Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23rd August 2011, 03:07   #1  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

madVR - 60fps Playback issues

So for the longest time I have not been able to play 60fps mkv's. And there have been a few posts in the madVR thread by others that seem to have similar problems. I have worked for months to get this working and I am happy to report that I have finally found the issue, and wanted to start this thread to inform others of a potential solution.

The problems I have had are massive dropped frames, whether in Exclusive or Windowed mode. No matter what settings I used there would be massive dropped frames (although Exclusive did help, it was still un-watchable). My setup is this:

I had basically given up trying to get this to work, but the other day I decided to go back though the imouto settings, updating all the filters and updating ALL my Catalyst drivers (I had been using 11.6... SB, RAID, OCL and AVIVO). I also reset my AMD VISION Engine Control Center to factory defaults and and re-applied my hardware specific settings.

Well low and behold my un-watchable 720p60 file is now playing perfect in exclusive mode (still massive dropped frames in Windowed mode). That was yesterday, today I spent the day going back through ALL the changes I made (testing in between each change) and found that the culprit was the Catalyst OCL video drivers. Once I updated those to 11.8 all was good! And I think (not 100% sure) the 11.8 AVIVO drivers also helped.

So for anyone else having this issue with an AMD graphics setup like mine, I highly suggest you get the latest Catalyst suite (11.8) and AVIVO.

@madshi:

Your work is awesome, and I do apologize for not completely answering your questions in the past, but I really wanted to narrow down things for you and make things a little easier. I still have one odd thing that you may be interested in. It is illustrated in this screen shot, which I have highlighted:

As you can see it is a 59.940fps clip and I am wondering why the Present Queue is only going as high as 7 (very rarely going to 8) when it is set to 16. ALL other movies, files and clips I have go to 16, but this 60fps content only goes to 7. This was one of the main reasons why the bad drivers were dropping massive amounts of frames, the queue is very small and any delay/glitch quickly empties it.

Do you have any thoughts?

Here is the sample I had posted in the main thread if you need it again:

720p60 Sample MKV

I hope this helps others, I did not want this lost in the main trhead.

QB

Tags
60fps, amd, dropped frames, madvr, potplayer