Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd March 2011, 11:00   #341  |  Link
Ghitulescu

That's entirely your problem and is not a bug. Learn how to use it, it's simple to use. As I said before, start with the help file.
Old 3rd March 2011, 03:49   #342  |  Link
MilesAhead

I've used AviAddXSubs for years with my Philips DVD players. I also have a WD HDTV set top box. With settings set to largest font and thickest border the WD box still shows .srt with too small a font and too thin a border. I was using AviAddXSubs to create idx/sub files from the .srt. This allowed me to make the font larger, but the WD box still wasn't showing any border. White subs would disappear when over a white background.

Finally I tried the YUV option and got the black border on the subs!! What a world of difference!! Subs stand out no matter the background now. Just thought I'd make the comment because when looking at subs in a software player on the PC with YUV option on, the white subs seem blurred with a funky color. For this reason I was discouraged from trying it on the WD box. But on the WD box the files show fine.

If you have a WD set top box try the YUV option. I still think, at least for 1st gen WD box, only White subs with Black border works for idx/sub files. It will display color for DVD subtitles when playing a DVD. But the idx/sub files are much better than just using .srt external files.
Old 10th March 2011, 01:21   #343  |  Link
jandor

Guide AVIAddXSubs: By jandor / Brazilian Portuguese Language

Fórum Legenda TV

Fórum Clube do Hardware
jandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2015, 00:41   #344  |  Link
chexmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmk View Post
For more information and download visit http://aviaddxsubs.blogspot.com.

Version 9.10.
The last time this thread received a post was years ago. I notice AVIAddXSubs is now at version 9.15. Did the conversation move somewhere else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deank View Post
So settings should be:

[FONT="Courier New"] X = WIDTH * 0.375

WIDTH | HEIGHT | CP= | VP= |
----------------------------
< 0721 | <0577 | (X) | 450 | i.e. 624x...., 640x...., 720x.... videos
< 1281 | <0721 | (X) | 660 | i.e. 1280x.... videos
< 1981 | <1081 | (X) | 660 | i.e. 1920x.... videos
I'm really glad I found AVIAddXSubs and your post to explain how I could use it with my PS3.

I have a bunch of MP4 files in varying resolutions and each with an SRT file. This works great in VLC but the PS3 doesn't support SRT (as of Dec 2014). Moreover when I converted some of the MP4 files to AVI I ended up with files bigger than 4GB. And that of course is a problem because the PS3 only accepts FAT32 formatted USB drives, and FAT32 only accepts <=4GB files.

My process to get everything working now is this:
  1. Convert the video files to AVI using ffmpeg. I use the same command string as in AVIAddXSubs.
    Code:
    ffmpeg -y -i FILENAME.mp4 -vcodec mpeg4  -q:v 0 -vtag XVID -acodec libmp3lame -ab 128k -ac 2 -q:a 0 -use_odml 0 FILENAME.avi
  2. Split the AVI files to 3.5GB each using splitMKV.exe. splitMKV is part of multiAVCHD. I use this utility because it will split the SRT files in sync with the AVI files. I don't use 4GB because AViAddXSubs doesn't always work right at that size (MuxXSubs: (RT) Out of memory - Line 1220); I think it needs some extra space for integrating the subtitles.
    Code:
    splitMKV FILENAME.avi "some\output\folder" /split:3500
  3. Convert the split MKV files back to an AVI container. Though splitMKV can split an AVI file it puts each piece in an MKV container so this step is necessary to convert them back to AVI.
    Code:
    ffmpeg -y -i FILENAME-part-001.mkv -vcodec copy -acodec copy FILENAME-part-001.avi
    ffmpeg -y -i FILENAME-part-002.mkv -vcodec copy -acodec copy FILENAME-part-002.avi
  4. Run AViAddXSubs to integrate the subtitles.
    Code:
    AViAddXSubs FILENAME-part-001.avi FILENAME-part-002.avi

For subtitles I based my work off deank's calculations. I'm not exactly the same because I wanted to get my subtitles as close as possible to my television's closed captioning size. I have a Sony KV-24FS100 television (24" SDTV).

In all cases my AViAddXSubs subtitle settings are set to opaque, yellow text on black background (sony is actually white but I like yellow better), Verdana, no bold, no full screen.

For a video 623x532 I use:
Bitmap 720x576, CP 320, VP 450, Verdana 16

For a video 1920x1080 I use:
Bitmap 1920x1080, CP 720, VP 670, Verdana 24

CP settings don't seem to make a big difference, at least with 1920x1080. I can set it at 680 or 600 it's still in the same position, approximately the center of the screen.

VP settings do make a difference though. Sony closed captioning when it runs on the bottom of the screen is about an inch up from the bottom of the caption box to bottom of the viewable area. The subtitles on the other hand I have set to be about 3/4" from the bottom of the subtitle box to the bottom of the viewable area. Again this is just a matter of preference.

The way I arrived at the font settings was by measuring an uppercase T on the sony closed captioning (horizontal .5-light x vertical .5) and then trying different sizes until I got as close as possible to that.

Attached is a picture of an integrated subtitle video made using AVIAddXSubs playing on my TV via PS3.
Attached Images

chexmix is offline   Reply With Quote