Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 23rd October 2007, 23:21   #1161  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

I've no idea if that works. I can very well imagine that some discs have audio which is simply shorter or longer than the video - without having any effect on the delay.
Old 24th October 2007, 00:07   #1162  |  Link
TruckChase!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Nice idea. But I don't know if that works.

Just extracting the AC3 frames from a Blu-Ray TrueHD stream shouldn't result in this error because eac3to shouldn't even try to get a "Nero File Source Async" instance in that case. Can I please see the command line you called eac3to with plus the full eac3to output?

P.S: Or is it a HD DVD TrueHD track? In that case there are no AC3 frames in the stream and your only chance is to reencode the audio track.
Sorry, my bad. It's HDDVD TrueHD. I was confused. Here are some other attempts:

D:\encoding\video\eac3to>eac3to.exe "e:\video\work\HDDVD\GOOD_SHEPHERD\THEGOODSH
EPHERD\HVDVD_TS\WORK\FEATURE_1_MERGED.DD+.stream.00.ec3" d:\temp\try.ac3 -640
E-AC3, 5.1 channels, 2:47:30, 1536kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
Remove Dialog Normalization information. Please wait...
Decoding eac3 file to raw. Please wait...
Getting "Nero File Source / Splitter" and "DTS/AC3/DD+ Source" instances failed.

D:\encoding\video\eac3to>eac3to.exe "e:\video\work\HDDVD\work\BLOOD_DIAMOND_HDDV
D\feature_MERGED.DD+.stream.00.ec3" d:\pleasework.ac3 -640
E-AC3, 5.1 channels, 2:23:22, 640kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
Getting "Nero File Source / Splitter" and "DTS/AC3/DD+ Source" instances failed.

I purchased the Sonic decoders first (before I fully read the cons), and those work. Doh! Perhaps I need to get the Nero 7.8.x trial or something. If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it.. I'd really like to evaluate the results before I spend $100. I'm very strapped for cash right now.
Old 24th October 2007, 00:14   #1163  |  Link
honai

You'll need the Nero HD-DVD/Blu-ray plugin, and there is no trial "or something". Not sure if you can just buy the plugin w/o the Burning ROM package.

Old 24th October 2007, 00:26   #1164  |  Link
TruckChase!

Quote:
Originally Posted by honai View Post
You'll need the Nero HD-DVD/Blu-ray plugin, and there is no trial "or something". Not sure if you can just buy the plugin w/o the Burning ROM package.
You can, and I did
Old 24th October 2007, 00:40   #1165  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
I've no idea if that works. I can very well imagine that some discs have audio which is simply shorter or longer than the video - without having any effect on the delay.
hm yes. but you should still have the information at which point both tracks begin, via the first PTS comparism and of the overall duration, when you rebuilt both tracks seperately in .evos and their lengths should differ. with these 2 options it should be possible to match the correct delay then at the muxing stage. for example, when knowing the audio is 150ms shorter at all, but later at the muxing stage its suddenly 200ms shorter you know you will have to add 50ms for delay to establish the old difference again.
this should work, unless the duration info given is not the actual info of each track, but some number written inside the .evo, which is always the same. this would be a problem then.

another thing, I just tried to test the same with the oldboy HD DVD (eac3 5.1), but after rebuilding audio and video seperately in evos the duration evodemux showed to me it only that of the 1st of the two original .evo files for both, audio and video each. the duration of a rebuilt evo including video AND audio though is fine. the file sizes are fine too, big enough to see that the complete rebuilt process actually went fine. its just the numbers are displayed wrong by evodemux. could this be possible, because I had to rename the 2 evo files, because otherwise it wouldnt have continued automatically with the 2nd evo, and by that somehow connection to other files got lost, which would be needed to have evodemux display that info correctly?

Last edited by Thunderbolt8; 24th October 2007 at 00:47.
Old 24th October 2007, 00:51   #1166  |  Link
honai

For questions regarding EVOdemux please use the EVOdemux thread.

(And yes, there are still bugs in EVOdemux.)

Old 24th October 2007, 01:06   #1167  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by honai View Post
For questions regarding EVOdemux please use the EVOdemux thread.

(And yes, there are still bugs in EVOdemux.)
nvm, Ive just redone it with the audio and the duration is displayed correctly now.
Old 24th October 2007, 01:33   #1168  |  Link
Coolpplse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Pinous View Post
If the plugin appears on that screen, I think it is correctly registered. Wrong serial shouldn't appear on that screen. What's strange is that it appears as "Blu-ray/HD DVD Playback Plug-in". Mine appears as "Blu-ray/HD DVD Video Plug-in" and it appears like that on Nero site, too...
Is it also referred to as "Blu-ray/HD DVD Video Plugin in Nero 7? Cause all versions Nero 8 and above seem to be using that name.......

and yes I did buy the plugin....

Last edited by Coolpplse; 24th October 2007 at 01:37.
Old 24th October 2007, 02:02   #1169  |  Link
woah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
hm yes. but you should still have the information at which point both tracks begin, via the first PTS comparism and of the overall duration, when you rebuilt both tracks seperately in .evos and their lengths should differ. with these 2 options it should be possible to match the correct delay then at the muxing stage. for example, when knowing the audio is 150ms shorter at all, but later at the muxing stage its suddenly 200ms shorter you know you will have to add 50ms for delay to establish the old difference again.
this should work, unless the duration info given is not the actual info of each track, but some number written inside the .evo, which is always the same. this would be a problem then.

another thing, I just tried to test the same with the oldboy HD DVD (eac3 5.1), but after rebuilding audio and video seperately in evos the duration evodemux showed to me it only that of the 1st of the two original .evo files for both, audio and video each. the duration of a rebuilt evo including video AND audio though is fine. the file sizes are fine too, big enough to see that the complete rebuilt process actually went fine. its just the numbers are displayed wrong by evodemux. could this be possible, because I had to rename the 2 evo files, because otherwise it wouldnt have continued automatically with the 2nd evo, and by that somehow connection to other files got lost, which would be needed to have evodemux display that info correctly?
this could be a evo demux bug/error so it probably has nothing to do with eacto at all. you are talking like evo demux is perfect but it isnt yet... good/great yes but not perfect..
Old 24th October 2007, 05:44   #1170  |  Link
woah!

i just remembered that there is a 73ms delay on the 2nd PEVOB if you check.

VC-1 video stream 0 found!
First PTS = 15D0DB4F

Dolby Digital Plus audio stream 0 found!
First PTS = 15D0C187

video = 4066.7685 secs
audio = 4066.6951 secs

delay = 0.0734 ms which is 73ms. i have argued this with a few people about alot of movies having delays on the 2nd EVO but gave up.

also the TrueHD track is 106ms delayed...

Last edited by woah!; 24th October 2007 at 05:50.
Old 24th October 2007, 08:56   #1171  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckChase! View Post
Sorry, my bad. It's HDDVD TrueHD. I was confused. Here are some other attempts:

D:\encoding\video\eac3to>eac3to.exe "e:\video\work\HDDVD\GOOD_SHEPHERD\THEGOODSH
EPHERD\HVDVD_TS\WORK\FEATURE_1_MERGED.DD+.stream.00.ec3" d:\temp\try.ac3 -640
E-AC3, 5.1 channels, 2:47:30, 1536kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB

D:\encoding\video\eac3to>eac3to.exe "e:\video\work\HDDVD\work\BLOOD_DIAMOND_HDDV
D\feature_MERGED.DD+.stream.00.ec3" d:\pleasework.ac3 -640
E-AC3, 5.1 channels, 2:23:22, 640kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB

I purchased the Sonic decoders first (before I fully read the cons), and those work. Doh! Perhaps I need to get the Nero 7.8.x trial or something. If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it.. I'd really like to evaluate the results before I spend $100. I'm very strapped for cash right now.
Sonic is no good for TrueHD decoding (see first post of this thread). You do need at least Nero 7 Essentials plus the HD DVD plugin.

You can get Nero Essentials 7 very cheap on Ebay. So it's not $100. It's much much lower than that.
Old 24th October 2007, 08:58   #1172  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckChase! View Post
You can, and I did
But the plugin doesn't work on its own. It needs at least Nero Essentials 7 to be installed, as far as I can say.
Old 24th October 2007, 09:00   #1173  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
this should work, unless the duration info given is not the actual info of each track, but some number written inside the .evo, which is always the same.
As I said before, I think that the duration info is a number taken from an info block in the EVO file which has nothing to do with the audio/video data.
Old 24th October 2007, 09:02   #1174  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolpplse View Post
Is it also referred to as "Blu-ray/HD DVD Video Plugin in Nero 7? Cause all versions Nero 8 and above seem to be using that name.......
Are you using Nero 8? That won't work. Nero 8 forcefully blocks Nero's Audio Decoder from being used outside of Nero ShowTime. You need to install Nero 7.
Old 24th October 2007, 09:05   #1175  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woah! View Post
i just remembered that there is a 73ms delay on the 2nd PEVOB if you check.
Timecodes/delays of the 2nd EVO don't have any meaning for overall audio delay of the whole movie. You need to think of the two EVO files as being one. They just happen to be split somewhere. The way they are split often results in timecode differences in the 2nd EVO file. But that doesn't really help us to find the delay needed for the whole movie.
Old 24th October 2007, 12:10   #1176  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
As I said before, I think that the duration info is a number taken from an info block in the EVO file which has nothing to do with the audio/video data.
is there any way to determine whether that is always the case?
when I open these rebuilt evos with mediainfo the delay is mostly slightly different compared to what evodemux tells me. so could it be possible that mediainfo maybe reads the actual length of the tracks (at least when it 'seems' to display the info correctly, sometimes I just get durations like 3 hours something for a rebuild video evo for whatever reason. in this case the info is not reliable of course).
Old 24th October 2007, 16:26   #1177  |  Link
TruckChase!

Quote:
But the plugin doesn't work on its own. It needs at least Nero Essentials 7 to be installed, as far as I can say.
Ahh, I didn't think of trying a cheaper, older version. I'll see if I can locate and purchase a copy of 7.8.5 (I'm running Vista) and give it a try tonight. At least then people wouldn't have to shell out a $125 to use the decoder.

Edit: It's ALIVE! It's ALIVE! (evil laugh) Looks like Nero 7.8.5 is the way to go. Fortunately it can be had for pretty cheap if one looks on Froogle. All seems well now, thanks!

Last edited by TruckChase!; 24th October 2007 at 20:13.
Old 24th October 2007, 21:30   #1178  |  Link
XolocoTuxmaster

First of all, thanks madshi for your program, is awesome, I never thought deconding HD tracks would be "so simple" nor we'd have it so early. I have read all your comments in these 59 pages, but I still have some doubts:

As I understand, except for DTS HD-HR and 7.1+Dialnorm TrueHD, this program allow us to extract all HD tracks information 100% lossless, right?

I mean, if I have a 24 bit 5.1 TrueHD from a Sony movie, writing this

eac3to src.thd dst.wav

I'd get the bit per bit original uncompress track packed in a wav file, with no lose of information nor unsync or whatever? So I wouldn't have to apply delay, raise volume or something, right?

I also wanted to know in which is the lower Scenearist version that contains 4.3
Old 24th October 2007, 22:29   #1179  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XolocoTuxmaster View Post
As I understand, except for DTS HD-HR and 7.1+Dialnorm TrueHD, this program allow us to extract all HD tracks information 100% lossless, right?
That's right. You can also decode DTS-HD-HR, btw. You just cannot transcode it to anything else without either losing audio quality or increasing file size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XolocoTuxmaster View Post
I mean, if I have a 24 bit 5.1 TrueHD from a Sony movie, writing this

eac3to src.thd dst.wav

I'd get the bit per bit original uncompress track packed in a wav file, with no lose of information nor unsync or whatever? So I wouldn't have to apply delay, raise volume or something, right?
Correct - with one exception: You may have to apply a delay. I've not figured out yet how to automatically apply the correct delay programmatically. However, applying a delay just costs you time. It doesn't reduce audio quality in any way.
Old 25th October 2007, 06:06   #1180  |  Link
Coolpplse

Quote:
Are you using Nero 8? That won't work. Nero 8 forcefully blocks Nero's Audio Decoder from being used outside of Nero ShowTime. You need to install Nero 7.
I was using Nero 7.5.7.0, I got so frustrated with this thing I called Nero's Tech Support and told them about the problem, apparently they gave me the wrong key so they gave me a new one and told me to upgrade to 7.10.1.0. Now it displays the Blu-Ray/HD DVD Video Plug-in and eac3to works!!!!!!!!!!

for the help Madshi and everyone else in this thread
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to