Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD burning

Old 27th September 2003, 00:41   #1  |  Link
rojo_atlanta

DVD-R plays fine on cheap gear but no audio heard using good gear !?

I started with a DIVX-encoded AVI movie. (Actually I did all these steps on about 8 movies). I ran an AVI-to-MPG converter (Cucusoft) to produce a video stream (.m2v) and an audio stream (.mpa). I multiplexed the two streams using IFOEDIT, which produced .vob, .ifo and .bup files. I burned a DVD-R using Pinnacle Systems’ InstantCopy on a Pioneer DVR-A05 drive.

The resulting DVD plays fine on my Apex AD-1201 DVD player and a Panasonic CTK-2790S 27” TV. When I play that DVD on a JVC XVN50BK DVD player, through a Yamaha RX-V800 A/V amp (optical fiber for audio and 3-cable component video) to a Mitsubishi WS-65857 65” HDTV, I get no sound! Curiously, when I fast-forward the DVD player at 1.5x speed, I hear an audio track. But on the 6x and 20x fast-forward speeds, I hear nothing.

Can anyone tell me why the sound would play fine on the cheap gear and not play on the good gear?

Ron Johnson
rojo2jax@bellsouth.net
rojo_atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2003, 15:54   #2  |  Link
Richk50

DVDR is weird. it's unpredictable what works on what player. I have a $40 mintek which plays Pal and Ntsc, dvd+, dvd- dvdrw any format. Doesn't matter what I put in there it always plays. I also have a $300 Sony that won't play half of my Ntsc dvdr disks. No reason given. Two movies of the same format can be burned using the same software, one plays and one doesn't.
Richk50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2003, 02:02   #3  |  Link
k2

This can not really be a DVDR media problem. The audio and video are really in the same data stream, track. If the video is represent then this audio is there(data wise). How each player deals with slight variation in DVD specs is a larger question.

I agree some players sensetive to DVD-R or DVD+R but not reading or dropping video data much more common indications.
k2 is offline   Reply With Quote