Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 29th November 2016, 02:24   #21381  |  Link
CruNcher

@nevcairiel

Any idea how to improve this Nvidia Hybrid Decoder situation with Lav DXVA ?

every DXVA implementation shows the same latency problem with it and DXVA copy-back is still sub optimal CUVID Performs the most stable with it on EVR CP but CUVID is not the optimal at playback for the Fixed Function Decoder there DXVA is.

I guess a viable solution to this problem could be using CUVID for the Hybrid Decoder as preferred and DXVA for the Fixed Function Decoder.

The more complex the Bitstream the more problematic this issue becomes here on the GTX 970.

Nvidia Hybrid HEVC Decoder EVR-CP DXVA Native Latency issue

Lav DXVA

Lav CUVID

you see their up to 20 ms render spikes with DXVA it stutters like crazy with CUVID the present is ultra smooth either Windowed or Fullscreen.

PS: i will close this case now as for me finally i can exactly reproduce it and i can be sure that this is the exact issue and have to reevaluate a lot now based on it (First testing different EVR-CP implementations and how they behave with the CUDA Decoder and DXVA).

Especially finding the exact reason now why the CUDA Decoder behaves like that with DXVA and EVR-CP (very unstable) on my System of course it would be rather nice if some LAV DXVA Nvidia Maxwell users could maybe try to reproduce it on their Systems under at least similar properties (Maxwell HEVC Cuda Decoder DXVA and EVR CP presumably on Windows 7) especially if they where surprised why Bitstreams that would rather fall absolutely in the Decoder Specs behave problematic like that with DXVA and spiking like crazy on the present render times.

The major difference is the Core Frequency with CUVID it stays with the sample test above constantly @ 1126 MHz CPU: 23% GPU 22%

DXVA Native want's to go down immediately to 7xx MHz rises up to 1126 but present latency doesn't improve.

And when DXVA Copy Back decides to go as low as Memory 747 MHz and Core 911 MHz it goes totally out of sync.

And becomes a mega present disaster

It seems Nvidia never really tested the CUDA Decoder on something like EVR-CP and it's reliability their with DXVAs Dynamic Frequency Decisions.

It completely fails to understand how to get the playback stable it seems the Frequency decisions taken are totally wrong for the CUDA Decoders stability.

I guess there is really no other way to maintaining stability for the CUDA Decoder then to switch Dynamically to CUVID for this specific Playback Scenario.

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 29th November 2016 at 23:18.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 08:59   #21382  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
The next nightly (ie. tomorrows) should support those streams.
Working good. (not that I expected any different)
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2016, 13:57   #21383  |  Link
Kotik

There is an issue with 3D subtitles, specifically in Life Of Pi, the 3D effects of the movie cut through the subtitles.

I am opening the proper .mpls file directly from the disc, using latest lav nightly and latest madvr.

The other issue is with my Avatar 3D disc, with this one if I open directly the .mpls then the 3D subtitles have the correct 3D depth but if I repack the movie with makemkv then the subtitles are not getting the correct 3D depth, I noticed that makemkv is picking up 00852.mpls as "Title 0" and if I play directly this .mpls then the subtitles have the proper depth, this could be a makemkv bug.

Regarding Life Of Pi though there is no makemkv involved so I tend to believe it is a splitter issue.

Thanx in advance.

PS. My tv is passive 3D and the movies themselves are playing fine.

Last edited by Kotik; 1st December 2016 at 13:59.
Kotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2016, 15:25   #21384  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

@Kotik, sounds like 2 different issues:

1) MakeMKV created MKV files not working properly. Could be MakeMKV's or LAV's fault.

2) Life of Pi not working correctly, even when playing the .mpls file directly. This could be madVR's or LAV's fault. Can you create a Life of Pi sample? MakeMKV obviously isn't suitable for that. We'd need all the Blu-Ray supports files (like playlists etc), plus a small portion of the movie m2ts file.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2016, 18:29   #21385  |  Link
Kotik

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Can you create a Life of Pi sample? MakeMKV obviously isn't suitable for that. We'd need all the Blu-Ray supports files (like playlists etc), plus a small portion of the movie m2ts file.
Here are the essential files from the Life Of Pi 3D bluray disc. Keep in mind i didn't include any video files cause i am not sure how am i supposed to cut a small sample of a .ssif fille.
Old 1st December 2016, 18:46   #21386  |  Link
NikosD

@Cruncher

If I understand correctly your final review on the subject is that on specific environment (Maxwell, Hybrid HEVC decoder, Win 7, EVR-CP) the CUVID (CUDA API on top of DXVA) hybrid HEVC decoder is better in playback difficult streams than DXVA native/ copy-back.

Did you try other decoders/ implementations for your specific environment, like Cyberlink's or PotPlayer ?

If I were you I wouldn't spend so much time testing HEVC hybrid decoder.

I would go to fixed-fuction HEVC decoder, buying new hardware of course.
NikosD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2016, 19:30   #21387  |  Link
CruNcher

Revisiting another test case issue (Scenecut Spikes)

Lav Video/MPC Video

Lentoid

PTC works better for LAV Video but creates still 1 down spike at least per scenecut (perceptible stutter)

Really interesting how much more of the Samsung ATEME Kyrion Encoder Streams have this issue actually that Lentoid avoids very successful.

@NikosD

Yes i tried MPDN Renderer it works ok with DXVA Copy Back and Lav Video for the CUDA Decoder but it has major issues with stable Multithreaded CPU Playback with Lav Video (decoding queue stalls very fast) compared to EVR-CP in MPC-BE

Also Potplayer works rather ok with its D3D Renderer but jitters to much with DXVA Copy Back on EVR-CP compared to CUVID with the CUDA Decoder as well.

@Aleksoid1978 and VictorLS

Quote:
3. Aleksoid1978's patches very great too, i.e. LAVFilters-0.68.1-35.exe (10МБ) https://yadi.sk/d/M5KOnw9YyoQWo with "hacky workarounds" - possibility to uncheck Use HQ DXVA processing - and with unchecked Enable Adaptive HW Deinterlacing I see same deinterlacing quality (can anyone check?) but RussiaHD.ts and such other files and SAT channels are playing without artifacts and with hardware acceleration in LAV Video Decoder in Win7. I haven't to install LAV CUVID Decoder anymore - one LAV Video Decoder with NVIDIA CUVID hardware acceleration quite enough for me now in all ocсasions.
There is a mjor problem with Aleksoids HQ DXVA Processing patch addition to Lav Video CUVID is not gonna work with every Stream that way if HQ DXVA Processing is disabled and is falling back to the CPU Decoder instead of CUVID.

I can play now your RussiaHD.ts without block distortions with Lav CUVID but LG_4K_View-the-Feeling.ts for example doesn't want to work anymore with CUVID with HQDXVA option disabled many other streams as well fail now and falling back to the CPU Decoder, the patch looks not that stable yet.

So this workaround practically is for now pretty much needed to be done fully manual on first sight of the Decoding issues and reverted back for other streams that might not interop with it at all

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 1st December 2016 at 23:49.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2016, 23:35   #21388  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotik View Post
Here are the essential files from the Life Of Pi 3D bluray disc. Keep in mind i didn't include any video files cause i am not sure how am i supposed to cut a small sample of a .ssif fille.
From the metadata files alone I can't see anything wrong. It marks the 5 PG streams with 5 different subtitle offsets, and LAV reads those fine.

For further samples - LAV doesn't read the .ssif file, it reads the two split m2ts files.
In this case, 01217.m2ts for the 2D view, and 01218.m2ts for the 3D extension.

You can split them with any binary file splitter, on Linux I would just use the "dd" tool for that...
Old 2nd December 2016, 09:21   #21389  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

@Kotik, at which runtime is the first subtitle (of any language) which has an incorrect 3D depth? If it's very early, you should be able to simply truncate the 2 m2ts files (mentioned by nevcairiel) after a couple hundreds MBs. If you need help how to do that, let me know, it's pretty easy with a decent (freeware) hexeditor.
Old 2nd December 2016, 13:05   #21390  |  Link
Kotik

I am currently uploading a 1GB chunk for each .m2ts file, it is going to take some time since my line has slow upload speeds.

I believe i will be done in around 3 hours.
Old 2nd December 2016, 16:05   #21391  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

And the problem can be reproduced with these chunks? If so, that'd be great! Might make sense to send the link to nevcairiel and me via PM instead of posting them here in the forum, because we don't want to violate any copyright stuff. Just chasing bugs...
Old 2nd December 2016, 17:33   #21392  |  Link
Kotik

I think I have sent to both of u a message with the links, but I am not sure if u got it, the last days the forums behave weirdly. If u didn't get any pm let me know.
Old 2nd December 2016, 17:42   #21393  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I didn't get anything.
Old 2nd December 2016, 17:47   #21394  |  Link
Kotik

Well i actually think private messages are down
Old 2nd December 2016, 17:48   #21395  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Now i got a whole bunch of them. Crazy forum is falling apart. But I can't open them because I get a error 500.
Old 2nd December 2016, 17:50   #21396  |  Link
Kotik

Exactly.... i am getting error 500 when sending them
Old 2nd December 2016, 17:56   #21397  |  Link
Kotik

Just sent them again, this time without hyperlinks still got an error 500
Old 2nd December 2016, 17:57   #21398  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I managed to trick the forum by directly opening them in the reply window (manually fudging with the url ftw), and got to the links now.
Old 2nd December 2016, 17:59   #21399  |  Link
Kotik

Great!!!
Old 2nd December 2016, 23:31   #21400  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

On my end everything looks fine. I didn't check on a 3D screen yet, but LAV Splitter reads 5 different offset ids for the 5 PGS subtitle streams (ids 1 to 5 for the 5 streams), and the decoder reads per-frame offsets for those 5 ids and reports them to the renderer (in total it reads 32 offsets, but only the first 5 are used for subtitles, which is pretty common for Blu-rays to just declare all 32 offset slots even if most are zero)

There is about 30 seconds of subtitles at the end of the samples, can you confirm the issue already exhibits right there? The sample goes until around 04:40 (until "I was named after a swimming pool"). And if so, with which subtitle stream specifically?

Last edited by nevcairiel; 2nd December 2016 at 23:51.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter