Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 14th January 2008, 18:27   #1  |  Link
phatcorns

Question on NTSC DVD 23.976 pulldowned to 29.97

Ok, here's what I'm doing.

I have an NTSC DVD, the Japanese version of Advent Children. I rip the entire main movie to VOB using DVD Decrypter. So this creates a VOB that is technically 23.976 frames per second. But as I understand it, because of pull down, on the final DVD this would play back at 29.97 frames per second.

So, I convert this VOB of the main movie to an AVI that is 23.976 frames per second. Now, I put it into Aegisub and create my own subtitles for it. So now I am finished creating the subtitles, and I want to create a subtitle file that I can put into DVD Lab Pro to recreate the DVD with the new subtitles that I wrote myself.

So my question is, how do I get my subtitle file that was synced to the original 23.976 frames per second to sync up and play with the DVD that has pulldown to 29.97 frames per second?

Thank you very much for any help.

Last edited by phatcorns; 14th January 2008 at 18:51.
phatcorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 18:30   #2  |  Link

If the subtitles are specified by time, then it won't matter because pulldown does not affect the timing of the movie, i.e., it remains the same time duration.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 18:45   #3  |  Link
phatcorns

Oh, ok, thank you very much for your reply. I am compiling the dvd right now so hopefully it will work just fine.
Old 14th January 2008, 22:28   #4  |  Link
phatcorns

Ok, so it worked no problem, everything is staying in sync, but now I have a new question.

Why does the timing change so much. My subtitles come in perfectly when previewing them on my VOB with Vobsub, but when I actually author the subtitle stream and compile the dvd, the timings are all slightly different. Sometimes the subs come in a little too early, sometimes a little late, and sometimes they don't stay for quite as long as they should.

Is there some kind of rounding going on when the SRT is converted to a subtitle stream that a dvd can read?
Old 14th January 2008, 23:18   #5  |  Link
phatcorns

Nevermind, I think I'm just insane. Thanks for the help.