Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 20th March 2005, 19:49   #41  |  Link
CoNS
reMember

@jeanl: If I go to the PGC editor in PgcEdit (doubleclick on a PGC), I can see the cell table, as r0lZ referred to. Here I can see a row of numbers with the title "Cell Cmd". If I follow 2COOL's guide to bypass audio language/aspect ratio menus, on page 2 I have to change the number to make the newly pasted cell command (= the button command) work.
CoNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2005, 22:03   #42  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

But CoNS, they can be in any order you like, one to a particular cell. Adding 3 cell commands, doesn't and could not guess at which cell you want each command to belong.

It could only work automatically if there was a single cell and a single cell command. But even then, there are plenty of DVDs with cell commands NOT attached to cells.

This is not a hard thing to do manually, and it is proper that it is done that way.

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 13:25   #43  |  Link
Paddington
Author of SubtitleCreator

Quote:
Originally posted by r0lZ
The Save BMP function has not changed. But I have changed the way the picture is displayed in the preview window and in the menu buttons viewer. The image is now always displayed in the correct aspect ratio on a PC monitor.

Maybe there is a switch somewhere in SubtitleCreator? Or does it retrieve the DAR info from the IFO or the VOB?
Note that this info is stored in both the IFOs and VOBs. PgcEdit uses only the one from the IFOs (It has precedence). If the DAR in the VOB is not the same, Subtitle Creator may use the wrong display aspect ratio.
I am the author of SubtitleCreator, and thanks for explaining what was going on - I use another screen capture program, which already scales the output to the correct display format, so this caused the problem that CoNS mentioned. However, as you mentioned that it is possible to retrieve the correct display format from the IFO file, I was wondering if you are willing to tell me how it's done - it would even be easier if you had some code ;-)

Additionally, I would like to include a preview option in SubtitleCreator - I've found some C# code on the "Code project" which uses DirectX, but is incomplete. Can you tell me how you did it?
Paddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 14:00   #44  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Hi Paddington, and thanks for your verry good program!

The aspect ratio is stored as a word in the IFOs at offset 0x100 for the menu VOB and 0x200 for the title VOBs. It's in the VTSM_MAT (for VIDEO_TS) or VTSI_MAT (for VTS_*) tables. Fortunately, these table MUST be in the beginning of the IFO, so the offset do not need to be calculated.

Breakdown of the Video Attributes bits:

Byte 0:
Bits 7 & 6: Coding mode: 0 = Mpeg-1, 1 = Mpeg-2
Bits 5 & 4: Standard: 0 = NTSC, 1 = PAL
Bits 3 & 2: Aspect: 0 = 4:3, 1 = not specified, 2 = reserved, 3 = 16:9 (1 & 2 should not be used)
Bit 1: Automatic Pan/Scan: 1 = disallowed
Bit 0: Automatic Letterbox: 1 = disallowed

Byte 1:
Bit 7: CC for line 21 field 1 in GOP (NTSC only)
Bit 6: CC for line 21 field 2 in GOP (NTSC only)
Bit 5: Bit Rate: 0 = VBR, 1 = CBR
Bits 4 & 3: Resolution (NTSC or PAL): 0 = 720x480 or 720x576, 1 = 704x480 or 704x576, 2 = 352x480 or 352x576, 3 = 352x240 or 352x288
Bit 2: Letterboxed: 1=top and bottom cropped
Bit 1: reserved
Bit 0: Film: 0=camera, 1=film (PAL only)

(Thanks to mpucoder for this information!)
As you can see, it's pretty simple.

Preview: A am not the author of the preview. Jeanl did it for me. In fact, it's a standalone executable which is called from my program. It is based on the old code of DVD2AVI. According to jeanl, the code is not easy to understand, because the GUI is mixed with the rest of the code. If you want to have a look, you may download the sources on my homepage (in the All Versions folder.)

You may also have a look at some GPL source code for Linux. VLan (Video Lan) is an open source multimedia player able to play a DVD (with lot of navigation problems) under Windows.

Sorry, I can't help much more.

Last edited by r0lZ; 23rd March 2005 at 14:02.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 18:34   #45  |  Link
CoNS
reMember

jeanl, it would be incredibly cool if Subtitle Creator could have a preview function like PgcEdit's and VobBlanker's...

Would you allow Paddington to use your code for the preview function in Subtitle Creator? And perhaps even help him implement it? If you don't know the program already, I can inform you that it's a freeware tool made in C# under the SourceForge project: https://sourceforge.net/projects/subtitlecreator/
CoNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2005, 01:48   #46  |  Link
Paddington
Author of SubtitleCreator

Quote:
The aspect ratio is stored as a word in the IFOs at offset 0x100 for the menu VOB and 0x200 for the title VOBs. It's in the VTSM_MAT (for VIDEO_TS) or VTSI_MAT (for VTS_*) tables.
Thanks a lot! r0lZ! I will try it this week - I think I already read part of this information from the IFO file anyways, but didn't know all the bit flags (I used SubRip's open source code).

Just for your information, I've also found another basic OSS player on The Code Project, which uses DirectX/DirectShow for displaying audio/video. Although this requires that an MPEG2 decoder is already installed (e.g. WinDVD or PowerDVD) on your system. As it is in C#, it might be easier to integrate it with my own code, but if it doesn't work, I will certainly have another look at Jeanl's code.
Paddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2005, 02:51   #47  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally posted by Paddington
Thanks a lot! r0lZ!
You're welcome.
Thanks also for the link to the Code Project. Seems interesting!
Old 28th March 2005, 18:58   #48  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

PgcEdit 0.5.1 released

PgcEdit 0.5.1 released
  • Menu Buttons/BOVs Editor.
  • Wrong display aspect ratio was used in the menu buttons viewer for group types sharing modes "normal" + "letterbox".
  • Fixed wrong highlighted target/jump to target in menu domains: the target was always in LU 1.
  • Moved the stream's VOB IDs from the Domain Streams Attributes to the PGC Streams assignments GUI, where they should be. The streans IDs are now hopefully corrects.
  • Linux standalone executables 0.5.0beta1 to 0.5.1beta1 were broken. The sources were OK. V 0.5.1beta2 is the first working 0.5 standalone exe.
  • Fixed a bug in 'Delete last PGC in domain' in title domain. The new total number of TTNs was wrong when a PGC sharing the same TTN number with another one was deleted.
  • Small bug fixed that prevented to "Delete Last PGC in Domain" if the PGC was created with "New Dummy PGC" during the same PgcEdit session.
Old 29th March 2005, 00:49   #49  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Please help improve PgcEdit!

I have a problem with the exact behavior of SPRM 7. According to the standard, it is supposed to hold the PTT (chapter) number. But on many players, it is the PG (program) number that is stored!

I need to know what's the majority of players is doing. So, I have made a little test-DVD. Please download it, burn it, try it in your standalone, and report the result of the test in this thread. Don't forget to mention your player's brand and model.

See the thread mentionned above for details, and for the download link.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by r0lZ; 29th March 2005 at 00:52.
Old 29th March 2005, 02:10   #50  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

@r0lZ

Irrespective of what the majority of DVD players are doing, you might want to make it an option for PgcEdit users to setup either Chapter or PGN in their virtual player setup.

What do you think?

Regards

Old 29th March 2005, 09:33   #51  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

How to get a removed cell back

I have incorrectly removed a cell in the PGC Editor. I know I can restore the backup and the VOBs in the backup folder and start over but this will entail quite a bit of work.

Is there an easy way of restoring the cell?

Perhaps in IfoEdit? If so, anyone know how?

Regards

Old 29th March 2005, 09:49   #52  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally posted by blutach
Irrespective of what the majority of DVD players are doing, you might want to make it an option for PgcEdit users to setup either Chapter or PGN in their virtual player setup.
Yes, I think it is the good way to deal with this problem.

Deleted cell: Sorry, for now, it's not possible to restore the cell in PgcEdit. And I don't know if it's feasible with IfoEdit.
Old 29th March 2005, 12:53   #53  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Re Deleted cell

I figured out the easy way - restore all files associated with the VTS, including the IFO, menu VOB and title VOBs from PgcEdit_backup to the working folder and re-save.

No more hassles.

Regards

Old 29th March 2005, 20:56   #54  |  Link
mp3boy

a little request

hi mate
thanks for this charming tool, I just noticed your dvd sample, I will download and try and will tell the result.

but there is a little thing which I want to request, and you see if its possible for you to add, I'm sure there are alot of other ppl wanting the same thing.

Request : Modify or Replace option for the subpicture in menu-editing section

detail : basically it is very silly when I add a new button and there is no highlight or button select action.
it was a real pain to re-create the whole button menu in other application such as dvd-lab and import in pgc edit which at the end, in some player it did not strech it completly.
The Reason for (I think) is that the some player does not know how to strech (like my both of philips and enzer players) or Mark's DVD Player however PowerDVD play it right.

Having this feature will make my life much easier (I'm a movie translator)

Thanks alot
mp3boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2005, 07:18   #55  |  Link
zacoz

Thanks

Thanks for your work on this program r0lZ. I'm like many others who use just a fraction of it's tools, however gradually expanding my usage.

Angles are about the only thing I'm currently left frustrated with during my backup process. Frustrated in that I have to go outside of my usual stable of programs (PCGEdit / VOBBlanker / DVDShrink / DVDDecrypter) to deal with them.

Would like to clean up menu issues left from removing audio / subtitle streams but never seem to have sufficient time to fiddle around with them (even following guides - thanks all). One day.

Anyway, got off the track....Great Program r0lZ.
Old 30th March 2005, 10:02   #56  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

@zacoz - There is a new macro in PgcEdit called Fix number of streams in VMGM/VTSI_MAT tables, which automatically corrects the number of streams (but not the order of them, which is what you might be referring to).

Regards

Old 30th March 2005, 11:38   #57  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Re: a little request

Quote:
Originally posted by mp3boy
Request : Modify or Replace option for the subpicture in menu-editing section
Well. It's not easy. What you want is basically a menu authoring tool. PgcEdit is only a re-authoring tool. You are supposed to have the right VOBs, with everything you need. It is relatively easy to change the menu parameters, because all I need to do is to overwrite the original values with new ones. But modifying the highlights requires a totally different method: the subpic stream must be totally recreated, and remuxed in the VOB. That's far beyond what I am able to do. Sorry.
Old 30th March 2005, 11:46   #58  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by zacoz
PCGEdit / VOBBlanker / DVDShrink / DVDDecrypter
Add MenuShrink to your list! Also, I use IfoEdit and VobEdit a lot, for reference.

Quote:
Would like to clean up menu issues left from removing audio / subtitle streams but never seem to have sufficient time to fiddle around with them (even following guides - thanks all). One day.
Do you mean that you want to remove the menu buttons allowing to select the removed streams? You can do that easily with the menu buttons editor. Just hide the useless buttons. Or change the button command to NOP.
Old 30th March 2005, 13:25   #59  |  Link
zacoz

Quote:
There is a new macro in PgcEdit called Fix number of streams in VMGM/VTSI_MAT tables, which automatically corrects the number of streams (but not the order of them, which is what you might be referring to).[/color] [/B]
Thanks blutach....will look at this.

Quote:
Add MenuShrink to your list! Also, I use IfoEdit and VobEdit a lot, for reference.
Been using newest VobBlanker to 'shrink' menu's. Have used IfoEdit (use it for angles) but not confident I'm not breaking stuff when using it for some other things. PGCEdit has helped me gain a small understanding of commands & structure (Trace mode is great), but IfoEdit a little less user (newbie) friendly I guess.

Quote:
Do you mean that you want to remove the menu buttons allowing to select the removed streams? You can do that easily with the menu buttons editor. Just hide the useless buttons. Or change the button command to NOP.
Yes. Is menu button editor in PCGEdit, or are you referring to MenuEdit program ?
Old 30th March 2005, 13:43   #60  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Re: Re: Thanks

Quote:

My old SONY croaked on a NOP command once, so now all my useless buttons which I haven't hidden have the same command as if they were - LinkTopCell and Highlight Button (# of an undeleted button).

I find this works well for me.

Regards