Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 8th May 2018, 12:39   #1  |  Link
killmoms

DGDecode locking up on "fixed" d2v files with field order transitions

I'm working on a project to make some decent encodes of Carl Sagan's "Cosmos" as I recently bought the Collector's Edition DVDs and want to have digital files in my Plex library so I'm not juggling discs. As part of that I'm passing each episode through Avisynth for dot crawl removal and de-interlacing/IVTC as they are hybrid film and video content from 1980 and thus not the cleanest video sources in the world.

However, I'm having a small issue. When I run the files through DGIndex in preparation for using MPEG2Source() in Avisynth, some episodes are getting flagged as having field order transitions. At first I was electing to have DGIndex fix these. However, whenever I pointed my Avisynth script to those "fixed" d2vs as sources, trying to use it as input for ffmpeg or open it in VirtualDub just caused a long hang. I wasn't able to figure out the format of the fix report to know where in the stream the transition started and stopped, otherwise I would've just addressed it on a per-episode basis in my script. I eventually just stopped having DGIndex automatically fix the D2V, but now (having watched through an episode or two) I think I'm catching the individual shots where there's a field order problem, as (post-QTGMC) they have a vertically blurry, shimmery quality to them.

So: has anyone else had this problem with DGIndex and decoding MPEG-2 video from DVD? Is there a guide somewhere on how to read the fix report from DGIndex so I could more readily handle the transitions in my script? Or is there some obvious step I'm missing that'd make this problem go away?
killmoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2018, 14:58   #2  |  Link
manolito

Have you tried td2vfix.exe by tritical?
It is based on DGFix by Donald Graft, but has some improvements. Maybe worth a try...

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2018, 17:56   #3  |  Link
killmoms

Sadly td2vfix is old enough that it does not recognize d2v files newer than DGIndex 1.4.6.

I didn't think the d2v/DGIndex workflow was causing any significant issues until I got to episode 5, which has a sudden audio de-sync about 40 minutes into the program. I can't decide if this is from the d2v side of things or from the PgcDemux side (which I'm using to extract the full episodes with all elements); HandBrake does not experience this when selecting the desired title and encoding directly, but I do when going through my Avisynth chain to encode with ffmpeg.
killmoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2018, 19:04   #4  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

if you are willing to put your unprocessed source file on my FTP, I will figure out what is going on and give you a solution. PM me if you want to do that. I have a lot of experience with DGMPGDec, etc.
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2018, 15:13   #5  |  Link
Taurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoh View Post
I have a lot of experience with DGMPGDec, etc.

Pardon me
Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2018, 15:39   #6  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Thanks for the endorsement.
Old 25th May 2018, 19:39   #7  |  Link
Taurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoh View Post
Thanks for the endorsement.
Ooh, I always like your sense of humor.
for your support over all this years.
Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2018, 01:31   #8  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

You're most welcome, my friend.

Looks like maybe killmoms isn't interested in a solution.