Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP

Old 27th March 2005, 14:27   #181  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally posted by Elias
Well no wonder then, I never use Packed Bit-Streams with my XviD encodes. Could this be the reason for why it isn't working with ffdshow? I use libavcodec for decoding all MPEG-4 video streams, and I've checked "Allow output format changes during playback" and "Connect to compatible filters only."
Sorry Elias... With regard to XviD's DSdec beta filter, I should have written: -

"encodes with B-VOP but without packed bit-stream, are not currently supported"

And I've corrected my previous statement accordingly!

Cheers
Old 27th March 2005, 20:46   #182  |  Link
m99

Is there any applet for removing packed bitstream for those that don't have .NET installed?
m99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2005, 20:53   #183  |  Link
Elias
Be Brave!

Quote:
Originally posted by SeeMoreDigital
Sorry Elias... With regard to XviD's DSdec beta filter, I should have written: -

"encodes with B-VOP but without packed bit-stream, are not currently supported"

And I've corrected my previous statement accordingly!

Cheers
I neither use B-VOP nor do I use Packed Bit-Streams.

Quote:
Originally posted by SeeMoreDigital
@Elias
Do you have one of the latest builds of ffdshow?
It works great for me.
I use this one http://www.aziendeassociate.it/cd//f...w-20050312.exe
Elias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2005, 21:24   #184  |  Link
MSlv

Quote:
Originally posted by m99
Is there any applet for removing packed bitstream for those that don't have .NET installed?
What? you don't have time for a 20 MB Windows update? Seriously now, M$'s servers are very fast and it should take you less than an hour to download... unless you have dial-up that is.
Maxtor 80 GB 7200rpm
XP PRO 5.1 (Build 2600) SP2
TDK DVDRW882N|TEAC CD-W540E|ASUS E616
MSlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2005, 01:51   #185  |  Link
m99

Quote:
Originally posted by MSlv
What? you don't have time for a 20 MB Windows update? Seriously now, M$'s servers are very fast and it should take you less than an hour to download... unless you have dial-up that is.
No, that's not the problem, have 1024/256kbps ADSL, but my PC don't have a lot of RAM.
m99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2005, 02:08   #186  |  Link
SteveHarding

Easy Fix

An easy fix - BUY MORE RAM.

Seriously, your PC needs every bit it can get - you should have at least 512MB now-adays - and it's dirt cheap.

But it should still run fine - it's a small app, so it shouldn't use too much of your RAM. And you can install .NET without using RAM, it only uses memory when you are actually running .NET applications.
SteveHarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2005, 06:53   #187  |  Link
BoNz1

Hi, is there anyway to re-write the DivX User Data ID? This changed in a recent XviD revision and I have some videos which have the new ID which seems to cause problems with my hardware player. Also, is it possible to fix user data like this?
BoNz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2005, 11:20   #188  |  Link
bond

Quote:
Originally posted by BoNz1
This changed in a recent XviD revision and I have some videos which have the new ID which seems to cause problems with my hardware player.
thats very strange, actually the the new user data has been updated in xvid to exactly enable better support for hardware players
you might want to post this on the xvid maillist, as breaking existing hardware players is surely not the goal the update wanted to achieve

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2005, 16:45   #189  |  Link
Moitah

Quote:
Originally posted by BoNz1
Hi, is there anyway to re-write the DivX User Data ID? This changed in a recent XviD revision and I have some videos which have the new ID which seems to cause problems with my hardware player. Also, is it possible to fix user data like this?
Yes, you can use MPEG4 Modifier to edit the user data.

I don't think it is incorrect to have the user data precede the VOP, and DivX does this also. EDIT: I just checked ISO/IEC 14496-2, it looks fine to me.

Last edited by Moitah; 10th April 2005 at 16:52.
Moitah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2005, 17:27   #190  |  Link
Moitah

Thanks for the screenshots. A while back I tried running MPEG4 Modifier in Linux with Mono 1.1.4, and only MPEG4 Modifier 1.2.0 or earlier would start, because of the drag-and-drop code I added to the source AVI textbox in 1.3.0. It's good to see the progress they are making, and I think it will soon run fine since I didn't use any P/Invokes. I know most of the code already runs fine with Mono, because UnpackCL uses the exact same 3 main .cs files. It's just the Windows Forms stuff that doesn't quite work yet, but it looks like they are getting close .
Old 15th May 2005, 03:32   #191  |  Link
Flashmeister

This is not a valid MPEG-4 video (startcode not found at beginning of frame)" error

Ooops... I accidently posted this outside of the MPEG4 modifier topic! Sorry for the extra post...
---
When I try to open a divX file (with MPEG4 Modifier) to unpack the bitstream, I receive the following error:
"This is not a valid MPEG-4 video (startcode not found at beginning of frame)" (See attached screenshot...)

Any idea why this would be occuring? It seems to happen with all divX files (haven't tried any other type of file).

Oddly enough, when I use the command line program (UnpackCL), it works perfectly. Just kind of a pain to have to keep switching to command prompt to fix files, so I would love to get MPEG4 Modifier working!

Has anyone seen this error before? I searched the forum but couldn't find and messages pertaining to this. Any advice on how to solve the problem?

Thanks!

Greg
Attached Images

Flashmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2005, 09:11   #192  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

I can't see the screenshot yet but.... are you sure it's a DivX5 file?

Cheers
Old 15th May 2005, 13:44   #193  |  Link
bond

note that divx3 is not mpeg-4 compliant (but also doesnt use packed bitstream)

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 16th May 2005, 00:33   #194  |  Link
robpiggott

answered my own question. sorry

Last edited by robpiggott; 16th May 2005 at 00:44.
robpiggott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2005, 15:26   #195  |  Link
Flashmeister

How do I tell what divX version a file is?

The divX files I downloaded are all recent television shows (recorded within the last couple of months), however I am unsure what format they are.

They play with the divX 5 codec that I downloaded from www.divx.com, however some files have a problem with audio sync (especially when played with my Prismiq Mediaplayer). The UnpackCL program solves this issue - just wish I could do it with a GUI (using MPEG4 Modifier).

Perhaps the files I downloaded are some weird DivX variant?
How do I tell?

I believe they are from an HDTV source, if that matters...

Thanks!

Greg
Old 16th May 2005, 15:33   #196  |  Link
bond

divx5 can decode divx3-4

try a tool, like gspot or open it in virtualdub(mod) to see if its divx3 or not

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 16th May 2005, 15:43   #197  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally posted by Flashmeister
The divX files I downloaded are all recent television shows (recorded within the last couple of months), however I am unsure what format they are.

...Perhaps the files I downloaded are some weird DivX variant?
Greg, please re-read the forum rules regarding "illegally obtained content"!

Cheers
Old 16th May 2005, 21:51   #198  |  Link
Flashmeister

Questionable content...

Not sure what you mean about illegally obtained content. I just re-read the posting rules.

I normally watch the television show in question "on air" and occasionally miss it so I keep a tape in the VCR. If I forget to put the tape in the VCR, I download the episode from the net.

Canadian law has upheld the legallity of downloaded content (yes, I live in Canada), but then again, I am not a legal expert. The CRTC might have something to say about Can-Con, but being that the show is on Canadian networks, I don't see a problem. I am sorry if my question is not legal wherever you are located. Please disregard it if this is the case.

Greg
Old 16th May 2005, 22:12   #199  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

I guess in your instance the legality of the content could be established by knowing more about where you downloaded the media.

For instance, is the web site authorized by the copyright holder?

Cheers
Old 17th May 2005, 01:01   #200  |  Link
Flashmeister

codec of file that won't open with MPEG4 Modifier

According to GSpot and VirtualDubMod, the files are XviD. See attached screenshot from VDM. I didn't see a convenient way to log or screenshot the info from GSpot.

So, MPEG4 Modifier should open it, no?

Thanks,

Greg
Attached Images