wave file; you might want to play around and try compressing it for yourself with different switches. If you happen to find a more optimal set of switches, do share

Also have CRC32'ed the files _just_in_case (if you are paranoid, I can provide MD5 or something too )

I think that's everything of relevance, so here are the files followed by the switches I used.

You can get the ALS test files here

[source]make_it_sure_by_yourself[d8871b23].wav

[winamp]make_it_sure_by_yourself[34dfa439].als
mp4alsRM18.exe -v -g5 -t2 -a -b -e -p -7 -R -W16 -F44100 -r5 -u1 "Track 13.wav"

[winamp]make_it_sure_by_yourself[a0366a99].mp4
mp4alsRM18.exe -v -g5 -t2 -a -b -e -p -7 -MP4 -R -W16 -F44100 -r5 -u1 "Track 13.wav"

[zero1]make_it_sure_by_yourself[05237556].als
mp4alsRM18.exe -v -g5 -t2 -a -b -e -p -z3 -R -W16 -F44100 "Track 13.wav"

[zero1]make_it_sure_by_yourself[94a9971d].mp4
mp4alsRM18.exe -v -g5 -t2 -a -b -e -p -z3 -MP4 -R -W16 -F44100 "Track 13.wav"

If you decide to dive straight into the directory rather than taking the direct links, you can also find a copy of RM18 and the Winamp plugin.

Last edited by Zero1; 27th September 2006 at 23:23. Reason: Added ALS test files
Old 23rd October 2006, 17:22   #39  |  Link
Hyper Shinchan

This is in someway unrelated but:
http://www.iis.fraunhofer.de/amm/pro...dio/index.html
This encoding solution has been dropped or not? In the ALS webpage says that initially it was tried a similar usage of AAC scalable, but it seems that it won't be standardized. Am I wrong?
Old 24th April 2007, 10:55   #40  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

Just for your information - the last MP4Box from cvs entry is able to read/write als embedded in mp4 files now, (although there are some bugs for channels detection.)

So, any volonteer to patch FFDshow to be able to decode als streams correctly ? If it's too hard for you, we can create a new plugin with the BASS library...