Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > Advanced authoring

Old 11th March 2003, 00:42   #1  |  Link
Xitrum

Get VTS Sectors in IFOUpdate Vs. IFOEdit

There seemed to be some differences between the Get VTS Sector in IFOEdit and Get VTS Sector in IFOUpdate! On some of the movies they seemed to agree with each other but on some of the movie they seemed not
Some of the movies, after re-authored and IFOUpdated, I used the get VTS buttons in IFOUpdate to correct the VTS sectors. After it went thru and did what it needed to do, I used IFOEdit to load the file again and used the Get VTS sector button again to confirm. For some of the movie, IFOEdit did not updated anything, but for some reason, there are some movies that IFOEdit update the VTSes again. I was puzzled, so I tried to load the new updated files in IFOUpdate again, so see if it agreed with what IFOEdit done. IFOUpdate then reversed what IFOEdit just did and fixed the VTSes the way it thinks is correct, and if I then put these thru IFOEdit again, then IFOEdit just reversed what IFOUpdate just did.

Does anybody knows why there are differences between IFOUpdate and IFOEdit in some of the movie when performing Get VTS sectors?
Which one is correct IFOEdit or IFOUpdate?
It seemed to me that the "Get VTS sectors" function in the latest version of IFOUpdate is more correct as the re-author movies seemed to be able to play on more standalone DVD player. Am I correct in saying that?
Old 11th March 2003, 01:12   #2  |  Link
Eyes`Only
Dizzin It Fizzast Fo Yizz

On Derrow's site there's a detailed description of exactly how 'Get VTS Sectors' works: http://mpucoder.kewlhair.com/Derrow/calcsec.html

I believe that JDobbs wrote his function based on that description, but have no idea if this idea ever went further than that. I too have noticed that the functions are not identical in both programs, yet neither have caused a problem for me, so I've not looked into it further.
•DVD2AVIdg useable by ReAuthorist •Bitrate control for use with NuMenu4U •Extras Bitrate applied to smaller PGCs in Main VTS •ScenAid integration •Right-Click Menus •Minimize to Systray •Improved Deinterlace Scripts
See: http://www.doitfast4u.com.

Use the donation link on the above URL or the app itself to make a $15+ donation and join the VIP list today!
Eyes`Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2003, 01:40   #3  |  Link
Xitrum

Thanks Eyes` Only, I guessed only the author of these softwares (Derrow and JDobbs) can answer these questions.
Old 13th March 2003, 14:05   #4  |  Link
ivanch

I did realise about that as well.

And I think it is more reliable IFOEdit.

In a couple of Dvds I had problems (They didn't play in standalones) because I used the Get Vts sectors from IFOUpdate.

Now I only use the one from IFOEdit.
ivanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2003, 23:21   #5  |  Link
Xitrum

Ivanch,
I did have the same problems, but I think the problems are fixed in the latest version of IFOUpdate (v.0.69)
Old 14th March 2003, 18:09   #6  |  Link
FilipeAmadeuO

That only happen when you got a 0 kb file.
Ifoedit seems to modifie wrongly the Sectors when you have a 0 Kb file (s).
you can do 2 ways :
- Delete the 0 kb file and do GET VTS Sectors with Ifoedit
- Correct the sectors with ifoupdate (without delecting the 0 kb file)
FilipeAmadeuO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2003, 22:55   #7  |  Link
Mikel

I agree...

That IfoUpdate does have the above mentioned problems with 0-size files. IfoUpdate even starts creation new VTS-*.ifo files which comletly messes everything up.

Cheers

Mikel
Mikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2003, 11:30   #8  |  Link
ivanch

Xitrum,

I had a problem with a DVD even with IFOUpdate 0.69
ivanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2003, 19:26   #9  |  Link
jdobbs

That sucks! Who wrote that POS IFOUpdate?

I'll take a look at it -- I haven't personally had this problem. I can honestly say that when in doubt, I would trust IFOEDIT.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2003, 19:32   #10  |  Link
Eyes`Only

LOL! You know your app has been a godsend! I even finally figured out that adjusted cell mode, without a guide. (Just long, dark hours of trial and error...)

I haven't had issues with IfoUpdate's Get VTS Sectors ever. Sure I may have seen IFOEdit correct something once or twice after IFOUpdate was already done, but in my experience the DVD played before AND after ifoedit did it's extra corrections.

Then again, I never have 0-byte files. What's the use?
•DVD2AVIdg useable by ReAuthorist •Bitrate control for use with NuMenu4U •Extras Bitrate applied to smaller PGCs in Main VTS •ScenAid integration •Right-Click Menus •Minimize to Systray •Improved Deinterlace Scripts

Use the donation link on the above URL or the app itself to make a $15+ donation and join the VIP list today!
Old 6th March 2004, 15:34   #11  |  Link
n1ck0s
... goes to Hollywood

Bringing up an old post...

Thanx to ScenAid I was able to backup succesfully Matrix, one of the easiest DVD layouts out there .

One thing I noticed. If I "Correct VTS Sectors" w/ IfoEdit it comes up w/ an error. If I use Correct VTS in IFOUpdate and then IFOEdit (it stills corrects some things) then no erros whatsoever.

I always though IFOEdit was more reliable w/ Correct VTS function? Whats the deal? Do you use this function fron inside IFOUpdate?
n1ck0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2004, 18:30   #12  |  Link
Eyes`Only

When you say 'you' do you mean me? If so, yes I use the ifoupdate function to correct vtses. After all, it's the only one that has been adjusted/modified/improved in quite some time.

Old 6th March 2004, 23:56   #13  |  Link
n1ck0s
... goes to Hollywood

no, I was talking generally, but I'm glad you responded . In fact using IFOUpdate to correct vts sectors and then IFOEdit, produced a "DVDShrink compatible" disk. That was the first one that didn't give errors w/ DVDShrink, w/o having to do the IFOEdit trick ("correct original IFO files" function).
Old 7th March 2004, 01:12   #14  |  Link
Eyes`Only

Interesting. Completely useless to me, but interesting.

Old 7th March 2004, 04:45   #15  |  Link
jdobbs

I think you are safe using IFOUpdate or IFOEdit for correcting VTS Sectors -- but not running IFOEDit after IFOUpdate does an update from newly authored to original IFO. IFOUpdate can leave "dead" space when moving smaller tables into larger space in ther original IFO (reaching across 2048 byte boundaries). There are times when IFOEdit sees that and trys to fix the pointers, but does so incorrectly. If you search the forum you'll find some discussions on it.
Old 7th March 2004, 20:42   #16  |  Link
n1ck0s
... goes to Hollywood

Quote:
but not running IFOEDit after IFOUpdate does an update from newly authored to original IFO
But, isn't this the standard procedure? Updating through IFOUpdate and then "Correct VTS Sectors" w/ IfoEdit?
Old 7th March 2004, 20:48   #17  |  Link
jdobbs

Why would you run "Get VTS Sectors" separately when it can be done as a part of the IFOUpdate? Yes, you can run it -- but there are times, rare as they are, when you can get problems.
Old 7th March 2004, 21:23   #18  |  Link
n1ck0s
... goes to Hollywood

It seems that some times IfoEdit still finds things to correct after IFOUpdate's "Correct VTS blah". I though it was generally a good thing to do.
Old 7th March 2004, 22:00   #19  |  Link
jdobbs

The only time I have seen IFOEdit make additional corrections after IFOUpdate, it caused errors. If you look at the DOOM9 guides you won't see additional IFOEDIT corrections after IFOUpdating. Not that I'm slighting IFOEDIT -- Derrow is the "smart guy" and IFOEDIT's correction was the basis for what IFOUpdate does. IFOUpdate just automated a formerly manual process and added a few bells and whistles.

If you feel like re-correcting, then correct away. I'm only telling you that it can cause problems in some instances.
Old 7th March 2004, 22:26   #20  |  Link
FilipeAmadeuO

The only times that Ifoedit corrects after IfoUpdate is if you have a 0kb VOB. Ít´s a bug in Ifoedit. Just delete the 0Kb file and correct VTS sectors. Then both corrections (IfoEdit and IfoUpdate) gives the same result.
Try it !!!
FilipeAmadeuO is offline   Reply With Quote