Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 7th June 2015, 10:33   #481  |  Link
James Freeman

Hi Jan.

I need a shader that alters the RGB levels just like a TV or a Monitor.
NOT contrast, brightness or gamma; just R,G,B LEVELS (in floating point of course).
It should effect luma and chroma, just like tweaking the display pixels themselves.

Just remove or add Green (for example) across the whole range, without effecting the contrast or brightness.

Thanks

Last edited by James Freeman; 7th June 2015 at 10:38.
James Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2015, 17:21   #482  |  Link
JanWillem32

I don't have a clue what to implement for a "levels" control to be honest.

The RGB controls act on a linear 0 to 1 function.
-Changing the origin of the linear 0 to 1 function changes brightness (and dislodges the black and white points from their origins in the process).
-Changing the angle of the linear 0 to 1 function changes contrast (and dislodges the white point from its origin in the process).
-Applying a power function to the linear 0 to 1 function changes gamma (and keeps the black and white points on their origins in the process).
(None of the controls are really independent.)

Higher complexity than that can involve applying S-curves to the function, but these behave similar to gamma controls.
The the Multi-stage gamma controls shader also adds higher complexity in the form of allowing the user to set way-points for the gamma controls.

Beyond these functions I don't have a clue what function to add, especially one that doesn't "alter" contrast, brightness or gamma.
Old 7th June 2015, 18:20   #483  |  Link
James Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanWillem32 View Post
I don't have a clue what to implement for a "levels" control to be honest.
The RGB controls act on a linear 0 to 1 function.
-Changing the origin of the linear 0 to 1 function changes brightness (and dislodges the black and white points from their origins in the process).
-Changing the angle of the linear 0 to 1 function changes contrast (and dislodges the white point from its origin in the process).
-Applying a power function to the linear 0 to 1 function changes gamma (and keeps the black and white points on their origins in the process).
(None of the controls are really independent.)
Thank you!

Apparently it is a simple Brightness control for R,G,B which dislodges the black and white linearly.
I even think that something like this already exists.

EDIT:
I does exist!
called: brightness, contrast and gamma controls for RGB
Sorry to bother you once again Jan.

Last edited by James Freeman; 7th June 2015 at 18:26.
James Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2015, 18:57   #484  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Most graphics drivers have such settings as well, which might be easier and more universally useful.
Old 21st October 2015, 13:50   #485  |  Link
romulous

Hi JanWillem,

Any chance of an updated pack with all the new scripts, and changes you have made to the existing scripts over the years (the current pack is dated 2011)?

romulous
romulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2015, 18:17   #486  |  Link
JanWillem32

I could use some help with collecting all the newer pixel shaders and putting them into .txt files. I don't have all of them on file anymore. After that, it's going to take a while for me to re-vamp all the shaders. Some use pretty outdated methods, all of them need renewed main comments and some could use some comments in the programming details.
Old 21st October 2015, 23:56   #487  |  Link
vBm
MPC-HC Helper xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanWillem32 View Post
I could use some help with collecting all the newer pixel shaders and putting them into .txt files. I don't have all of them on file anymore. After that, it's going to take a while for me to re-vamp all the shaders. Some use pretty outdated methods, all of them need renewed main comments and some could use some comments in the programming details.
IMHO ideal would be to have repository for shaders on github or whenever xD
Old 3rd December 2015, 02:57   #488  |  Link
andybkma

Hi, new to the whole shader thing as Zoom Player just achieved support for them. My question is if there is a shader that approximates the effects of using Avisynth script Limited Sharpen Faster (LSF) in real time? Would be nice to finally stop having to use LSF in order to drastically improve the pic quality of videos. Thanks
andybkma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2015, 00:33   #489  |  Link
XRyche

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybkma View Post
Hi, new to the whole shader thing as Zoom Player just achieved support for them. My question is if there is a shader that approximates the effects of using Avisynth script Limited Sharpen Faster (LSF) in real time? Would be nice to finally stop having to use LSF in order to drastically improve the pic quality of videos. Thanks
JanWillem32 is away for a bit but to my knowledge he doesn't have any shaders like that. The best sharpening shader he has is a tweaked unsharpenmask shader intended for pre-processing.

I don't even think LSF can even be ported to HLSL? If it could I imagine it would have already been done.

There is "Adaptive sharpen" http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=172131 which can be a decent shader sharpener if used right.
Old 19th October 2017, 00:43   #490  |  Link
IanD

I'm interested in using a shader to scale 1920x1080 video to 3840x2160 using a 2x2 matrix via a lookup table, operating on each pixel in the source frame in turn, not convolving 2x2 groups of pixels (ie similar to point resize but setting each pixel in the 2x2 block to a different value based on the matrix, not setting each pixel the same as the source pixel).

Can anyone point me in the right direction of tutorials to understand how to do this, or to explain why it can't be done this way?

My 4k LG OLED TV has quantisation issues near black where the effective bit depth is less than 8 bits (for an alleged 10 bit panel). I want to see whether a simple spatial 2x2 dither of 8 bit 1920x1080 inputs to 6 bit 3840x2160 output can help ameliorate the issue, with a further development of only applying the dither to near black pixels and using a more advanced scaling for non near black pixels. I wasn't interested in a traditional diffusion dither because I think LG already uses this and it creates an obviously much noisier image.

Last edited by IanD; 1st March 2018 at 06:04.
IanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2017, 07:41   #491  |  Link
jeanlee20xx

I want play 2d as SBS,how to write the code?thank you!!!!
jeanlee20xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2018, 14:34   #492  |  Link
PCU

request: deblocker shader for low quality videos like old bink videos.
PCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2018, 05:44   #493  |  Link
JNW

I don’t think anyone ever made a deblocking shader. This is usually accomplished with postprocessing like in Potplayer. Why don’t you use ffdshow raw filter that way you can still use MPC-HC and LAV.

A good shader for MPC-HC I always thought would be Lumasharpen. Works just like in madVR https://gist.github.com/sthalik/c1b09db3465001e31144
JNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2018, 16:17   #494  |  Link
PCU

well ffdshow is dead, isn't it?
Old 20th February 2018, 17:26   #495  |  Link
JNW

Yes, that’s true but if you’re only using it for the deblocking feature it doesn’t really matter. Think of it as using a shader, they don’t get updated.
Old 20th February 2018, 19:13   #496  |  Link
PCU

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW View Post
Yes, that’s true but if you’re only using it for the deblocking feature it doesn’t really matter. Think of it as using a shader, they don’t get updated.
how to deblock this file (max payne 2 intro) correctly?
http://www.filepup.net/files/a0ba90621519150241.html
no, maybe shaders gets updated, but ffdshow (even tryouts) is 100% dead & ffdshow has lots of other features that i don't use.

Last edited by PCU; 20th February 2018 at 19:25.
Old 22nd February 2018, 20:41   #497  |  Link
v0lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCU View Post
well ffdshow is dead, isn't it?
No, ffdshow also works well as before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCU View Post
no, maybe shaders gets updated, but ffdshow (even tryouts) is 100% dead & ffdshow has lots of other features that i don't use.
The presence of additional functionality does not prevent to use only what is needed.
v0lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2018, 09:18   #498  |  Link
JNW

Thanks v0lt what I was getting at.

I've uploaded a couple of shaders. These are from the SweetFX shader pack which I had laying around from many moons ago where some were updated for better use in MPC. I'm uploading them for people running old or low spec PC (I still have one laying around myself) and are unable to use madVR to its full advantage. Simply put it in the shader folder.

The first one is LumaSharpen and better than the one I posted before as it has a default strength of 0.65 same as madVR so you don't have to go in and change it.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...55234181062890

The second is a sort of faux HDR shader to try and imitate it.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...21432233252135

As I said for low spec but maybe it will help somebody.
Old 22nd April 2018, 00:01   #499  |  Link
j82k

Is it possible to modify a shader so that it is only applied to part of the picture? I found this LCD angle correction shader here: https://github.com/zachsaw/RenderScr...orrection.hlsl

My intend is to reduce the vertical banding on my Oled TV and I think this shader could work if it can be modified to only apply to a user defined vertical column of the picture, for example from pixel 2880 to 3260. I have zero knowledge about shader writing and only got so far as to make the shader correction horizontal instead of vertical. Is what I want possible and can anyone do it??
j82k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2018, 06:43   #500  |  Link
v0lt

JNW
Can I add the LumaSharpen shader to MPC-BE?
v0lt is offline   Reply With Quote