Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 28th July 2016, 20:24   #38961  |  Link
ionutm80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionutm80 View Post
But in my case we are not talking about interlaced video as the flag showed by MediaInfo clearly states 25fps progressive and I can confirm that is was ripped from a PAL DVD Disney movie.
Did LAV ignored the flag and forced a deinterlacing w/o being the case?
Case closed
I have put no software deinterlacing in LAV and now there are no more repetead frames and movie info in madVR shows 25fps instead of 50 fps.
ionutm80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2016, 21:14   #38962  |  Link
huhn

all mepg2 dvds are interlanced i can only guess that this DVD doesn't need an deinterlancer and works fine without. but that a guess.
media info is not 100% reliable.

the repeated frames are still a bug "somewhere"

if it is in madVR or lavfilter is sending work frame times or if the file is "broken" i have no clue.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2016, 02:30   #38963  |  Link
Stereodude

Is there a flag for 3D that can be used to pick profiles? I didn't see anything in the 3rd post. I see HDR, but no 3D.

Or is there some other way to identify when madVR switches to 3D (frame packed) output?

Edit: 3D is a valid boolean value for profiles. The profile guide in post 3 is outdated.

Last edited by Stereodude; 1st August 2016 at 05:00.
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2016, 06:47   #38964  |  Link
AntonP

Quote:
Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
You would have no visible drops with 23.971 with reclock either. I've been using it this way for years. You may have to clean out the timings in reclock config so it can learn the 23.971 refresh rate. As far as I know for 3d, you get 23.971 with Nvidia. I tried making a custom refresh rate with nvidia and the 3d got amazingly messed up. I gave up on the Nvidia at this point as I'd like to be able to try DTSX and Atmos and they need to bitstream with 23.976.
Reclock cant adapt 23.976 to 23.971, it hasnt such an option (usually its 24 or other STANDART refresh rate).
And 24fps movie + 23.971 refresh rate = drops
AntonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2016, 08:56   #38965  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Hopefully not to bring begin a chroma discussion yet again here.. but I'd totally recommend you evaluate super-xbr 100 and 125 AR in comparison to Recon soft + SR1.
You are quite right, super-xBR + SR1 is very nice, I think I will switch to super-xBR 100 + SR1. I had tested super-xBR for chroma when it was first added but with the current SR1 I like the look of super-xBR for chroma upscaling a lot more. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonP View Post
Reclock cant adapt 23.976 to 23.971, it hasnt such an option (usually its 24 or other STANDART refresh rate).
And 24fps movie + 23.971 refresh rate = drops
Reclock adapts the audio to your actual measured refresh rate. This is why it has its video clock database that you can clear, it is constantly measuring and updating the audio speed adjustment to keep everything in perfect sync. Watching 23.976 video on a 23.971 Hz display, without frame drops or audio skips, is what Reclock is for.

As far as I know there are no 24fps movies, I have never seen one anyway. Almost everything is 24/1.001 fps.
Old 29th July 2016, 11:07   #38966  |  Link
stefanelli73

With classic blu ray you must activate the HDR functions madVR or not?
stefanelli73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2016, 11:11   #38967  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
You are quite right, super-xBR + SR1 is very nice, I think I will switch to super-xBR 100 + SR1. I had tested super-xBR for chroma when it was first added but with the current SR1 I like the look of super-xBR for chroma upscaling a lot more. Thanks.
NP. Hope you ticked AR. I still think SR1 is a tad over the top with chroma and prefer to just notch up to 125 myself.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2016, 11:28   #38968  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
that's not how it works.
film in lavfilter is just halve frame rate deintelerancing which is usually not recommand at all. because they are not restoring the orginal frame rate.

if the source is interlanced than it has 60/50 fields worth of 60/50 different frames so film mode in lavfilter is "just" throughing halve of them away.

than we have interlanced content that is PsF and don't need a deinterlancer.
and we have telecine which is 24 frames on 60 fields (and other stuff) the film mode in lavfilter is not restoring these the film mode in madVR is.

if the source is telecine a IVTC (film mode) algorithm is clearly better.

50i usually needs a deinterlancer or can be treated progressive.
Yes, thanks for the correction.
Old 29th July 2016, 12:30   #38969  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanelli73 View Post
With classic blu ray you must activate the HDR functions madVR or not?
Classic Blu-rays are not HDR, so you do not need to do anything there.
Old 29th July 2016, 12:56   #38970  |  Link
ibius

Quote:
As far as I know there are no 24fps movies, I have never seen one anyway. Almost everything is 24/1.001 fps.
Of the top of my head, Yip Man (2008) is 24.000 fps, and I recently watched 5 to 7 (2014), also 24fps, there were others, can't remember now.
ibius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2016, 14:42   #38971  |  Link
Sparktank
47.952fps@71.928Hz

Quote:
There are.
Some regional blurays outside of North America and UK will sometimes transfers movies in 24fps.
Intel Xeon X5660 @2.80GHz
Sparktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2016, 21:50   #38972  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparktank View Post
There are.
Some regional blurays outside of North America and UK will sometimes transfers movies in 24fps.
Yep. Don't forget that 23.976 fps only really exists because of legacy reasons. Films are usually shot at 24 fps and some are transferred to BD like that.
DragonQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2016, 01:04   #38973  |  Link
Sunspark

Quote:
NP. Hope you ticked AR. I still think SR1 is a tad over the top with chroma and prefer to just notch up to 125 myself.
Honestly, I feel chroma Bicubic 60 AR paired with image Jinc AR is a good combination. The image doesn't get oversharpened, and the colour has a smoother almost creamier tonality to it.

A video test I believe that helps prove this is the first few seconds of the opening of the movie the Revenant. The entire movie is filmed in natural light. The bit where the boy is backlit by the flames, with bicubic 60 AR you see a soft red glow around him on the ground. With some of the other chroma algos this glow seems to be faded or less saturated.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2016, 02:35   #38974  |  Link
Sparktank
47.952fps@71.928Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
Yep. Don't forget that 23.976 fps only really exists because of legacy reasons. Films are usually shot at 24 fps and some are transferred to BD like that.
I'm fully aware of that. I have been for a long time but it's good to let others know.
Intel Xeon X5660 @2.80GHz
Sparktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2016, 11:10   #38975  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
On 720P anime which is already reasonably detailed these settings come across to me to be quite excessive and would likely be harming image quality considerably, debanding at maximum for 720P?
How bad are these videos?

The first thing you should be doing is viewing high bitrate videos, I keep mine on low, set a shortcut to change it if the source requires.

On 720P I usually just upscale with NNEDI3 (which doesn't make that much of a difference on a 1080 screen TBH) downscale with SSIM 1D without AB maybe do some reasonable SE and CE sharpening and that's it. Line thinning was kinda useful on some soft ~640x480 anime I had but it even at lower settings in some areas didn't produce good results which is why I asked madshi about adding warpsharpen to madvr which is considerably better for anime.

Link me a sample file that you feel your settings look good on and upload your settings.dat and I'll do a screenshotcomparison vs what I would use.
I might be able to make you reconsider what is considered good image quality.

Madshi, would it be possible to add to madVR the ability for it to remember settings for certain videos?

For example if I watch a video that has poor color and lots of banding and I hit a couple of hotkeys to change these defaults, could another hot key be pressed to remember those changes for any future videos played within that directory? That way if watching a series the user doesn't need to perform these adjustments again and again.

I actually like the smoothing effect that debanding on high has.

One observation though, for some anime* reducing ringing and reducing halos thingies can degrade seriously the gradients and the overall quality of the image.
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2016, 11:16   #38976  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Debanding as set there has nothing to do with the banding due to lack of dithering, in fact on high/high it would make it worse by blurring details that help disguise the banding caused by rounding down (instead of dithering) madVR's internal 16-bit data to 8-bit.

Are you watching close to a large low resolution display?

Debanding high/high? Thin edges 8.0? Sharpen edges 4.0? Dithering off?

I watch mostly anime and I would never use anything like that and strongly recommend no one use them unless testing for themselves. Definitely settings that should not be recommended generally.
Those settings give off a sensation of higher quality / resolution without adding color noise, or creating what I call false texturing.

The idea for anime is that some color portions are supposed to be smooth, not have a certain color noise texture. I want to erase that texture and be left with very smooth gradients on full color areas.

Dithering is a cause of [false texture]. It adds a texture that is not supposed to be there. And because madVR has a high bit depth, I am able to use no dithering, otherwise it would look really awful. Testing through many settings, for Dithering to work nicely on off, one has to select 10 bit in Devices -> Properties.

Then again, some people might expect color texture instead of smooth color gradient areas, and as such, might not fully like these settings.

Observation: Not all anime look their best on these settings, since some anime intentionally have a texture, that if erased, the entire thing looks awkward, this type of setting works best with most anime, not all.
Old 30th July 2016, 11:19   #38977  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
Happy Happy Joy Joy then, what matters is that you like what you see coz at the end of the day the only thing that matters is your own satisfactshun.

All this said I have no idea how anyone can bear having any of the two dithering sub-options enabled so maybe you could try vanilla ED2 with both of these pesky things disabled as one makes the noise dance around on top of the picture and the other creates very faint color fringing
I will keep testing, It's a pretty nice hobby

One thing though, when testing all dithering features, I still can't escape the new texture created thingy (?)

I do wonder why we would need dithering at 10 or even 8 bit.

It's easily visible on what dithering brings to the table on less than 8 bit processing, but it's unclear on what the advantages are on more than 8 bit processing. If someone wants to post comparation images that can show a visible advantage, I'm very curious. When doing this, also have activated debanding on high, since that alleviates all other problems that ditehring was supposed to.
Old 30th July 2016, 11:36   #38978  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgel View Post
One observation though, for some anime* reducing ringing and reducing halos thingies can degrade seriously the gradients and the overall quality of the image.
If you're aware of limitations on certain content with reducing ringing please upload before and after screenshots or a sample, thanks. The halo reduction as stated in the options isn't recommended for anime.
Old 30th July 2016, 11:57   #38979  |  Link
huhn

it is not hard to show why dithering is needed.

dithering
no dithering

it is needed for correct color anyway.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2016, 12:33   #38980  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
it is needed for correct color anyway.
He's aware that he's destroying his image and he's okay with it

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling