Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 4th March 2005, 13:07   #1  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

PgcEdit 0.5

PgcEdit v7.0 has been released. See this thread.

PgcEdit 0.5.0
  • BOV (Buttons Over Video in Title domains) support:
    1. Replaced the executable button_dump.exe bt a Tcl/Tk function, able to parse the menu buttons in menu domains. The menu buttons informations are therefore available also for Macintosh pre-OSX platforms.
    2. Added "File->Find BOVs" and "Options->Automatically Launch BOV finder when a DVD is opened?" to find the BOVs at startup.
    3. "Utilities -> Show Menu Buttons or BOVs" works now also for Title PGCs.
    4. Added "Show BOVs" popup menu in the PGC selector on title PGCs.
  • Removed the "Options/Show libdvdread warnings when parsing menu buttons?".
  • "Fix number of streams in VMGM/VTSI_MAT tables" macro to change the number of streams in the VMGM_MAT and VTSM_MAT tables according to the number of streams enabled in the PGCs.
  • Domain Streams Attributes check now if the current number of streams match the number of streams enabled in the PGCs.
  • Domain Streams Attributes allow now to edit the audio stream types and parameters. (Still no support to edit the karaoke parameters.)
  • Open DVD: If there are empty VOB files, an option to delete them is now presented to the user when the DVD is loaded.
  • Added a Burn DVD/Create ISO toolbar icon. (Windows only)
  • Added some missing credits and thanks in the About dialog.
  • Kill Playback macro: New algorithm to determine if it is safe to use the macro. It is safe to kill playback if there are no menu buttons, and if there are no cell commands jumping outside of the current PGC.
  • Blank Out PGCs in Domain: The "Kill Playback only when it's safe" option now uses the new Kill Playback macro.
  • Cell type flag SCR Discontinuity (System Clock Reference) renamed to STC Discontinuity (System Time Clock). (Recommandation of Mpucoder)
  • Burn DVD: The MenuShrinkBackup is now removed automatically from the DVD.
  • Added the audio and subpic stream IDs in Domain Streams Attributes GUI and in Info -> Streams.
  • PgcEdit_Preview.exe v1.6 by Jeanl. Fixes an aspect ratio bug with VCD and SVCD resolutions, and another one with garbage addeded in the bottom of the image when the vertical resolutions was not a multiple of 32.
  • When a cell is reassigned or blanked, the Seamless Joint flag is now cleared.
  • Trace mode: The target of LinkPTT commands was wrong (was pre-commands of the PGC instead of target chapter.)
  • Trace mode: A NOP command in a menu button or BOV is now ignored.
  • Highlight Target/Jump to Target did not work in some cases with CallSS.
  • Menu buttons viewer bug: After selecting another frame with the < and > buttons, the background image was not displayed for VMGM menus.
  • Fixed a bug with the Video Attributes display. The resolution, bitrates and 'top & bottom cropped' flags were wrong. The saved attributes were OK, though.
  • Fixed a bug when writing a PTT_SRPTI table containing PTTs assigned to program 0. Yes, I've seen a DVD with such bizarre things!
  • Fixed a bug occurnig after a Delete Program. The program map table was not padded to an even number of bytes.
  • Misc. little bug fixes.
Links to PgcEdit's versions within this thread:Links to old discussion threads:

Last edited by r0lZ; 22nd April 2006 at 10:34.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2005, 17:11   #2  |  Link
Wheelie4

Quote:
Open DVD: If there are empty VOB files, an option to delete them is now presented to the user when the DVD is loaded.
Forgive my dvd structure and protection ignorance. But,is this for the pesky dummy files for protection sony uses?
Wheelie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2005, 17:33   #3  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

No. The empty VOB files are only 0 byte files. These files are obviously useless, and Nero doesn't like them. Sometime, these files are referenced in the IFOs.
If you answer yes when the dialog ask if you want to delete them, the empty VOBs are deleted, and the references in the IFOs are cleared. It's only a clean way to get rid of them.
Old 4th March 2005, 17:41   #4  |  Link
Wheelie4

Ahhhh cool. Thx for the info.

PGCEdit can do so much I'm terrified of it. Just not sure how to use more than 2 or 3 of it's features. HeHe
Wheelie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2005, 23:05   #5  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

@wheelie

Experiment and just play around a bit. When you're finished just restore backup. Can not fail.

What's in the program will simply astound you.

@rolz - another masterpiece!

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2005, 00:11   #6  |  Link
selyb

r0lZ: I am thoroughly impressed and pleased with your program.

It seems like every day I find something else that pgcedit can do.

Thank you very very much
selyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2005, 00:19   #7  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Thanks to you, and to everybody, for your kind words.
Old 5th March 2005, 11:04   #8  |  Link
CoNS
reMember

Quote:
Originally posted by CoNS in the PgcEdit 0.5.0 beta thread
When 0.5.0 final is released, could you make a description for nOObs like me on how to use the new menu editor function, and especially on which of the new options to select when loading a disc, if I just want to do the usual editing - or if I want to edit menus?

Originally posted by r0lZ
It's not so complex. There is a new GUI when loading the DVD allowing to parse the VOBs for BOVs.
If you are sure there are no BOVs in your DVD, then you can safely abort the scan, and even disable the startup parsing.
If you have already scanned the DVD, you may also manually disable the checkboxes for the VTSs w/o BOVs.
The slider is used to speedup the scanning process. The BOVs are defined in the Nav Packs of the VOBUs. Checking only some nav packs usually works pretty well.
I recommand to check a DVD the first time with the slider to 30 (maximum). If some BOVs are found, rescan the VTSs with a lower value (for example 5). If the number of BOVs is the same, then you may safely use 30 each time you load the same DVD.
Ehmm, sorry for being such a pain-in-the-ass-nOOb but I'm still not really sure how to use the new feature...

Basically the problem is that I don't know what the BOV thing is for. Button Over Video... Are BOVs another word for menu button commands?

I understand that they're values or setting stored in the vobs, either in menu vobs or title vobs. Is it correct that PgcEdit so far only handles BOVs in title vobs? Why not menu vobs - buttons usually occur in the menus of the disc, and that's what I'd want to edit most of the time then?

I assume the BOV scanning feature is similar to the scanning done by MenuEdit when loading a vob? But with MenuEdit I can edit the buttons in menus?

How exactly is the new BOV thing in PgcEdit connected to the Menu preview function which has been there for some time now? If the menu preview thing would allow me to view the buttons and display the button commands, why is neccessary with the new BOV scanning?

Is it correct that if I want to use PgcEdit for the stuff I used to use it for up to version 0.4.x, i.e. add PGC pre/cell/post commands, kill PGC playback, blank out whole VTST og VTSM etc., I can simply skip the scan startup window every time? The BOV scan is only needed for some new menu editing function in the new 0.5.0? What exactly can PgcEdit do now that it couldn't do before? How do I take advantage of the new features?
CoNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2005, 11:54   #9  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally posted by CoNS
Ehmm, sorry for being such a pain-in-the-ass-nOOb but I'm still not really sure how to use the new feature...

Basically the problem is that I don't know what the BOV thing is for. Button Over Video... Are BOVs another word for menu button commands?
Almost. The only difference is that the buttons are located in the title domains (VTST). Also, the BOVs are often used to access special features when watching the main movie (White rabbit in Matrix).

Quote:
I understand that they're values or setting stored in the vobs, either in menu vobs or title vobs. Is it correct that PgcEdit so far only handles BOVs in title vobs? Why not menu vobs - buttons usually occur in the menus of the disc, and that's what I'd want to edit most of the time then?
The regular menu buttons (in menu domains: VMGM and VTSM) are always scanned by PgcEdit. Since menu VOBs are not so large, it is not an option. The scanning for menu buttons occur before the GUI for BOVs is opened. You can see the scanning progress in the status bar.

Quote:
I assume the BOV scanning feature is similar to the scanning done by MenuEdit when loading a vob? But with MenuEdit I can edit the buttons in menus?
The implementation of the BOVs is the first step. I am currently working on a button editor, that will work on the regular menus and on the BOVs.

Quote:
How exactly is the new BOV thing in PgcEdit connected to the Menu preview function which has been there for some time now? If the menu preview thing would allow me to view the buttons and display the button commands, why is neccessary with the new BOV scanning?
The menu button viewer is the GUI. To be able to display the buttons, I must know where they are located, how to display them, and what command they use. Unfortunately, there is nothing in the IFOs allowing to know if there are buttons in the VOBs and where. This is why the scanning is needed.

Quote:
Is it correct that if I want to use PgcEdit for the stuff I used to use it for up to version 0.4.x, i.e. add PGC pre/cell/post commands, kill PGC playback, blank out whole VTST og VTSM etc., I can simply skip the scan startup window every time? The BOV scan is only needed for some new menu editing function in the new 0.5.0? What exactly can PgcEdit do now that it couldn't do before? How do I take advantage of the new features?
It is better to know if there are BOVs in the DVD, because you will see the number of buttons associated with a specific PGC in the PGC Selector pane, and display them with the viewer, just like with regular menus. It may be dangerous to kill playback or blank a PGC with menu buttons.
Also, the trace function is now complete. It is now possible to follow the flow of operations of the DVD in all cases. Before 0.5, if a menu was authored in a title domain (BOV), the trace was broken.
And, as I said before, when the menu editor will be complete, you will be able to edit all VM commands of the DVD, even in the menu buttons and BOVs.

You may skip the BOV parsing if you are sure there are no BOVs in your DVD. Also, you may skip it even if there are buttons but only if you don't want to use the trace, and you are just interested to kill playback on some FBI warnings or to edit some commands (for example to change a SetSTN to enable your preferred language by default.)

What I do usually: The first time I load a DVD, I parse the buttons with the slider to the maximum. It's verry fast. If there are no BOVs in the DVD, I switch off the option to automatically parse the BOVs when the DVD is opened. If some BOVs are found, I try to lower the slider (usually to value 5), and parse again the VTSs with BOVs. If the number of BOVs after this second parsing is the same, I set the slider back to 30, so that the next time the DVD is opened, the parsing will be as fast as possible.

I hope you understand better the interest of the BOV scanning.

Last edited by r0lZ; 5th March 2005 at 11:58.
Old 6th March 2005, 18:46   #10  |  Link
rayvt

I, too, want to thank you for PgcEdit. In order to eliminate FBI warnings, I had been using various combinations of Vobrator, IFOedit, VobBlanker, etc. Nothing worked very good, and nothing could reliably show me the video clips so I could pick out the ones I wanted to delete.
And I was using DVDShrink to get rid of the fullscreen movie on a DVD with both FS and WS. But this was slow, because I had to load in each movie, plus it still left the movie with "this has been deleted" stills.

PGCedit does all this for me reliably and easily. Trace mode is great, but it's also easy to just eyeball the short segments to pick out the Warning clips. And -- now that I found the guide--it's real easy to completely strip out the FS version and the FS/WS menu.

The worst thing about PGCEdit is the lack of any kind of user guide.

Anyway..... GREAT PROGRAM!!! Thank you!!!
rayvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2005, 23:51   #11  |  Link
Tobii

@ r0lZ

Problem with a still show, at a disc. I can play the files in every software player.
The preview alone for this PGC, works.
If I, however, try it in PgcEdit in the trace mode, the trace mode stops.

Quote:
trace log:

DVD inserted: ""; Provider:
DVD inserted: Resetting all GPRMs to 0.
DVD inserted: Initializing the SPRMs to default/setup values.
------> Entering VMG , First-Play PGC
-- pre 1 : (JumpSS) Jump to VMGM PGC 1
------> Entering VMGM , LU 1 (de) , 1 (0:00) TitleM
******* Start playback VMGM , LU 1 (de) , 1 (0:00) TitleM...
The trace mode stops here, no preview of the Pgc!
With other versions of PgcEdit, I receive the same result.
Tobii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2005, 00:11   #12  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
******* Start playback VMGM , LU 1 (de) , 1 (0:00) TitleM...
When this message appear, you have to click Step one more time to enter the first cell of the PGC. The playback should start.
If that doesn't work, please send me the IFOs and the VMGM VOB.
Old 8th March 2005, 00:19   #13  |  Link
Tobii

I already have tried, the preview doesn't start. I send the IFOs and the VMGM VOB.
Old 8th March 2005, 10:19   #14  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Thanks, Tobi.

I've found the problem. It's a new bug I introduced in 0.5. In the new method of parsing the menu buttons, I assume there are no buttons (or BOVs) in a domain if the domain has no subpictures defined. This is a good way to speedup things when loading the DVD, because there is no need to parse the VOB.
The bug is that some variables needed in the trace mode were not initialized in those circumstances.

Unfortunately, I cannot release a bugfix version right now, because I am currently integrating the menu editor in the main program.

If you want to be able to trace your DVD, try this method:

1. Select any PGC in the the menu domain that caused the problem. (In your case, you may select the first PGC of the VMGM.) Open the PGC Editor, and set the first subpic status to "0 0 0 0", to enable it.

2. Use the new macro "Fix number of streams in VMGM/VTSI_Mat tables" to increase the number of streams in the VMGM.

3. Save and reload the DVD.

You should now be able to trace your DVD correctly.
When you will not need to trace the DVD anymore, you may want to remove the new stream, but it's not required.

NOTE: When the bug occured, there was no error message because you have probably launched the trace mode with the toolbar icon. When an error occur, for an unknown reason, the code launched by the toolbar doesn't trigger the error routine. So, when you suspect a bug in a function launched with the toolbar, you should try to launch the same function via another method, for example with the menu, to be able to see the error message.

Last edited by r0lZ; 8th March 2005 at 10:30.
Old 8th March 2005, 17:42   #15  |  Link
Tobii

As well...thanks for her fast help, r0lZ.

Have carried everything out according to her instruction and it is working now in the Trace mode.
Quote:
Unfortunately, I cannot release a bugfix version right now, because I am currently integrating the menu editor in the main program.
menu editor
Quote:
NOTE: When the bug occured, there was no error message because you have probably launched the trace mode with the toolbar icon. When an error occur, for an unknown reason, the code launched by the toolbar doesn't trigger the error routine. So, when you suspect a bug in a function launched with the toolbar, you should try to launch the same function via another method, for example with the menu, to be able to see the error message.
In future, I will do it that way and I must thank you again.
Old 12th March 2005, 08:42   #16  |  Link
CoNS
reMember

I've experiencing something with the bmp capture function in the preview function, which may be an error. When I preview a (VTST) PGC the picture is displayed fine. But when I capture a still pic of the video using the bmp capture function, and view the saved picture with a picture viewer program (or load it into a sup subtitle creation program), it's vertically stretched as if something is wrong with the aspect ratio...

I've tried a number of PAL and NTSC discs, and I'm getting this every time I try in both PgcEdit 0.4.9 and 0.5.0. I know for sure that the aspect ratio of the captured still pic from PgcEdit was correct in earlier versions of PgcEdit, though I'm not sure how far back (at least up till version 0.4.5-7, I think)
Old 12th March 2005, 11:30   #17  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I tried the BMP capture again, and everything seems fine.

The preview is always stretched to be displayed in the correct aspect ratio. The stretching takes into account the pixel format (PAL or NTSC), the original resolution, and the 16:9 or 4:3 display aspect ratio. The target monitor is assumed to be a PC monitor with square pixels.

In the other hand, the saved image is not resized at all. The BMP should be in the same resolution as the original video. This is required if you want to edit, re-encode and replace the frame. Also, you may use any image editing program to stretch it to another format, with whatever resize quality your program is able to do.

Please verify the format of the video with the Domain Streams Attributes function. If the format of the BMP doesn't match the video resolution, then there is a problem. Keep me informed. Thanks.
Old 12th March 2005, 12:47   #18  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

@CoNS

This is undoubtedly the result, as r0lZ implies, of an anamorphic transformation.

If you want to see it, how it is actually displayed, stretch the BMP horizontally by 33%.

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2005, 20:33   #19  |  Link
CoNS
reMember

Ah, ok, both of you thx for explaining.

I've checked the resolution. Both the video (checked in PgcEdit domain attributes window) and the exported bmp (checked in PSP8) were 720x576, which they should be, according to you explanation.

Then the problem must be that the subtitle program I use (Subtitle Creator by Paddington) doesn't display the imported background pics correctly (allow stretching if needed). The weird thing is that I haven't experienced the stretching issue until recently, which led me to the conclusion that something must had been changed, probably in PgcEdit preview...

Here's an old screenshot where I'm using an older version of Subtitle Creator with a letterboxed picture captured in PgcEdit preview (NTSC format). And in this case it's shown correctly: http://home25.inet.tele.dk/dvdkat/sc-image6.jpg
Old 13th March 2005, 21:05   #20  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

The Save BMP function has not changed. But I have changed the way the picture is displayed in the preview window and in the menu buttons viewer. The image is now always displayed in the correct aspect ratio on a PC monitor.

Maybe there is a switch somewhere in Subtitle Creator? Or does it retrieve the DAR info from the IFO or the VOB?
Note that this info is stored in both the IFOs and VOBs. PgcEdit uses only the one from the IFOs (It has precedence). If the DAR in the VOB is not the same, Subtitle Creator may use the wrong display aspect ratio.