Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 3rd March 2013, 17:44   #1  |  Link
Sn8kbordin

Split MP4 into less than 4GB parts but only 1st play on PS3

Hello,

I split a BluRay backup into less than 4GB parts so I could play it off the USB drive on Playstation 3 because WiFi G is too slow to stream it in some parts (X264 Q19.5, film, and PS3 preset). It also has QuickTime audio 5.1 track (Q65).
When MeGUI, and YAMB split the MP4 only first part plays. I tried streaming, playing from internal HDD and USB and only 1st part plays. The 2nd and 3rd parts just have a black screen and do no play, but PS3 doesn't give errors.

Is there a way to have MP4s that are less than 4GBs since splitting does not work that would play on PS3?
Or split them in some other way?

Last edited by Sn8kbordin; 4th March 2013 at 01:23.
Sn8kbordin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 02:39   #2  |  Link
setarip_old

Quote:
Is there a way to have MP4s that are less than 4GBs
Use BD Rebuilder to convert and compress your (ripped) original, commercial Blu-ray disc to .MP4. Choose from amongst the several available video and audio settings to create an .MP4 that's less than Gb in size, with no splitting necessary...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2013, 01:39   #3  |  Link
Sn8kbordin

Oh, I thought BD-RB had an option for what I am looking for. Even encoding parts of a movie, by chapters, so MP4s end up less than 4 GB. I guess I could do that manually, but I wanted to see if there is an automated solution for that.

I want to keep my back up done at CRF 19 and split it, not compress it more, into MP4 files that are less than 4 GB (doesn't have to be exact 4 GB, just less) so it fits on a FAT32 formatted volume that PS3 only works with.

Thanks anyway setarip_old.

Last edited by Sn8kbordin; 6th March 2013 at 01:43.
Old 6th March 2013, 01:41   #4  |  Link
Sn8kbordin

I'll try muxing audio and video tracks by themselves to see if its AAC encoded with QuickTime or AVC encoded with X264 that stops split MP4s playing on PS33.

Edit: can't mux MP4 without video. I'll try different devices then in MeGUI MP4 muxer.

Last edited by Sn8kbordin; 6th March 2013 at 01:51.
Old 6th March 2013, 01:51   #5  |  Link
setarip_old

Doing as I suggested yields eminently viewable (+AAC audio) .MP4s of less than 4GB for each fullblown Blu-ray...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2013, 01:54   #6  |  Link
Sn8kbordin

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
Doing as I suggested yields eminently viewable (+AAC audio) .MP4s of less than 4GB for each fullblown Blu-ray...
I know.
Then I could make AVCHD DVD-DL discs but I want to store media on my NAS so my son won't damage discs with 2 pass encoding.
And also at CRF 19 I'm getting close to what video would be on DVD-DL back up with less time.
And it is one of the reasons I bought this NAS. Currently the PS3 is not wired to the NAS and G WiFi is too slow so I want to have a second copy on external USB HDD connected to the PS3.

Last edited by Sn8kbordin; 6th March 2013 at 01:56.

Tags
megui, mp4, ps3, splitting, yamb