Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 1st January 2008, 21:24   #1  |  Link
retroborg

Creating my own subs for avi & editing subs of ogm & mkv

Hello,
I have a selection of Japanese Anime & movies (Xvid, DivX & Mpeg2 encoding) primarily saved as *.avi file extension. I use Media Player Classic & Regular WinXp Media Player 11 to watch them.

I have the following 3 queries:

1. I would like to translate them my self and create my own subtitles from scratch in English as well as in Greek. I noticed that the soft subtitle file types supported by DirectVobSub, are *.srt & *.sub. Both have a different timing structure. What is the best tool to create my own software subs and the right timing so that the subs will be in sync with the voice speech of the Anime?

2. What is the best subs file type to save as, *.srt or *.sub? Or are they equal?

*.sub look like this:
{600}{850} text
{1932}{2030} text
{2032}{2115} text.
{2117}{2213} text

And *.srt look like this:
00:02:40,327 --> 00:02:51,421
text
00:03:01,014 --> 00:03:02,266
text
00:04:00,991 --> 00:04:04,995
text
00:04:13,378 --> 00:04:14,838
text

3. I Also have quite a few Japanese Anime in *.ogm & *.mkv file extensions that feature built-in soft subs in English which you can enable or disable using DirectVodSub.
What I would like to do is add another set of subs in Greek which I will translate & type my self. So, the Anime will feature both English & Greek built-in subs which I’ll be able to enable or disable via DirectVobSub.
Alternatively, I would like to edit the existing built-in subs of the ogm & mkv video files.
Again what would be the best tool for this tasks?

Thanks in advance.
retroborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 01:41   #2  |  Link
mahsah

Srt is more widely supported. Or you could use a .ass file made with Aegissub if you want to control font size and things like that.

For the softsubs, you can extract them with MKVextract and Put new subs in with mkvmerge.
mahsah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2008, 13:27   #3  |  Link
pereant

wich formats are compatible to dvd-players?
pereant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 07:28   #4  |  Link
retroborg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahsah View Post
Srt is more widely supported. Or you could use a .ass file made with Aegissub if you want to control font size and things like that.

For the softsubs, you can extract them with MKVextract and Put new subs in with mkvmerge.
What about the soft subs in *.ogg videos? What program do I use for those?

Thanks in advance.
retroborg is offline   Reply With Quote