Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 10th April 2011, 00:34   #6601  |  Link
ajp_anton

About the (red) OSD, could you make it another color? I too am slightly color blind, and it's sometimes very difficult to see the text. It's not about size, just the color.
Maybe white text with a thin black border?
ajp_anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 00:42   #6602  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpdotcom View Post
Madshi, what improvements/differences are we likely to see with the final FSE rendering path?
From all the hints he's been giving lately I bet we'll see DXVA support or some other kind of hardware acceleration. But since he didn't talk about the upcoming features specifically, I guess he wants to surprise us (or he doesn't want to disappoint users by promising features he might no be able to implement in the end) so we'll have to wait for the release.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 01:00   #6603  |  Link
SamuriHL

It's not DXVA support. Cause I had asked about that in another thread cause I thought he was working on that and he said no.
Old 10th April 2011, 01:06   #6604  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I don't think there will be actual "features", it'll most likely just be smoother and overall better.
But lets wait a few hours!
Old 10th April 2011, 01:10   #6605  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
You've said you're working on a version of madVR that can work with DXVA, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
No, I didn't.
That means he didn't say that he was working on DXVA support, not that he didn't (plan to) work on DXVA.

But please don't hang me in case I'm wrong.

I feel like one of those Harry Potter fans standing in line for the midnight sale right now. Random fact: madVR turned 2 years yesterday.
Old 10th April 2011, 01:11   #6606  |  Link
SamuriHL

Well, I'm watching a blu-ray with 0.49 right now and man, literally THE best PQ I have on my PC. So, if there's an improvement to make things smoother, I'm all for it.
Old 10th April 2011, 01:12   #6607  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
That means he didn't say that he was working on DXVA support, not that he didn't (plan to) work on DXVA.

But please don't hang me in case I'm wrong.
ROFLMAO! That's, um, one way to look at it I suppose. LOL!
Old 10th April 2011, 01:32   #6608  |  Link
robpdotcom

Of course, he has to tease us with posts like this, from the CoreAVC thread:

Quote:
madVR simply doesn't support DXVA (yet?).
AMD 6870
robpdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 01:33   #6609  |  Link
SamuriHL

And he wonders why I asked about it in the other thread? sigh.
Old 10th April 2011, 02:21   #6610  |  Link
janos666

I think he simply states that he does not entirely refuse to support DXVA ("may be in the future" - but it is funny because DXVA will be less and less important with time, as we will have faster and faster CPUs...) but I think he doesn't really care. (For example, I wouldn't use it anyway because I simply don't trust in the DXVA decoder as much as I trust in the software libavcodec.)

What about the 10 bit/color output and "VGA LUT reset/reload", by the way?

Last edited by janos666; 10th April 2011 at 02:23.
janos666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 02:24   #6611  |  Link
SamuriHL

I'd be more interested in STREAM/CUDA decoding which is what I'm using now. Because then he has full control over the decoded frame for post processing. And none of the drawbacks of DXVA. That's what gives madVR its power.
Old 10th April 2011, 02:45   #6612  |  Link
Ziddy76

Is there any way to prevent MadVR from making my screen flash and other junk every time I go from full screen to restore? It's very annoying.
Ziddy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 02:54   #6613  |  Link
robpdotcom

I only want DXVA support for hardware deinterlacing. I use my HTPC as my DVR, and HW deinterlacing is the only method that works well no matter what I throw at it - which I think is due more to poor quality ATSC broadcasts than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziddy76 View Post
Is there any way to prevent MadVR from making my screen flash and other junk every time I go from full screen to restore? It's very annoying.
You could try disabling the automatic fullscreen exclusive mode.
AMD 6870

Last edited by robpdotcom; 10th April 2011 at 17:29.
robpdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 04:03   #6614  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Have you tried disabling the option to turn off Aero Glass in fullscreen mode?
Old 10th April 2011, 07:40   #6615  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.duck View Post
I'm afraid I have no idea what you are talking about. I mean this OSD in the top left...

It is always the same size regardless of the window/video size (as it should be).

I want it to be exactly the same as the OSD that you would get with MPC-HC + EVR.
Oh well, personally, I prefer the madVR OSD over the MPC-HC OSD. I think mine looks better. But that's probably a matter of taste. Anyway, this is not the right time to talk about cosmetics. Let's delay this until madVR is feature complete, ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abradoks View Post
Well, there are two parts of firewall: HIPS and network filter. Netfilter is ok now (no packets sent by madVR). But it still triggers HIPS by trying to use some kind of network related functions. You can get trial version here. But it should be same with any other HIPS.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp_anton View Post
About the (red) OSD, could you make it another color? I too am slightly color blind, and it's sometimes very difficult to see the text. It's not about size, just the color.
Maybe white text with a thin black border?
The problem with white text (without a black border) is that the sky is often very bright in movies, so a white OSD would be practically invisible. A black OSD would also be practically invisible in dark scenes. There are rarely scenes which are all red, so the current OSD color is a good choice, IMHO. Of course adding a thin black border would solve things, but doing that properly is harder than it seems and I've simply more important things to do first.

Quote:
From all the hints he's been giving lately I bet we'll see DXVA support or some other kind of hardware acceleration.
No, sorry. v0.50 is only about performance/smoothness in fullscreen exclusive mode.

Quote:
It's not DXVA support. Cause I had asked about that in another thread cause I thought he was working on that and he said no.
That's not what I said...

Quote:
Correct! I'm simply refusing to comment on DXVA at the moment. DXVA support may come, or maybe not. If it comes, maybe next week, maybe in 3 years. I'm generally not commenting on future versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
I don't think there will be actual "features", it'll most likely just be smoother and overall better.
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpdotcom View Post
Of course, he has to tease us with posts like this, from the CoreAVC thread: [...]

Quote:
Originally Posted by janos666 View Post
I think he simply states that he does not entirely refuse to support DXVA ("may be in the future" - but it is funny because DXVA will be less and less important with time, as we will have faster and faster CPUs...) but I think he doesn't really care. (For example, I wouldn't use it anyway because I simply don't trust in the DXVA decoder as much as I trust in the software libavcodec.)
Quote:
I'd be more interested in STREAM/CUDA decoding which is what I'm using now. Because then he has full control over the decoded frame for post processing. And none of the drawbacks of DXVA. That's what gives madVR its power.
FWIW, *if* I ever implement DXVA support then it won't have any image quality drawbacks (unless the DXVA decoder hardware is broken/buggy).

Quote:
The latest madVR version disables Aero by default when you switch to fullscreen, and reenables it by default when you "restore". You can modify this behaviour in the madVR settings.

FWIW, I'm considering leaving Aero on *by default* (but I'll keep the options as they currently are).

-------

Some bad news, unfortunately: On my HTPC (NVidia 9400 mainboard), either Direct3D or the NVidia drivers are not behaving as the Direct3D documentation says, resulting in problems with my final exclusive mode rendering path. Not sure how to handle this yet... I still hope to have a new version out later today. But I'm not sure how much of an improvement it will be over the madVR v0.49 (if any at all). Need to cross check how it behaves with ATI.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 08:34   #6616  |  Link
ch1n4

Thank you madschi,

Just take your time, there is no need to rush. It's done when you think everything behaves like you want it to behave.

Have a nice sunday.
ch1n4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 12:22   #6617  |  Link
ikarad

Quote:
That was not my last answer. Anyway, I do plan to add a "repeated frame" counter, but I cannot technically do that with the current presentation logic. It will come in a future madVR version. Might take a couple of weeks.
Excuse me to disturb you but I would like to know if do you expect to add this counter soon because in 0.49 there is not still this counter?

Can I expect in one week, one month or more?

Thanks.
ikarad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 13:06   #6618  |  Link
sneaker_ger

So much for that :/
Old 10th April 2011, 14:22   #6619  |  Link
SamuriHL

Lol! Thanks for the clarification. That's no fun about the nvidia side of the house. I hope you're able to find a clever solution.
Old 10th April 2011, 19:28   #6620  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Sorry guys, no new version today. Still fighting with exclusive mode on my stupid NVidia 9400. Hopefully tomorrow.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling