Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th January 2010, 01:20   #1  |  Link
lariva

2 pass / crf encoding ...

If anyone knows the answer, would be much appreciated:

With 2 pass encoding we are typically setting target bitrate and use two pass run to fit

With crf setting we are going for constant quality at whatever the bitrate is.

When I encode my movies, I (as well as possibly everyone else) look for two things:

1) good quality (crf 22 for me)
2) smallest possible file i can get

Thus what I was doing was this:

first run pass with well defined crf, once the encode would complete, it would report average bitrate, that was the rate that was "needed" to achieve the quality I was looking for.

second run would be a two pass encode with a target bitrate of the bitrate reported to by the first run.

The assumption is/was is that the two pass encode would result in a better quality for a given rate and if the rate was sufficuent for a defined constant quality, net output would be 'better'/'smoother' since it would have the benefit of both, the quality and two pass analysis.

the question is: is the assumption wrong
p.s.
during both CRF encode i kept certain things (like bframes / ref frames) and ommited others for speed..
lariva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2010, 01:30   #2  |  Link
sneaker_ger

It is generally assumed that an encode with CRF and a second pass with the same bitrate as the first pass (done with CRF) will result in practically identical results(Given the same settings for both passes were used). In short: You are wasting your time by doing a second pass. You can simply save that time or invest it in higher settings for your CRF encode.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2010, 01:58   #3  |  Link
detmek

Agree. Using CRF for slow first pass and same average bitrate you got from it for second pass will give you maybe 1-2% better quality. At the cost of time (twice as long).
Use that only if you use preset placebo to get a litle more quality (if you have time).
Otherwise, just use slower settings and you will get more quality compared to your method.
detmek is offline   Reply With Quote