Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 26th September 2013, 08:53   #20121  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Each time I made bug reports to the green force, it took them a while but they did get things done. I might as well buy an HD7950(same price as the 660 but with a 384bit memory bus) should they decide that it's not worth their time.

Last edited by leeperry; 26th September 2013 at 12:21.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2013, 12:49   #20122  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
I vividly remember reading about a bug fix in new nvidia drivers having madVR mentioned, that was like 6/9 months ago IIRC.

Anyway, all VR's are broken with the GTX660 XP drivers so either they give up on XP altogether or they fix them. Simple enough as around 50% of the computers in the world still run this caveman OS and they own the XP market as AMD gave up a while ago.
Windows XP has not been for sale since 2008. Mainstream support stopped in 2009. Six months from now, XP is officially dead.

It is time to move on.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2013, 13:12   #20123  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Now that I think of it, a HD7950 seems a far better choice than the GTX660....384bit memory bus Vs 192. I think I remember madshi claiming that textures processing on AMD's was also quite a bit faster but this might have changed though.

The last 04/2013 XP drivers from AMD will work with anything up to the 7990 and resellers are currently getting rid of their outstanding 7000 boards as the R7/9 are bound to show up, a PNP 150€ 7950 sounds quite tempting

No CUVID, though....but there's a bunch of highly efficient software decoders for AVC so all in all not a big worry. Anyway, it seems that whenever I mention XP in this thread things get emotional, I sincerely apologize to madshi for that.

Last edited by leeperry; 26th September 2013 at 13:48.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2013, 16:53   #20124  |  Link
StephaneM

Trouble when using madVR in WPF application

Hi,

I'm having some troubles when I use madVR as a renderer instead of EVR in my WPF application.

The main problem being that when using madVR, it is somehow preventing the application to respond to mouse input (also keyboard input but not completely)

This is how the whole thing is setup : a .Net 4 WPF application, with a main Window, in this window is a WindowsFormsHost control. This control does bridge WPF and Windows Form (so the message pump is provided by the WPF application)

The WindowsFormsHost does host a Form whose only purpose is to provide the video window to the renderer (EVR or madVR)

If I use madVR without taking care of threading issue, it totally locks the application and the directshow graph will never run (it builds though).

So as I suspected a threading issue : I create a new thread (MTA) where all the graph building and handling is made (I have a thread dispatcher object to marshal call from the WPF UI thread to the directshow thread)

So at this point the video window is on the WPF UI thread and the directshow graph is in its own thread. The directshow thread does not have an application message pump. This thread however is pumping events (and use ManualResetEvent.Wait(0)) so it should pump some events).

At this point when using madVR, the directshow graph does start to playback but the application doesn't respond to input (keyboard / mouse)

For the application to respond a little, I have to call a DoEvents() kind of code within my dispatcher loop (pushing a Dispatcher Frame). Then the application does respond to keyboard input (with some lag but not always) but mouse input is still dead...

At this point I don't know what to do to make it work properly...

Any ideas ?

Thanks
--
Stéphane.
StephaneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2013, 17:09   #20125  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRaistlin View Post
I suppose the best frequency for 29.970 fps is 60 Hz, but madVR changes to 72 Hz. So ReClock stays yellow. When I manually change to 60 Hz it becomes green. What can be done here?
Depends on your deinterlacing settings. If you force madVR into film mode, it will deinterlace 60i to 24p, so 72Hz is the better choice. If you don't force madVR into film mode, 60i is usually deinterlaced into 60p, so 60Hz would be the best choice. So my best guess is that you've forced madVR into film mode? Which is good, if the content is really a telecined movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephaneM View Post
The directshow thread does not have an application message pump.
I'd suggest to add a message pump to that thread, too. It might not always be needed, but it shouldn't harm, either. Just imagine one of the DirectShow filters creates a window in the context of the DirectShow thread. Without a message pump that window will be dead, which could result in deadlocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephaneM View Post
At this point when using madVR, the directshow graph does start to playback but the application doesn't respond to input (keyboard / mouse)
Look here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd377323(v=vs.85).aspx
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2013, 23:50   #20126  |  Link

Something I have noticed for a while, but never had the time to chase down the cause of, is that black level is always slightly raised when using madVR - it would never fade to black, and I had to reduce brightness by one or two steps further than should be necessary, sacrificing some shadow detail.

It turns out that the cause is madVR's dithering.
Would it be possible to disable dithering for black, or maybe even the lowest 1% of the signal, rather than having to disable dithering entirely?

Dither enabled:

Dither disabled:

I had to take some really long, high ISO exposures (30s, ISO 1,600) from the side of my TV for it to even show up in a photo, boosted to ISO 512,000 for clarity. Ignore the lights on the screen, that's just a reflection.
Old 26th September 2013, 23:56   #20127  |  Link
Plutotype

Hi folks,
Do I need to restart the PC/notebook when changing levels using madNvLevelsTweaker? Has Nvidia addressed the RGB Full/Limited levels issue ( missing full-limited instant selection )? I dont have a Nvidia GPU to test it, sorry.

Other question I need to get answer is - how much GPU intensive is 3D LUT processing on your GPU using madVR? Will this be a non issue on a Intel HD4400 and a i7 Haswell CPU?
Thanks
Peter
Old 27th September 2013, 06:25   #20128  |  Link
cvrkuth

Display Resolution Switcher

I update my OS (Windows 8.1 Pro), I have same problem again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvrkuth View Post
I noticed that when playing 1080p24 (mkv, m2ts, ts .. full screen exclusive mode, default settings) my screen goes to 23hz. Because of this, there is a drop frames every 30-40 sec.

If I uncheck 'Present Several frames in advance "(old path), my screen stays in 24hz.
cvrkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2013, 10:02   #20129  |  Link
pie1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
Something I have noticed for a while, but never had the time to chase down the cause of, is that black level is always slightly raised when using madVR - it would never fade to black, and I had to reduce brightness by one or two steps further than should be necessary, sacrificing some shadow detail.

It turns out that the cause is madVR's dithering.
Would it be possible to disable dithering for black, or maybe even the lowest 1% of the signal, rather than having to disable dithering entirely?
What model is your TV? It does not seem to happen to my Sony KDL-65HX920 with the fully black scene at those particular zone(s)...

I can tell the LEDs at those zones are entirely turned off with the pitch-black dark zoom viewing condition -- if TV set's local dimming is turned on -- even with the strong backlight at 8 (of 10). I don't think this TV would turn off the backlit even there is only 1 slightly lighted pixel at any given local zone.
pie1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2013, 12:21   #20130  |  Link
StephaneM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I'd suggest to add a message pump to that thread, too. It might not always be needed, but it shouldn't harm, either. Just imagine one of the DirectShow filters creates a window in the context of the DirectShow thread. Without a message pump that window will be dead, which could result in deadlocks.
Ok I added a message pump and still no changes (I received very few messages : WM_PAINT and some DWM notifications)

Quote:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd377323(v=vs.85).aspx
I already placed the drain on the video window host (with or without the drain, there is no changes).

So now with the message pump and a STA thread (sometimes a STA helps with some DirectShow filters) I'm still having the main window that is "frozen" at some time (will respond to keyboard / mouse input with delays or instantly...)

I bet that the WindowsFormsHost is responsible but I can't see why it's happening neither what's madVR can be doing to eat the messages for keyboard / mouse input (and probably other)
StephaneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2013, 16:05   #20131  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by pie1394 View Post
What model is your TV? It does not seem to happen to my Sony KDL-65HX920 with the fully black scene at those particular zone(s)...

I can tell the LEDs at those zones are entirely turned off with the pitch-black dark zoom viewing condition -- if TV set's local dimming is turned on -- even with the strong backlight at 8 (of 10). I don't think this TV would turn off the backlit even there is only 1 slightly lighted pixel at any given local zone.
It's an HX900.

When dither is enabled, a black signal is displayed as a mixture of 1 and 0, which activates the backlight at a very low level. It's still very dark, and was difficult to photograph at all, which is why I have the camera at a sharp angle to the TV like that. Any photos I took looking straight on at the TV were just black.

If you're in a dark room and sit off to the side of the TV, you should be able to see it with the 920 as well, unless they have changed their local dimming algorithms, allowing it to clip the lowest signal levels. Or it may be that you have brightness set to a level which clips the lowest levels.
Old 27th September 2013, 17:33   #20132  |  Link
Gagorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagorian View Post
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0gfCipWyN13MVRlUUVScS1uUXc/edit?usp=sharing

I noticed the same thing happening on my desktop with madVR, it was just harder to notice since the screen is a lot smaller, 24" vs 133". The above is a screenshot (print screen) with a portion of the lower border (resized to 500%).
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Does the same issue occur when using EVR or VMR? How about when playing the video through your computer monitor instead of your projector?

This looks like ringing. Try activating the anti-ringing filter in the madVR settings, if your GPU is fast enough for that. Of course it's also possible that the ringing is already baked into the source, then there's no way to remove it, unless you use some avisynth scripts for that.
It seems the same issue (the lines/blurring close to the picture frame border) is also visible when using EVR. It's present on both my computer (AMD HD 7950) and my projector (HTPC with AMD A10-5700 iGPU).

I'm already using the madVR anti-ringing filter and it doesn't seem to reduce this problem. The issue also seems unrelated to the source as it's visible on all content.

It seems that it isn't a madVR specific problem, but do you have any ideas what could be causing it?

Last edited by Gagorian; 27th September 2013 at 17:36.
Gagorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2013, 19:34   #20133  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagorian View Post
I'm already using the madVR anti-ringing filter and it doesn't seem to reduce this problem. The issue also seems unrelated to the source as it's visible on all content.

It seems that it isn't a madVR specific problem, but do you have any ideas what could be causing it?
It will be the source material. A lot of SD content has this problem, and even some HD content.
The anti-ringing filter can only reduce ringing caused by madVR's scaling algorithms. It will not remove ringing encoded in the source.

You may want to try using some of the softer scaling algorithms such as SoftCubic (do not use the AR filter with it) or a player which has the option to crop the edges. (JRiver will do this)

Last edited by 6233638; 27th September 2013 at 19:36.
Old 27th September 2013, 20:26   #20134  |  Link
Plutotype

Hi guys,
a friend of mine cant get his madVR/MPC-HC/LAV/reclock setup right. He has an Core i7 desktop CPU, GTX780 GPU and gets this:
http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/2907/0uxn.jpg

We cant track down the reasons for the dropped frames. What else would you check?
Thanks
Pluto
Old 27th September 2013, 20:41   #20135  |  Link
SamKook

If the number of dropped frames doesn't grow after it's first launched, it might simply be due to the switch to fullscreen. I always get a couple of dropped frames during the switch on my pc, but none whatsoever afterwards.
Old 27th September 2013, 20:57   #20136  |  Link
Plutotype

Its not windowed to exclusive switch. I think its something in the background that causes the frames go off, other apps maybe, because the playback should be fine according to the queues, they fill-up pretty well. The drops are slow but rather constant.
Old 27th September 2013, 21:14   #20137  |  Link
YxP

Is reclock at it's default settings and working? Are all other windows minimized?
YxP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2013, 21:20   #20138  |  Link
Plutotype

my friend copied these setting onto his setup:
http://www.mediafire.com/?y8x1s1u8et6s92w
Old 27th September 2013, 21:27   #20139  |  Link
ryrynz

Try disabling 'use separate device' also try disabling 'switch to matching display mode'
Also, unrelated to this issue, untick 'scale in linear light' on upscaling.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2013, 21:34   #20140  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Are you sure ReClock is actually doing its job properly?
Because it still says that it'll drop a frame every 30 seconds, if ReClock is functioning perfectly, that number should go way down to hours if not days.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling