Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 17th November 2005, 15:25   #101  |  Link
frank
Banned

Ok, thanks
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2005, 20:03   #102  |  Link
frank
Banned

DVD-R DL (Dual Layer) NOT suitable for DVD-Video

I have got a new burner LiteOn SHW-16H5S. So I could test DVD-R DL media from Verbatim.

The result:
The size of layer L0 is unchangeable and stays on max. regardless of what LB setting. In this case no LB setting is possible! The laser changes at the end of L0, and proceeds on L1. Then the leadout fills up to the inner radius, the burner has to write fully 8.5 GB.
DVD-R DL is not suitable for DVD-Video! I have spent 4 coasters for this knowledge!
Great suites like Nero have the same issue!!
Look at my last posting in the DVD burning section.

So we should disable the DVD-R DL option in PgcEdit and output a warning if you want to use a DVD-R DL (Dual Layer).

Last edited by frank; 8th December 2005 at 09:57.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2005, 20:38   #103  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

See my reply here.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2005, 13:16   #104  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

PgcEdit 0.6.2

PgcEdit v0.6.2 (December 2, 2005)
  • E. PGC Editor's cells flags: The Access Restricted and the VOBU Still flags are now availables in the Cells Type Flags editor, rather than directly in the cells list. Previously, only the VOBU Still was available. The Type Flags button contains now two values, one for each byte. Also, some of the flags labels have been changed to reflect more closely the official terminology.
  • E. PGC Editor: Added tooltips on the cell command number fields to display the current cell command. The cell commands numbers higher than the number of cell commands currently defined are now highlighted in pink. Similarily, the Prev/Next/GoUpPGCN link values are highlighted in pink if the target PGC doesn't exist.
  • E. Enable All Operations now prompts the user if he wants to remove also the Access Restricted flags on the cells of the current PGC, when this flag is set on some cells. Warning: the Access Restricted flag is especially used by the Sony ARccOS protection. In this case, it should not be removed.
  • E. Changed the listbox/entry default color to use the Windows default. Added Option -> User Interface -> White Listbox Background also under Windows and Mac OSX.
  • E. Burn DVD: a new selector button has been added to select the DL media type from the main dialog. The Sectors in L0 value in the Burn Setup window is now ignored when burning a DL+R.
  • E. Since ImgBurn is now stable and doesn't require the layer break sector number in his settings anymore, the dialog asking if the user wants to copy the layer break value in the clipboard has been removed when ImgBurn is used, and when a DL DVD-R is used.
  • E. Burn DVD: when the log is displayed, the Save button uses now by default the same filename as the ISO, but with a _log.txt extension.
  • A. A new menu "Options -> Install -> Install a plugin" has been added to help the novice user to install a PgcEdit plugin.
  • E/F. The standalone version of PgcEdit now uses freeWrap version 6.1. This solves the problem of the mouse double-clicks being passed through the file open/save or folder selection dialogs to the underlying window.
  • F. The Kill PGC playback function now appends a LinkPGCN command at the end of the pre-commands when the NextPGC link is non-zero and doesn't point to itself. Without this command, the PGC was sometimes played.
  • F. Fixed the bug in Remove Cells function of the PGC Editor that caused the function to silently fail in some occasions.
  • F. The Prohibited User Operations window was sometimes pushed below the main window when the Input Value button was used.
  • F. Import Title Closing Clip crashed if the current PGC was a PGC without a Title number.
  • F. Fixed a problem on some Windows systems where the web browser executable was wrongly considered as not executable by TCL/TK.
  • F. Burn DVD: Workaround for a problem with mkisofs on some systems: Mkisofs reports sometimes an "Invalid node - -m" error when the backup folders are not deleted. Now, when this error occur, a dialog pops-up, asking if you want to delete the backups, continue w/o deleting the backups, or cancel.

DVD Shrink plugin v1.3
  • Added function to clear the Analysis cache of DVDShrink, to force it to recompute the analysis of the already processed DVDs, or to preserve disc space.
Old 3rd December 2005, 13:51   #105  |  Link
Rippraff

Thanks a lot Roland!
But could you please put a 0.6.2.zip on the versions site? Can't find the shrink plugin, there's still 1.2 listed.

Cu Rippraff
Rippraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2005, 14:00   #106  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Hum, right. Version mismatch!
V1.2 of the DVDShrink plugin is still listed, but 1.3 is in the archive!
I will fix this problem immediately.
Thanks.

Last edited by r0lZ; 3rd December 2005 at 14:18. Reason: typo
Old 3rd December 2005, 14:12   #107  |  Link
Rippraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ
V1.2 of the DVDShrink plugin is still listed, but 1.3 is in the rachive!
You're right, just found the update and the .tcl has the same timestamp as you said.

Cu Rippraff
Old 3rd December 2005, 14:18   #108  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Anyway, it's fixed now.
Old 3rd December 2005, 14:32   #109  |  Link
CirTap

wow, yet another release. xlnt!

some thoughts about versioning: you should consider to bump the version number of PgcEdit, with 0.6.1 already being such a feature rich "update" and its partially revamped interface, it would have been worth receiving a larger incrementent: 0.7.0 :-)
I guess some people thought of 0.6.1 just being a bug-fix release because of the tiny version no. increase -- 0.6.2 could have been 0.7.1
Don't what you think of how "PgcEdit 1.0" is supposed to look like or what (more) features it should provide, but to me, PgcEdit is pretty much a 1.0 <g>

Keep up your great work!

CirTap

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
CirTap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2005, 14:51   #110  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Yes, I know. The version numbering scheme I use is not very consistant.
I increase the version number only when something very important is added, or when a major part of the program was rewritten.
Since PgcEdit is free, I don't need to wait before adding a new feature. This is why a new release often includes a mix of new features and bug fixes. It's difficult to increase the version number each time.

And, yes, PgcEdit has still a major version number of 0, because, honestly, I think there are still bugs in the code, and things that might not be very well documented, or even still yet not discovered in the DVD standard.
I hope, one day, I will be confident enough to release v1.0!
Old 3rd December 2005, 14:58   #111  |  Link
jinjin_jp

Thanks very much for new version release.
Pease upload the file linked from "all versions" click, there is the file of ver.0.6.1.
jinjin_jp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2005, 15:04   #112  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Oh, yes, another problem. I must be very tired!
Will add v0.6.2 in the all versions folder.
Thanks!
Old 3rd December 2005, 15:44   #113  |  Link
jinjin_jp

Thanks very much. I prefer the file from all versions folder, because easy to confirm version from the folder name.
jinjin_jp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2005, 15:45   #114  |  Link
CirTap

Quote:
I increase the version number only when something very important is added, or when a major part of the program was rewritten.
which was my impression for 0.6.1: lots of things changed (visually) in the GUI and you added quite a few great new features, I think it's not about how much code you added, edited, moved, but how the app shows to the user. Anyway, I woudn't mind to "avoid" a 1.0 just because this is supposed to be "bug free" - I never found any x.0 release that was :-) like the stuff from Redmond ...

Have fun,
CirTap

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
Old 3rd December 2005, 16:02   #115  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Oh, yes, v1.0 will certainly not be completely bug free. But, IMO, it should be a "stable" and complete version.
Anyway, I've also used the 0.X versioning, because it's the habit in open source programs. Not very important, though.

I hate those nasty very tiny programs doing a very simple task, but with grandiose version numbers such as v3.1 Professional, and sold for $30 or more! If you are curious enough, you discover easily that it's only a matter of writing a couple of lines of code. And often, a program doing exactly the same thing is included in Windows, or at least a freeware, more powerful version, can be found easily.
For example, have you noticed the number of more or less expensive programs to shrink a DVD? IMO, DVDShrink is still the best, and it is free!
Old 3rd December 2005, 16:20   #116  |  Link
Rippraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ
Will add v0.6.2 in the all versions folder.
Thanks!
As I asked already here.
But never mind I'm also very tired today.

Cu Rippraff
Old 3rd December 2005, 18:16   #117  |  Link
CirTap

Quote:
But, IMO, it should be a "stable" and complete version.
well, I think it's pretty stable and bugfree; it may have "annoyances" which are (I think) "Tk" related, like the stuff with the File Open dialogs: it did never crash for me, though :-) but I admit, I don't use every single feature of it.
Quote:
I've also used the 0.X versioning, because it's the habit in open source programs
hmm, hence I mentioned it. Isn't a "typical" version more of a "major.minor.release[.revision]" schema, with major.minor introducing "features" (only) and the remaining two (or one) just fixes and cleanups?
Anyway, I just thought 0.6.1 "deserved" a higher version number for it's many changes and improvements. It's your baby: you can call it want you want, or course :-)

CirTap

Old 3rd December 2005, 18:26   #118  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CirTap
it may have "annoyances" which are (I think) "Tk" related, like the stuff with the File Open dialogs
V0.6.2 should have fixed this problem! It was related to something in freeWrap, used to build the standalone executable. V0.6.2 uses freeWrap 6.1, which has not this problem anymore.
Old 3rd December 2005, 18:37   #119  |  Link
CirTap

yes, I know, don't panic! :-)
I said "like the stuff...", but that's among the things I don't consider a "bug" (in PgcEdit). I never encountered any of the troubles you "F"ixed in 0.6.2 simply because I had no use (yet) for that feature, and I presume I never double-klicked on a filename either: I usually navigate with the keyboard <g>

Old 5th December 2005, 00:11   #120  |  Link
arsmori

r0lZ - all hail v0.6.2 btw - , after I let PgcEdit move the files in preparation for a burn, I now get this error:

It's new to v0.6.2 and appear consistent. This error msg is harmless since PgcEdit already moved this dir up, just a lil FYI here .
arsmori is offline   Reply With Quote