Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 19th March 2012, 17:20   #10001  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anima123 View Post
Does it indicate that it's GPU or driver related issue?
Its possible, but without reproducing such a problem its really hard to say.
Old 19th March 2012, 17:33   #10002  |  Link
fairchild

Hey, nev, not sure if you saw my post about some blu-ray discs not playing, I tried to use PotPlayer and it's internal splitter filter which loads up as HDMV Playlist Source and it sees the 2 audio streams but it contains no audio. (The girl who played with fire and the girl who kicked the hornets nest Blu-rays) So I guess it's a stubborn disc that is hard to split right or something. Cyberlink PowerDVD 11 works fine with the disc, but of course I prefer to run your filters + MadVR + reclock.
Old 19th March 2012, 18:08   #10003  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild View Post
Hey, nev, not sure if you saw my post about some blu-ray discs not playing, I tried to use PotPlayer and it's internal splitter filter which loads up as HDMV Playlist Source and it sees the 2 audio streams but it contains no audio. (The girl who played with fire and the girl who kicked the hornets nest Blu-rays) So I guess it's a stubborn disc that is hard to split right or something. Cyberlink PowerDVD 11 works fine with the disc, but of course I prefer to run your filters + MadVR + reclock.
You can try to cut a sample of the m2ts file (the larger the better). I have the german release of those discs (se/en/de audio), and those play fine.
Old 19th March 2012, 18:10   #10004  |  Link
The SphereX

LAV Video Decoder + VSFilter and interlaced video

Hi there!

I use ffdshow for displaying SRT subtitles and both for progressive and interlaced video the MPC-HC playback is fine. Unfortunately ffdshows VobSub implementation is still buggy (and may always be?) and at least for me not useable ("disappearing subs problem"). So I have to use DirectVobSub in this case. For progressive video there are no problems, but interlaced video is suddenly played back as if it wasn't deinterlaced correctly. Kind of a motion blur or film effect as with blend-deinterlacing.

So to sum things up:

> LAV Video Decoder (NVidia Cuvid) --> ffdshow (SRT subtitles) --> VMR7: perfect playback (motion flow)
> LAV Video Decoder (NVidia Cuvid) --> ffdshow (VobSub subtitles) --> VMR7: perfect playback, but disappearing subs
> LAV Video Decoder (NVidia Cuvid) --> vsfilter (VobSub subtitles) --> VMR7: proper subtitling, but with motion blurred video

In both scenarios the same interlaced video file was used, only the subtitle format was different. My workaround until now is to do a VobSub --> SRT conversion, so i can completely abandon vsfilter. But that's of course not a perfect solution and very time consuming, too. So what's wrong here?

Greetz,
The SphereX
The SphereX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 18:13   #10005  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Sounds like vsfilter is applying a very cheap deinterlacing itself.
Old 19th March 2012, 18:40   #10006  |  Link
magic144

@The_SphereX - is vsfilter altering the colour space in any way? - I'm wondering if you're relying on the graphics card doing the deinterlacing and requiring NV12, but the introduction of vsfilter is possibly changing things? I think I've seen that kind of thing before.
magic144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 18:41   #10007  |  Link
Superb

Quote:
Originally Posted by The SphereX View Post
Hi there!

I use ffdshow for displaying SRT subtitles and both for progressive and interlaced video the MPC-HC playback is fine. Unfortunately ffdshows VobSub implementation is still buggy (and may always be?) and at least for me not useable ("disappearing subs problem"). So I have to use DirectVobSub in this case. For progressive video there are no problems, but interlaced video is suddenly played back as if it wasn't deinterlaced correctly. Kind of a motion blur or film effect as with blend-deinterlacing.

So to sum things up:

> LAV Video Decoder (NVidia Cuvid) --> ffdshow (SRT subtitles) --> VMR7: perfect playback (motion flow)
> LAV Video Decoder (NVidia Cuvid) --> ffdshow (VobSub subtitles) --> VMR7: perfect playback, but disappearing subs
> LAV Video Decoder (NVidia Cuvid) --> vsfilter (VobSub subtitles) --> VMR7: proper subtitling, but with motion blurred video

In both scenarios the same interlaced video file was used, only the subtitle format was different. My workaround until now is to do a VobSub --> SRT conversion, so i can completely abandon vsfilter. But that's of course not a perfect solution and very time consuming, too. So what's wrong here?

Greetz,
The SphereX
Why don't you simply use MPC-HC's internal subtitle filter?
Also, did you try xy-VSFilter?
Superb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 18:55   #10008  |  Link
linzki

I had freezing problems too, but then i uncheked LAV video decoder > codecs for HW decoding > MPEG-4

That solved my freezing problem.
linzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 19:04   #10009  |  Link
mark0077

Hi guys, does anyone get blockyness during playback using the Microsoft DMO decoder. I'm using Windows 8 CP so perhaps the problem is specific to windows 8? Just curious to know if I'm the only one having issues or if theres a way around them as I'd love to use it.

I can't use the CUVID vc-1 decoder on my nvidia card because.. well its pretty much the same, ie corrupt / blocky playback during fast scenes. I'll use the non microsoft software decoder in lav for the time being.
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 19:11   #10010  |  Link
fairchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
You can try to cut a sample of the m2ts file (the larger the better). I have the german release of those discs (se/en/de audio), and those play fine.
What software do you recommend to do this? I'm willing to do it but a quick google search didn't net me any freeware programs that will cut a part from an m2ts file.
Old 19th March 2012, 19:26   #10011  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

DGSplit is a pretty simple binary spitter.
Old 19th March 2012, 19:28   #10012  |  Link
The SphereX

@magic144
I definitely must rely on, respectively use hardware deinterlacing, because I only got an NVidia ION system with Intel Atom CPU. But that's usually not a problem at all. It works great almost all the time, except in this particular situation with vsfilter. Actually NV12 color space should be used for hardware deinterlacing, but strangely the whole filter chain is done in YV12 according to GraphStudio. So that's what vsfilter uses, too. No altering done.

@Superb
I've never been able to use the MPC-HC internal subtitle filter, because generally it only works for me with VMR9, although MPC-HC states VMR7 (renderless) is suited, too. But unfortunately VMR9 doesn't produce watchable results with my system, and never has (stuttering playback, tearing ...). And "YES", I also tried xy-VSFilter, because of the NV12 color space, that was added. But as I mentioned earlier, YV12 is used instead. So sadly I got the same result with xy-VSFilter as with the original one .

Greetz,
The SphereX
The SphereX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 20:04   #10013  |  Link
fairchild

Quote:
DGSplit is a pretty simple binary spitter.
Ok that worked fine, I have a 50mb 45 second clip. Now the funny part is, the split file works just fine Lav Filters is properly splitting + decoding both the video and audio.

Will the split file still help you even though the issue is not occurring?

I just tested and if I open the actual .m2ts file in the BDMV\STREAM folder, then it properly splits the movie without a problem and has working audio. So I suppose the bug is somewhere when you try to open it through the media player's Blu-ray disc playlist method?
Old 19th March 2012, 20:30   #10014  |  Link
[ReX]

I can't play this video with DXVA enabled.

Switches between frames like this one (most of the time) and normal frames.
[ReX] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 20:31   #10015  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
I just tested and if I open the actual .m2ts file in the BDMV\STREAM folder, then it properly splits the movie without a problem and has working audio. So I suppose the bug is somewhere when you try to open it through the media player's Blu-ray disc playlist method?
Thats odd.
I guess it may be possible that the actual playlist prepends some short stream without audio that shows some kind of logos or stuff like that, and it picks up stream info from there.
Does playing via the .bdmv and via the m2ts give slightly different starts, or anything like that?
Old 19th March 2012, 20:44   #10016  |  Link
fairchild

Quote:
Thats odd.
I guess it may be possible that the actual playlist prepends some short stream without audio that shows some kind of logos or stuff like that, and it picks up stream info from there.
Does playing via the .bdmv and via the m2ts give slightly different starts, or anything like that?
Yes, through the 18.7GB .m2ts file, it starts slightly ahead and it's run time is 2h 26m 57s

while when playing through the index.bdmv it starts with a short intro and the Music Box logo and the run time is 2h 27m 11s

But this is definitely not a problem for me, as for this disc I will just open through the actual .m2ts file and presto I get the proper audio streams.
Old 19th March 2012, 20:46   #10017  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ReX] View Post
I can't play this video with DXVA enabled.
Thats a 16 ref frame file. It should work on most hardware, but its no guarantee, especially some ATI cards may still have issues with such files. Upgrading your drivers may help.

Plays fine here on NVIDIA.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 19th March 2012 at 20:52.
nevcairiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 21:01   #10018  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
But this is definitely not a problem for me, as for this disc I will just open through the actual .m2ts file and presto I get the proper audio streams.
I would still like to fix it, guess i'll order the disc. Its not the first time an issue like this came up, but at least its no question which disc exactly it is this time.
Old 19th March 2012, 21:39   #10019  |  Link
fairchild

Quote:
I would still like to fix it, guess i'll order the disc. Its not the first time an issue like this came up, but at least its no question which disc exactly it is this time.
Is there anything else I can do to be 100% certain before you go out and buy the disc, I'd hate for you to spend the money on a disc that you already have then it turns out it's something else.

I picked this one up and The Girl who Played with Fire on sale at blockbuster for $1.99-3.99 each, don't remember the price, I've bought so many (previously viewed not brand new).
Old 19th March 2012, 22:12   #10020  |  Link
[ReX]

Quote:
Thats a 16 ref frame file. It should work on most hardware, but its no guarantee, especially some ATI cards may still have issues with such files. Upgrading your drivers may help.

Plays fine here on NVIDIA.
It's an Intel GM45, so I guess I'm lucky that it can even play most DXVA content.
[ReX] is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter