Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Programming and Hacking > Development

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16th February 2003, 12:47   #1  |  Link
Zep

Is this filter possible or impossible to code?

The problem I'm having appears to be luminance banding. Old VHS tapes and also my
analog cable on certain channels I get this interference band across the whole screen
horizontally and it slowly rolls. It is brighter in the middle and then fades above and below
to a normal picture. The color is fine just brighter in this band. I can get rid of it in
Photoshop perfectly by doing a inverse gradient fill over the band in the luminance channel
so i know it is possible but how to do it in an algorithm for use in a filter is beyond me.

here is an example clip of what i mean . It is 6 megs DivX 5.0.3 and no filters.

Banding.avi

My thoughts are the banding should be detectable because it is a straight horizontal
band across the whole screen and rolls very slowly and at a steady pace. This is
something you see in footage itself almost never so I thought its movement should
be detectable temporally.

Can any of you gurus here take a look at the clip and tell me if you think a filter
like that is possible and worth doing? Are there any band removers filters out
there that i missed? So far the best filter to at least soften the bands without
destroying the the rest of the picture via blurring and ghosting is Pixiedust filter.

Thanks

Zep
Zep is offline   Reply With Quote