Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th August 2010, 00:34   #3921  |  Link
cyberlolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by isunrise View Post
i really have to say that i´m extremely impressed with the stable state that madvr 0.25 already is in, even though you just introduced fullscreen exclusive mode with madvr 0.24.

The idea of having the renderer autmatically switch between fullscreen windowed and fullscreen exclusive is great, i´ve never even thought that something like this could work as flawless as this. Thanks not only for your commitment for giving us madvr for free, but also for your fresh new ideas which really deserve at least one post of respect.
+1
cyberlolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 05:20   #3922  |  Link
Anima123

Madvr is so great that I'd even like to pay for it if I will have to.
Anima123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 07:20   #3923  |  Link
BeNooL

Tested 0.25 yesterday and here is what I noticed.

- while generally smooth the fullscreen exclusive mode has sometimes severe dropped frames: it plays fine for a while, severe dropped frame and smooth again for another long time.
- having the video paused in MPC-HC with fullscreen exclusive seems to sometime steal focus from other application.

That is with ATI 4550, XP SP3 and Catalyst 10.6. Multi display with video being played on 2nd screen (TV).
BeNooL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 09:13   #3924  |  Link
andybkma

Hope one of you fine video experts can help me out with this problem I'm having ever since any version of madVR past .19

XP SP3, Using Zoom Player 7 Pro, 2 different laptops with 1) Nvidia 8600M-GT and 2) Nvidia 8600M-GS. And using a 20" external monitor with resolution 1600x900.

Basically my problem is that whenever I play a higher rez video such as 1280x720 or 960x540 on my 1600x900 external monitor in fullscreen mode, I drop frames like crazy and have severe video stuttering. The same video plays fine in window mode, it's just in fullscreen that I get this severe stuttering. If I change the resolution of my external monitor to let's say 1280x720 (or 1280x800) or use my projector with its native rez of 1280x720 the videos play fine. It's only in resolution 1600x900 that I have this problem. I tried both the VGA and DVI inputs of my external monitor and same same problem.

Like I mentioned, .19 madVR does not have this problem for me so it's something in the code past .19 that is causing this for me. Does anyone have any ideas? How can I get these newer madVR versions to play nice nice with monitor resolution 1600x900 with 1280x720 videos? Thanks for any tips or advice...
andybkma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 10:35   #3925  |  Link
lych_necross
ZZZzzzz...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
Alright, told him. I thought "callback" meant something else.

Ah, you're so full of mysteries! It seems that it's got to do w/ distributed calibration or so? possibly using a database running the default RBG xy coordinates of many displays?

The only reason I could think of for a VR to connect to the LAN would be to synchronize this kind of "wall of image" set ups: http://www.hellopro.fr/images/produi...es-1227669.jpg

Otherwise, maybe you plan on running your own madtube.com website? it's a mad mad mad world, that's for sure
I ran strings on that file. Interesting output. I came across a line called "mad* home cinema network". My guess is that it allows the user to stream a video from one computer to another on a lan. It maybe something like a Windows Media Center Extender. Very interesting...
lych_necross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 11:41   #3926  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv View Post
Madshi,I've found this workaround (?).Is it how you acesss to fullscreen mode on your test machine with ZP?
You shouldn't have to change the AR to make madVR go fullscreen exclusive mode. Don't know why you have to do that. I'll add more information to the OSD in the next version to find out why it's not going into fullscreen mode with the default AR mode for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps View Post
This doesn't help on my end, unfortunately. Rendering times actually increase very very slightly .
Weird. But I'm not sure if it has anything to say, though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastplayer View Post
When UAC kicks in during playback, it stops and outputs the following message:
Why would UAC kick in during video playback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0077 View Post
1) Initially I couldn't get any video output at all, only audio. It was because I have reclock calling a vbs script to auto refresh rate in certain scenarios. Disabling this allows me to see video output so madVR can't currently handle refresh rate changes with this new fullscreen mode. Can madVR be made to react to changes of resolution / refresh rate?
As I said before, the final solution will be to let madVR handle refresh rates. I don't believe in letting ReClock pull the strings behind madVR's back. ReClock should leave madVR's rendering logic alone, thank you very much.

Quote:
In this scenario I wasn't able to get out of the black screen though using ESC or ALT-Enter.... can these keys be made to bring the user out of this fullscreen mode?
Should work, unless the media player and/or madVR were frozen/crashed.

Quote:
2) When I right click the video in fullscreen mode, the image flickers for a second or two and I see no menu, and then sometimes either nothing happens, playback continues but now I right clicked again and video and audio output stopped for about 10 seconds.... and then continued.
You're playing video back on secondary monitor, right? Seems that v0.25 doesn't handle that well yet. Should be fixed in the next build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octo-puss View Post
What does this do? Or rather, do I need this for anything when I already set madVR as output in the options?
You can ignore that. All DirectShow filters are listed there, including renderers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mueslibrown View Post
I'm still in windowed mode according to the OSD. What am I doing wrong?
I'll add more info to the OSD in the next build to find out why it's not switching to fullscreen exclusive mode on your PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pie1394 View Post
1. Time Seeking bar does not appear until I click the mouse.
Will be fixed in the next build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pie1394 View Post
2. Press the [Windows] key, the MPC-HC sometimes gets hung or crashed.
Will check if I can reproduce that problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSunrise View Post
I really have to say that I´m extremely impressed with the stable state that madVR 0.25 already is in, even though you just introduced fullscreen exclusive mode with madVR 0.24.

The idea of having the renderer autmatically switch between fullscreen windowed and fullscreen exclusive is great, I´ve never even thought that something like this could work as flawless as this. Thanks not only for your commitment for giving us madVR for free, but also for your fresh new ideas which really deserve at least one post of respect.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSunrise View Post
Is it possible that the involved switch (screen goes black, comes back again) that happens when the renderer switches from fullscreen windowed to fullscreen exclusive can somehow be made a little more "less noticable"? Or is that a side-effect of the automatic switching, because you kind of need to "initialize" the exclusive mode every time and so it´s completely out of your control? This is not a major problem at all, but it takes about 0.5-1 seconds, even on my GTX260.
I have to "reset" the Direct3D device to switch between windowed <-> exclusive mode, there's nothing I can do about that. I don't think it can be made less noticeable. It seems it's more noticeably for some people than others. It's much less noticeably on my dev PC compared to my HTPC. Don't know where the difference comes from. Maybe OS. Maybe GPU. Maybe something else...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankov View Post
in the changelog it says 0.25. Btw is there a reason not to put madVR version as a general file version?
Would have to change the install bat every time. In the long run I'll probably not ship all those various versions, anymore, but just the latest one. I'm shipping so many versions now because it's still so early in development and sometimes older versions may work better than newer versions.

Quote:
In the devinfo.txt I noticed that you've implemented an interface for OSD text messages and I was wondering if it's possible to bring this to the next level - to have interface for drawing graphics not only text in exclusive mode? (Some kind of virtual window/Device Context that madVR will overlay over the rendered image).
This will allow with very little work from the developers of the player to have their original OSD/Media Library/Navigation ... or at least I think/hope so.
VMR9 already has an interface which allows that, but ZoomPlayer isn't using it (AFAIK). ZoomPlayer seems to be using standard Delphi GUI elements to draw the GUI, and I don't think it's easy to draw these GUI elements into a device context.

Quote:
Another thought that popped into my mind is about controlling which windows should bring madVR out from exclusive mode. It will be great if you can add support for black/white listing window names/executables that should be ignored/considered when checking if madVR needs to get out of fullscreen exclusive mode.
Not sure if that makes sense. If madVR does not switch out of exclusive mode when it's covered by other windows then there may be nasty flickering between madVR window and the other window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNooL View Post
- while generally smooth the fullscreen exclusive mode has sometimes severe dropped frames: it plays fine for a while, severe dropped frame and smooth again for another long time.
Don't see that on my PC. Do you have the same problem in windowed mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNooL View Post
- having the video paused in MPC-HC with fullscreen exclusive seems to sometime steal focus from other application.
Do you see the same behaviour with EVR/VMR exclusive mode? Or is this specific to madVR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybkma View Post
XP SP3, Using Zoom Player 7 Pro, 2 different laptops with 1) Nvidia 8600M-GT and 2) Nvidia 8600M-GS. And using a 20" external monitor with resolution 1600x900.

Basically my problem is that whenever I play a higher rez video such as 1280x720 or 960x540 on my 1600x900 external monitor in fullscreen mode, I drop frames like crazy and have severe video stuttering.
Try playing with the windowed mode tweak options. Generally, v0.19 should not perform better than newer versions, if you set the tweak options "right". If you search back through the thread, I once explained which tweak options make newer madVR versions behave similar to v0.19.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lych_necross View Post
I ran strings on that file. Interesting output. I came across a line called "mad* home cinema network".
In what way does that surprise you?

mad* home cinema network -> madHcNet.dll

I thought that much was obvious! Let me state again that madHcNet.dll does *NOT* contact the internet, or "dial home" or anything of that sort. I've seen speculation about that in another forum. So in order to put that fear to rest, let me say that much, that madHcNet.dll allows madVR instances on the local LAN to see and communicate with each other. This functionality is not actually used yet, though. And I won't say (yet) which purpose it will be used for.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 11:43   #3927  |  Link
fastplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Why would UAC kick in during video playback?
When you invoke it manually, I mean.
fastplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 12:32   #3928  |  Link
neb1236

Hi,

Firstly I confirm the problem on full-screen on secondary monitor that jump back to the main monitor on my configuration.
btw at the moment madVR switch to full-screen on primary, the second monitor also blink at the same time as the primary, is it needed?
May I propose an option to use the exclusive mode immediately when going to full-screen? It will virtually reduce the impression of the black blink since it will be mixed with the changing of windowed to full-screen?

Last question, is it possible to see no improvement compared to windowed, Meaning that windowed mode is (for me) is already perfectly smooth? Or am I tolerant to bad playback?

Config:
ATI HD5770 last catalyst drivers, all catalyst software deactivated at startup
2 screens in DVI : 1600x1200+1920x1200 both at 60hz
Madvr 2.4 setting to default, except lanczos4 moved to lanczos3
Window 7 x64 aero on
All=ffdshow, H264=coreAVC through ffdshow, vsfilter, haali, mpcHC (build 2099)

Speed of the full-screen exclusive mode: low for the first time (about 1/2sec) and then too fast to quantify it

Last word: Thank you so much, madVR is the only overlay that initiates that fast compared to other EVR base output
neb1236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 13:00   #3929  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

@madshi: so do you think there's a chance you could retrieve the current refresh rate info from XP at all? some ppl complained that it also didn't work on Vista I think.

I can only confirm that windowed mode still works amazingly well, I said "it's a mad mad mad world" coz I had almost given up on my HTPC before mVR showed up, hah

And Reclock doesn't just "pull the strings behind mVR's back", it also does 23.976 and 25@24fps adaptations so anyone can enjoy his movies at the proper speed...and w/o any audible glitch at that. Some ppl seem to prefer a dropped frame from time to time over resampled audio...each to his own, personally dropped frames ruin the whole thing for me..just like gappy audio playback.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lych_necross View Post
"mad* home cinema network". My guess is that it allows the user to stream a video from one computer to another on a lan.
That's the most logical explanation but I don't see the point to that..as most processing is done in the GPU anyway?

Last edited by leeperry; 5th August 2010 at 14:32.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 13:02   #3930  |  Link
andybkma

Thanks, madshi for your input to my rendering 1280x720 material on a 1600x1900 monitor stuttering problem. I realized that I do indeed still have the same problem with version .19 so went back to .25 and played with the luma upscaling/downscaling and changed from the default Lanczos 4 to Softcubic 60 for both luma up & down scaling and that improved the stuttering somewhat. Not perfect but better than using Lanczos 4. Guess that means my 8600M-GT and GS are not powerful enough to display 720p material on a 1600x1900 monitor with Lanczos? strange.

Oh, and I want to also confirm I have the same problem as poster "Luv" with going into Exclusive Full Screen mode with Zoom Player requiring that I change the aspect ratio to Disable (Fit To Window). If I leave it at Derived (recommended) then it stays in windowed mode per the madVR OSD even though I am in fullscreen. Not every video but I would say at least 80% of my videos won't go into Exclusive Full Screen mode unless I change the aspect ration to Disabled. But then of course that messes up the AR so that solution is no good.

Last edited by andybkma; 5th August 2010 at 13:14.
Old 5th August 2010, 13:05   #3931  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

BTW, you said: "If the PotPlayer coder wants to have an interface to ask madVR whether it's in fullscreen exclusive mode or not, I can add that"

He told me that he would need it, as he currently has no way to know whether mVR is running in FS.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 13:13   #3932  |  Link
nlnl

madshi
Thanks again for that smooth playback!

And back to high rendering time...
FS Exl
Playing 1080p23 file at 1080p23 monitor aver rendering time is 32 dec queue 7-8/8 up queue 4-5/8 rend queue 3-4/8
Playing the same 1080p23 file at 1080p50 monitor aver rendering time is 17 dec queue 7-8/8 up queue 7-8/8 rend queue 7-8/8
Playing 1080p23 file at 1080p59 monitor aver rendering time is 13 dec queue 7-8/8 up queue 7-8/8 rend queue 7-8/8

And aver rendering time is slowly going up!

Is that OK ?

In FS Wind mode rendering time is always 7.1-7.4 and queues are 7-8/8

MPC, Vista, AMD 5400, 10.7 30bitRGB output

Last edited by nlnl; 5th August 2010 at 13:48.
nlnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 13:51   #3933  |  Link
Fer

Brilliant work. Keep doing. Very grateful forever.

One minor petition. It would be posible to low the screen OSD vertical position in order that the text were inside a 2.35:1 screen?

Now the information about the exclusive mode it is not seen in such kind of constant height screens.

Fer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 14:35   #3934  |  Link
Mark_A_W
3 eyed CRT supporter

madshi, the aspect ratio (Derived) is what has been preventing ZP going into exclusive on my system, if the resolution does not match the video.

With it set to "Disabled", ZP/madVR will go into exclusive on my primary monitor (1920x1200 at 85hz progressive). But of course the aspect ratio is now wrong. It was going into exclusive on my secondary monitor (1920x1080 at 96hz interlaced), but would then chuck the Direct3D error.

So I think I have found why the results appear inconsistent: It will only go into exclusive with the aspect ratio set to "Derived (recommended)", if the resolution matches the video res.

Also, it would be FANFRIGGINTASTIC if you could negotiate the madVR/Reclock interaction with James at Slysoft. He is still actively developing Reclock, and as madVR is the best video renderer, Reclock is the best audio renderer (even if you don't want resampling - it still has WASAPI and all sorts of good stuff).

Please consider setting up a Paypal donation account. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to buy you a beer

Mark
Mark_A_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 15:24   #3935  |  Link
namaiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybkma View Post
Guess that means my 8600M-GT and GS are not powerful enough to display 720p material on a 1600x1900 monitor with Lanczos?
Are you using CoreAVC's CUDA video offloading?
namaiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 15:39   #3936  |  Link
andybkma

Quote:
Originally Posted by namaiki View Post
Are you using CoreAVC's CUDA video offloading?
No, this is 1280x720 wmv material. Just can't figure out why it renders fine on any other resolution except for 1600x900. Very strange, still haven't quite solved this problem. The more I play with madVRs settings, the more problems I seem to create....
Old 5th August 2010, 15:45   #3937  |  Link
namaiki

andybkma, assuming single monitor, have you tried disabling Aero?
Old 5th August 2010, 16:11   #3938  |  Link
andybkma

Quote:
andybkma, assuming single monitor, have you tried disabling Aero?
Yes, single monitor but am XP SP3. My original post (amended for current problem)

Basically my problem is that whenever I play a higher rez video such as 1280x720 or 960x540 on my 1600x900 external monitor in fullscreen mode, I drop frames like crazy and have severe video stuttering. The same video plays fine in window mode, it's just in fullscreen that I get this severe stuttering. If I change the resolution of my external monitor to let's say 1280x720 (or 1280x800) or use my projector with its native rez of 1280x720 the videos play fine. It even plays fine on my laptops' rez of 1280x800 in fullscreen. It's only in resolution 1600x900 and fullscreen that I have this problem. I tried both the VGA and DVI inputs of my external monitor but same same problem.
Old 5th August 2010, 16:18   #3939  |  Link
namaiki

Did it work before? How much video ram do the GPUs have?

Last edited by namaiki; 5th August 2010 at 16:22.
Old 5th August 2010, 16:37   #3940  |  Link
andybkma

Quote:
Did it work before? How much video ram do the GPUs have?
The 8600M GT has 512 MB and the 8600M GS has 256. Problem is on both laptops and has always been there. Earlier I had thought the problem went away with version .19 but I was mistaken. Changing the luma upscaling/downscaling values has minimal effect. It's only with resolution 1600x900 in fullscreen mode that I have this problem which unfortunately is my external monitor's native rez. The vids play fine in fullscreen on both my laptops internal displays which are 1280x800 rez. This is driving me nuts trying to figure out this problem...

More troubleshooting: Also have this same problem with H264 1280x720 material even when using CoreAVC and Cuda. It's as if madVR can't render 1280x720 material (wmv nor H264) smoothly in fullscreen on my monitor resolution 1600x900. I don't know how else to describe this...

Last edited by andybkma; 5th August 2010 at 17:10.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling