Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 17th August 2009, 04:31   #2201  |  Link
arrirc
Aminei

Hello Stax

Thank you for developing this program. the latest beta version is excellent. But I was little disappointed to find that there is not much in terms of XviD encoding profiles.
So two requests:
1. Could you please add more XviD encoding profiles?
2. And is it possible to add a feature (like in AGK) to encode the credit parts in different settings (like in Greyscale, or maybe 40% of original quality) than the main feature?

Two little problems:
1. As I tried to cut off a very small portion (about 10 frames), I found that StaxRip crashed every time. If I do not apply the Cut function, then there is no problem, StaxRip flies through the encoding process.
2. As I tried to hardcode the subtitle, StaxRip gave an error at the end related with failed encoding, though as I checked the resultant file, it was perfectly encoded in XviD (AVI container) with the subtitles hardcoded flawlessly.

Could you look into these matters please?

Thanks again.

Last edited by arrirc; 17th August 2009 at 04:58.
Old 19th August 2009, 13:09   #2202  |  Link
burfadel

Just wondering whether EAC3TO can be added as an option for audio. It would be very handy in the case of DTS tracks being available, not to mention other features that would make it a valuable alternative to the very old and probably never going to be updated Besweet. EAC3TO is still being updated and from what I can tell supports all the features required by Staxrip. I tried manually changing the output settings, however since with EAC3TO you set the output format by the filename, the current .mp4 audio extension won't work with it (.m4a output extension required).

Also can -no-mbtree (dsiabled by default) be added to the x264 options, along with rc-lookahead, subme 10, and nr?
Thanks!
Old 19th August 2009, 13:28   #2203  |  Link
stax76

Guys, I'll take a look at the stuff, your feedback is detailed which is important.

Everybody please always remember the more detail you provide, the more things I can fix and add, there is a whole lot things I don't use like HD so without detailed feedback I have little motivation to work on such things.

Last edited by stax76; 19th August 2009 at 13:31.
Old 19th August 2009, 15:34   #2204  |  Link
arrirc
Aminei

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
Guys, I'll take a look at the stuff, your feedback is detailed which is important.

Everybody please always remember the more detail you provide, the more things I can fix and add, there is a whole lot things I don't use like HD so without detailed feedback I have little motivation to work on such things.
Thank you very much Stax. I shall try to recreate the crash generated while cutting very few frames and post the log here in case that helps you. And do please give a serious thought to the 2 suggestions/ requests I have made.
Old 20th August 2009, 21:54   #2205  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
What happened to the x264 anime encoding profiles that were available in 1.1.1.0?
MeGUI support was removed because it was too hard to maintain and because x264 has now built in profiles.

Quote:
Does anyone know if StaxRip will support or does support ass subs enhanced features?
Is this format supported by vsfilter, mkvmerge or mp4box?

@TBKHomeworld!

Thanks for sharing the videos, I've added it to the tutorial list in the initial post of this thread.

Quote:
Could you please add more XviD encoding profiles?
Currently I don't have plans to add more profiles.
Quote:
And is it possible to add a feature (like in AGK) to encode the credit parts in different settings
There is such a feature, there is a menu item in the preview.

Quote:
As I tried to cut off a very small portion (about 10 frames), I found that StaxRip crashed every time.
Does it happen always or only under certain circumstances?
Quote:
As I tried to hardcode the subtitle, StaxRip gave an error at the end related with failed encoding, though as I checked the resultant file, it was perfectly encoded in XviD (AVI container) with the subtitles hardcoded flawlessly.
Was there a message related the error in the log file?

@burfadel

I'll add m4a support and the new x264 options.
Old 21st August 2009, 07:48   #2206  |  Link
MoboTech

stax76

can you please add a logo filter on the next version? I want to place a logo watermark corner on the video.

Their a possible solution on this page: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=102652&page=77

But it's too confusing. Please help...
Old 22nd August 2009, 02:21   #2207  |  Link
stax76

@MoboTech

I don't have time unfortunately for such special things.

@burfadel (or other x264 and eac3to users)

I have added the new x264 switches, do you know min,max,skip values for -nf and --rc-lookahead?

Also please suggest some eac3to command lines.
Old 22nd August 2009, 02:47   #2208  |  Link
linyx
Un-Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
Also please suggest some eac3to command lines.
Eac3to is really rather simple.
In VB 9.0 for you :

Code:
        EncodeAudio.Arguments = """" & AudioIn & """" & " " & """" & AudioOut & """" & " -quality=" & AACQuality.Value & " " & Delay.Value & "ms"
In regular commandline:
Code:
C:\Eac3to\Eac3to.exe "C:\Movies\Movie1\Audio DELAY -32.dts" "C:\Movies\Movie1\EncodedAudio.mp4" -quality=0.3 -32ms
One thing, while I think NeroAacEnc and BeSweet use the lower value = higher quality, Eac3to uses higher value = higher quality (still between 0-1).
Old 22nd August 2009, 03:25   #2209  |  Link
burfadel

Quote:
Originally Posted by linyx View Post
Code:
C:\Eac3to\Eac3to.exe "C:\Movies\Movie1\Audio DELAY -32.dts" "C:\Movies\Movie1\EncodedAudio.mp4" -quality=0.3 -32ms
Isn't it meant to be .m4a for NeroAAC output? Thats the only reason why it can't be manually added at the moment, because Staxrip enforces the .mp4 output (as selected from the dropdown box 'Output Type', no .m4a available) which prevents it from encoding.

The line above is very close to what it should be, however the delay being insertable (like current), Neroenc quality should be 0.4, and when encoding .ac3, .dts, .thd etc the ability to use the -mixlfe -down2 (downmixing to 2 channels), and -phaseshift (improves downmixing effect...), but also allowing to encode to AAC using the original channel layout (AAC supports 6 channel etc).

The other eac3to settings aren't really beneficial for this scenario.

In terms of x264, I believe the range of --nr is 0 (default) to 65536 (65535?), however the maximum is very strong. You'd want say 0-500 as weak, 501-1000 as medium (, 1000-1500 as strong, 1500-9000 as very strong and >9000 as extreme. Setting -nr can improve the visual look of encodes, but since its after the x264 input it will almost always degrade PSNR and SSIM values despite the high potential for an improved picture. So maybe a sidenote saying Lowers SSIM/PSNR, but potentially improves visual quality

As far as rc-lookahead goes, the maximum is 250 and the lowest is 0, but you wouldn't want to set it lower than 20 (maybe enforce that as the lowest setting). If keyint is set to less than 20, which you wouldn't really do anway, then rc-lookahead is set to keyint apparently. A higher RC-lookahead requires noticeably more memory, 40 is the default. When setting above say, 80, a side not should read 'Large memory requirements) and above say 120, 'Extreme memory requirements'

Thanks!
Old 22nd August 2009, 04:59   #2210  |  Link
linyx
Un-Registered User

Quote:
Isn't it meant to be .m4a for NeroAAC output? Thats the only reason why it can't be manually added at the moment, because Staxrip enforces the .mp4 output (as selected from the dropdown box 'Output Type', no .m4a available) which prevents it from encoding.
I have no problems using MP4 as an aac container (I have encoded tons of stuff directly to MP4). It allows me to easily listen to the track before actually muxing it with the video.

Quote:
The line above is very close to what it should be, however the delay being insertable (like current),
The delay is "insertable" give it a value of 0ms and it works fine.
Quote:
Neroenc quality should be 0.4
Why? it gives a bitrate of over 300kbps (generally) and would be far higher than the normal ~200 given by BeSweet.
Those are just my thoughts anyway.
Old 22nd August 2009, 06:51   #2211  |  Link
burfadel

Oops, my mistake in regards to .mp4, for some reason a while back under Vista x64 it wasn't working, but reinstalled and now using Win 7 x64 and its fine... have no idea why that would be!

It would only be as high as 300kbps if you are encoding all the audio channels in terms of 6 channel audio, encoding in stereo the bitrate will be much closer to 100kbps. The current Staxrip AAC 110-150kbps profile has the audio set to 0.5! (asuming source is stereo of course), with 50-90kbps profile currently at the 0.3. The issue is, the whole idea of using eac3to is to get the better dts sound quality where available (even if downmixed to stereo), of course it still applies to all other sources, but it seems little point if you encode to whats considered a low quality AAC file! I used to encode to 0.3 myself, it can be hard to tell the difference most of the time on standard speakers, but get a set of really good speakers or through a proper home theatre system (especially if you put DTS Neo:6/Dolby Pro Logic IIx/other internal 'surround' mode) and you can hear the difference between 0.3 and 0.4.

Of course, the above can just be the difference between having different sound profiles for AAC/Eac3to, like there is currently with AAC/NeroAAC.

How about:
Low Quality 2ch (Stereo) output: (note the -down2 -mixlfe -phaseshift in each case, its ok to have them there even if source is stereo)
-quality=0.3 -down2 -mixlfe -phaseshift

High Quality 2ch (Stereo):
-quality=0.4 -down2 -mixlfe -phaseshift

Low Quality Surround (if available):
-quality=0.3 -down6

High Quality Surround (if available):
-quality=0.4 -down6

For stereo sources, it doesn't matter if people select the 2ch or the surround profiles, but for surround sources the 2ch settings will output 2ch, and the 'Surround' settings will output all the channels that were present in the source.

The -down6 on the surround profiles is there because I *think* NeroAAC only supports a maximum of 6 channels? If I'm completely wrong then you can get rid of the -down6 command
Old 22nd August 2009, 20:08   #2212  |  Link
OblivionKnight

I'm massively using this great tool (version 1.1.1.3b).

Despite of some bugs, I consider it the best GUI all around because of it's capabilities to batch processing and heavy customization.

Great job Stax!

I made some usefull profiles for those who have an iPhone or iPod Touch.

Just go on Filter section and then Profiles. In [Resize] section you can add this line:

Code:
iPhone  = ((%source_width%*2)>(%source_height%*3)) ? Spline36Resize(480,(int(480*%source_height%/%source_width%+8)/16*16)) : Spline36Resize((int(320*%source_width%/%source_height%+8)/16*16),320)
This easy script will resize automatically any video stream in order to fit in a iPhone/iPod Touch resolution (480x320) mantaining original AR rounded on the nearest mod 16 number.

I hope that someone will enjoy this automatism.

Bye!

PS: Forgive my poor english.
Old 22nd August 2009, 21:00   #2213  |  Link
stax76

@burfadel & linyx

Thanks for the infos, there will quite a few x264 related improvements, I've not yet looked into audio stuff.

@OblivionKnight

Thanks for sharing the resize profile, I wonder if StaxRip can do without such a script, wouldn't work the following:

1. Enable resize filter
2. Enter 480x320 size
3. Disable 'Auto Resize Image Size'

Then you would save a template and load a source.

Did you consider to overcrop left and right for 2.4:1 aspect ratios? The screen is pretty small and a 2.4:1 aspect ratio makes the height tiny. I have a small TV and bad eyes and therefore overcrop at least to 2:1, makes also smaller files as I encode anamorphic. StaxRip can automate the overcropping:

1. Enable resize filter
2. Enter 480x320 size
4. Enable 'Auto overcrop width to limit aspect ratio to 2'
Old 23rd August 2009, 11:58   #2214  |  Link
OblivionKnight

Stax, doing as you suggested, the resize will skretch the original video frame and forcing it to 480x320 (with or without overcropping).

My line will mantain the original AR (the PAR must be 1:1). For instance: a video with original frame of 1280x720 (720p) will be resized automatically to 480x272; a video with original resolution of 640x480 will be resized to 416x320.

The overcrop for video 2.4:1 and over...wil be great, i'll try out your option with my avisynth line.
Old 23rd August 2009, 16:05   #2215  |  Link
stax76

@OblivionKnight

Maybe a bug, please upload sample clip and diagnosic file using make bug report feature in help menu.

Last edited by stax76; 23rd August 2009 at 16:11.
Old 23rd August 2009, 19:33   #2216  |  Link
OblivionKnight

Not a bug, maybe is something I missed during usage of your tool:

forcing a resize of 480x320 BEFORE putting source file (with the aim of creating a template for batch file) will just create a video file 480x320 regardless the AR of the source file...is that right?

Another question: the overcrop option is applied before or after the resize filter (that one with command line avisynth)?

Last edited by OblivionKnight; 23rd August 2009 at 19:36.
Old 23rd August 2009, 20:08   #2217  |  Link
stax76

@burfadel

I've completed some of the discussed things and uploaded a test build, the problem with eac3to is it would add 2,5 MB to the package, 20 MB is already very heavy and I'm actually looking for ways to shrink it. There is a new feature to import/export profiles so if people make eac3to profiles it's now possible to share them. I've added support for M4A output but didn't test it since I expect mkvmerge and mediainfo handle it exactly like MP4 because I assume M4A is actually MP4. I hope you and other can help to test the build I've uploaded before I upload it as official new beta version to SourceForge.
  • Added Vista TaskDialog support
  • Added Search and Go To feature in x264 dialog
  • Added tooltips in x264 dialog
  • Added option to import/export profiles to profiles dialog
  • Added support for m4a output using custom command lines
  • Updated x264 to r1222 and added support for 4 new x264 features
  • Updated VirtualDub to version 1.9.4
  • Fix crash auto crop failing, now showing just error message
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HKUC7T4G

Quote:
forcing a resize of 480x320 BEFORE putting source file (with the aim of creating a template for batch file) will just create a video file 480x320 regardless the AR of the source file...is that right?
If you have a resize filter enabled before loading a source in any case the aspect ratio should be OK after loading the source! 480x320 would be far from OK for a 720p file, if you had this I really wonder what happend and I would need much more information.

Quote:
the overcrop option is applied before or after the resize filter (that one with command line avisynth)?
IIRC StaxRip crops always before resizing.

Last edited by stax76; 23rd August 2009 at 20:13.
Old 23rd August 2009, 23:49   #2218  |  Link
OblivionKnight

I've tested some heterogeneous videos with many different AR.

Doing your steps with StaxRip work well and the correct AR is mantained in every case.

1. Enable resize filter
2. Enter (manually digit) 480x320 size
4. Optional: enable 'Auto overcrop width to limit aspect ratio to 2 or 1.7'
5. Save project as template...
6. Source with file batch...whatever you want!

This tool is powerfull.
Old 27th August 2009, 21:12   #2219  |  Link
stax76

new beta online:

1.1.1.4 beta
  • Added Vista TaskDialog support
  • Added Search and Go To feature in x264 dialog
  • Added tooltips in x264 dialog
  • Added option to import/export profiles to profiles dialog
  • Added support for m4a output using custom command lines
  • Updated x264 to r1222 and added support for 4 new x264 features
  • Updated VirtualDub to version 1.9.4
  • Updated MP4Box
  • Fixed crash auto crop failing, now showing just error message
  • Fixed project files being saved in startup directory using batch mode

Last edited by stax76; 27th August 2009 at 21:23.
Old 28th August 2009, 14:39   #2220  |  Link
Havokdan

How do I add commands more than one line in the profile of Staxrip? How do I add a profile carrying several lines?

I wanted to adapt the following commands to a profile:

Import("E:\Arquivos de programas\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\QMLF_7_motions.avsi")
Import("E:\Arquivos de programas\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\QMLF_7_motions_Average_Secure_Denoise.avs")
QMLF_7_motions()
backward_vec2 = last.MVAnalyse(isb = true, delta = 2, pel = 2, overlap=4, sharp=2, idx = 1)
forward_vec2 = last.MVAnalyse(isb = false, delta = 2, pel = 2, overlap=4, sharp=2, idx = 1)
last.MVDegrain1(backward_vec2,forward_vec2,thSAD=400,idx=1)

Excuse me, English is not my native language

Last edited by Havokdan; 28th August 2009 at 14:41. Reason: Add
Closed Thread

Tags
gui, h.264, h.265, hevc, mkv, x264, x265