Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 24th June 2004, 14:38   #1  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

PgcEdit v0.2.

[EDIT: PgcEdit v7.0 has been released. See this thread.]

PgcEdit v 0.2 is here!

See the version history for the new features list.

Download PgcEdit here.

Thanks to everybody at Doom9 forum for your encouragements, and for helping me improve and debug PgcEdit!

The current PgcEdit version is discussed here: PgcEdit 0.5

Old PgcEdit discussion threads:

Last edited by r0lZ; 22nd April 2006 at 10:39.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2004, 17:11   #2  |  Link
burnout
Legend

thanx m8, u're a star

looking at the version history it show it up to 0.1.3, is that the same as 0.2 or do u need to add to this?

like these 2 features:
A. New "Set PGC Menu Type" utility: set Title, Root, Audio... menu type.
A. Browsing the PGC selector with the keyboard (up and down keys) now automatically update the current PGC and display it in the main window.

and the rest i guess i will mess about a bit to find out what they are

thanx again
burnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2004, 19:19   #3  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

There was indeed a mismatch in the version number.
I have changed my mind in the last minute because I think there was enough new features to call it v 0.2. But I forgot to change the number in the history.
This is fixed now. You may download a new v0.2.0 on my homepage, but this is really a waste of time: nothing has changed except the version number in the history!

Last edited by r0lZ; 24th June 2004 at 19:22.
Old 25th June 2004, 13:07   #4  |  Link
vion11

Many thanks for this great tool. From now I'll never
feel blind when doing more complex stuff with dvds.

The info->dvd commands option is somewhat helpfull -
all commands in one document.

Now I'm dreaming of a import function for commands
to avoid button clicks.

Is it possible when lets say
import file has same layout of your dvd commands output?
vion11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2004, 15:14   #5  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

It is actually possible to export and import commands via the Scratchbook and copy/paste operations.
Or you can run PgcEdit twice, and copy/paste from one PgcEdit to the other.
Is it what you need?

Or maybe I misunderstand you, and you want to modify the DVD dump with a text editor and reimport it?
To do that, I will need to write a parser for the DVD text commands, with a lot of errors checks. Sounds difficult. But it's a good idea, for a programmer having some time to spend... I'm affraid this will not be me.
Old 25th June 2004, 15:52   #6  |  Link
vion11

I want to add commands for different PGCs at once.

What could be the simplest solution to implement
kind of mass import for commands?
Old 25th June 2004, 16:14   #7  |  Link
crusher

Hi,
I've tried to install your program but I get this error:"Error sourcing /Tcl/work/PGCEDIT/PgcEdit.tcl: can not find channel named "unable to open key: The system cannot find the file specified."
I put PgcEdit.exe in my Ifoedit directory. I got this same error with the earlier v0.1 version too. What do I need to do?

Crusher
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2004, 17:30   #8  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

@vion11
I'm affraid there is no simple solution.
Old 25th June 2004, 18:25   #9  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally posted by crusher
"Error sourcing /Tcl/work/PGCEDIT/PgcEdit.tcl: can not find channel named "unable to open key: The system cannot find the file specified."
This error comes from a bad key in your registry. PgcEdit checks if a file association exists for the .IFO and .BUP files when it starts. If one of thoses keys are corrupt, the DLL routine I use to do the checking will crash.

Rookie solution:
Associate .IFO and .BUP files manually: right-click on a .IFO file and select "open with", then locate PgcEdit (or IfoEdit) and do the association.
Do the same thing with .BUP files.

If it doesn't work, there is the expert solution:
Open RedEdit (select the Windows Start/Run menu and type RegEdit), then expand HKEY_CLASS_ROOT.
Click on the folder named ".ifo", and take a look at what is displayed in the right pane. If the value is not set, you will see "(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)", and you have probably located the problem.
Right-click on the same .ifo icon, and select Delete.
Do the same for the .bup folder (if it exists).

I am a little bit surprised that you still have this error with PgcEdit v0.2, because I have tried to fix it. But the offending DLL is not writed by me, so the bugfix is only a workaround. It is working for me, but apparently still not working in all cases!

Does one of the above solution works for you?
What was the value of the .ifo and .bup keys?
What OS are you using?
Please take me informed.
Old 25th June 2004, 20:00   #10  |  Link
crusher

Quote:
Originally posted by r0IZ
Rookie solution:
Associate .IFO and .BUP files manually: right-click on a .IFO file and select "open with", then locate PgcEdit (or IfoEdit) and do the association.
Do the same thing with .BUP files.

If it doesn't work, there is the expert solution:
Open RedEdit (select the Windows Start/Run menu and type RegEdit), then expand HKEY_CLASS_ROOT.
Click on the folder named ".ifo", and take a look at what is displayed in the right pane. If the value is not set, you will see "(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)", and you have probably located the problem.
Right-click on the same .ifo icon, and select Delete.
Do the same for the .bup folder (if it exists).

I am a little bit surprised that you still have this error with PgcEdit v0.2, because I have tried to fix it. But the offending DLL is not writed by me, so the bugfix is only a workaround. It is working for me, but apparently still not working in all cases!

Does one of the above solution works for you?
What was the value of the .ifo and .bup keys?
What OS are you using?
Please take me informed.
None of the solutions worked. I'm using Windows XP Home. I deleted the .ifo folder, there was no .bup folder to delete. I also tried to associate the .ifo files with Ifoedit but that didn't make any difference either.
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2004, 21:33   #11  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Sorry. I am working on a solution, but it is difficult for me te be sure that it will work, because I don't have the problem here, and can't recreate it.

Anyway, I am adding some new enhancements to PgcEdit, and I will release a new version in some days. I hope this time it will work for you. If it doesn't, there is also the heavy solution: download Tcl/Tk and install the sources of PgcEdit. This solution is working for sure.
Old 27th June 2004, 13:28   #12  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

PgcEdit v0.2.1 is there!

PgcEdit v 0.2.1

PgcEdit v 0.2.1 is available here.

Main changes:
  • There is now a Find GUI integrated in the main window.
  • Region Code utility.
  • All known bugs are now hopefully fixed. If you still find some bugs, please let me know!
The complete list of changes is, as usual, in the version history.

Last edited by r0lZ; 27th June 2004 at 13:33.
Old 27th June 2004, 16:35   #13  |  Link
vion11

I'm impressed -
such new stunning and powerful features in a minor update.
I vote for most valuable download of year!
Old 28th June 2004, 16:13   #14  |  Link
$$$

I can confirm that the "...can not find channel named" bug during start-up is fixed for me. I had this problem with all earlier versions on my home PC (but it worked fine at work ).

EDIT: Would it be difficult to link a cell to a different VOB ID? Could this be included in PgcEdit? E.g. in VTS_PGC_1 I have Cell_22 which is currently linked to VOB ID 14 but I would like to link it to VOB ID 17.

$

Last edited by $$$; 28th June 2004 at 16:28.
$$$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2004, 18:45   #15  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally posted by $$$
Would it be difficult to link a cell to a different VOB ID? Could this be included in PgcEdit?
Hummm... I must learn how to do that kind of stuff.
My previous try (with IfoEdit) in this sense was to use the same VOB ID for all credits chapters of a multi-episode DVD. This was working fine on a computer, but the search and FF/REW functions were not working correctly on a settop player. I suppose that this was due to the VTS_C_ADT table not matching the new VOB ID. I will do some new tries in this way, but it will take some time: must burn a DVD for each test.

Thanks again for such 'high level' suggestions.

edit: If somebody reading this may explain exactly how to do this kind of stuff, I would appreciate.

Last edited by r0lZ; 28th June 2004 at 18:48.
Old 29th June 2004, 16:15   #16  |  Link
sweetness

Great program. it took me 2 minutes to do something that would have taken me an hour. wow. I guess the more i learn about PGC commands the more i will be amazed about this app. Just one suggestion(if it is possible) i noticed if there is a line with a {goto line X} and you single click it will hight the line that the command refers too. So i was thinking, it would be nice to single click command like JumpSS VTS1:Root Menu and have it jump/link to that PGC. this will just save sometime and make sure that i'm going to the right PGC too. thanks but still a great program.

Last edited by sweetness; 29th June 2004 at 18:02.
sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2004, 17:46   #17  |  Link
voo_doo99

Just getting to know PgcEdit 2. Love the Cmd editor, exactly what I wanted for a long time. Completed with full cmd builder, references, and rules it's a beautiful thing, thank you, thank you, thank you

A question: what is the meaning of the '+' marker?. And a wish: could you add a one-click feature to convert Post cmd to Pre cmd in the PGC Editor? that would be a perfecto addition, whilst it takes many steps in IfoEdit.

And if you dont mind my suggestions, the button rows look a little overwheming as most functions alrealy availble in the right-click context menu. And maybe a VTS treeview, color-coded sections, resizable display panes in the future? But even without them, I can see myself using the tool a lot. Thank you for making this tool available free to us wannabe DVD backup editor
voo_doo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2004, 22:52   #18  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally posted by sweetness
it would be nice to single click command like JumpSS VTS1:Root Menu and have it jump/link to that PGC.
Good idea, but, if the single click is used for that purpose, what will you do to select a line?
Of course, I can highlight the relevant PGC label in the PGC selector, or use another mouse button. Maybe in next release...
Old 29th June 2004, 23:15   #19  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally posted by voo_doo99
what is the meaning of the '+' marker
The + stands for "there is one (or more) video cells for this menu PGC". This is only to help locate the menus with video.
Quote:
could you add a one-click feature to convert Post cmd to Pre cmd in the PGC Editor?
Simply select all post commands, then copy or cut them and paste in the pre commands section, or use the Move Up button several times.
Note: if you are doing that to inhibit the PGC playback, then you may use the 'Kill PGC playback' menu: it will not copy the commands, but jump directly to the post commands, skipping the playback. And the Break pre-commands are automatically handled. Try it!
Quote:
the button rows look a little overwheming as most functions alrealy availble in the right-click context menu.
You may remove the buttons pane. Look in the View menu.
Quote:
And maybe a VTS treeview, color-coded sections, resizable display panes in the future?
I hate treeviews! Too many clicks on thoses stupid + and - little squares!
Color coded sections is indeed a good idea, but I prefer to spend time for most useful features...
You can't resize the PGC Selector pane because it is auto-resizable! However, you may toggle it with a single right-click on the "PGC" menubutton.
Old 1st July 2004, 19:12   #20  |  Link
Wheelie4

r0lZ,

From the version history page:
Quote:
F. Bug starting PgcEdit.exe when the .IFO file association is corrupt in the registry this time hopefully really fixed.
Yep it's fixed as of version 0.2.1. I can now open pgcedit.

I also kept getting this error:
Quote:
"Error sourcing /Tcl/work/PGCEDIT/PgcEdit.tcl: can not find channel named "unable to open key: The system cannot find the file specified.
and hadn't been able to open pgcedit before this version either even after trying the file association attempt.

Last edited by Wheelie4; 1st July 2004 at 19:15.
Wheelie4 is offline   Reply With Quote