Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th December 2008, 04:45   #1  |  Link
Mike Chen

MakeMKV: new tool to convert DVD/Blu-ray/HD-dvd directly to MKV

We wrote a program to convert video from DVD and Blu-ray to MKV files. The program is a transcoder (does not change any audio-video data but just changes container format) that preserves all meta info (stream names, languages, chapters). The program is freeware (but not open-source) and parts of the program (the MKV muxer and MMC drive access library) are released under LGPL.

It can be downloaded at http://www.makemkv.com .

Conversion is fast - as fast as your drive can read data. It does not requre any additonal software - it automatically removes CSS/AACS, any structure protections, does not rquire UDF driver, etc.
Mike Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 07:38   #2  |  Link
setarip_old

Hi!
Quote:
it automatically removes CSS/AACS, any structure protections
Sounds interesting.

With regard to standard DVDs, is your progeam capable of removing the latest "XProtect", "RipGuard", etc. copy protection schemes?
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 08:04   #3  |  Link
Mike Chen

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post

With regard to standard DVDs, is your progeam capable of removing the latest "XProtect", "RipGuard", etc. copy protection schemes?
Yes.

Well, the precise answer is that it should, but since it is a cat and mouse game it might fail on some newer discs.
Old 8th December 2008, 08:40   #4  |  Link
setarip_old

I clicked on "Help" from within the "makemkv.exe" program and, as I'm sure you're aware, was greeted with an "Error 404" at a Russian website.

I was trying to find out what the "makemkvcon.exe" program is. I'm guessing it's called by the "makemkv.exe" program to perform the conversions to MKV. Am I correct?

Quote:
Well, the precise answer is that it should
May I ask, which, if any, recent "XProtect" and "RipGuard" copy protected standard DVDs on which you've successfully tested this really good looking program?

In the "Help" file available directly from the website:
Quote:
Most DVD drives are limited to a 2.4X speed
This is patently untrue. Where did you get such misinformation?

Quote:
DVD support is FREE
Should one infer from this statement that BluRay and HD format support is not free?

Last edited by setarip_old; 8th December 2008 at 09:10.
Old 8th December 2008, 11:31   #5  |  Link
Mike Chen

Quote:

I was trying to find out what the "makemkvcon.exe" program is. I'm guessing it's called by the "makemkv.exe" program to perform the conversions to MKV. Am I correct?
makemkvcon.exe is a console engine, makemkv.exe is a GUI for it. console version is not quite useful at the moment, so just use makemkv.exe .

Quote:

May I ask, which, if any, recent "XProtect" and "RipGuard" copy protected standard DVDs on which you've successfully tested this really good looking program?
It was tested on many discs, however I'm not sure which recent titles use abovementioned protections. The program has a very simple and effective algorithm to deal with structure protections - it is easier to extract audio/video data then repair IFO files, so it should work. This part of discussion probably is OT here and should be moved to decryption forum.

Quote:

Should one infer from this statement that BluRay and HD format support is not free?
Some advanced Blu-ray and Hd-dvd functionality will not be free. All features present in the beta version are free and will stay free. For Blu-ray it means MKB v.7 and below, no BD+, no subtitles and chapters.

Please keep in mind that the program is still in beta stage and be merciful.
Old 8th December 2008, 16:48   #6  |  Link
Emp3r0r

This is a really good looking tool and a great idea. Some questions:
  1. Some source code is available? where?
  2. What language is it written in?
  3. HD subtitles and True-HD audio is probably not supported, correct?
  4. Does it zip IFO or other supporting files and attach them within the MKV? Or is it only audio, video, subs, chapters in resulting MKV (and everything else is thrown away)?
  5. Can you be more specific about what which DVD's and Blurays it should support? Does it properly support seemless branching discs with no audio drift?

Also, I don't think this is a "transcoder" but rather a remuxer.

Last edited by Emp3r0r; 9th December 2008 at 02:04.
Emp3r0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 01:38   #7  |  Link
setarip_old

@Mike Chen

Just to let you know that your exciting new program:

A) Processed "Blade - House of Chthon" properly. This was the first (about two years ago) R1 DVD containing "XProtect" copy protection

B) Failed to process the R1 DVD "The Chronicles of Narnia - Prince Caspian", containing the latest iteration of either "RipGuard" or "XProtect" copy protection. Although Windows sees the drive as holding a DVD of 7.12GB, it sees the "VIDEO_TS" folder (of that DVD, in that drive) as containing files totaling 59.9GB - and your program runs out of memory during its "Decryption" mode.

C) Processed the 2008 R1 DVD "Journey to the Center of the Earth" properly. This DVD contains only CSS copy protection.

Best of luck with your continuing efforts to (as you should) always bring your decryption of standard DVDs current.

Quote:
The program is freeware
I'd suggest to you that this statement is grossly misleading and should be changed, based on your subsequent response that:
Quote:
Some advanced Blu-ray and Hd-dvd functionality will not be free.
On the other hand, I'm quite certain that most, if not all, members would much prefer to see you continue to maintain this as FREEWARE, especially considering the nature of the source of one of the primary functions of your program ;>}

Last edited by setarip_old; 9th December 2008 at 02:45.
Old 9th December 2008, 15:35   #8  |  Link
Mtz

Very nice and amazing speed. I think in this beta the Blu-Ray conversion is not working.
Quick suggestions:
- remember last folder used
- temporary folder by user choice
- possibility to change the order of tracks. many users will want their language first

enjoy,
Mtz
Mtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 15:37   #9  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

yes, great stuff.

It seems that DVDs with LPCM and/or MPA tracks are not recognized...
Kurtnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 23:47   #10  |  Link
setarip_old

Regarding the just released R1 version of the Warner Bros. "The Dark Knight" - your promising new program incorrectly indicated that it had made a good rip converted to .MKV format. The video portion of the .MKV stops somewhere between 30 and 40 minutes into the film (audio continues throughout).

This DVD uses a different copy protection than that used on the R1 "Prince Caspian" DVD...
Old 10th December 2008, 08:15   #11  |  Link
Mike Chen

Quote:
Regarding the just released R1 version of the Warner Bros. "The Dark Knight" - your promising new program incorrectly indicated that it had made a good rip converted to .MKV format. The video portion of the .MKV stops somewhere between 30 and 40 minutes into the film (audio continues throughout).

This DVD uses a different copy protection than that used on the R1 "Prince Caspian" DVD...
Very strange. I can't see how it could fail if the program reported that conversion was successful - elementary stream is analyzed during conversion. What software are you using for playback? VLC tends to freeze sometimes when seeking large MKV files. Can you process produced MKV with any other software (mkvtoolnix or AviMux GUI)? Thanks a lot for the information though.
Old 10th December 2008, 08:37   #12  |  Link
Mike Chen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emp3r0r View Post
This is a really good looking tool and a great idea. Some questions:
[*]Some source code is available? where?[*]What language is it written in?
The source code for libmkv (MKV muxer) and libdriveio (MMC drive access library) will be available on the site in the near future - it is not suitable yet for general distribution, the source is there but makefiles and documentation are missing. Both libraries are written in C++.

Quote:
[*]HD subtitles and True-HD audio is probably not supported, correct?
HD-dvd subtitles are in fact supported, since it is a mere extension of VobSub format. Blu-ray PGS/TextST subtitles and HD audio codecs are not supported. Not because it is hard to do but because currently there is no software to play/demux it. AC3 and DTS cores are extracted form dolby TrueHD and DTS HD audio.

Quote:
[*]Does it zip IFO or other supporting files and attach them within the MKV? Or is it only audio, video, subs, chapters in resulting MKV (and everything else is thrown away)?
The latter. IFO files are quite unuseful by itself. This exactly the reason why we will release libmkv source code - so everyone can see what exactly goes to the file and how.

Quote:
[*]Can you be more specific about what which DVD's and Blurays it should support? Does it properly support seemless branching discs with no audio drift?
It should support all DVDs - when converting it emulates DVD-player behavior. It supports all types of PG navigation and multiangle video (but forces angle 0 for the moment). It should support all Blu-ray disks as long as it is able to decrypt them. All three Blu-ray video codecs (mpeg,avc,vc1) are supported. Blu-ray chapters are not supported in beta. Please keep in mind that many players including VLC can't demux VC1 video from MKV.
Old 10th December 2008, 08:50   #13  |  Link
setarip_old

@Mike Chen

Any insight you can offer regarding my earlier observations and suggestions in Post #7 here?

**EDIT** Based on your statement, I just processed "The Dark Knight" again - and, for whatever the reason, it now plays back properly, from start to finish.

I'm very impressed with your program's ability to handle this latest copy protection.

Perhaps you can spend some time to determine why your program is not able to handle the type of protection found on "Chronicles of Narnia - Prince Caspian?...

Last edited by setarip_old; 10th December 2008 at 10:35.
Old 10th December 2008, 16:27   #14  |  Link
RunningSkittle
Skittle

Any chance of it simply dumping the files? It would be a very useful ripper!
RunningSkittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008, 19:54   #15  |  Link
setarip_old

@Running Skittle

Hi!
Quote:
Any chance of it simply dumping the files? It would be a very useful ripper!
But in it's present format, the program doesn't generate (or use) .IFOs or menus...
Old 10th December 2008, 22:20   #16  |  Link
RunningSkittle
Skittle

Well how about an option to select a different container (or no container)?

Also is the 2.4x limitation you mentioned present because of some sort of rip lock? Many drivers include this "feature" for its acoustic properties while playing a movie, but it is certainly not limited to ripping at only 2.4x.
RunningSkittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008, 22:56   #17  |  Link
setarip_old

@RunningSkittle
Quote:
Also is the 2.4x limitation you mentioned present because of some sort of rip lock? Many drivers include this "feature" for its acoustic properties while playing a movie, but it is certainly not limited to ripping at only 2.4x.
I've already questioned this in Post #4 of this thread...
Old 10th December 2008, 23:09   #18  |  Link
rack04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Chen View Post
Not because it is hard to do but because currently there is no software to play/demux it. AC3 and DTS cores are extracted form dolby TrueHD and DTS HD audio.
ffdshow tryouts can decode all of the hd audio formats using libavcodec.
rack04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2008, 01:15   #19  |  Link
setarip_old

Quote:
Blu-ray PGS/TextST subtitles and HD audio codecs are not supported. Not because it is hard to do but because currently there is no software to play/demux it.
Doesn't PowerDVD have this ability?
Old 12th December 2008, 01:48   #20  |  Link
steelman1991

Hi Folks

Just stumbled across this software recently and at the moment I'm having mixed results. Anyone else having issues with changes to Aspect Ratio after processing. I just ripped Remember The Titans and on playback the movie is completely framed (black borders on all sides and squashed - sorry only word I could think of to describe). The film is a PAL 16:9 transfer and the original copy displays in widescreen format (Black borders top and bottom).

Any ideas what might be going wrong - I have posted a query on the forum section of the makemkv website, but there appears little activity there.

EDIT

Sorry should have pointed out that I'm playing the file through Vista Media Centre - with CoreAVC, FFDshow (for audio) Haali Splitter. Just checked by playing through MPC HC and it renders the movie correctly. Is this likely to be a FFDshow settings/codec issue, rather than a problem with the software - sorry for all the questions.

Last edited by steelman1991; 12th December 2008 at 02:54.
steelman1991 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blu-ray to mkv, decrypt blu-ray, remove aacs