Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10th December 2001, 23:15   #1  |  Link
Kaethenkoenig

* avi with three mp3 streams; muxing problem

hi guys !

1. here's the problem:

i have an avi (ben hur) which i'd like to finally have three audiostreams:
1. english stream: 160kbps abr; 44,1 kHz, 16 bit stereo
2. director's commentary: 128kbps abr; 44,1 kHz, 16 bit stereo
3. german stream: 128kbps cbr; 44,1 kHz, 16 bit stereo

streams were compressed using smartripper->.ac3->dannis gui(lame/azid)->mp3

for quality issues i chose abr for all three streams at first, but muxing the blank avi with these produced crappy output as to be expected due to abr (read that later ).
so i reencoded the third stream to cbr. previously i muxed streams 1 and 2 using nandub and that worked really fine. playback is beautiful for both streams. it switches back and forth 100%.

so now i thought avimux would do the job to add the third stream - now being cbr. avimux starts properly, shows the opened avi with the two already muxed streams and i can also add the third stream. but unfortunately pressing "go" it just generates a very small avi (under 1 mb) which opened in mediaplayer (using 6.4 + morgan multiple stream switcher plugin) plays back very shortly (well, what else to expect at 256orsomethinglikethatsize ); to say it plain and simple: it doesn't work .

so i came here and searched the forum for related topics, finding these two:
http://rilanparty.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=10047
http://rilanparty.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=9783
the first one's not that helpful (no replies) and slightly another problem (avimux doesn't work at all), second one mentiones using small fake avis using grahpedit:
Quote:
the dual audio avi guide tells you how to create small pseudo-avis to access the different languages.. instead of playing back the large avi containing the different audio tracks (and vobsub comes with submux which can mux srt into a wav so you only have one big file).. and using graphedit you could also add the vobsub filter to the graph you create so that you can have pseudo avis for different audio tracks and different subs.
if i understand this correctly, the audiostream chosen in the graphedited .avi must be inside the avi; or can it be an external mp3 either ? that could help.....

2. so here come the questions:
i; besides trying graphedit using an unmuxed mp3, (i'll try that rightaway) is there any other problem due to the way/bitrates/methods i went through you guys see and i do not ?
ii; is there any known chance nandub will future muxing more than two streams in the near future ? nandos site unfortunately just gives no info on further development... maybe any one already knows something ?

hope that wasn't a too-long-dumb-questions,
thx for reading,
K.

other specs:
all progz used are the most actual versions, expect wmp (still using 6.4)
avi was done with gordian knot (latest version/divx3.11) using doom9s guide - thanks alot for the guides as well as all the soft are more than due and here they come:

THX ALOT

end of message.

Last edited by Kaethenkoenig; 10th December 2001 at 23:39.
Kaethenkoenig is offline   Reply With Quote