Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 27th November 2007, 21:21   #1  |  Link
redwoodie

Is it possible to burn HD (AVI) file to regular DVD with no loss of quality?

Hi:

Anyone know if its possible to burn HD quality video onto a standard DVD without loss of video quality?

I've been investigating how to burn my HD video clips (AVI file, 1024x768) onto a regular DVD disk with no loss of quality....so far with no viable results. Following some forum stream directions (that said it's possible) I've been able to create both HD and Bluray quality video files (using Ulead/Roxio) and burn them (using a feature in Nero) to a standard DVD but the resulting DVD cannot be read/played.

My goal is to enable 'mass' (using DVD's vs PC files) sharing of my personal video clips without reducing the video quality (or having to purchase a HD or Bluray burner).

Any information, including links to already published directions, would be appreciated. Thanks!
redwoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2007, 02:19   #2  |  Link
CWR03
Custom User Title

Converting to a lossy format (MPEG-2) is the culprit, which makes it impossible to do what you want with no loss of quality. Your best be would be to purchase a player that can play an .AVI burned to disk.
CWR03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2007, 06:27   #3  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodie View Post
Following some forum stream directions (that said it's possible) I've been able to create both HD and Bluray quality video files (using Ulead/Roxio) and burn them (using a feature in Nero) to a standard DVD but the resulting DVD cannot be read/played.
You still have to have an HD player to play HD, whether it's on DVD or not, though. It'll work fine on PCs as long as people have the decoders, but not on standalones.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2007, 08:23   #4  |  Link
setarip_old

@redwoodie

Hi!
Quote:
how to burn my HD video clips (AVI file, 1024x768) onto a regular DVD disk with no loss of quality
What video and audio codecs did you use to create these .AVIs?
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2007, 19:21   #5  |  Link
redwoodie

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, your responses, that it's not possible to play on standalone machines, is what I expected. I suppose one 'can't defy the laws of physics'. However, I'm going to keep checking. Web sites, such as below, continue to give me hope there might be a method out there.

http://www.avchd-info.org/

Setarip_old:
I don't have (here at work) the details (codecs) I use to create my AVI files. However, the majority of my AVI files come from my Canon camera. These are the files I'm trying to burn to/share on standard DVD.
Old 28th November 2007, 19:48   #6  |  Link
cweb

I don't have one but what about a dvd player which plays xvid/divx files? Would that fail too?
Old 29th November 2007, 05:03   #7  |  Link
redwoodie

Hi cweb:

I have a new upconverting (1080P) DVD player that supposedly plays divx files (I've never tried it with divx) and had no luck playing my 'HD' standard DVD. It wouldn't recognize the DVD.
Old 29th November 2007, 05:37   #8  |  Link
setarip_old

Quote:
I've never tried it with divx
That's why I was asking you what video and audio codecs you used.

It might be worth experimenting by converting one of your present .AVIs (VERY likely NOT .DivX-compressed, considering the source is a digital camera) to DivX-compressed (plus .MP3 audio) - and try to play it on your upconverting, DivX-compatible player...

**EDIT**

I just converted a couple of snippets of DivX-compressed .AVIs to 1280x720 and 1920x1080, burned them (as .AVIs) to a DVD, and attempted to play them on one of my standalone DVD players that both plays DivX-compressed .AVIs and performs upscaling.

Although they play perfectly on PCs, neither played on the standalone player...

Last edited by setarip_old; 29th November 2007 at 06:36.
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 08:25   #9  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwoodie View Post
Web sites, such as below, continue to give me hope there might be a method out there.

http://www.avchd-info.org/
AVCHD is basically just Bluray format on a DVD, DV disc, flash card, or whatever. Like I said, you need an HD player to play that, because it's not even the slightest bit similar to DVD video.

The only way something will play on a standard DVD player is if it's authored as a DVD, not simply a burned video.

Standard definition DVD players are the only mass market you can reliably target, unfortunately, though you can do what some companies do - include a video DVD and a WMV HD CD or DVD for playback on computers. (Note this isn't compatible with either HD format, unfortunately, you'd need yet another disc for that, like AVCHD or HD-DVD9.)
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 09:38   #10  |  Link
FlimsyFeet

Nearly all decoding chipsets in DivX/Xvid compatible standalone players, even upscaling ones, can only cope with AVI files with SD resolutions (i.e. up to a maxium of 720 x 576 px.)
Old 29th November 2007, 17:22   #11  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlimsyFeet View Post
Nearly all decoding chipsets in DivX/Xvid compatible standalone players, even upscaling ones, can only cope with AVI files with SD resolutions (i.e. up to a maxium of 720 x 576 px.)
No. I routinely make 1280x720 Xvids from my 1920x1080 HDTV captures and they play fine using my 2+ year-old Pinnacle ShowCenter SC200 media player. I'd expect any player w/the EM8620L Sigma Designs chip to do the same.
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 18:27   #12  |  Link
manono

Which is why he said nearly all. Players with the EM8620L chipsets are fairly rare yet.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 18:37   #13  |  Link
Mtz

Just keep them as avi (divx, xvid) and wait to buy a media center like Tvix:
http://www.tvix.co.kr/eng/

enjoy,
Mtz
Mtz is offline   Reply With Quote