Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VirtualDub, VDubMod & AviDemux

Old 23rd January 2018, 11:31   #421  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Well so far, it happens with anything, anysize, AVS, AVI, MP4 (1280x720), and image BMP.
Dont forget to switch to Free Adjust (which, always has resized to whatever size you chose).

I think version from a month or two ago did not do that.

EDIT: BMP that I just tried was scrolling ~40% of the image (horizontal), every thing I've tried does it.
I updated to this version (current) because of the problem, but it obviously still exists.
Free Adjust then resize, or other way around, both same.

EDIT: Dont know if pertinent (probably not) but only scrolls on one axis, up/down or left/right.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 23rd January 2018 at 11:45.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2018, 14:20   #422  |  Link
shekh

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhorman View Post
This is one of three annoying things that led me to alter and recompile VirtualDub myself (my instructions are still a sticky thread although it's out of date now).

Somewhere there is a condition that causes VirtualDub to give up on displaying a frame if it takes over 100ms, and you have scrolled onward in the meantime.

On the subject of AVI vs. MKV, doesn't MKV lack a frame index?
Now if decoder made 100% progress (always the case with *synth) the 100ms limit is ignored.
Happy scrolling )

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
Hi Shekh,
Build 40898, and my prev 40879, Problem when switch to Free Adjust, image still scrolls around in box (via mouse), you have to screw around with
sizing it to get it to show full image.
Now clicking "free adjust" will immediately stretch image to fit in window.
Old 3rd February 2018, 17:02   #423  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Lovely, thanx.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
Old 5th February 2018, 11:36   #424  |  Link
Yanak

Hello and thank you for this,

I have a little suggestion please:

When using both versions x86 x64 ( for filters available in one version and not on the other ) or even when we still have the old virtualdub versions on pc, we end up with a bunch of virtualdub in the "Open With" menu.

What i do is that i use ResourceHacker to recompile the .exe with the names changed in the info :

I do this for all new versions of this deep color mod, and have this done for old virtualdub versions on my pc too, when i make a right click into a media file and "Open with" i then see this :

Without doing those modifications I end up with 4 " VirtualDub" entries there and have to guess which one is what as it often don't stay in order from one media file extension to another, depends the order you manually selected the "open with program xxx".

I saw you already cleaned up this info part in the last versions released by removing file versions and such, but if you could add a more specific name + plateform for the exes too it will be nice.

Thank you .
Yanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2018, 12:39   #425  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

I just add this on XP

Install_Vdub_ShellNoRoam.reg
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache]
"C:\\NON-INSTALL\\VDUB\\VDUB_MOD\\VirtualDubMod.exe"="www.virtualdub-fr.org"
"C:\\NON-INSTALL\\VDUB\\VDUB_PLAIN\\VirtualDub.exe"="VirtualDub"
"C:\\NON-INSTALL\\VDUB\\VDUB_DEEP\\VirtualDubDEEP.exe"="VirtualDubDEEP"

Old 5th February 2018, 13:31   #426  |  Link
Yanak

Hi,
I done something similar some years ago when using only the regular virtualdub x86 & x64, not sure if it was exactly this reg edit but it was a registry modification, later started to use the exe re-compile method ( as i also sometimes can change the icons used by the exe's at the same time ), using this last method for various little tools customization since a few years now.

This said i noted it and will keep your method in memory for the next time i will need it

Thank you.
Yanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2018, 20:09   #427  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekh View Post
Now if decoder made 100% progress (always the case with *synth) the 100ms limit is ignored.
Happy scrolling )
I'm not sure what you mean by "made 100% progress," but thanks!

I have a couple of other suggestions, if I may:

The fact that I can drag around the window contents is awesome, but what would be even awesomer would be a "frameless" mode where the raised border around the display is removed, and the video takes up the whole width/height of the window. This would be especially useful when viewing a 1920 pixel video on a 1920 pixel wide screen.

Some kind of indicator that the video is scrolled and/or not fully displayed would also be great (by the way I see odd/confusing behaviour when clicking Free adjust which I haven't figured out yet).

One thing that I would really love to see is to finally eliminate one very poor GUI choice in VirtualDub. Progress windows will display "Time elapsed" and "Total time (estimated)", but the only really important piece of information would be "Time remaining" - yet the user is left to calculate this for themselves!

Edit: oh and also a playback volume control from 0%-400%

Last edited by wonkey_monkey; 5th February 2018 at 20:54.
wonkey_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2018, 22:58   #428  |  Link
shekh

Changing ProductName/InternalName: no problem, I wanted to rename it anyway.

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by "made 100% progress," but thanks!
The simplified process looks like:
1) decode
2) copy to internal buffer
3) apply filters
4) display

After "decoder made 100% progress" means the remaining things are 2 (neglectible) 3 (often empty) and 4 (also quite fast).
There is no reason to terminate right after 1 is done.

Quote:
The fact that I can drag around the window contents is awesome, but what would be even awesomer would be a "frameless" mode where the raised border around the display is removed, and the video takes up the whole width/height of the window. This would be especially useful when viewing a 1920 pixel video on a 1920 pixel wide screen.
Do you mean like fullscreen mode in video player? I also thought about it. What is stopping me, this would require some on-screen controls to make it actually useful. Don't imagine yet what it should look like.

Quote:
Some kind of indicator that the video is scrolled and/or not fully displayed would also be great (by the way I see odd/confusing behaviour when clicking Free adjust which I haven't figured out yet).
I also had the idea of indicators.
For odd behavior it is maybe good idea to capture screen.
I didn't think free adjust is so useful.

Quote:
One thing that I would really love to see is to finally eliminate one very poor GUI choice in VirtualDub. Progress windows will display "Time elapsed" and "Total time (estimated)", but the only really important piece of information would be "Time remaining" - yet the user is left to calculate this for themselves!
Maybe it was interesting as benchmark. If you want to know when same thing runs faster/slower than before...

Btw a question: which buttons on timeline waste the space? I think there are too many, some I never touched once.
Old 5th February 2018, 23:14   #429  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

So if decoding takes more than 100ms it still might abort and drop the frame? Or is that what "Drop frames when seeking" controls?

Fullscreen is another idea, but I just meant to get rid of the icon border and put the image right against the edge of the window, so when maximised it fills the whole screen width. Great for widescreen video on a 1920x1080 screen - no more missing out a few columns on the right.

I started work on an Avisynth viewer once, a long time ago, so some of my ideas come from there... like a control to select the matrix for the internal conversion to display RGB, and also view-space deinterlacing (so framecounts remain the same, but playback could do a simple deinterlace for viewing purposes - or the option to step like this "10t, 10b, 11t, 11b...").

Quote:
Maybe it was interesting as benchmark. If you want to know when same thing runs faster/slower than before...
Perhaps... I still think time remaining is far more useful (and FPS is best for benchmarking).

Quote:
Btw a question: which buttons on timeline waste the space? I think there are too many, some I never touched once.
I only ever use Stop, for when I've pressed Ctrl-Shift-Arrow and Space alone won't stop it and I get confused Any reason Escape shouldn't be a shortcut for Stop?

A tool/shortcut I would use is to place markers on the timeline (Shift+M), along with a tool/shortcut to jump between markers (Ctrl-Left, Ctrl-Right) - maybe even with thumbnails recorded. But then you would have to start considering a project-save option...

Last edited by wonkey_monkey; 5th February 2018 at 23:37.
Old 5th February 2018, 23:51   #430  |  Link
shekh

Quote:
So if decoding takes more than 100ms it still might abort and drop the frame?
It might drop in case of progressive decoding. Example: AVI with long-gop and using VFW decoder, because it works by repeatedly decoding intermediate frames.
AviSynth always returns whole final frame.
100ms may still terminate frame if there is long & slow list of VD filters but this can be also disabled by turning off "Drop frames when seeking".

Quote:
I only ever use Stop, for when I've pressed Ctrl-Shift-Arrow and Space alone won't stop it and I get confused

A tool/shortcut I would use is to place markers on the timeline (Shift+M), along with a tool/shortcut to jump between markers (Ctrl-Left, Ctrl-Right) - maybe even with thumbnails recorded. But then you would have to start considering a project-save option...
I think I fixed all confusing key combinations.
Note that you can set hotkeys for commands from Options->Keyboard..

Edit.ToggleMarker (my key: M)
Edit.SeekStop (my key: K) - this is same as "stop" button on timeline
Edit.GoToPrevRange, Edit.GoToNextRange - they also jump between markers not just ranges

What is "with thumbnails recorded"? To save current picture somewhere, why? What is "project-save"?
Old 6th February 2018, 00:55   #431  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekh View Post
What is "with thumbnails recorded"? To save current picture somewhere, why?
To give a preview, on the timeline, of what is at each marker. Perhaps on hover.

Quote:
What is "project-save"?
To save the current state of the project - source script, markers, selection start/end, filters and their parameters, processing settings, etc.
Old 6th February 2018, 01:36   #432  |  Link
raffriff42
Retried Guesser

Full screen playback, even with no navigation controls, only Escape, would be fabulously useful for quickly evaluating a scene, an edit or whatever. Any added controls would be great too.

It is possible (but klunky) to view VirtualDub's output full screen in a media player using the built-in Frameserver. Maybe a hotkey macro to quickly set up frameserving and launch a media player..?
raffriff42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2018, 13:20   #433  |  Link
shekh

Quote:
To save the current state of the project - source script, markers, selection start/end, filters and their parameters, processing settings, etc.
This already works through File->Save project.
Also there is add-on data, an example where it is used is DrawText filter. If you put a lot of text in it (does not fit in string parameter) it will be saved as separate file attached to the filter.
Old 14th February 2018, 22:47   #434  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

Another suggestion for the list: is there a way to work around the fact that using arrow keys to step through frames is limited by the Windows keyboard repeat rate? It would be nice if it could, instead, max out to the display refresh rate, so holding down right arrow would step through frames at 60fps (or whatever it can manage). I have the delay set to "short" which maxes out at only about 40 per second, and also includes the annoying delay on the first keypress.

Last edited by wonkey_monkey; 14th February 2018 at 22:54.
Old 14th February 2018, 23:01   #435  |  Link
shekh

I'm using "scan scene forward/backward" commands for something similar. I set it to keys J,L and disable detection thresholds. However, its speed is not controlled at all, with simple videos it becomes too fast.
Old 28th February 2018, 10:29   #436  |  Link
AKBabel

I have tried to convert linear 64RGBA to sRGB (logarithmic) by “gamma correct” filter.
It works fine, but the result is somehow RGBA32 and not 64RGBA anymore.
Why is it that?
AKBabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2018, 11:29   #437  |  Link
shekh

Most filters are not updated to support high bit depth. GammaCorrect is very simple, I can update it.
Old 10th March 2018, 17:19   #438  |  Link
shekh

Changing to easy name: VirtualDub2

Full list of changes: https://sourceforge.net/p/vdfiltermod/wiki/changes/

Answering requests made here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanak View Post
if you could add a more specific name + plateform for the exes too it will be nice.
Done, VersionInfo updated.

Quote:
even awesomer would be a "frameless" mode where the raised border around the display is removed, and the video takes up the whole width/height of the window. This would be especially useful when viewing a 1920 pixel video on a 1920 pixel wide screen.
If you stretch one pane to its maximum size it becomes borderless. When main window is maximized the pane takes exactly screen width (Unless there is some toolbar).

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffriff42 View Post
Full screen playback, even with no navigation controls, only Escape, would be fabulously useful for quickly evaluating a scene, an edit or whatever. Any added controls would be great too.
There is new full screen feature. It is quite nice, I like it The "full screen" is a separate window which can be moved to different monitor (using win-shift-arrow keys). All keyboard shortcuts work and most pop-up dialogs are usable. I'm only missing the timeline control and main menu access.

Quote:
It would be nice if it could, instead, max out to the display refresh rate, so holding down right arrow would step through frames at 60fps (or whatever it can manage).
Added several new commands for fast forward/backward (available in keyboard shortcuts)
What is different compared to old "next/prev scene change" way: no need to mess with scene detection. Also it moves as long as I hold the key (there is also "sticky" version to move continuously). The rate is still unlimited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBabel View Post
I have tried to convert linear 64RGBA to sRGB (logarithmic) by “gamma correct” filter.
Now it should work in RGB64 mode too.
Old 10th March 2018, 18:21   #439  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Currently downloading, you are a star shekh, thanx very much

Old 10th March 2018, 19:06   #440  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Many thanks shekh. It's getting better and better