Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 23rd March 2019, 18:24   #8781  |  Link
Groucho2004
►◄

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3V1991 View Post
Yes german Windows
Well, it seems that megui takes the format of the decimal point from the regional settings for some reason. I hope a developer can clear this up.
Old 2nd April 2019, 07:59   #8782  |  Link
jlw_4049

Does MeGUI support 4k HDR encoding through a 10 bit pipeline?

If so how do I use this? Can I not index etc?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
jlw_4049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2019, 11:38   #8783  |  Link
sneaker_ger

MeGUI supports 10 bit pipeline with AviSynth+. In the extended options you have to disable "Restrict input filter to 8 bit" and use a suitable input filter (like ffms2). But you have to set any HDR flags (colormatrix, master display info etc.) manually in the encoder/muxing settings.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2019, 15:40   #8784  |  Link
jlw_4049

Thanks for the info!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by jlw_4049; 2nd April 2019 at 16:21.
jlw_4049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2019, 19:24   #8785  |  Link
Xor

I use Megui last version 2896-X64 on Server with WinServer 2019 X64, cpu is Intel Xeon E5-1650 [6 Core]

to use all six cores, I have to install external "AviSynth v.2.5.8 MT 64-bit" ???

How can check/verify if Megui uses all six cores??

Thanks
Xor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2019, 19:33   #8786  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Not SEt's AviSynth MT, rather pinterf's AviSynth+ MT (and I would be surprised if MeGUI does not update this once in a while).

It doesn't matter how many cores MeGUI uses, because MeGUI is only a user interface to build the AviSynth script. AviSynth+ has to use all cores when it executes the script. For AviSynth+, this requires a Prefetch(number_of_cores) call at the end of the script. You may have to add it manually. And there will not be a guarantee for 100% CPU utilization ever. Also note that the encoder will need some CPU time too, and often more than the AviSynth filter chain.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2019, 22:15   #8787  |  Link
LouieChuckyMerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
Not SEt's AviSynth MT, rather pinterf's AviSynth+ MT (and I would be surprised if MeGUI does not update this once in a while).
Happy Saturday! . When I set up my i7 (4 core) system to encode video some years ago--thanks again to everyone who helped--I eventually ended up with the following as my standard template for 1080p sources (adjusting the TR and ThSAD for each source):

Code:
SetMemoryMax(2048)
SetMTMode(3,7)
LSMASH SOURCE INFORMATION HERE
SetMTMode(2)
SMDegrain(TR=X,ThSAD=XXX,RefineMotion=True,Plane=0,Chroma=False,Lsb=True,Lsb_Out=True)
F=DitherPost(Mode=-1)
S=F.FastLineDarkenMod()
D=MT_MakeDiff(S,F).Dither_Convert_8_To_16()
Dither_Add16(Last,D,Dif=True,U=2,V=2)
GradFun3(Radius=16,Lsb_In=True,Lsb=True)
### Preview Source OR Send 16-bit Output To x264 10-bit ###
# DitherPost()
Dither_Out()
This seems to utilize as close to 100% CPU as possible without crashing or glitches--Special Thanks to Groucho's AVSMeter --and I'm quite pleased with the results when viewed. The above quote has me wondering, however: would I see any gain in encoding speed if I switched from SEt's AviSynth MT to pinterf's AviSynth+ MT?
LouieChuckyMerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2019, 22:29   #8788  |  Link
Groucho2004
►◄

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieChuckyMerry View Post
The above quote has me wondering, however: would I see any gain in encoding speed if I switched from SEt's AviSynth MT to pinterf's AviSynth+ MT?
Probably. First, you can use a 64 bit processing chain throughout which eliminates any memory restrictions (given that you do have enough memory installed). If you can't use 64 bit (if for example one of your filters is not available in 64 bit or you don't have a 64 bit OS), AVS+ is still the better option because it uses much less memory than SEt's MT in most cases, is more stable and many internal functions are much faster.

Apart from the multi-threading syntax (see here) and some new functions, AVS+ usage is pretty much the same as classic Avisynth.

So, pretty much a no-brainer.

Last edited by Groucho2004; 6th April 2019 at 22:32.
Groucho2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2019, 23:44   #8789  |  Link
LouieChuckyMerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho2004 View Post
Probably. First, you can use a 64 bit processing chain throughout which eliminates any memory restrictions (given that you do have enough memory installed).
I've 16GB RAM installed, although I think some is dedicated to the graphics card.

Quote:
If you can't use 64 bit (if for example one of your filters is not available in 64 bit or you don't have a 64 bit OS), AVS+ is still the better option because it uses much less memory than SEt's MT in most cases, is more stable and many internal functions are much faster.
My OS is 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium. Is there somewhere you'd recommend to gather 64 bit filters?

Quote:
Apart from the multi-threading syntax (see here) and some new functions, AVS+ usage is pretty much the same as classic Avisynth.
Thanks. I worry about checking out pinterf's AviSynth+ MT such that I botch something then can't return to my original set up. Any suggestions?

Quote:
So, pretty much a no-brainer.
Ho ho ho, you slay me .

EDIT: The Universal Avisynth Installer would probably be a very useful tool.

Last edited by LouieChuckyMerry; 7th April 2019 at 00:06. Reason: Time
Old 6th April 2019, 23:49   #8790  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Please read: AviSynth Wiki: AviSynth+; it has a chapter about already available 64 bit plugins, too (more might be ported, sometimes, some day).

New German Gleitz board
Old 7th April 2019, 00:02   #8791  |  Link
LouieChuckyMerry

Quote:
Please read: AviSynth Wiki: AviSynth+; it has a chapter about already available 64 bit plugins, too (more might be ported, sometimes, some day).
Thanks, LigH. Ahhh, maybe you'd know. Since I'm currently using SEt's MT AviSynth the box in my "MeGUI/Settings/Always use the included AviSynth" is unticked. If I were to tick this would I then be able to test pinterf's AviSynth+ MT but still be able to revert to SEt's by simply unticking it?
Old 7th April 2019, 00:05   #8792  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Yes, if you check this box, MeGUI will use its own local copy of AviSynth+, and you can keep the AviSynth version installed in your Windows system for other applications. But then you can also use only the AviSynth plugins shipped with MeGUI, or the ones you load explicitly. But the plugins installed in your legacy AviSynth plugin directory will not be loaded automatically for MeGUI.

New German Gleitz board
Old 7th April 2019, 00:32   #8793  |  Link
Groucho2004
►◄

Quote:
EDIT: The Universal Avisynth Installer would probably be a very useful tool.
Indeed.

Last edited by Groucho2004; 7th April 2019 at 00:36.
Groucho2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2019, 01:27   #8794  |  Link
LouieChuckyMerry

Quote:
Yes, if you check this box, MeGUI will use its own local copy of AviSynth+, and you can keep the AviSynth version installed in your Windows system for other applications. But then you can also use only the AviSynth plugins shipped with MeGUI, or the ones you load explicitly. But the plugins installed in your legacy AviSynth plugin directory will not be loaded automatically for MeGUI.
Quote:
Indeed.

I thank you both for your kind help .
Old 7th April 2019, 23:39   #8795  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
The portable Avisynth+ does the same registry checking for auto-loading folders as it would if it was "installed", so you can switch between the installed version and MeGUI's portable Avisynth+, and plugins in the "installed" Avisynth/plugins folder will autoload either way.

Assuming they're both 32 bit anyway. I saw some mention of 64 bit plugins earlier, so maybe I've misunderstood what you're referring to. If so, sorry....
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2019, 14:54   #8796  |  Link
LouieChuckyMerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
The portable Avisynth+ does the same registry checking for auto-loading folders as it would if it was "installed", so you can switch between the installed version and MeGUI's portable Avisynth+, and plugins in the "installed" Avisynth/plugins folder will autoload either way.
Thanks for the information; I can confirm it's true.
Old 10th April 2019, 17:55   #8797  |  Link
LouieChuckyMerry

I finally successfully upgraded from MeGUI Version 2855 (I think the last version to use avs4x26x.exe?) with SEt's MT AviSynth installed to the latest development server version because I wanted to check out pinterf's AviSynth+. My typical script was:

Code:
SetMemoryMax(2048)
SetMTMode(3,7)
SetMTMode(2)
SMDegrain(TR=X,ThSAD=XXX,RefineMotion=True,Plane=0,Chroma=False,Lsb=True,Lsb_Out=True)
F=DitherPost(Mode=-1)
S=F.FastLineDarkenMod()
### Preview Source OR Send 16-bit Output To x264 10-bit ###
# DitherPost()
Dither_Out()
and now is:

Code:
SetMemoryMax(2048)
SetFilterMTMode("Default_MT_Mode",2)
F=DitherPost(Mode=-1)
S=F.FastLineDarkenMod()
DitherPost()
Prefetch(8)
outputting 10-bit video.

I've a few questions:

1) With my old setup I had to end my scripts with "DitherPost()" to preview the video properly but "Dither_Out()" to encode the video properly; however, with the new setup using "DitherPost()" works to preview the video and to encode the video (this took a bit of trial-and-error to figure out). I'm curious why. Is it a change in syntax or some such?

2) After some testing, it seems the pinterf AviSynth+ setup is ~15% faster than the old SEt MT setup. Nice! However, before the change the SEt MT setup was utilizing very close to 100% of the CPU, whereas now the updated MeGUI using SEt's MT AviSynth is ~25% slower than the old SEt MT setup and only utilizes ~50% of the CPU. Does anyone think that tweaking the SEt's MT AviSynth settings on the new setup might result in faster encoding than pinterf's AviSynth+ on the new setup?

3) Is there a trick to loading YADIFMod2? I can use my old YADIF.dll (Version 1.7.0.0) without issue, but if I replace it with the updated YADIFMod2.dll I receive the message "Script error: There is no function named 'Yadif.'"

Thanks for any answers .
Old 10th April 2019, 21:38   #8798  |  Link
K3V1991

Quote:
Well, it seems that megui takes the format of the decimal point from the regional settings for some reason. I hope a developer can clear this up.
I changed my "Language" to "English (US)" on Windows and now all works great.

K3V1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2019, 11:10   #8799  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
3) Is there a trick to loading YADIFMod2? I can use my old YADIF.dll (Version 1.7.0.0) without issue, but if I replace it with the updated YADIFMod2.dll I receive the message "Script error: There is no function named 'Yadif.'"
Yadif()
Yadifmod()
Yadifmod2()

On the plus side, you can put all three in the plugins folder and they'll co-exist.

If you want to just swap them, but still use Yadif() in scripts, you could create a wrapper function to load YadifMod2() and put it in the auto-loading folder. I think they only have three arguments in common, but this should work.

function yadif(clip c, int "mode", int "order", int "opt") {
return c.yadifmod2(int "mode", int "order", int "opt") }

Thinking about it, classic Avisynth won't auto-load C plugins, and Yadif be one.
You could also rectify that by putting an avsi script in the auto-loading plugins folder. Something like

Yadif = "C:\Program Files\AviSynth\C Plugins\yadif.dll"
exist(Yadif) ? Load_Stdcall_Plugin(Yadif) : nop()

Last edited by hello_hello; 11th April 2019 at 11:19.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2019, 14:25   #8800  |  Link
LouieChuckyMerry

Thanks for the above clarity . I've only a single script with a default YADIF call; is there any reason to favor YADIFMod or YADIFMod2 over YADIF?

Tags
megui