Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 28th March 2018, 03:04   #49881  |  Link
brazen1

@Manni

Your recent post re: DCIP3 vs BT.2020 has confused me. I understand you are relaying what works for you on your JVC 12bit but I'm seeing a problem on my Samsung 10bit and not sure if what you say applies to me as well? According to your info, if I use BT.2020 for HDR10, it should be best because I'm inside the spectrum and not on the cusp of the smaller spectrum - DCIP3. Or does this not apply because I'm peaked at 10bit and still within the smaller spectrum?

My HDR titles look the same no matter if I use BT.2020, DCIP3, BT.709, or disable calibration controls. Forget that I'm dialed back to 8bit output because of the banding issue. I reset to 12bit to test. Shouldn't I be seeing a big difference in color when I toggle these using HDR 10bit titles? Fwiw, it is in HDR mode and it looks very good using any of those. Just no difference between any of them. I'm fairly certain this is because I'm passing HDR through and I'm sending metadata to the display but if memory serves me right, so are you? I couldn't find the post where you clarified that so excuse me if I'm making a wrong assumption.

If I select BT.2020, HDR looks fine but SDR looks under saturated. SDR 8 or 10bit only looks good if I select DCIP3 or BT.709. So, I could use BT.709 and satisfy SDR and HDR, but I think the spectrum is smaller using BT.709 even though in my case it shouldn't matter due to I can't see a difference playing HDR. So, I use DCIP3 and satisfy SDR and HDR this way. Would it be better to profile SDR with DCIP3 or BT.709 and create another profile for HDR and set it to BT.2020 or one the others?

I'm concerned that my HDR titles don't respond to any of those settings and I'm confused how best to satisfy SDR and HDR? I'm hoping you and/or others might chime in and advise me. If you guys were me, how would you select the relevant settings?
I setup custom modes today with the new driver at 8bit and not 12 because of the banding (until 10bit is released if they ever step up and actually do it) and forced to drop it down if that matters. But I did test in 12bit.

Last edited by brazen1; 28th March 2018 at 03:22.
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2018, 03:19   #49882  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxkolonko123 View Post
madvr osd on 1080p 24 fps movie is like that : h264, 8bit, 4:2:0 -> NV12, 8bit, 4:2:0

With HDR movie madvr doesnt have the second part after 4:2:0 like u see above in 1080p movie osd
This is simply because madVR has a special case for H.264. For H.264 madVR reports both the source format and the format it received, in your example the source is h264 8bit 4:2:0 and madVR received NV12 surfaces of 8bit 4:2:0 video. For other codecs (4K is usually HEVC) madVR only reports the format madVR received from LAV Video.
Old 28th March 2018, 04:17   #49883  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
DCI-P3 is irrelevant for consumer content. Unless you only use MadVR, which can convert to any gamut you want, BT2020 is the correct option.
I believe you are only talking about your JVC's BT.2020 option? It is doing the conversion (tone mapping, etc.) and it knows the source gamut so why does it even have a setting? Shouldn't it simply map to its native gamut?

This is just about how it does HDR tone mapping when using its different options, it cannot be applied to any other TVs or projectors.

Quote:
So selecting DCI-P3 in MadVR would only be correct if a DCI-P3 calibration was made in the JVC, which isn't an option unless you create and upload with the Autocal software a specific DCI-P3 colour profile. Out of the box, the correct choice is therefore BT2020 if you want a wide color gamut, and so BT2020 should also be specified in MadVR, otherwise the colors will be wrong inside the gamut.
Again, this is only on your display. I believe you for your projector but for most HDR displays, in their wide gamut mode, setting DCI-P3 in madVR is more correct for SDR content or if madVR is doing the tone mapping to SDR. With SDR setting BT.2020 will map BT.709 into BT.2020 and then the display will display it in its native gamut without doing another conversion.

For HDR content it is different, I don't have as much calibration experiance but my TV assumes the source content is BT.2020 when doing its tone mapping. Its HDR mode works better when the 3DLUT maps to HDR BT.2020 or "process HDR content by using pixel shader math" targets BT.2020.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
does this not apply because I'm peaked at 10bit and still within the smaller spectrum?
No, bit depth and color gamut are independent. Using too wide of a gamut with too low of a bit depth can cause banding but 12 bit does not allow you to display more intense colors, only to have more steps between colors.

In wider gamuts all brightness levels of pure red are simply more red. BT.709's pure red is a shade of orange in BT.2020. Actually displaying BT.2020 would take something like lasers of the precise wavelength so pure red does not stimulate the human green or blue color sensing cells at all, and the same for the green and blue light sources.

All that said, which options do you have on your display? Do you have BT.2020, DCI-P3 or BT.709 options? My TV only has "wide" (close to DCI-P3) and "enhanced" (closer to BT.709). I leave it on "wide" and would use DCI-P3 for SDR in madVR if I did not use 3DLUTs.

For HDR what options are you using in madVR? With "passthrough HDR content to the display" the setting in the calibration page does not apply, the metadata has that information and the display handles any conversions.

Last edited by Asmodian; 28th March 2018 at 04:21.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2018, 05:00   #49884  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Yeah i did, but other funny thing as well is that whenever i try to change refresh rate from 59hz in nvidia, to any other like 23hz 24hz etc, its automatically change back to 59hz
The fact that you can't switch to 23Hz in the control panel doesn't sound good. I'm assuming the movie switches to 23.976Hz when played? Did you set up madVR's display modes?

I would first update my GPU drivers if you haven't already. If this persists, then set everything to 8-bit RGB. You really won't be missing much as the difference between 8-bits and 10-bits is hard to notice during normal viewing. It is not one of the important settings in madVR.

As for the 4:4:4 thing, I'm guessing your PC input is 4:4:4 and your other inputs are 4:2:2. That image you are using is 1080p, to my knowledge, so that could skew the results. But that is the most likely scenario.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2018, 05:07   #49885  |  Link
Warner306

Yes, as Asmodian said, HDR mode is not used with calibration settings in madVR. madVR sends the gamut, transfer function and metadata, so there is no conversion. The only exception is HDR -> SDR conversion. What you have to worry about is your SDR calibration. Also known as the standard mode on your display when nothing HDR is played.

The gamut could remain wide, but, with proper calibration, it should not exceed 100-120 nits of luminance.

Last edited by Warner306; 28th March 2018 at 05:12.
Old 28th March 2018, 08:52   #49886  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
The fact that you can't switch to 23Hz in the control panel doesn't sound good. I'm assuming the movie switches to 23.976Hz when played? Did you set up madVR's display modes?

I would first update my GPU drivers if you haven't already. If this persists, then set everything to 8-bit RGB. You really won't be missing much as the difference between 8-bits and 10-bits is hard to notice during normal viewing. It is not one of the important settings in madVR.

As for the 4:4:4 thing, I'm guessing your PC input is 4:4:4 and your other inputs are 4:2:2. That image you are using is 1080p, to my knowledge, so that could skew the results. But that is the most likely scenario.
Hey,

Yeah i did install newest nvidia drivers 391.24. My modes in madvr are like that 2160p60, 2160p59, 2160p50, 2160p29, 2160p30.

Here is the screenshot from 1080p movie https://imgur.com/a/R6COj
So i dont really know if it does switch to 23.976hz ?

Here is screenshot from from 2160p HDR movie https://imgur.com/a/UT4Bx

About the chroma pattern image, im using right now hdmi input YCbCr in nvidia panel and i can see both numbers clearly in full screen.

But when set to Full RGB and change black level on TV to high/auto then i cant see just the shade off 422 but 444 is not visible at all, both scenario in hdmi label input on TV.

I just notice that i can change refresh rate in nvidia panel but when no playing any movie, then refresh rate stay to what i choose, but once i play movie it automatically change to 59hz

Last edited by maxkolonko123; 28th March 2018 at 08:57.
maxkolonko123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2018, 09:28   #49887  |  Link
jespermart

unc path

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
How to configure profile rules:

The madVR settings profiling logic is very flexible, but also requires a bit of scripting for best effect. Script language is pretty easy. Basically scripting is expected to be a string of "if", "else if" and "else" statements. Every "if" (or "else if") statement contains of one or more value comparisons and selects one profile to be activated. Each value comparison must be placed in brackets. By using the logical operations "and" or "or" you can check multiple values to create more complex decisions.

Let's look at an example. The following script selects one of 4 profiles, depending on the source dimensions and the frame rate after deinterlacing. I think the script is pretty much self explaining:
Code:
if      (srcWidth <= 1050) and (srcHeight <= 768) and (deintFps < 31) "SD 24fps"
else if (srcWidth <= 1050) and (srcHeight <= 768)                     "SD 60fps"
else if                                               (deintFps < 31) "HD 24fps"
else                                                                  "HD 60fps"
Supported keywords and operators:
Code:
if/else statements:     "if", "else if", "elseif", "elsif", "else"
logical operators:      "and", "or", "&&", "||"
equal check:            "==", "="
unequal check:          "!=", "<>", "#"
bigger/smaller check:   "<", ">", "<=", ">="
boolean "not" operator: "not", "!"
Supported numerical values:
Code:
srcWidth, srcHeight                              src width/height (cropping according to settings)
croppedSrcWidth, croppedSrcHeight                cropped   src width/height
uncroppedSrcWidth, uncroppedSrcHeight            uncropped src width/height
AR, uncroppedAR, encodedAR                       cropped AR (aspect ratio), uncropped AR, encoded AR, 
targetWidth, targetHeight                        width/height after scaling (cropping according to settings)
croppedTargetWidth, croppedTargetHeight          width/height after scaling cropped   source
uncroppedTargetWidth, uncroppedTargetHeight      width/height after scaling uncropped source
scalingFactor.x/y                                overall scaling factor
fps, deintFps, bitDepth                          source frame rate, framerate after deinterlacing, bitdepth
displayMode.x/y, refreshRate                     display mode information
runtime                                          movie runtime (in minutes)
Supported boolean values:
Code:
4:2:0, 4:2:2, 4:4:4, RGB     which pixel format does the source have?
HDR                          is the video HDR?
srcInterlaced                is the source interlaced?
filmMode                     is film mode (IVTC) active?
MPEG2, VC-1, h264            which codec is the source encoded in?
exclusive, overlay, windowed rendering mode
fullscreen                   is playback borderless fullscreen (can be windowed or exclusive)
AMD, nVidia, Intel           which GPU manufacturer are we rendering on?
smoothMotion                 is smooth motion FRC active?
variableAR                   does this video have variable ARs?
hdr                          is the video HDR?
battery                      is this a laptop running on battery?
Supported string values:
Code:
mediaPlayer                   media player exe file name
filePath, fileName, fileExt   e.g. "c:\movie.mkv", "movie.mkv", "mkv", wildcards supported
display                       name of the active display device
One more example to show how to use numerical, boolean and string values:
Code:
if ((not 4:2:0) or (AR = 16:9)) and (fileName = "*horribleSubs*.mkv") "Weird profile" else "Normal profile"
Does the scripting support unc path
jespermart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2018, 11:46   #49888  |  Link
mclingo

unfortunately MADSHI doesnt feel my colour issue with DIRECT3D11@23hz is a MADVR problem even though it only occurs with MADVR, I dont agree there isnt much I can do, if anyone else has similar issues can they post.

recap:
Happens only with AMD RX generation cards ( think)
I only see if with SDR material running @ 23hz
happens only when "use DIRECT3D11" ticked in MADVR
Putting TV in PC mode corrects the problem.

i'm going to log this on AMD forums but there isnt really much for AMD to go really as it only happens with MADVR, doubt they will even bother to look at it. The reason others havent picked up on this yet is may that there still arent that many 4K HDR TV owners out there using MADVR with RX cards, at present only one other person has reported similar issues.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2018, 12:02   #49889  |  Link
huhn

ok let's see that this happen with MPDN with 3d11?

Quote:
Putting TV in PC mode corrects the problem.
this alone is resason enough that it is NOT a madVR problem.

edit: ahh yeah the AMD forum is not there to report GPU driver bugs it is there to get help from other >user< NOT from AMD.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2018, 13:10   #49890  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
ok let's see that this happen with MPDN with 3d11?

this alone is resason enough that it is NOT a madVR problem.

edit: ahh yeah the AMD forum is not there to report GPU driver bugs it is there to get help from other >user< NOT from AMD.

its a difficult one this, the fact that other renderers can process colour correctly at the same resolution, refresh rate and TV mode suggest that MADVR is getting tripped up somewhere by something, not that there is a fault somewhere in a GPU driver, surely if that were the case they'd all get tripped up.

Obviously MADVR is doing things differently to other renderers but this is the reason why you call it a bug with MADVR and not with the AMD gpu driver, they wont wirte their drivers to work with MADVR, surely its up to MADSHI to write MADVR to work with their drivers. AMD's response if the was one would likely be what is MADVR doing that all other renderers are not?

I've got a workaround that works for now, not a fan of workarounds as a like a simple setup but MADSHI is busy and i'm already eternally grateful for all the work he's already done so it wouldnt be fair to put further pressure on him.

if this doesnt get fixed its not the end of the world but I'd still like it to be acknowledged as a bug with MADVR and not with the GPU driver.

However, if MADSHI does nothing at all with this but still continues to develop MADVR i'll be happy enough with that.
Old 28th March 2018, 13:23   #49891  |  Link
mclingo

i've never installed or used MPDN before, i'll have a look tonight, if its fine in MPDN what does that tell us though?
Old 28th March 2018, 13:58   #49892  |  Link
FDisk80

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
Out of interest, why are people setting custom resolutions in NVIDA when they can be created in MADVR without any fuss, is it so you can create custom bit rates and colour space as well, I dont know much about the NVIDIA side of things though.
Since nvidia broke the support for custom resolutions it doesn't work anywhere, trying to set it in madVR also doesn't work anymore, it gives you this error when you try.

It just doesn't allow any new modes to be added. Just the default ones that are already there can be applied. I'm guessing nvidia changed some security setting that doesn't allow some registry keys to be changed if it recognizes that an HDTV is connected. I'm not really sure. Maybe there is some registry tweak that we can do to allow new modes to be created again.

Last edited by FDisk80; 28th March 2018 at 14:06.
FDisk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2018, 13:59   #49893  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
@Manni

Your recent post re: DCIP3 vs BT.2020 has confused me.
99.99% of consumer commercial UHD HDR content (mostly UHD Blurays) is mastered to BT2020 with a D65 white point. A few titles are mastered in UHD rec-709 SDR (such as The Fourth Phase), but they are really a handful.

Out of these BT2020 titles, 99.99% are graded on a monitor with DCI-P3 capabilities, but they are still using a BT2020 container. A few titles (more and more as both grading displays and consumer displays evolve) are starting to use beyond DCI-P3, so report a grading monitor with BT2020 capability.

For the user, it doesn't matter. The only correct calibration to use for consumer content is BT2020. It doesn't matter if the capability of the consumer display is limited to DCI-P3 or not (most are), the saturations/calibration has to be BT2020.

If your display only says "wide", then you have to measure it (not only at 100% saturation, but also within the gamut at say 25%, 50% and 75%) in order to establish if the calibration tracks DCI-P3 or BT2020 saturations. For example, on the JVCs, the first HDR models had a reference mode that tracked DCI-P3, which was incorrect. I had to create a BT2020 color profile tracking BT2020 (even if the native gamut was still not wider than DCI-P3) to reproduce HDR content correctly. JVC soon after released exactly the same calibration to correct their initial error.

There is no way to know which display is doing what, so whether they are doing it correctly or not. The only thing I can tell you is that consumer content (ie content you purchase, not early demos) are almost all using a BT2020 container. So you have to use a BT2020 calibration if you want to reproduce the colors correctly.

That is in passthrough mode or with sources other than MadVR.

If you use HDR to SDR conversion, then you simply have to either select what the source expects (for example, the UB 900 or the Oppo 203 players will output SDR BT2020 or SDR BT709 with a power gamma of 2.4, so you should select a calibration that does the same), or if you're using MadVR you can tell MadVR what your display is calibrated to, and MadVR will do the conversion for you.

So if you use only MadVR and are happy with the HDR to SDR mode, you can tell MadVR to convert to DCI-P3, and it will do it. But if you want to use the same calibration with other sources, then you have no other way than creating a BT2020 calibration, because no consumer source will ever output DCI-P3. DCI-P3 isn't a consumer format. It won't be in any consumer content, and it won't be sent by any consumer source.

So you have two ways to approach this:

- If you want consumer HDR sources other than MadVR to use the same HDR calibration, or if you want to use MadVR in passthough mode, you have to create/select a BT2020 calibration.
- If you only use MadVR, or if you can create a 3D LUT converting to whatever your display needs, or if you're happy with MadVR HDR to SDR conversion, you simply have to know which gamut your display is tracking in it's "wide" mode, and specify this to MadVR / use the correct 3D LUT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I believe you are only talking about your JVC's BT.2020 option? It is doing the conversion (tone mapping, etc.) and it knows the source gamut so why does it even have a setting? Shouldn't it simply map to its native gamut?

This is just about how it does HDR tone mapping when using its different options, it cannot be applied to any other TVs or projectors.

Again, this is only on your display. I believe you for your projector but for most HDR displays, in their wide gamut mode, setting DCI-P3 in madVR is more correct for SDR content or if madVR is doing the tone mapping to SDR. With SDR setting BT.2020 will map BT.709 into BT.2020 and then the display will display it in its native gamut without doing another conversion.

For HDR content it is different, I don't have as much calibration experiance but my TV assumes the source content is BT.2020 when doing its tone mapping. Its HDR mode works better when the 3DLUT maps to HDR BT.2020 or "process HDR content by using pixel shader math" targets BT.2020.
No, not just my display, it depends on each display but the above applies to any display. It also depends if you're using a different calibration for SDR BT709 and HDR BT2020, or if you're happy to have MadVR convert everything to a single calibration (usually the widest).

It's not an option with projectors because you lose a lot of performance in either HDR or SDR if you use the same calibration for both.

It is risky to assume that because the native gamut is closest to DCI-P3, its "wide" setting, because it measures close to DCI-P3, is actually tracking DCI-P3.

It might be the case if it's an early HDR display, an SDR display or a poorly/wrongly designed HDR display, but it shouldn't really. It should be tracking BT2020 saturations.

You have to understand the distinction between the maximum native capability (the edge of the gamut) and the way the calibration tracks within the gamut.

If your display is a HDR consumer display and has a valid/decent HDR mode, it should be using a BT2020 calibration so that it tracks properly BT2020 content, even if the edge of its native gamut doesn't go beyond DCI-P3.

Otherwise you will have correct colors at the edge of the gamut, but incorrect colors within.

This changes if you're using an HDR to SDR calibration with MadVR, or if you're using 3D LUTs to convert from one gamut to another.

This is frankly off topic here, but you are making a lot of wrong/risky assumptions in what you are describing.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K

Last edited by Manni; 28th March 2018 at 16:44.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2018, 14:09   #49894  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDisk80 View Post
Since nvidia broke the support for custom resolutions it doesn't work anywhere, trying to set it in madVR also doesn't work anymore, it gives you this error when you try.

It just doesn't allow any new modes to be added. Just the default ones that are already there can be applied. I'm guessing nvidia changed some security setting that doesn't allow some registry keys to be changed if it recognizes that an HDTV is connected. I'm not really sure. Maybe there is some registry tweak that we can do to allow new modes to be created again.
have you tried tweaking the timings at all by a single digit, I was doing that with my 1050 to try and maximise the frame drop internal, I say that as some of the timings gave this error suggesting they were out of scope, you might find one thats close enough to use in the meantime.
Old 28th March 2018, 15:15   #49895  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
its a difficult one this, the fact that other renderers can process colour correctly at the same resolution, refresh rate and TV mode suggest that MADVR is getting tripped up somewhere by something, not that there is a fault somewhere in a GPU driver, surely if that were the case they'd all get tripped up.

Obviously MADVR is doing things differently to other renderers but this is the reason why you call it a bug with MADVR and not with the AMD gpu driver, they wont wirte their drivers to work with MADVR, surely its up to MADSHI to write MADVR to work with their drivers. AMD's response if the was one would likely be what is MADVR doing that all other renderers are not?

I've got a workaround that works for now, not a fan of workarounds as a like a simple setup but MADSHI is busy and i'm already eternally grateful for all the work he's already done so it wouldnt be fair to put further pressure on him.

if this doesnt get fixed its not the end of the world but I'd still like it to be acknowledged as a bug with MADVR and not with the GPU driver.

However, if MADSHI does nothing at all with this but still continues to develop MADVR i'll be happy enough with that.
yes madVr does something different is is able to use d3d11 for presentation. you even point out that this is the problem...
Old 28th March 2018, 15:29   #49896  |  Link
mclingo

thats only half the story though, putting my TV in PC mode and leaving DIRECT3D11 ticked produces the correct image, as does turning off refresh rate switching and having movies play at 60hz, none of this makes sense, its not as simple as just saying either its a D3D problem or a GPU driver issue, you cant say that until you know the exact cause, I dont think anyone does.

Last edited by mclingo; 28th March 2018 at 15:43.
Old 28th March 2018, 15:29   #49897  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Hey,

Yeah i did install newest nvidia drivers 391.24. My modes in madvr are like that 2160p60, 2160p59, 2160p50, 2160p29, 2160p30.

Here is the screenshot from 1080p movie https://imgur.com/a/R6COj
So i dont really know if it does switch to 23.976hz ?
Read the first line, "display." Your display is not switching to 23.976. Are you sure your display supports this?

A list of available refresh rates for the connected display can be viewed in Windows:
  • Right-click on the desktop and select Display settings then Advanced display settings;
  • Choose Display adapter properties -> Monitor;
  • A list of compatible refresh rates is shown in the drop-down.

As for the HDR movie, it doesn't look like passthrough is active. Are you using passthrough? Does your GPU and display support HDR playback?

And the 4:4:4 image? Don't worry about it. There is nothing you can change in madVR to alter this. The mode you are using might be 4:2:2, but this won't matter too much. Look up your display on Ratings.com for more technical information.
Old 28th March 2018, 15:49   #49898  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
thats only half the story though, putting my TV in PC mode and leaving DIRECT3D11 ticked produces the correct image, as does turning off refresh rate switching and having movies play at 60hz, none of this makes sense, its not as simple as just saying either its a D3D problem or a GPU driver issue, you cant say that until you know the exact cause, I dont think anyone does.
sorry but you don't known what correct it...
if mpdn has the same problem it is clearly not a madVR problem.

everything points at your TV everything...
Old 28th March 2018, 16:00   #49899  |  Link
mclingo

both my TV's are doing it, my EF950 2015 OLED and my 2016 Samaung MU7000 so its not my main TV, its something to do with my GFX card, I acknowledge that as it didnt do it when I put the NVIDIA 1050 in, however, the question is, does a tweak need to be made in MADVR or with the AMD driver or elsewhere to resolve this, thats the question we need answering, I would have thought MADSHI was the only person who could answer that.

What if MPDN doesnt have the same problem, its definitely MADVR then?
Old 28th March 2018, 17:52   #49900  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
If your display is a HDR consumer display and has a valid/decent HDR mode, it should be using a BT2020 calibration so that it tracks properly BT2020 content, even if the edge of its native gamut doesn't go beyond DCI-P3.

Otherwise you will have correct colors at the edge of the gamut, but incorrect colors within.
This is good info and an important way to think about these issues.
However, I did a lot of measuring and I am pretty convinced that for SDR my display is best used with madVR by setting DCI-P3 in madVR. If I set BT.2020 in madVR it is under saturated everywhere, not simply at the edges.

Quote:
This changes if you're using an HDR to SDR calibration with MadVR, or if you're using 3D LUTs to convert from one gamut to another.
I think you misunderstood my post because I completely agree with you when the display is in HDR mode. It is only in its SDR "wide" mode that it seems to be calibrated to DCI-P3. I never have the TV in HDR mode while watching SDR content.

You are in a weird situation because the options on the calibration page in madVR normally do not affect the output when watching HDR content on an HDR display. For HDR setting DCI-P3 or BT.2020 is only an option when using "process HDR content by using pixel shader math", and when using that option almost everyone should use BT.2020. Again, this is only on madVR's hdr page, not its calibration page.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling