Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP

Old 30th June 2008, 21:53   #41  |  Link
Manao

Quote:
I can't think of anything in the gap between "hardware player supporting HD material at Level 4.1" and "little device I can hold in my hand" (PSP, iPod, etc).
Apple TV. And at least one of the STB (netgem) I regularly use at work (it caps around 20mbits in 1080i30).

However, I agree to say that the need for third party levels for AVC is a lot less dire than it was for ASP. Two years ago, it would have been another story, but now the processing power is there, so it's not necessary anymore.
Old 30th June 2008, 22:44   #42  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

The only problem I see with what you said Brother John is that other encoders aren't going to want to put "Certified to create DivX certified streams" in their products as that's free advertising and supporting the rule of law of the other company. Thereby creating a rift in the profiles as their companies adopt their own "standard profiles". It would be much better for them to just be able to say "Level 4.1 Compatible"
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 23:03   #43  |  Link
Inventive Software
Turkey Machine

Location: Lowestoft, UK (but visit lots of places with bribes [beer])
If we're talking DivX Certification here for a second, my thought would be that SD could be 4.1 or 4.2 High Profile compliant, and HD could be 5.1 High Profile compliant, thus keeping a wide spread of the H.264 standard's features. In practice, only the image size/frame rate and number of macroblocks and max bitrate changes between 4.1/4.2 and 5.1, the difference in bitrate and macroblock terms is 5.1 has 4x the macroblocks per second of 4.1, and 5.1 High has a max bitrate 6x bigger than 4.1.
Old 30th June 2008, 23:07   #44  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inventive Software View Post
If we're talking DivX Certification here for a second, my thought would be that SD could be 4.1 or 4.2 High Profile compliant, and HD could be 5.1 High Profile compliant, thus keeping a wide spread of the H.264 standard's features. In practice, only the image size/frame rate and number of macroblocks and max bitrate changes between 4.1/4.2 and 5.1, the difference in bitrate and macroblock terms is 5.1 has 4x the macroblocks per second of 4.1, and 5.1 High has a max bitrate 6x bigger than 4.1.
There's no way in hell you'll get anyone to support 5.1, primarily given the fact that for all intents and purposes (nearly) no hardware exists in the current world that even supports 5.1 completely.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 23:19   #45  |  Link
Ranguvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
There's no way in hell you'll get anyone to support 5.1, primarily given the fact that for all intents and purposes (nearly) no hardware exists in the current world that even supports 5.1 completely.
It would be better to ask for 4.1 compatibility, but also ask that the players attempt to play videos even if they have higher levels. Nothing annoys me more than patching a 5.1 video to 4.1, and then it works perfectly. It's like, "Why didn't you just give it a shot at playing instead of running in fear from the big 5 1?"
Ranguvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 23:33   #46  |  Link
Inventive Software
Turkey Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranguvar View Post
It would be better to ask for 4.1 compatibility, but also ask that the players attempt to play videos even if they have higher levels. Nothing annoys me more than patching a 5.1 video to 4.1, and then it works perfectly. It's like, "Why didn't you just give it a shot at playing instead of running in fear from the big 5 1?"
Your solution sounds the easiest, but I'm also surprised players don't do this.
Old 30th June 2008, 23:41   #47  |  Link
DigitAl56K

The CE world is not as clear cut as you might imagine when it comes to H.264. There are many STBs that do not fully support High 4.1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoCross View Post
The only problem I see with what you said Brother John is that other encoders aren't going to want to put "Certified to create DivX certified streams" in their products
Why not? I could understand companies that compete for CE support taking some issue with it. Today I can count these companies on one hand with fingers to spare. Some of them don't even use H.264. I don't think any use the same container.

Which encoders are we talking about?
DigitAl56K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 23:53   #48  |  Link
Brother John
(schein)heilig

As far as player manufacturers are concerned I guess most won’t have a problem with DivX certification. But for example Nero might not be too keen to let their encoder produce »DivX certified« video. ChronoCross is right, that would be free advertising for the competition. But an industry wide joint certification program might be too much to hope for.

When lost in BeSweet's options, have a look at the Commandline Reference.
DVD nach MPEG-4 klappt nicht? Verzweifelt? Auf zum Encodingwissen!

Last edited by Brother John; 1st July 2008 at 02:26. Reason: spelling
Brother John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2008, 00:15   #49  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitAl56K View Post
The CE world is not as clear cut as you might imagine when it comes to H.264. There are many STBs that do not fully support High 4.1.

Why not? I could understand companies that compete for CE support taking some issue with it. Today I can count these companies on one hand with fingers to spare. Some of them don't even use H.264. I don't think any use the same container.

Which encoders are we talking about?
I was talking exactly about those people. With all the infighting between CE devices causes tons of problems in the certified world. So why not use something that is already defined like Levels...

If AVC really wants to take off and have a decent market a universal non company specific standard must be used between encoders.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2008, 01:21   #50  |  Link
DigitAl56K

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoCross View Post
I was talking exactly about those people.
And you miss my point: This covers hardly any companies. In fact, are there any beside Nero (who output .MP4 files and have their own "Nero Digital" standard anyway)?

Quote:
If AVC really wants to take off and have a decent market a universal non company specific standard must be used between encoders.
AVC in and of itself is not a media format. If "AVC" really wants to take off and have a decent market there needs to be a company to work with all of the manufacturers to promote a common standard. Look at DivX ASP format. We had this exact same discussion when DivX 5 was released.
Old 1st July 2008, 17:46   #51  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

@Digital56K: is DNX considering to make also a divx CLI encoder?

Last edited by Sharktooth; 1st August 2008 at 14:16.
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2008, 20:55   #52  |  Link
bond

which advanced audio formats will the new divx avc certifications include? aac? vorbis? wma pro?

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2008, 23:17   #53  |  Link
Inventive Software
Turkey Machine

I'd ask if it's possible for Vorbis and AAC to get the look in on DivX Certified audio. Vorbis is not as common on standalones, and the Tremor fixed point decoder's been around for a long while. AAC could probably be the ideal multi-channel format, Vorbis the 2 channel format (although AAC is no slouch in this regard, there are different flavours that take different decoding requirements and more are being developed for different markets. Vorbis has not changed much), but they both have their own strengths and weaknesses.
Old 2nd July 2008, 03:21   #54  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

vorbis... mkv... dunno. i'd prefer a more "standard" compliant output.
mp4 is the natural container for AVC/AAC. why not use that combo?
MKV and vorbis are 2 outstanding techs and would be great to have them as a second choice though. however IMHO AVC/AAC in MP4 is the way to go.
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2008, 03:34   #55  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharktooth View Post
vorbis... mkv... dunno. i'd prefer a more "standard" compliant output.
mp4 is the natural container for AVC/AAC. why not use that combo?
MKV and vorbis are 2 outstanding techs and would be great to have them as a second choice though. however IMHO AVC/AAC in MP4 is the way to go.
Probably because if they use MP4 they lose a potential way to distinguish themselves from the competition
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2008, 06:04   #56  |  Link
GodofaGap

Or it could just possibly be that they wanted support for AC3 and perhaps some other non-native mp4 formats.
GodofaGap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2008, 08:14   #57  |  Link
BetaBoy
CoreCodec Founder

... or any of a dozen+ other formats. IMHO (and without me going into details) using Matroska allows DivX a greater range of flexability without having to confirm to limited container possibilities. DivX has always been about pushing new ideas/concepts/projects (even though they have been quite this past year), this is no different.

http://corecodec.com
BetaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2008, 09:13   #58  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Given that every digital surround sound amplifier offers onboard multi-channel AC3 decoding (and not AAC), AC3 is a must for any container.

Much as I like multi-channel AAC-LC and HE audio, I am happy that the MPEG-4 spec is at last being amended to officially accommodate AC3 (and EAC3) audio streams.
Old 16th July 2008, 21:01   #59  |  Link
Daiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitAl56K View Post
DivX 7 will use the MKV container format! That's right, you heard it here first: our new format does not use AVI! Those of you now planning a street party do remember to send me an invitation
Very seriously awesome news.

Now how about ASS for subtitles ?
Daiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2008, 23:59   #60  |  Link
DigitAl56K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daiz View Post
Now how about ASS for subtitles ?
Thanks for the offer but that's really not necessary, you can watch subtitles for free O.O

Last edited by DigitAl56K; 17th July 2008 at 00:01.