Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 25th November 2012, 01:23   #15781  |  Link
crotecun

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivan View Post
I'm on Intel HD 3000 too.
Green line happens when video is scaled to odd height. I think this was already reported here.
Also if you resize fast (to different resolutions) player crashes.

And the worst part is banding (basically in any 10-bit video), the same as with EVR:
not_dxva2 dxva2
I thought it was just my content, I see banding on my side too.

Using madVR output, bilinear chroma and DXVA2 image upscaling -

Please don't mind the pixelisation, it wasn't there in the original. That was added from imgur converting the uploaded screenshot to jpeg.

EDIT: screenshot comparison with jinc3 ar on both chroma and image upscaling -- http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/159988

Last edited by crotecun; 25th November 2012 at 02:42. Reason: screenshot compare
crotecun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 01:25   #15782  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillars of Creation View Post
Hi madshi, I would like to advice a proposal:

Please add screensaver support while pausing video playback. Every plasma TV user will thank you...

You asked in January and he replied:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Oh well, sounds reasonably useful, I'll add it to my to do list, but with very low priority.
Also LloydA asked in September.

Quote:
Please ask again when madVR has reached v1.0. I've so many more important things to implement first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farfie View Post
For performance purposes on slower hardware. You shouldn't use it if your hardware can handle Jinc or the like. That's my understanding anyway.
Hardware de-interlacing and post-processing (noise reduction, edge enhancement, cropping etc) are benefits with DXVA also.

Last edited by ryrynz; 25th November 2012 at 01:30.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 01:34   #15783  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
Hello,
is there a way to set up custom resolutions with decimal place refreshrates like e.g. 59.94Hz on Intel?
Thanks.
With Nvidia at least, you just set 1080p59 instead of 1080p60 for example. (though there seems to be a bug that sets both to 59Hz right now)

Quote:
Hi madshi, I would like to advice a proposal:

Please add screensaver support while pausing video playback. Every plasma TV user will thank you...
This is already working on my system, on both Windows 7 & 8. I just have the standard "blank" screensaver after 10 minutes because that causes my set to turn the backlight off. Windows' option to turn off the monitor actually leaves my TV on the "blank input" screen instead.

In fact, I was going to request an option to disable the screensaver from activating while the player was paused, once more important things were taken care of.

Last edited by 6233638; 25th November 2012 at 01:36.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 01:55   #15784  |  Link
JarrettH

Quote:
Yes, and I think MPC-HC also has a setting for staying on top somewhere hidden in the options.
You know what happened is I reset my madvr settings before using 0.85 (which reset the ctrl+A anti ringing shortcut). I must have pressed ctrl+A before setting the shortcut again because ctrl+A in MPC puts the player "always on top"
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 01:56   #15785  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
In fact, I was going to request an option to disable the screensaver from activating while the player was paused, once more important things were taken care of.
Why not just request that the MPC devs implement that?
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 02:30   #15786  |  Link
Pillars of Creation

@ryrynz: Thanks for the link. I overlooked madshi's answer. This thread is very busy all the time.

@ 6233638: Won't work for me. My setup: mpc-hc (1.6.5.6243), LAV filters (0.54), madVR (0.85.1), win7 x64 and standard blank screensaver after 1 minute

mpc-hc @ overlay mixer -> black screen after 1 minute
mpc-hc @ madVR -> nothing happens

But you're right, it's not a killer feature, but a very nice to have feature, especially for plasma owners.
Pillars of Creation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 02:44   #15787  |  Link
dansrfe

I just set my screen to stop getting a signal (turn off) after 5 mins. It works like normal when MPC-HC is paused. The best screen saver is to stop sending a signal to (turn off) the screen.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 02:52   #15788  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Why not just request that the MPC devs implement that?
I agree, it does seem more like an MPC-HC request rather than a madVR one. Another reason I hadn't brought it up.

Quote:
@ 6233638: Won't work for me. My setup: mpc-hc (1.6.5.6243), LAV filters (0.54), madVR (0.85.1), win7 x64 and standard blank screensaver after 1 minute

mpc-hc @ overlay mixer -> black screen after 1 minute
mpc-hc @ madVR -> nothing happens

But you're right, it's not a killer feature, but a very nice to have feature, especially for plasma owners.
Strange, it's definitely working here whether madVR is running in Windowed, Windowed Overlay, or Fullscreen Exclusive mode.
I also tried changing the "always on top" option to see if that would make a difference, and it does not.

I'm using DXVA copy-back decoding, and Jinc scaling.
I don't know if DXVA native decoding, or DXVA scaling might affect it?

Most Plasmas should at least start to dim the screen with a static image, and some of them will enable the orbiter if they have one.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 03:22   #15789  |  Link
ajp_anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Adds some beautiful banding.
I meant the different brightness and colors. The banding is much reduced when LAV dithers to 8 bits.
ajp_anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 05:15   #15790  |  Link
rahzel

Quote:
Thanks. Could you please double check the effects of DXVA2 scaling? Does that change colors, too?
DXVA2 scaling on my AMD rig also affects color, even when using software decoding. No colored bar at the top like my intel rig, though.
rahzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 07:27   #15791  |  Link
trip_let

Quote:
Could you upload a small sample of such a material with which you see a shifted image? And please write down the "target rectangle" in the madVR debug OSD (Ctrl+J) when you see that shifting, so that I can reproduce it here. Thanks!
It indeed was about a weird target rectangle. I was trying to scale a 720x480 video exactly 2x via MPC-HC shortcut for Zoom 200%, windowed mode, with the precise amount of GUI on the screen to make that not happen on my 1920x1080 display. Video frame was set to "touch window from inside", "keep aspect ratio".
Code:
target rectangle 1, 0, 1438, 958
Anything with that precise video resolution / scaling / GUI produced the same results, so it isn't a particular video sample or unusual resolution of interest.

...fake edit: scratch that, I reproduced the problem with another video by dragging the window size (same settings as above). Video original res 240x160.
Code:
target rectangle 0, 0, 691, 460
trip_let is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 11:26   #15792  |  Link
romulous

Hi madshi,

I have a clip that locks up Zoom Player when using LAV Video (set to Copy-Back mode) as the decoder. It only happens when madVR is used as the renderer. The sample gets to about 3 seconds in, and then just stops playing - the picture stops moving, but the timeline progress keeps moving. It also locks the player, so Task Manager is required to kill it. Sample link:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/105555957/JustCause2-H264.mkv (27MB)

Not sure if it is a general madVR problem, or just something interfering with madVR on my system (NVIDIA GTX460, 310.61 drivers, Win 7 64bit). This is in windowed mode, not fullscreen - and I am not using Overlay. My video card can't handle hardware acceleration at that video resolution (1920x1200), so LAV falls back to software decoding for all three types (Copy-Back, Native, CUVID).
romulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 11:34   #15793  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
With Nvidia at least, you just set 1080p59 instead of 1080p60 for example. (though there seems to be a bug that sets both to 59Hz right now)
With Nvidia it works just fine for me, how is it bugged for you?
With Intel I simply can't add those resolutions in the GUI.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 11:38   #15794  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
With Nvidia it works just fine for me, how is it bugged for you?
Its bugged on Win8 only.
Old 25th November 2012, 12:11   #15795  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by egur View Post
As for the top green line - this happens because both Cb & Cr are zero.
Madshi, maybe, when the height is odd you should scale to a height smaller by 1 and add a black line at the bottom (in final RGB image). Since DXVA works in NV12, having odd number of lines makes little sense to the driver. In other words, there's no valid NV12 representation for odd height images.
I'm usually handling NV12 images with odd widths/heights in such a way that I support an extra chroma line/column. That seems to work fine with ATI and NVidia, but not with Intel. Anyway, I think I can simply crop the target rectangle, it shouldn't be hard to do (I hope).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Better would be to add dithering, of course.
True. Unfortunately madVR supports about 2 million different formats, so adding dithering to all of them would be quite a lot of work. It's on my to do list, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egur View Post
Madshi, do you convert 10bit to NV12 via clipping or rounding? Rounding is very cheap and may solve the problem.
I'm using rounding, if I'm not very mistaken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crotecun View Post
I thought it was just my content, I see banding on my side too.
Could I please have a short sample of this scene, too? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by romulous View Post
I have a clip that locks up Zoom Player when using LAV Video (set to Copy-Back mode) as the decoder. It only happens when madVR is used as the renderer. The sample gets to about 3 seconds in, and then just stops playing - the picture stops moving, but the timeline progress keeps moving. It also locks the player, so Task Manager is required to kill it. Sample link:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/105555957/JustCause2-H264.mkv (27MB)

Not sure if it is a general madVR problem, or just something interfering with madVR on my system (NVIDIA GTX460, 310.61 drivers, Win 7 64bit). This is in windowed mode, not fullscreen - and I am not using Overlay. My video card can't handle hardware acceleration at that video resolution (1920x1200), so LAV falls back to software decoding for all three types (Copy-Back, Native, CUVID).
Sounds weird. I'll give this a try later...
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 12:12   #15796  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

@devs:

Could you please visit this thread (discussion about custom pixel shader "specs") and post your opinion:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=166548

Thanks!
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 12:52   #15797  |  Link
Carpo

@madshi - I know you can take single screenshots with madVR now, but will you be implementing it s that it can do stepped frames? or should we just use a different render?
Carpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 12:56   #15798  |  Link
ajp2k11

Quote:
Well, as I said, it looks like a driver problem to me. There's nothing I can do about it. Maybe you should just go back to win7.
Madshi (or anyone),

been trying to troubleshoot my problem with some mkv files and madvr (they play fine using EVR/CP). It's mostly some 1080p files but also some 720p files.

Anyway, I just remuxed a problem file to mp4 using mkv2mp4 and mpc-hc with madvr plays it without any problems!? I tried just remuxing the mkv using mkvtoolnix but the new mkv didn't play.

Any suggestions? What more can I test?

(running Win8 Pro, graphics card is radeon 6650M with catalyst mobility 12.10. LAV 0.54/MadVR 0.85.1, MPC-HC b6252)

EDIT: Never mind, looks like the remux only helped on one file...

EDIT2: All files work in ZoomPlayer Free 8.5!

Last edited by ajp2k11; 25th November 2012 at 14:58.
ajp2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 13:32   #15799  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

Madshi:
The screen-capture cosmetic glitch happens when when paused (ZP always pauses before taking a screenshot).
For a split-second, whatever was in the frame prior appears. If I just run ZP play a video and press Alt+F, a black screen will appear, but if I open the navigation interfaces that appear on-top of the video and then close the navigation interface, then play a bit of video and take a screenshot, the navigation interface will pop for a split second. It appears like windows that don't get the 'wmpaint' event.

Carpo:
MadVR does seem to support frame-advance, In Zoom Player all you need to do is press "A" (pause) and then "A" again to frame-step and "Alt+F" to take a screenshot.

Last edited by Blight; 25th November 2012 at 13:36.
Blight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 19:24   #15800  |  Link
peckec

Hi,

I have found weird issue with native dxva decoding, it seems dxva2n input is not handled same way as dxva2cb.

My output settings are following:
Output format in CCC is set to Limited RGB, madvr outputs TV levels and my TV is set to Limited RGB, basically everywhere is limited RGB.

When using dxva2cb for decoding, WTW and BTB are preserved, after switching to dxva2n, WTW and BTB are cut off, also when watching Black Clipping test video, 17-25 are not flashing anymore.

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+I shows in both cases: "source levels: auto detect (TV)"

When using EVR-CP there is no such difference when changing dxva mode in LAV decoder.

setup: HD 6670, Win7, madvr 0.85.1, LAV filters 0.54.0

Last edited by peckec; 25th November 2012 at 19:28.
peckec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling