Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14th June 2002, 19:16   #1  |  Link
SiliconSoul

RE: My new personal recomendations for DVD2SVCD DVD conversions

it takes about 12 hours for the encoding part with these settings and 6 pass VBR. would i be better off just doing a 6 pass vbr or lower passes with these settings?

i have an athlon Xp 1700 and normal with default settings and changing the bitrate only i get about 1.2 in cce with the settings recommeneded here i get about .76

so what do u recommend?

here is what u said last time... but that thread is locked now! :-)

Quote:
My new personal recomendations for DVD2SVCD DVD conversions
I have seen many threads asking "what is the best setting to use?". Well it really isn't a simple answer. Everyone has their own opinions on what is good and what is acceptable. I tend to favor a higher quality image over speed or size. Not long ago I listed my personal settings and this became a wonderful thread that ended up resolving an issue with Avisynth. I have since done further testing and tweaking of my personal settings. So keep the following in mind when reading them.

1. DVD to SVCD only. (Not for AVI's or VCD's)
2. I often use 90 or 99 minute discs to be able to push the bitrate higher.
3. These settings are not official and are not endorsed by DVD2SVCD.

---Audio---
48 not downsampled.
224 or 192 only. I will not go lower.

---Video---CCE 4 Pass VBR---
Avg bitrate never below 2000. I adjust the number of discs or disc size to make sure it is always above 2000.
Sharpen filter on all DVD material at a setting between .3 and .6 mostly at .4
Image Quality Priority at between 22 and 24
CCE Anti-Noise filter at 12.
For personal reasons I increase the contrast and brightness using Donald Graft's Tweak filter. I have yet to fully test the DVD2AVI built in luminace settings that may make the Tweak filter unecessary.

The biggest change is the Image Quality Priority setting. I find that a higher setting then the default 17 reduces the amount of noise around the edge of foreground objects to a great degree. I was always wondering why to my eye I thought TMPG was better in this regard until I remembered a post by Kedirekin that he said he always uses a higher setting. I meant to do some tests at that time, but got distracted and forgot about it. I have to give him the credit for the settings I tried and liked.
As soon as I am able I will make an FTP server and create 2 short mpg images one at the default 17 and one at 22 and you can see for yourself. If you would rather simply do a short chapter test yourself and watch it on the PC in fullscreen mode.

All the other settings I leave at default.

A quick note on AVI's. I do not do many and my tests are limited at best, but I have seen no difference when using sharpen on an AVI source. I would not bother using it unless it is a high bitrate AVI. Most downloaded AVI's are not high enough quality to have it matter, even up to 800mb multiple files. On multi gigabyte captures I bet the results would be better.

For information on the Image Quality Priority setting, what it is and what it does, download the CCE manual from the CCE homepage. It is a pdf on 2.64, but most all the information applies to 2.50 and 2.62 as well. If you want to know more about what CCE does I highly recommend it.

Mark

We're learning on a daily basis here.. please give us time to learn our lessons as we try to give you time to learn yours.

Last edited by markrb on 24th May 2002 at 13:52
SiliconSoul is offline   Reply With Quote