Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 3rd November 2012, 16:24   #15301  |  Link
mindz

SamuriHL, care sharing your script with me? Would be great! My email is rogercomley@gmail.com.
mindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2012, 16:25   #15302  |  Link
SamuriHL

My script is very specific to my machines. I hardcode my paths into the installer and my scripts that install do so from very specific locations on my network. So they wouldn't help anyone else which is why I don't bother releasing them.
Old 3rd November 2012, 16:27   #15303  |  Link
iSunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
madVR v0.84.6 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* fixed: encrypted DVDs didn't play
* fixed: DVD menu "clickable areas" were not always located correctly
* fixed: DVD menu buttons near the FSE seekbar didn't work
* fixed: some minor cosmetical improvements to DVD menu rendering
* fixed: seeking DVDs in fullscreen exclusive mode didn't flush the decoder
* fixed: frame stepping should now work perfectly
* fixed: MPC-HC froze when creating thumbnails
* fixed: MPC-HC froze when seeking DVDs in Windows XP
* fixed: scaling settings were not always remembered after "restore default"
* 50i and 50p SD sources are now auto detected as having PAL/EBU primaries
Playback of encrypted DVDs should now work without having to decypt them first !!! Please test this, especially on win7 and win8 and let me know if it works for you.

I've had to change some aspect ratio and video size related information behaviour in madVR to make the DVD Navigator work better. I hope there are no negative side effects. But it's possible some smaller follow-up bugs could show up. Let me know if you find anything...
Thanks a lot for the new build, madshi.

I have one DVD where the DVD menu is not working correctly. The main menu is working perfectly fine, however, If I go into the languages selection I cannot select various options with the mouse (the mouse cursor acts like the option isnīt there) and they are also not highlighted. It works fine with the keyboard up/left/down/right keys, though.

What do you need from me to fix it? I can upload the DVD menu if you want, I already have it RARed on my HDD.

Last edited by iSunrise; 3rd November 2012 at 16:31.
iSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2012, 16:34   #15304  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasRobidoux View Post
Mathias:
I may have made this suggestion before, but given how well AR succeeds at suppressing halos, I suggest that you give another shot at resampling through linear light.
This will avoid the "thinning of light on dark features" that using perceptual spaces introduce. For example, this would have a large impact on the "robot" test image (a.k.a. "6233638's very clean computer type image").
TTBOMK, linear light is pretty much the only safe way to handle pathological cases (e.g. digital half-toning).
Well, madVR already has an option to use linear light scaling with or without AR, so there's nothing I need to do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
The deinterlacing toggle seems disabled on all 4:2:0 interlaced video and results in a bogus error message:
"Deinterlacing is only supported for YCbCr 4:2:0 sources"
Ouch, will be fixed in the next build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
Don't NVIDIA/AMD GPUs support 4:2:2 deinterlacing as well?
Yes, but with lower deinterlacing quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSunrise View Post
I have one DVD where the DVD menu is not working correctly. The main menu is working perfectly fine, however, If I go into the languages selection I cannot select various options with the mouse (the mouse cursor acts like the option isnīt there) and they are also not highlighted. It works fine with the keyboard up/left/down/right keys, though.

What do you need from me to fix it? I can upload the DVD menu if you want, I already have it RARed on my HDD.
Please first check if the same DVD plays fine with VMR9 (not EVR). If it plays fine with VMR9, then please upload the DVD. Otherwise it might be a bug in LAV Video Decoder (are you using the latest LAV DVD test build?). Please double check with a different decoder with VMR9 then, to make sure.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2012, 16:44   #15305  |  Link
iSunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi
Please first check if the same DVD plays fine with VMR9 (not EVR). If it plays fine with VMR9, then please upload the DVD. Otherwise it might be a bug in LAV Video Decoder (are you using the latest LAV DVD test build?). Please double check with a different decoder with VMR9 then, to make sure.
OK, it seems the DVD is at fault here. Just double checked with VMR9. For some strange reason you cannot choose languages and subtitles in the languages selection directly. The mouse only works if you select another option on top or beside it and only then you can select the option you want. Usability at itīs best. Sorry for your time.

Last edited by iSunrise; 3rd November 2012 at 16:46.
iSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2012, 17:11   #15306  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Yes, but with lower deinterlacing quality.
So as far as madVR is concerned, what does that mean for native 4:2:2 video which is interlaced?
Will such video continue to be de-interlaced by madVR in the next build?
Does the '4:2:0 only' error mean that madVR will/does sub-sample 4:2:2/4:4:4 chroma to 4:2:0 before passing it off to deinterlacing?
What are the options for real-time playback 4:2:2 MPEG-2 & H.264 deinterlacing of better quality than DXVA2?
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2012, 18:06   #15307  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR downconverts 4:2:2 video to 4:2:0, so DXVA deinterlacing is performed with highest quality. The "4:2:0 complaint" is a bug, as I said, it will be fixed in the next build. Simply ignore it. IMHO deinterlacing of 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 content is extremely unimportant because it's very rare. As a result I'm not interested in getting headaches about it right now. There are still many far more important things to do.
Old 3rd November 2012, 20:50   #15308  |  Link
dansrfe

I can't turn off deinterlacing via Ctrl+Alt+Shift+D anymore with DVDs because I get the warning: deinterlacing is only supported for YCbCr 4:2:0 sources.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2012, 22:06   #15309  |  Link
LexSfX

Quote:
Code:
madVR v0.84.6

* fixed: frame stepping should now work perfectly
Quote:
Originally Posted by #mpc-hc-dev on freenode
16:23:52 <LexSfX> Underground78: frame stepping doesn't work perfectly still, even with the latest madvr
16:23:53 <LexSfX> hmmm
16:24:11 <Underground78> ah?
16:24:22 <LexSfX> it still has the issue i reported, where if you frame step a while forward, then once back, it goes all the way back
16:24:46 <Underground78> strange I had the impression it didn't do that anymore
16:24:53 <LexSfX> or, well
16:24:57 <LexSfX> it does it only sometimes
16:25:06 <LexSfX> try holding ctrl+right
16:25:10 <LexSfX> for like 2 seconds
16:25:18 <LexSfX> then without releasing ctrl, press left
16:25:46 <LexSfX> goes all the way back to the beginning of the seek with one left
16:27:35 <Underground78> it seems I can't reproduce
16:27:46 <Underground78> are you sure it's specific to madVR?
16:30:45 <Underground78> ah stupid me -_-
16:30:52 <Underground78> just thought about something
16:31:23 <Underground78> if I don't select madVR of course reproducing might be more difficult...
16:37:10 <Underground78> yeah you're right :(
16:37:17 <Underground78> I will have a look again later
So, it doesn't seem completely fixed for me. I'm not sure. I'm posting this here so you see it, madshi.
LexSfX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2012, 22:07   #15310  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

@dansrfe: Read this post http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...81#post1598981
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2012, 22:17   #15311  |  Link
aufkrawall

Oh yeah, DVD support with madVR & LAV.
Simply great, thanks.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2012, 22:45   #15312  |  Link
Peuj

Quote:
I will not move scaling algorithms to to the device tab. They don't really belong there. But there will be a different way to achieve comparable functionality in a future version. It will not come very soon, though.
OK thanks.
Peuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2012, 09:41   #15313  |  Link
THEAST

Quick question: Right now I'm using MPC-HC+ffdshow+madVR+Directvobsub and I'm upscaling the video using ffdshow (to desktop resolution) so that subs wouldn't look like crap on low resolution videos but because of this, I can't benefit from madVR's HQ scaling algorithm since the video is already upscaled by ffdshow. Are there any other alternatives in which case I can get HQ subs without having to do the upscaling using ffdshow and instead use madVR for that? Using MPC-HC's internal subtitle renderer is out of the question because it fails to render even not-so-advanced typesetting properly (yes, I know MPC-HC uses the same code as Directvobsub but they most certainly draw subs differently).
THEAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2012, 09:47   #15314  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexSfX View Post
So, it doesn't seem completely fixed for me. I'm not sure. I'm posting this here so you see it, madshi.
Ok, will look at it, but to be honest, the remaining problem is very small compared to the original problems...

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEAST View Post
Quick question: Right now I'm using MPC-HC+ffdshow+madVR+Directvobsub and I'm upscaling the video using ffdshow (to desktop resolution) so that subs wouldn't look like crap on low resolution videos but because of this, I can't benefit from madVR's HQ scaling algorithm since the video is already upscaled by ffdshow. Are there any other alternatives in which case I can get HQ subs without having to do the upscaling using ffdshow and instead use madVR for that? Using MPC-HC's internal subtitle renderer is out of the question because it fails to render even not-so-advanced typesetting properly (yes, I know MPC-HC uses the same code as Directvobsub but they most certainly draw subs differently).
The latest madVR build supports a new subtitle interface which has several benefits, one of them is that it should allow to render subtitles correctly in final movie output resolution while still allowing madVR to do the video scaling. Unfortunately there's no subtitle renderer available yet which makes use of the new interface. xy-vsfilter is supposed to support this interface sooner or later, but the xy-vsfilter developer is taking a break, so it could take some time (maybe a loooong time) for this to happen.
Old 4th November 2012, 10:05   #15315  |  Link
nx6
Playing with MKV files...

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEAST View Post
Using MPC-HC's internal subtitle renderer is out of the question because it fails to render even not-so-advanced typesetting properly (yes, I know MPC-HC uses the same code as Directvobsub but they most certainly draw subs differently).
What is this "advanced typesetting" that the MPC-HC renderer cannot handle properly? A year or so ago it couldn't handle alpha-blending but that has been resolved for awhile.

If you haven't tried the renderer on the current-release MPC-HC I suggest you give it a shot. I personally would very much like the know the filename/see the subtitle script of a file that does not render its subs correctly.
Old 4th November 2012, 10:30   #15316  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.84.7 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* fixed: another bug with frame stepping
* fixed: keyboard shortcut for toggling deinterlacing showed error message
Old 4th November 2012, 11:26   #15317  |  Link
LexSfX

Quote:
Originally Posted by #mpc-hc-dev
05:18:41 <Underground78> LexSfX: new version of madVR out
05:18:46 <Underground78> now it seems to really fix it
05:18:47 <LexSfX> got it already
05:18:49 <LexSfX> and tested it
05:18:49 <Underground78> ok
05:18:57 <LexSfX> still slightly broken
05:19:16 <Underground78> are you alexfolland on SF?
05:19:19 <LexSfX> the easiest way to reproduce it is to hold ctrl and alternate left and right quickly
05:19:19 <LexSfX> yes
05:19:24 <Underground78> oh ok
05:19:39 <LexSfX> you'll see the video proceed forward
05:19:45 <LexSfX> even though that should definitely not happen
05:20:03 <Underground78> can't reproduce
05:20:17 <Underground78> so either it's related to the video or the computer
05:20:21 <LexSfX> try on a laggier (bigger, more cpu-intensive, i guess?) video
05:20:24 <Underground78> or maybe I'm not fast enought
05:21:44 <LexSfX> anyway
05:21:46 <Underground78> indeed
05:21:50 <LexSfX> it's not nearly as much a problem
05:21:53 <LexSfX> as it was before
05:21:55 <LexSfX> it's way way better now
05:22:30 <Underground78> yeah I'm not sure we can do something better
05:22:33 <LexSfX> so thank you very much for looking into it, as frame-stepping to see exact art in animation is something i do often while casually watching stuff
05:22:53 <LexSfX> this is very very helpful for me personally, anyway
05:23:12 <LexSfX> i can't express my appreciation for what you and madshi have done enough :)
05:23:27 <Underground78> well mostly madshi ^^
05:23:32 <LexSfX> yes, mostly madshi
05:23:47 <LexSfX> but you had to care too, which takes a certain something
05:23:57 <LexSfX> idk! anyway, off to watch anime ;)
So, thank you, madshi! Also, I'm AlexFolland on SourceForge. I agree with Underground78's statement that there's probably nothing better that can be done and I am satisfied with the current state of frame-stepping with madvr in mpc-hc.
LexSfX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2012, 11:27   #15318  |  Link
nlnl

madshi
Thank you very much for DVD playback! No need to convert DVDs to .mkv now!

Please have a look.
I start playback then seek, then switch 23->59 (Film -> Video) and audio starts stuttering, and madvr drops frames.
It happens only when audio is Dts-HD MA.

The log:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/43376972/madVR%20-%20log%204-11-12.zip

Thaks!
nlnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2012, 11:37   #15319  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexSfX View Post
So, thank you, madshi! Also, I'm AlexFolland on SourceForge. I agree with Underground78's statement that there's probably nothing better that can be done and I am satisfied with the current state of frame-stepping with madvr in mpc-hc.
Glad to hear it's working ok now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlnl View Post
I start playback then seek, then switch 23->59 (Film -> Video) and audio starts stuttering, and madvr drops frames.
It happens only when audio is Dts-HD MA.
According to the log the rendering queue never fills again (stays at max 2/8) after the switch to 59. Are you sure your GPU is fast enough for 59 playback?
Old 4th November 2012, 11:56   #15320  |  Link
nlnl

Quote:
According to the log the rendering queue never fills again (stays at max 2/8) after the switch to 59. Are you sure your GPU is fast enough for 59 playback?
I guess, ATI 5750 is fast for that playback.
nlnl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling