Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 18th September 2008, 22:24   #6241  |  Link
kurt
sidekick

I got problems with processing the constantine hd-dvd:

"The format of the source file could not be detected"

sample (evo, 9 MB)

any help is appreciated

(I'm using latest eac3to)
Old 19th September 2008, 01:39   #6242  |  Link
rica

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post

sample (evo, 9 MB)

any help is appreciated

I wonder how you extracted this evo?
Old 19th September 2008, 02:19   #6243  |  Link
Tegeril

I'm having trouble converting the DTS-MA to ac3 from the 28 Days Later Blu-ray disc.

Am I missing a step (I don't have ArcSoft so it's using Sonic) and I do:

eac3to "pathToProperM2TS" 6: -640 28DaysLater.ac3

It says:
"The ArcSoft decoder doesn't seem to work, will use Sonic instead."
"Extracting audio track number 6..."
"Decoding with DirectShow (Sonic Audio Decoder)..."
"DirectShow reports 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 48khz"
"Encoding AC3 (with libAften)..."

And then it hangs, the indicator stops blinking, the eac3to process pegs the core it is using, and nothing happens.
Old 19th September 2008, 04:12   #6244  |  Link
Nullity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegeril View Post
I'm having trouble converting the DTS-MA to ac3 from the 28 Days Later Blu-ray disc.

It says:

And then it hangs, the indicator stops blinking, the eac3to process pegs the core it is using, and nothing happens.
I currently don't have ArcSoft either, so when I want to convert DTS-HD to AC3, I first extract the DTS core. Then I run the core file through eac3to to get the AC3.

Yeah, it's an extra step, but it only takes a few minutes, and it has always worked for me.
Old 19th September 2008, 04:14   #6245  |  Link
Tegeril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullity View Post
I currently don't have ArcSoft either, so when I want to convert DTS-HD to AC3, I first extract the DTS core. Then I run the core file through eac3to to get the AC3.

Yeah, it's an extra step, but it only takes a few minutes, and it has always worked for me.
Oh. Makes sense. Thanks!
Old 19th September 2008, 04:19   #6246  |  Link
rack04

Quote:

sample (evo, 9 MB)

any help is appreciated

I have this HD DVD. If you're still having problems I could rip it and give it a go. Just let me know.
Old 19th September 2008, 04:56   #6247  |  Link
Duppie

I just want to confirm if some of you also have this problem. Now and then I retest new eac3to versions to see if all is still OK for me. So, I always follow the same procedure to backup my BR movies but with eac3to version 2.63 there seems to be a problem with the PCM conversion. I have followed the same procedure with previous versions (2.57 and 2.59) and it always worked. What I do:

Converted BR audio track (TrueHD) to PCM: C:\eac3to 0001.m2ts 4: E:\audio.pcm. Obviously track 4 is the TrueHD track. Run PCM track through Pcm2Tsmu. Multiplex video and audio to Blu-Ray structure.

When played the sound is a bit fast forwarded and there is a lot of noise, weird sounds and cracks.

Any ideas? Am i doing something wrong? If I could assist in anyway to resolve this please let me know.

Duppie
Old 19th September 2008, 05:01   #6248  |  Link
yonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullity View Post

You don't need an extra step.

Code:
eac3to source.m2ts x: target.ac3 -libav
eac3to automatically extracts dtscore from DTS-HD track, decode it with libav and encode to ac3 in one step.
Old 19th September 2008, 05:09   #6249  |  Link
Nullity

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonta View Post
You don't need an extra step.

Code:
eac3to source.m2ts x: target.ac3 -libav
eac3to automatically extracts dtscore from DTS-HD track, decode it with libav and encode to ac3 in one step.
Ah nice, thanks for the tip!
Old 19th September 2008, 05:47   #6250  |  Link
Snowknight26

Trying to convert the DTS commentary tracks on the Shoot 'Em Up Blu-ray. DTS is extracted properly and is played fine with ffdshow (libdts), but when I use eac3to to convert it to WAV using libav the end result is horrible.

http://www.stfcc.org/misc/shootemup.cut.dts
Old 19th September 2008, 06:22   #6251  |  Link
kurt
sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rica View Post
I wonder how you extracted this evo?
this is just one part of the hd-dvd. Don't know which programm was used for extracting anymore...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
I have this HD DVD. If you're still having problems I could rip it and give it a go. Just let me know.
let's wait what madshi said. If opening it in evodemux everything seems to be fine...

I know I could just demux the vc1 (main movie uses vc1) with evodemux and process it with vc1conv. But I would like to use eac3to rather...
Old 19th September 2008, 08:12   #6252  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:

sample (evo, 9 MB)
This one is clearly corrupt. Just play the EVO file and you'll see that the image breaks up at one point. You should rerip the disc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegeril View Post

It says:

I guess that either the Sonic decoder isn't working properly for you (in that case use "-libav" or buy ArcSoft). Or maybe your rip is corrupt, which often makes the Sonic decoder crash or freeze. Try reripping the disc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duppie View Post
I just want to confirm if some of you also have this problem. Now and then I retest new eac3to versions to see if all is still OK for me. So, I always follow the same procedure to backup my BR movies but with eac3to version 2.63 there seems to be a problem with the PCM conversion. I have followed the same procedure with previous versions (2.57 and 2.59) and it always worked. What I do:

Converted BR audio track (TrueHD) to PCM: C:\eac3to 0001.m2ts 4: E:\audio.pcm. Obviously track 4 is the TrueHD track. Run PCM track through Pcm2Tsmu. Multiplex video and audio to Blu-Ray structure.

When played the sound is a bit fast forwarded and there is a lot of noise, weird sounds and cracks.
Try converting to FLAC instead of PCM and check whether the resulting FLAC file plays back in correct speed and without cracks (for playback I'd suggest the madFlac FLAC DirectShow filter). If the FLAC file plays back fine then most probably the problem is caused by either Pcm2Tsmu or tsMuxeR and not by eac3to. If the FLAC is bad, too, I'd be very interested in a sample of that m2ts file!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowknight26 View Post
Trying to convert the DTS commentary tracks on the Shoot 'Em Up Blu-ray. DTS is extracted properly and is played fine with ffdshow (libdts), but when I use eac3to to convert it to WAV using libav the end result is horrible.

http://www.stfcc.org/misc/shootemup.cut.dts
Thanks for the sample. Seems to be a bug in libav. You'll have to use ArcSoft, Sonic or Nero for decoding. Tested with ArcSoft and the result is fine.

Quote:
let's wait what madshi said. If opening it in evodemux everything seems to be fine...
EvoDemux doesn't care about corruption. eac3to does.

Quote:
I know I could just demux the vc1 (main movie uses vc1) with evodemux and process it with vc1conv. But I would like to use eac3to rather...
You could still demux with EvoDemux and then use eac3to for everything else. eac3to can do exactly the same thing as vc1conv on raw demuxed VC-1 streams, too ("eac3to source.vc1 dest.vc1" will remove the pulldown etc). BUT your best bet is to rerip the disc. After that eac3to should properly handle the EVO file.
Old 19th September 2008, 08:43   #6253  |  Link
kurt
sidekick

ok, thank you for your suggestion. I'll look into the main movie and see if it is corrupt too

(I'm sitting here behind a remote desktop so I didn't notice that the sample is garbled)

Last edited by kurt; 19th September 2008 at 09:03.
Old 19th September 2008, 09:57   #6254  |  Link
odin24

Quote:

Any ideas? Am i doing something wrong? If I could assist in anyway to resolve this please let me know.

Duppie
Try using just eac3to, also use eac3to and more gui. Use the Remap to Blu ray 6 channel options as well, and output to .wav. tsMuxeR accepts it as PCM, unfortunately I have no way of testing due to reciever limitations. Please try this, I am curious to see if it works.
Old 19th September 2008, 10:31   #6255  |  Link
Duppie

@Madshi

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately I can only test PCM since the PS3 does not accept FLAC and my PC is too slow for HD playback. I also think FLAC is not supported in .m2ts containers. Is there another way I can test eac3to for you to determine if the problem is with Pcm2Tsmu or TsMuxeR? The thing I cannot understand is that it works fine with 2.57 with the same Pcm2Tsmu and TsMuxeR versions.

@Odin24

Thanks for your suggestions. I really would like to keep it as simple as possible (eac3to.exe file.m2ts audio.pcm). For now I will stick with eac3to version 2.57 until I do some more tests on 2.63.
Old 19th September 2008, 10:49   #6256  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Unfortunately I can only test PCM since the PS3 does not accept FLAC and my PC is too slow for HD playback. I also think FLAC is not supported in .m2ts containers. Is there another way I can test eac3to for you to determine if the problem is with Pcm2Tsmu or TsMuxeR? The thing I cannot understand is that it works fine with 2.57 with the same Pcm2Tsmu and TsMuxeR versions.
Ok, if it works fine with 2.57 then this looks like an eac3to bug. Can you upload a little sample of that m2ts file for me? 50MB would be great. Thanks!

BTW, I didn't suggest that you use FLAC for your movies. I only suggested that you should convert to FLAC as a *test*. Your PC may be to slow to playback HD video, but it will definitely not be too slow to play a FLAC audio track. So that's a valid test to check whether the FLAC audio track sounds ok, or whether it plays too fast, too, and with artifacts.
Old 19th September 2008, 10:51   #6257  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by odin24 View Post
Try using just eac3to, also use eac3to and more gui. Use the Remap to Blu ray 6 channel options as well, and output to .wav. tsMuxeR accepts it as PCM, unfortunately I have no way of testing due to reciever limitations. Please try this, I am curious to see if it works.
Decoding from TrueHD never need remap options.

Always is recommended decode to wav but, when the wav file is >4GB, tsMuxer don't work. The workaround is decode to lpcm and use Pcm2Tsmu v1.3 to insert the special headers required by tsMuxer.

If the parameters are correct, example:

Pcm2Tsmu input.pcm output_tsm.pcm -c 8 -i 16 -s 96000

(for a 8 channels, 16 bitdepth, samplerate 96 KHz) and tsMuxer accept the audio, can't be a Pcm2Tsmu problem.

@Duppie, if the flac file play properly like madshi say, please use the Pcm2Tsmu thread to post a sample and continue the discussion.
Old 19th September 2008, 11:07   #6258  |  Link
Duppie

@Madshi

Sorry, you are right. The audio can be tested alone with no powerfull PC. I will do some more tests over the weekend. If need to be, it is my first upload, where can I dump a sample if it is really a problem of eac3to?

@tebasuna51

Thanks for that. Will do, after some tests.
Old 19th September 2008, 11:41   #6259  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
where can I dump a sample?
sendspace, mediafire, repidshare etc. To cut a sample use a hex editor like HxD.
Old 19th September 2008, 12:06   #6260  |  Link
tebasuna51

Testing lpcm management I found a bug remapping 7 channel.

I convert a 331.wav to a 331.pcm and other time to a 331d.wav with this problem:
331.wav -> FL-FR-FC-LF-BL-BR-BC
331d.wav -> FL-FR-FC-BR-LF-BL-BC
Logs:
Code:
eac3to v2.63
command line: eac3to.exe 331.wav 331.pcm
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WAV, 6.1 channels, 0:00:20, 16 bits, 5376kbps, 48khz
Reading WAV...
Swapping endian...
Creating file "331.pcm"...
This audio track has a constant bit depth of 16 bits.
eac3to processing took 1 second.
Done.

eac3to v2.63
command line: eac3to.exe 331.pcm 331d.wav
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This might be a RAW/PCM file. Trying to figure out the details.
This will probably take a while. Please be patient...
The RAW/PCM file seems to have 7 channels.
The RAW/PCM file seems to be big endian.
The RAW/PCM file seems to have a bitdepth of 16 bits.
RAW/PCM, 6.1 channels, 0:00:20, 16 bits, 5376kbps, 48khz
This is probably a Blu-ray PCM track. Will remap channels accordingly.
Reading RAW/PCM...
Swapping endian...
Remapping channels...
Writing WAV...
Creating file "331d.wav"...
This audio track has a constant bit depth of 16 bits.
eac3to processing took 1 second.
Done.
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to