Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 16th March 2007, 04:11   #1  |  Link
Emon

Please use PowerDVD 7.3 !!

Everyone who's having playback issues with PowerDVD 6.5/7.1/7.2 .... please upgrade to PowerDVD 7.3.

Here are the list of bugs that got fixed in this release:
  • Subtitle stays off
  • U-Control in "King Kong" works now (the PIP window stays off)
  • Works in Vista (I never got 7.1/7.2 to work in Vista ..... I have a 7900 GT and I am using ForceWare v101.41)
  • Menu in "Lady in the Water" works
  • Menu in "Nacho Libre" works

So I am going to turn off the "nav chain" fix in BackupHDDVD and then rip some movies to see if this bug got fixed too or not.
Old 16th March 2007, 15:33   #2  |  Link
kuklitis

It's all pretty impressive and vary good, but there is still one TREMENDOUS issue left why very big chunk of users there would be no good at all switching to 7.3 version - it plays at Full-HD only if you have whole chain of valid HDCP stuuf - videocard, drivers, cable and monitor !
kuklitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2007, 16:03   #3  |  Link
Emon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuklitis View Post
It's all pretty impressive and vary good, but there is still one TREMENDOUS issue left why very big chunk of users there would be no good at all switching to 7.3 version - it plays at Full-HD only if you have whole chain of valid HDCP stuuf - videocard, drivers, cable and monitor !
You think so? How do you test for that? My setup defiantly not HDCP complaint and in plain eye I couldn't tell any difference.
Old 16th March 2007, 16:33   #4  |  Link
pahrtyTlix

Correct me if I'm wrong but after using BackupHDDVD, AACS and thus HDCP isn't present anymore in the unencrypted EVO files hence it wouldn't be enforced by PowerDVD or any other player?
pahrtyTlix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2007, 16:35   #5  |  Link
Momotte

neither do I, I am missing a HDCP compliant monitor in the chain and my decrypted backup look like they are playing in full HD... any way to verify that?
Momotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2007, 17:37   #6  |  Link
kuklitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotte View Post
neither do I, I am missing a HDCP compliant monitor in the chain and my decrypted backup look like they are playing in full HD... any way to verify that?
Sauns very promissing ! I'm then gonna try out this 7.3 version on clean XP install, without HDCP monitor, but with HDCP videocard this weekend or early next week !
The reason for my concern was that I was reading across varios Doom9 forums posts that many users have this issue with ver 7.3 and downscaling ...
kuklitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2007, 19:36   #7  |  Link
Founditalso

Next to the reasons Emon mentionned a very important reason for me to install 7.3 is that I have HD-DVD as well as Blu-Ray readers on the same system.
7.3 does allow to play both formats. With 7.2 and before one had to choose.
I am using 7.3 now on XP, but had some problems installing it.
Maybe my experience will help somebody:
I installed 7.3 over 7.2. The decrypted HD-DVD's and Blu-Ray's (files) played fine. The discs did not play at all. Black screens for HD-DVD as well as Blu-Ray discs in the drives.
Uninstalling and reinstalling 7.3 solved the problem for Blu-Ray discs but with HD-DVD there was still an issue with Powerdvd not wanting to play the disc because of non-compatibility of the system. It started playing (so no more black screen) but soon it stopped giving the message.
Running the Cyberlink advisor gave all green light so I am not sure what was wrong.
Installing AnyDVD HD solved the problem, so now I am able to play the decrypted files on disc as well as the discs themselves. Great!
Founditalso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2007, 19:46   #8  |  Link
Blinx123

Hi guys,
what about the NVIDIA PureVideo acceleration,which wasn´t working for many people in PowerDVD 7.2? Is this also fixed?
Blinx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2007, 20:22   #9  |  Link
Emon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx123 View Post
Hi guys,
what about the NVIDIA PureVideo acceleration,which wasn´t working for many people in PowerDVD 7.2? Is this also fixed?
"PureVideo acceleration" .. is that something you turn on in nVidia control panel? I will try that out after get home.
Old 17th March 2007, 15:23   #10  |  Link
markrb
Old fart

I don't know if it was the way I ripped it, but subs are still forced on in Superman Returns for me in 7.3.
Not a big deal as I can fix it easy enough.
Could just be me, but I thought I would report it.

Mark
Old 17th March 2007, 17:09   #11  |  Link
Manbearpig

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuklitis View Post

hmmmm... i dont think so...im using powerdvd 7.3 to play a ripped version of my Terminator 2 blu-ray, and if i capture a screenshot the size of the pic is 1920*1080.
Manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2007, 17:30   #12  |  Link
Zotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emon View Post
So I am going to turn off the "nav chain" fix in BackupHDDVD and then rip some movies to see if this bug got fixed too or not.
Very interrested in the results!
Zotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2007, 19:36   #13  |  Link
sjchmura

Has anyone confirmed this? I do not want to drop $100 unless this works. My 7800GTX with DVI-> HDMI is NOT chain secure (xfx left this off my card). As I understand it this makes it a 960x540 player that "upscales" in fullscreen back to 1920x1080p
sjchmura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2007, 20:03   #14  |  Link
Turtleggjp

My biggest grief is that it doesn't work on my laptop with .EVO files. It complains about my graphics card and drivers (Intel integrated graphics). I have been trying it with some of the .EVO trailers I found online. If I demux them, it will play the video streams without any trouble, so my Core 2 Duo 1.66 GHz can handle it. In fact, CPU usage is often above 50%, so I am happy to see it using both cores.

I have no problem with it being protective like this when playing back HD-DVDs, but I agree that once decrypted, all the restrictions should be gone, and it should just work.

Matt
Turtleggjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2007, 22:11   #15  |  Link
Galileo2000

I had a lot of problems on my HTPC with 7.3.

But since Emon says so, I'll do a clean XP install and try it again.

Edit: No can do. Tried 6(sic!) times in a row to install a fresh copy of XP on the separate partition, XP SP2 slipstream, SP1 slipstream etc. After the first reboot of XP it destroys my main partition with the dreadful "Disk read error. Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart".
I have 500GB Seagate SATA HDD with 4 partitions and trying to install a clean XP on the second or third.
Another M$ bug, Web is full of complaints. Strangely I've never seen it before, must be SATA-only related.

Thanks God I have Acronis backup.

I "might" use my second HTPC with the IDE, but it's no good for me since it will never be my HD DVD machine.

Last edited by Galileo2000; 18th March 2007 at 02:26.
Galileo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2007, 22:42   #16  |  Link
ruva

I got a problem with 7.3 release: I see only a part of the movie (upper left) and badly zoomed as well.

Anyone got a solution ?

ruva
ruva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2007, 23:43   #17  |  Link
K40

I installed 7.3 today and it's working with my D950 3.4Ghz
Dualcore and the MSI 7600 GT HDCP G.Card.
I played decrypted HDDVD and BluRay movies.
It seems that together with the 100.87 Driver for XP 1080p24 is working much better now.
Sadly,the color banding in some movies is the same as before.
K40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2007, 00:17   #18  |  Link
prOnorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emon View Post
I couldn't tell any difference.
I think HD DVD content gets downscaled (mandatory as per industry specs) to 960 x 540 on devices which don't support HDCP. The reason you might not notice it is because your software player upscales it again so it looks like full resolution.
prOnorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2007, 00:27   #19  |  Link
Galileo2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by prOnorama View Post
I think HD DVD content gets downscaled (mandatory as per industry specs) to 960 x 540 on devices which don't support HDCP. The reason you might not notice it is because your software player upscales it again so it looks like full resolution.
Holy cow, I bet u r right.

Any good way to test it?
Galileo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2007, 04:40   #20  |  Link
IanD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galileo2000 View Post
Holy cow, I bet u r right.

Any good way to test it?
Have a look at http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=123395

The results are still not completely conclusive yet, one way or the other.

My suspicion is that the results are highly dependent on the graphics card used (not just whether HDCP compatible, but also whether in Cyberlink's compatibility list).

Unless PDVD 7.3 removes some of the hardware checking, I doubt I would be able to get it working with my ATI X300 which wouldn't work with PDVD 7.1 but does with PDVD 6.5 (albeit possibly down-res'd), so it isn't a matter of the graphics card's technical ability that is the stumbling block, but more likely what Cyberlink in their wisdom permit to work.

Last edited by IanD; 18th March 2007 at 04:52.
IanD is offline   Reply With Quote