Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st July 2003, 07:53   #1  |  Link
willlangford

Audio Newbie

okay...in another thread i was asking for the best audio. well after thinking and crap here is what im wondering. i used to use mp3 @192. currently i am using vorbis at 2.00 on the quality. is there another audio that compresses better and is of better quality, im not looking for 5.1 thought it would be cool to have. im just looking that the best bang for the meg if ya know what i mean.

thanks so much,

Will
willlangford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2003, 09:41   #2  |  Link
Teegedeck
Moderator, Ex(viD)-Mascot

Hi willlangford,

just remember that mass-posting can easily degrade into spamming.

As for best compression, have a look at the listening tests featured on www.hydrogenaudio.org. To answer your question, it depends on 2 things: a) what you personally would call a good compromise b) your ears. If your ears are bad you're very lucky because you can just use any decent codec at a very low bitrate. If they are good, you'll have to think about how much space you're willing to sacrifice for your hearing pleasure. As for codecs, MPC is top-notch for bitrates ranging from 160- kbps. Unfortunately there isn't a way to mux it with video, yet. AAC (low complexity) [edit] - and Vorbis, just depends on your taste - [/edit]challenge MPC in the 160-200 kbps area. From 160 downwards it seems to me that Vorbis rules. If you can wait till Friday, though, Ahead will release an HE (high-efficiency) AAC codec that comes with 'Nero Burning Rom'. It outperforms Vorbis easily in the very low bitrates around 64 kbps; very decent sound for portable use. Yet again, the downside to it is that as of yet there ain't any way to use it for movies (that may soon change though).

As for MP3, constant bitrate is a waste - use '--alt-preset standard/fast standard' or '--alt-preset extreme/fast extreme'. The 'normal'-preset delivers very good quality at around 220 kbps, but to my ears AAC LC (the psytel-encoder at VBR 'normal') does better at a mere 170 kbps.

Last edited by Teegedeck; 21st July 2003 at 19:42.
Teegedeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2003, 17:37   #3  |  Link
willlangford

thanks, i guess ill keep using what i am using..as long at it works. i guess ill wait till we can mux that audio with video.

thanks,

Will
willlangford is offline   Reply With Quote