Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

 

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 31st July 2020, 18:20   #59841  |  Link
Dogway
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexkral View Post
For SDR diffuse white and peak white mean the same.
Is that how the BT2390 tonemapper works? compressing peak white to diffuse white?

EDIT: So where it says Target Peak Nits I should input 48nits? It doesn't allow any lower than 100nits which is only valid for surrounds of 5 nits -not dark surrounds-.

Last edited by Dogway; 31st July 2020 at 18:50.
Dogway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2020, 19:44   #59842  |  Link
Obveron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 5
Hi there, I'm wondering if someone might be able to point me in the right direction here. I'm trying to get 3d framepacking working.
I have Nvidia 3d 1080p/24 framepacking mode automatically being enabled when I start a 3d file. However the content is being displayed in Side-by Side mode rather than frame alternating.

my display output is set to auto, the renderer settings are set to output 3d. I'm definitely using the LAV MVC filter.
It seems to be actually mostly working, my TV is going into 1080p framepacking mode properly, the MVC stream must be decoded properly but it's showing in side-by-side mode for some reason. I can select other display outputs like over under etc and they work too, but I can't get it to output as framepacked even though my TV is going into framepacked mode just fine.


one thing to note, I had to uncheck 'use DX11 for presentation' or it would outright crash the player when opening the file.

Windows 10 1803
MPC-HC 1.9.6.7
LAV Filters 0.74.1
madVR 0.92.17
Nvidia 441.08 with 3D vision injected
RTS 2060 Super
9700k


Thanks.
Obveron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2020, 20:17   #59843  |  Link
Alexkral
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogway View Post
Is that how the BT2390 tonemapper works? compressing peak white to diffuse white?

EDIT: So where it says Target Peak Nits I should input 48nits? It doesn't allow any lower than 100nits which is only valid for surrounds of 5 nits -not dark surrounds-.
SDR should be calibrated to 100-120 nits, this way with BT.2390 a 10000 nits HDR peak white is mapped to 100 nits, and 100 nits are mapped to around 48 nits. If the HDR peak white is less than 10000 nits the compression is also less, for example, if it equals 1000 then 100 nits are mapped to around 69 nits.
Alexkral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2020, 20:37   #59844  |  Link
JarrettH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 847
Interesting measurements!

Where did the idea of using NGU AA for chroma originate? It was so long ago. I remember it reportedly still being very sharp.
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2020, 20:49   #59845  |  Link
huhn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6,578
it comes from testing images.

NGU AA super seeded nnedi3 by been mostly faster and better with similar strong points and weak points.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2020, 20:56   #59846  |  Link
Dogway
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexkral View Post
SDR should be calibrated to 100-120 nits, this way with BT.2390 a 10000 nits HDR peak white is mapped to 100 nits, and 100 nits are mapped to around 48 nits. If the HDR peak white is less than 10000 nits the compression is also less, for example, if it equals 1000 then 100 nits are mapped to around 69 nits.
That means I need two calibrations one for SDR content (48 nits) and another for HDR (100 nits), and play with TV brightness settings... Not convenient. Also films mastered at 10000 nits are rare, specially < 2010 titles.

If you are in a black box (dark surround) diffuse white should map to 48 nits, 100 nits is for mastering or dim surrounds (link1, link2).

I will ask madshi if he can allow lower target peaks, or better yet allow diffuse white mapping instead of target peak. This way we can lower SDR content from 100 nits to 48 within madVR, and do the same (via a profile group) with HDR content.
Dogway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2020, 14:50   #59847  |  Link
Siso
Registered User
 
Siso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 475
Is upgrading from GTX 1050 Ti to GTX 1660 Ti a good option for madvr?
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2020, 22:58   #59848  |  Link
Obveron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obveron View Post
Hi there, I'm wondering if someone might be able to point me in the right direction here. I'm trying to get 3d framepacking working.
I have Nvidia 3d 1080p/24 framepacking mode automatically being enabled when I start a 3d file. However the content is being displayed in Side-by Side mode rather than frame alternating.

my display output is set to auto, the renderer settings are set to output 3d. I'm definitely using the LAV MVC filter.
It seems to be actually mostly working, my TV is going into 1080p framepacking mode properly, the MVC stream must be decoded properly but it's showing in side-by-side mode for some reason. I can select other display outputs like over under etc and they work too, but I can't get it to output as framepacked even though my TV is going into framepacked mode just fine.


one thing to note, I had to uncheck 'use DX11 for presentation' or it would outright crash the player when opening the file.

Windows 10 1803
MPC-HC 1.9.6.7
LAV Filters 0.74.1
madVR 0.92.17
Nvidia 441.08 with 3D vision injected
RTS 2060 Super
9700k


Thanks.
So madvr 3d still works well with Nvidia's last official 3d vision driver, 425.31. If you use a newer driver with 3d vision injected it breaks madvr framepacking support. It will kick the output into framepacking just fine, but it renders as side-by-side despite the output being in framepacked. I suspect there's something wrong in how madvr detects the output is in 3d framepacked, it may be as simple as that new nvidia driver versions are wrongly ignored by madvr (maybe an assumption that the new drivers don't support 3d, which they do fine if you inject 3d vision into the driver)

FYI, new nvidia drivers with 3d vision works excellent in 3d games, and 3d framepacked MVC players like Stereoscopic player and PowerDVD also work fine. (but can't compare to madvr quality!)
Obveron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2020, 07:58   #59849  |  Link
ryrynz
Registered User
 
ryrynz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
Is upgrading from GTX 1050 Ti to GTX 1660 Ti a good option for madvr?
Yes, should be almost twice as capable and you'd be able to unlock much better settings.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2020, 10:26   #59850  |  Link
Siso
Registered User
 
Siso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Yes, should be almost twice as capable and you'd be able to unlock much better settings.
Sounds good, thank you.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2020, 11:27   #59851  |  Link
tp4tissue
Registered User
 
tp4tissue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
Is upgrading from GTX 1050 Ti to GTX 1660 Ti a good option for madvr?
It should work fine, but if it was me, I'd rather get a used 1080, as they're still more compatible, who knows when Madshi will fix all the bugs for Turing series cards.
__________________
Ghetto | 2500k 5Ghz
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2020, 12:15   #59852  |  Link
Asmodian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 3,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
bugs for Turing series cards.
I have a Turning, what issues are you referring to?
__________________
madVR options explained
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2020, 12:18   #59853  |  Link
Siso
Registered User
 
Siso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I have a Turning, what issues are you referring to?
Indeed, what issues?
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2020, 17:30   #59854  |  Link
SamuriHL
Registered User
 
SamuriHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 4,587
They aren't bugs, they're nVidia changes that madvr needs to be updated to handle around HDR.
__________________
HTPC: Windows 10, I9 9900k, RTX 2070 Founder's Edition, Pioneer Elite VSX-LX303, LG C8 65" OLED
SamuriHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2020, 19:29   #59855  |  Link
Siso
Registered User
 
Siso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
They aren't bugs, they're nVidia changes that madvr needs to be updated to handle around HDR.
It applies to HDR only, right? Not SDR?
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2020, 21:00   #59856  |  Link
huhn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6,578
the turing "bug" is limited to user that need to lower the present queue to avoid judder.

no one has reported that they couldn't fix this issue in the last i don't know 18 month or so...
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2020, 02:25   #59857  |  Link
jkauff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Akron, OH
Posts: 459
I have a GTX 1660 Super in my desktop (4K monitor) and a GTX 1080 in my HTPC. I use the same madVR settings on both, and they perform pretty much identically.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2020, 19:30   #59858  |  Link
Filmgeek47
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obveron View Post
So madvr 3d still works well with Nvidia's last official 3d vision driver, 425.31. If you use a newer driver with 3d vision injected it breaks madvr framepacking support. It will kick the output into framepacking just fine, but it renders as side-by-side despite the output being in framepacked. I suspect there's something wrong in how madvr detects the output is in 3d framepacked, it may be as simple as that new nvidia driver versions are wrongly ignored by madvr (maybe an assumption that the new drivers don't support 3d, which they do fine if you inject 3d vision into the driver)

FYI, new nvidia drivers with 3d vision works excellent in 3d games, and 3d framepacked MVC players like Stereoscopic player and PowerDVD also work fine. (but can't compare to madvr quality!)
Just an addendum to this... Madshi has mentioned over at Avsforum that he's got a private beta running that has apparently fixed this issue. No idea when it will be freely available, but it's good to know that there's a solution in the pipeline.
Filmgeek47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2020, 03:03   #59859  |  Link
wolfman2791
Registered User
 
wolfman2791's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 63
Guys... just take the time to learn MPV and the options, shaders, etc. I've got it looking just as good, and even slightly better, than madvr. It was about a month of learning curve (I didn't have a lot of time to spend on it). Well worth it though. Now I don't have to worry about updates that may or may not happen.
wolfman2791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2020, 05:24   #59860  |  Link
Greenhorn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman2791 View Post
Guys... just take the time to learn MPV and the options, shaders, etc. I've got it looking just as good, and even slightly better, than madvr. It was about a month of learning curve (I didn't have a lot of time to spend on it). Well worth it though. Now I don't have to worry about updates that may or may not happen.
I'd say MPV has far less than a month's learning period (maybe a long afternoon's) if you're used to editing config files by hands and reading FOSS documentation for work or pleasure, but possibly more than a month otherwise.

MPV vs MPC/PotPlayer/Zoom(?) is probably a better comparison than MPV vs madVR, and I really don't see an overlap between their target audiences at all. It's a flexible and powerful piece of software, but just absolutely not for someone who only wants to watch their collection in good quality with minimal startup time.

Stax's mpv.net is a good intermediate, but still (self-acknowledged as being) for advanced users.

Last edited by Greenhorn; 6th August 2020 at 05:31.
Greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.