Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 31st October 2011, 02:28   #4201  |  Link
TBKHomeworld!

So I have made a new video walk-through on how to do a BluRay encode using StaxRip plus I have all new custom templates.

Info:
DVDFab usage
StaxRip usage for x264 video, AAC (even DTS 7.1) 5.1 vbr, MKV container, edited .sub files, etc.
Complete download package that has everything required to make my video instructions work.

They can all be found at http://www.tbkhomeworld.com/staxrip/. As always, this is for educational purposes only.

Enjoy!
Old 31st October 2011, 02:36   #4202  |  Link
TBKHomeworld!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
Hi everybody, I hope everybody is doing fine. I don't spend much time with computers, TV and Video these days. I can't tell about the future, as a sign of life I've updated some applications however:

1.1.7.1 beta (2011-05-22)
  • Updated MP4Box to version 0.4.6 that hopefully fixes sync problems
  • Updated ffms2 to version 2.15 mt
  • Updated x264 to version r1995
  • Updated mkvtoolnix to version 4.7.0
  • Fixed bug 'DTS Express' format not detected
  • Added option to modify existing cut selection, overlapping selections are merged
http://sourceforge.net/projects/staxmedia/
Hey bro, I know it has been a while since you posted on here but I wanted to point out something. I do a lot of directory batch when I do TV series and I have noticed the default FPS is around 30. If the video source is at 23.976 then StaxRip still seems to assume 30fps (29.9**fps) and the video ends much sooner than the audio does. If I manually go through and work each video source and add them to the queue then it works fine, just when I try to do directory batch it messes up.

Seems that directory batch ends up 'assuming' a default Video Rate and keeps with that instead of looking at the source video.
Old 21st November 2011, 01:45   #4203  |  Link
stax76

@TBKHomeworld!

It's been some time... , maybe you can upload a sample clip.

@V1de0Luvr

StaxRip checks if it's located in Program Files, if so it shows a error and terminates. I've added this because I was afraid some of the many portable applications included might require full write access to it's start-up directory. You can never be sure unless a application has an installer and Vista/Win7 support, therefore it's generally not the best idea to put portable applications in locations with limited write access.

@Jackie

This profile was removed for some reason, what filters are used and what kind of source is it?

@Chetwood

Do you have the same problems using VirtualDub manually?

@salazar and fabje

It activates after all jobs but I couldn't reproduce it to activate between jobs, please mail me the log file if it happens again.
Old 23rd November 2011, 14:54   #4204  |  Link
stax76

I'll upload a new version very soon so last chance to request a fix or feature!
Old 23rd November 2011, 15:39   #4205  |  Link
fabje

Quote:
Just a function to run Staxrip compleet in the background, only when all jobs are done Staxrip comes to the foreground.

So when it changes passes, or a new virtualdub process starts it will stay on the background.
Old 23rd November 2011, 16:01   #4206  |  Link
VoNbArRoN

Quote:
That's great news, stax79.

If there's not already an option to turn off the "Move crop values into dgi file for GPU cropping" popup box that comes up after cropping when using DGDecNV can you add one and if there is already one where is it.

also the audio of a lot of my recordings is a aac file and staxrip doesn't load it like the other audio files it just has the path to the .ts file and the audio comes out all scrambled but if I manually select the .aac file it encodes without any problems so it would be nice if StaxRip could load the aac files like it does with other audios.

SAMPLE
Old 23rd November 2011, 16:12   #4207  |  Link
stax76

@fabje

I don't have much control over GUI application unless they have some background feature, VirtualDubMod used for XviD and cutting don't offer that, there might be some WinAPI tricks but I don't enough time to tinker with it since it would much likely require much time.

Like I wrote I investigated the issue (with redirected console applications) and everything stayed *completely* in background until all jobs were finished.

@VoNbArRoN

DGDecNV crops faster I guess though probably not a big difference, I'll check the audio issue later today.

Last edited by stax76; 23rd November 2011 at 16:22.
Old 23rd November 2011, 16:58   #4208  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Hi stax, good to see you back...

Did you look into this issue which was brought up by jsquare?
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...83#post1504083

Looking forward for the upcoming version...

Cheers
manolito
Old 23rd November 2011, 17:43   #4209  |  Link
stax76

Hi

Yes, --bluray-compat was added to be used with the Blu-ray device option and the setting has a GUI control.
Old 23rd November 2011, 20:54   #4210  |  Link
stax76

The new built is now online, 6 months after the last, it's mostly some updated applications, some small changes regarding the updated x264, a couple of other minor changes and some cosmetics. I hope I can maybe do a little bit more the next 6 months.

1.1.7.2 beta (2011-11-23)
  • Updated mkvtoolnix to version 5.0.1
  • Updated x264 to version r2106
  • Updated ProjectX to version 0.91.0.00 (still no H.264 support)
  • Updated MediaInfo to version 0.7.51.0
  • Updated ffmpeg built at 2011-11-21
  • Updated ffms2 to version 2.16
  • Added GUI option for Vorbis 5.1 using ffmpeg
  • Added setting to define style for menus and toolbars
https://sourceforge.net/projects/staxmedia

Source code was committed too.

Last edited by stax76; 23rd November 2011 at 22:34.
Old 24th November 2011, 01:02   #4211  |  Link
fantasmanegro

@stax76

i just want to know where did you learn to develope... because i've seen your code and it's awsome!!!...

by the way thanks for the new beta...
Old 24th November 2011, 01:07   #4212  |  Link
fantasmanegro

@stax76

i just want to know where did you learn to develope... because i've seen your code and it's awsome!!!...

by the way thanks for the new beta...
Old 24th November 2011, 03:52   #4213  |  Link
stax76

Self-taught from books, articles, video tutorials, code from other people, documentation from Microsoft, I started programming about 10 years ago.
Old 24th November 2011, 05:49   #4214  |  Link
fantasmanegro

10 years that is too much, but your code it's very dynamic menus, settings, changing the menu items order and you manage a lot of objects, audio, video, container, filter, encoder, everything is an object, it's really impressive...
Old 24th November 2011, 09:14   #4215  |  Link
willscarlett

Hey Stax! Great to have a new Version! Thank you for your ongoing work, even though you don't really have the time! I am afraid your kind of "just for fun-programmer" will die out soon, as computers become less and less fascinating to people. Great that you are still on it!
I will give it a try tonight as my video-drive is full and some dvd/mkv to x264/mkv encoding needs to be done. I will let you know if any problems come up!
Old 24th November 2011, 23:07   #4216  |  Link
stax76

@willscarlett

I hope your encodes go well, after a long time without seeing a movie worthwhile to backup I recently saw The Fighter and set it up for encoding, doing an encode is always a good opportunity working a little bit on StaxRip which I just did.
Quote:
If there's not already an option to turn off the "Move crop values into dgi file for GPU cropping" popup box that comes up after cropping when using DGDecNV can you add one and if there is already one where is it.
Done for the next released.

Last edited by stax76; 24th November 2011 at 23:15.
Old 26th November 2011, 01:58   #4217  |  Link
manolito

How to treat interlaced sources using X264

This is only partly related to StaxRip, it is more a general question about encoding with X264...

I do have a lot of experience converting xxx -> DVD, and generally it is recommended to keep interlaced sources interlaced.

For xxx -> XviD conversions it is mostly recommended to deinterlace interlaced sources for maximum compatibility with playback devices.

Now what about conversions with X264? HandBrake and StaxRip both do not provide a GUI setting to tell X264 to do an interlaced encode, but they both give you a couple of options to deinterlace your source. Does this mean that it is basically a good idea to deinterlace your source before encoding with X264?

Now I do have some questions related to StaxRip:

If I decide to deinterlace my source, I basically have the choice to use Yadif, TomsMoComp or FieldDeinterlace (provided by the Decomb package). Both Yadif and TomsMoComp need the correct field order to work properly. If the field order is not specified, they both default to the field order provided by AviSynth.

Here comes my problem:
AviSynth defaults to BFF, and if your source is TFF you have to tell this to AviSynth with "AssumeTFF()". The only exception is if you use DGDecode (MPEG2Source) as your source filter. In this case AviSynth will get the correct field order from DGDecode.

But if I use FFMS2 as my source filter or even "AVISource()" then AVISynth cannot determine my source field order, I have to specify it explicitly with "AssumeTFF()" or "AssumeBFF()".

Real world case:
I have a source MKV which is Interlaced TFF. I specify Yadif (or TomsMoComp) as my deinterlacer. StaxRip will create an AVS script which just calls "Yadif()". No field order is specified so Yadif will use AviSynth's default BFF which will give me a very badly deinterlaced result.

Anything I can do about it within StaxRip?

//Edit//
Found it myself... Under "Tools->ShowFile->AviSynth Script" you can not only view but also edit the AVS script generated by StaxRip.

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 26th November 2011 at 15:13.
Old 26th November 2011, 16:59   #4218  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
Found it myself... Under "Tools->ShowFile->AviSynth Script" you can not only view but also edit the AVS script generated by StaxRip.
That's not a supported scenario, you can find some info in the official wiki at SourceForge:

1.5.7 Editing filter parameters

You can always try to double-click, right-click, drag&drop etc. things trying to find out how things works, unfortunately not all features are easy to find and well documented.

@all

This year there were only two releases, I hope I can do a little bit more next year (it's about the tenth year in case you didn't know). I'm thinking about 4 releases.
Old 26th November 2011, 23:02   #4219  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Filter parameters can be edited by double-clicking on a filter.
Quote:
unfortunately not all features are easy to find and well documented.
Thanks for the info, it is true that some StaxRip features are a little hard to find...

For the Joe Average Windows user double-clicking an object usually means running or executing it. To change parameters of an object you normally expect that you have to right-click it and select "properties".

Cheers
manolito
Old 27th November 2011, 01:53   #4220  |  Link
stax76

Edit with double-click is common dealing with object lists, Outlook and Thunderbird are examples here, it's used in other locations in StaxRip as well. If I add all features to the menu like edit and reorder the menu would become overloaded so there isn't a easy solution. Sometimes you have to think, search and read the docs or ask if all fails.
Closed Thread

Tags
gui, h.264, h.265, hevc, mkv, x264, x265