Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 27th December 2008, 00:53   #5341  |  Link
Px
>>^^__^^<<

That was not mine screenshot, but I can do same
http://img385.imageshack.us/my.php?i...14933crxz1.jpg
And one another strange sceenshot
http://img111.imageshack.us/my.php?i...02023crlj8.jpg
Old 27th December 2008, 02:36   #5342  |  Link
Casshern

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshmothma View Post
No, sorry, there is no support for DXVA with EVR in Windows XP. Even if the codec property pages say bitstream the cpu still does the processing. There is no support whether VC-1 or h.264 is used. I use an ati card as well (4850) and used the mpc codecs with the typical results - no support for dxva with EVR in XP.
No - the CPU does not do the decoding. And Yes its DXVA. The ATI2x00 and 4x00 use a different DXVA engine, maybe thats why its not working for you. But i doublechecked with another 2x00 owner and it works for him too. We both use Catalyst 8.5, winxp sp3 and the evr property dll somebody posted here a long time ago. But at the moment you do not loose much, as this mode behaves similar to VMR9 in that DXVA shows some corruption and "jumping" frames. That's why i suspect it falls back to some VMR9 compatibility mode. It works better under VISTA.

Last edited by Casshern; 27th December 2008 at 02:40.
Old 27th December 2008, 02:43   #5343  |  Link
Casshern

Thanks for the effort to post the screenshots to confirm the usage of DXVA with EVR under WINXP. Just two questions: What card do you use and do you also have occasional corruption, jumping frames in this mode?

Last edited by Casshern; 27th December 2008 at 02:47.
Old 27th December 2008, 03:43   #5344  |  Link
CruNcher

wow EVR working with DXVA in MPC-HC under XP, wonder if that also works for Nvidias Driver, did you tried it with another DXVA Decoder like Arcsoft, Cyberlink, Elecard ?
Strange it seems to only work with VC-1 i wonder why H.264 gets blocked except if your stream gets rejected anyways by MPC-HC to get processed by the GPU and seeing it's Anime i guess the Encoder didn't take the restrictions into account and so it falls back to Software Decoding

How is the CPU and Kernel utilization with EVR (DXVA) under XP compared to VMR9 (DXVA) ?

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 27th December 2008 at 03:50.
Old 27th December 2008, 03:47   #5345  |  Link
rack04

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruNcher View Post
wow EVR working with DXVA in MPC-HC under XP, wonder if that also works for Nvidias Driver, did you tried it with another DXVA Decoder like Arcsoft, Cyberlink, Elecard ?
Does it work also with Mpeg-2 and H.264 ?
I think there is a bug in the output renderer because I can select Haali and DXVA works with Nvidia 8800GT.
Old 27th December 2008, 03:53   #5346  |  Link
CruNcher

LOL yeah that is really strange now, except maybe Casimir666 implemented also a DXVA force so when you select DXVA as Decoder it uses the Renderer capable of providing it ignoring your selection and if it can't find any falls back to the Renderer you selected and Software Decoding would make perfect sense

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 27th December 2008 at 04:00.
Old 27th December 2008, 05:28   #5347  |  Link
turbojet

It seems like seeking of m2ts muxed from 264 video files puts the a/v out of sync. At least for me. But if m2ts is muxed from mkv file seeking is ok. I tried MPC-HC 908 and 940 with internal, coreavc, ffdshow-mt decoders with old renderer, overlay, VMR7/9, haali, and EVR. I couldn't test DXVA, old video card. WMP 11 and PowerDVD 8 seeking it stays in sync.

I posted some examples here only the encoded link is useful, the BDRB.m2ts is problematic, the others were muxed from mkv files and are ok.
Old 27th December 2008, 10:57   #5348  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ChargerFan View Post
Are you referring to the external filter available at sourceforge, or the one built into mpc?

If the latter, my experience is that mpc cannot send 1536 dts tracks over spdif for mpeg & ts sources as well. The problem wasn't limited to mkv.

As a result, I use spdifer (part of the ac3filter project).
well it's the same code, as I understand it.
the latest build seems to work fine now, I need to run more tests though.
Old 27th December 2008, 13:00   #5349  |  Link
Px
>>^^__^^<<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casshern View Post
Thanks for the effort to post the screenshots to confirm the usage of DXVA with EVR under WINXP. Just two questions: What card do you use and do you also have occasional corruption, jumping frames in this mode?
Card - Radeon 3850, corruption and other problems - no, but mpc hc is my second video player, which I don't use often, only for BR copys/remuxes
Old 27th December 2008, 13:03   #5350  |  Link
Px
>>^^__^^<<

Quote:
How is the CPU and Kernel utilization with EVR (DXVA) under XP compared to VMR9 (DXVA) ?
For both questions answer is - don't check, currently I have not much free time
Old 27th December 2008, 14:18   #5351  |  Link
gngn
the hedgehog

DXVA with EVR and EVR custom seems to works with Nvidia also. no corruption or other problems, only thing is, subs and the "Display stats" dont work, then again, subs + Display stats work when DXA is not enabled. i got the evr.dll from microsofts .net frame 3.0.
but it shows the EVR renderer only with nonDXVA, with DXVA enabled its VMR ... so i think it falls back to vmr7 maybe when the file is DXVA compliant.

later edit: this is only for H.264, as nvidia cards dont support VC-1 bitstream decoding.

Last edited by gngn; 28th December 2008 at 14:25.
Old 27th December 2008, 19:05   #5352  |  Link
Kado
Otaku

Everyone, if you check Px first picture DXVA checker says that VC-1 bitstream decoding can be used with both DXVA1 and DXVA2 but H.264 bitstream decoding only supports DXVA1 making the usage of evr on xp with DXVA mystery solved.

@rack04
Can you provide a screenshot of DXVA with haali working?
Old 27th December 2008, 19:17   #5353  |  Link
rack04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kado View Post
@rack04
Can you provide a screenshot of DXVA with haali working?
I never said Haali was working. I just said that DXVA worked when Haali Renderer was selected.

This is the renderer that MPC uses when DXVA is enabled with Haali Renderer.

Old 27th December 2008, 19:27   #5354  |  Link
Kado
Otaku

Then that just like CruNcher said here, "forced DXVA by changing to a supported renderer".
I think that "video renderer" is VMR7 Windowed.

Last edited by Kado; 27th December 2008 at 19:30.
Old 28th December 2008, 02:09   #5355  |  Link
moshmothma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casshern View Post
No - the CPU does not do the decoding. And Yes its DXVA. The ATI2x00 and 4x00 use a different DXVA engine, maybe thats why its not working for you. But i doublechecked with another 2x00 owner and it works for him too. We both use Catalyst 8.5, winxp sp3 and the evr property dll somebody posted here a long time ago. But at the moment you do not loose much, as this mode behaves similar to VMR9 in that DXVA shows some corruption and "jumping" frames. That's why i suspect it falls back to some VMR9 compatibility mode. It works better under VISTA.
No offense but this is a lot of misinformation. If EVR is not in the filter chain it DOES NOT work. Based on some of the other responses, it looks like even though you select EVR it is defaulting to VMR7 for playback (which supports DXVA in XP). Please show your screenshots of EVR working with DXVA in XP.

To reiterate EVR with DXVA does NOT work with XP. Of course, it works better in Vista BECAUSE it actually works

Not trying to be confrontational but I can see someone reading that kind of statement and spending hours troubleshooting and researching why they can't get DXVA with their ATI 2x000 cards working in XP.
Old 28th December 2008, 08:13   #5356  |  Link
SBeaver

I can't get any video on my secondary screen when playing VC1 video with the DXVA and overlay renderer.
Is this some sort of limitation of overlay or can it be fixed?
Now I have to use microsofts vc1 decoder instead since ffdshow just plays garbage.
Old 28th December 2008, 11:39   #5357  |  Link
Casshern

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshmothma View Post
No offense but this is a lot of misinformation. If EVR is not in the filter chain it DOES NOT work. Based on some of the other responses, it looks like even though you select EVR it is defaulting to VMR7 for playback (which supports DXVA in XP). Please show your screenshots of EVR working with DXVA in XP.

To reiterate EVR with DXVA does NOT work with XP. Of course, it works better in Vista BECAUSE it actually works

Not trying to be confrontational but I can see someone reading that kind of statement and spending hours troubleshooting and researching why they can't get DXVA with their ATI 2x000 cards working in XP.
Before posting - just try it. Or look at the screenshots px posted here. That's the same i am getting and the same the other posters are seeing. EVR is in the filter chain - what it does internally is still up to discussion, but it DOES NOT fall back to VMR7 (windowed or not). More likely it falls back to some sort of VMR9 compatibility mode, if it falls back at all - as the EVR property page is fully functional. Please stay to the facts, everything else is misinformation.

Last edited by Casshern; 28th December 2008 at 11:46.
Old 28th December 2008, 11:50   #5358  |  Link
Casshern

Quote:
LOL yeah that is really strange now, except maybe Casimir666 implemented also a DXVA force so when you select DXVA as Decoder it uses the Renderer capable of providing it ignoring your selection and if it can't find any falls back to the Renderer you selected and Software Decoding would make perfect sense
Actually the EVR renderer is in the filterchain. So any fallback has to be internal to the EVR renderer. Internally EVR might have some VMR9 compatibility mode. On the other hand the EVR property page works. What EVR under XP does internally is still up for discussion, but from a users perspective it just means he has an additional renderer option to use DXVA with VC1-Bitstreams.

Last edited by Casshern; 28th December 2008 at 11:52.
Old 28th December 2008, 13:20   #5359  |  Link
Kado
Otaku

There's no discussion.... Do you guys actually read what some people say in this thread? VC-1 bitstream decoding supports both DXVA1(VMR9) and DXVA2(EVR) in xp according to Px picture of DXVA Checker! ModeVC1_VLD is VC-1 Bitstream decoding and has DXVA1/2 as supported modes listed.
There's no fallback no hidden stuff. EVR is the renderer being used.
Old 28th December 2008, 14:28   #5360  |  Link
gngn
the hedgehog

question: are there any reviews with the difference in overall power consumption of a PC/notebook when using software decoding versus shifting the task to the GPU? especially for notebook users this would be important.
tried to google for some answers but found nothing relevant.
Closed Thread

Tags
dxva, h264, home cinema, media player classic, mpc-hc