Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st October 2007, 06:56   #1  |  Link
medj22

Editing H264 Files

This is my first thread, so I hope I am posting in the right place.

I have files encoded in the h264 codec with .mkv extension. They are 268kbps and have 3 audio streams. Not that the audio streams matter because my question has to do with being able to edit these files to make music video type videos.

These files I have are about 50mb each and what I would like to do is be able to edit, cut and sync music to the video from these files to create music videos the same way you would in windows movie maker. WMM doesn't allow mkv nor will it be able to save to mkv. I was wondering if anyone knew a way I could accomplish this?

Last edited by medj22; 21st October 2007 at 06:58.
medj22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2007, 08:13   #2  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Where did you get these files? Why don't you just re-rip from your DVDs in a form that WMM can read? It'll be higher quality anyways.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 06:30   #3  |  Link
medj22

Well I have resorted to doing that and converting to the old fashioned avi in Xvid. Lately I have been very impressed with the h264 codec and I thought it would be wonderful to be able to edit video at these small sizes. My avi files are 233mb compared to the 50mb mkv. The quality looks about the same as well.
Old 23rd October 2007, 18:27   #4  |  Link
Adub
Fighting spam with a fish

So, you are looking for an NLE that supports mkv content? Not gonna happen, at least for a very long time.

I think that Sony Vegas supports h.264 content in the mp4 container, but don't quote me on that.
Old 23rd October 2007, 21:54   #5  |  Link
medj22

Well, Mp4 can also work since all I would need to do is demux the mkv and just grab the video from the mkv. I will read up on what Sony Vegas offers. Thanks for the suggestion.