Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 23rd March 2015, 22:11   #28481  |  Link
THEAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by michkrol View Post
How many seeks ("jumps") is a few? 5? 10? 25?
By "and then stop" do you mean the playback or seeking in the movie?

Does this not happen with other renderers available in MPC-HC?
Does this happen on all of your files?
Is your file ripped directly (from TV broadcast, etc.) or is it properly into mkv or other container that supports keyframes properly? Try muxing you file with mkvmerge GUI (free tool) to make sure it's not your file(s) being broken.
Do you have any of the "use separate device for ..." options enabled? If yes, try disabling them.
What does the debug OSD (CTRL+J) say after seeking?
What decoders and other filters are you using? What Windows version are you on?
1. 5-10 consecutive jumps.
2. Stop seeking.
3. Haven't tried other renderers.
4. I think it only happens with high-resolution (720p+) H264 files.
5. Files are properly muxed with MKVmerge, quite a few of them by myself.
6. I had it enabled on my desktop, but not on my laptop.
7. Strangely enough, the one time I remember that the issue didn't go away no matter what, I checked the statistics and no dropped frames were being reported whatsoever.
8. LAV as splitter, ffdshow as both video and audio decoder. Windows 7 x64.

Sorry that I can't give much useful info, the issue isn't always reproducible.
THEAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 22:11   #28482  |  Link
aufkrawall

Decent fixed function units (as seen on the GTX 960 or Broadwell) should be much faster than CPU for decoding, especially with HEVC.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2015, 22:59   #28483  |  Link
baii

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
nevcariel has always said that software decoding is best if you have a decent CPU, because the CPU can process many more frames per second and there are no GPU driver bugs to worry about. As huhn said, the output visual quality is identical.
Pretty much this. However there are some content out there now that aren't possible to decode fast enough using just software decoder on a average CPU(typical quad core). (Hevc 4k and those samples).
Hardware decode also typically give off less heat, hence less noise.

So for typical 1080p content, it is up to user liking IMO. I personally stick with software.

If the CPU is not fast enough for your content, then there's no other option but to enable some kind of hardware acceleration/decode.

Sent from my 306SH
baii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2015, 01:08   #28484  |  Link
tp4tissue

Gotcha guys.. Thx for the infos.

I need dxva on my pathetic 2520m laptop. The cooler is so crummy that using software lav + gpu catmull scale will push 80C, whereas dxva lav+madvr-dxva scaling only pushes 60C

That's 20C difference.. and it's only a 1366x768 output..
Old 24th March 2015, 08:31   #28485  |  Link
bouwew

Anyone else try the AMD 15.3 beta driver yet?
A quick check with 720p material upscaled to 1080p (on an R9 270, using NNEDI) shows a performance on par with the 13.12 driver
Will test more later...
bouwew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2015, 09:45   #28486  |  Link
huhn

i got this:

http://abload.de/img/haswellr9270l9kca.png
defiantly not a interop fix.
maybe be abit faster maybe not.
using a haswell CPU and a r9 270
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2015, 13:38   #28487  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

I tested the 15.3 Beta... and yet again on my rig, with settings pushed to the max, madVR performance dropped. All I do to recover the performance is roll-back the driver to 13.251 (I don't do a catalyst re-install)

QB
Old 24th March 2015, 17:50   #28488  |  Link
michkrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEAST View Post
3. Haven't tried other renderers.
Do try it. I think it might be a problem with the decoder, since no one else seems to be having this issue. If it's not really linked to madVR, we should move to a separate thread.
Quote:
4. I think it only happens with high-resolution (720p+) H264 files.
Do you have hardware decoding enabled (DVXA/QuickSync/CUDA)? Try disabling it.
Also check GPU memory usage (with GPU-Z (freeware) or similar) and try lowering the queues' sizes.
Quote:
8. LAV as splitter, ffdshow as both video and audio decoder. Windows 7 x64.
I would strongly advise you to switch to LAVFilters completely to avoid compatibility issues and just use a decoder that is actively developed.
michkrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2015, 20:42   #28489  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
Decent fixed function units (as seen on the GTX 960 or Broadwell) should be much faster than CPU for decoding, especially with HEVC.
Agreed, but that doesn't help the OP until he does a future upgrade.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 02:15   #28490  |  Link
ryrynz

Madshi, any ideas what's causing madVR to crash when using latest MPC-BE along with XYsubFilter?
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 15:15   #28491  |  Link
huhn

should be this: http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...postcount=2770

it's out of the mpc-be thread.
Old 26th March 2015, 21:37   #28492  |  Link
harshal_rio91

Any update on the black screen issue on Nvidia Optimus 800 series laptops?
harshal_rio91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 22:05   #28493  |  Link
Asmodian

No, it is still the same.
Old 27th March 2015, 02:43   #28494  |  Link
JonnyRedHed

Few quick questions please.

Just tried error diffusion - option 2 (latest madvr - Zoomplayer - Lav). I can see the small description next to it saying its different opt 1, but was just wondering is opt 2 a better option. I notice its slightly more expensive to run.

2nd. I tried option 2 because all of a sudden option 1 was showing thin vertical black lines on the screen. Took me ages to narrow down what was causing it. First I thought zoomplayer, so reset and loaded settings backup, and then moved onto madvr doing the same. I then started to go thru all the options one by one in madvr settings window and got to changing from error diffusion opt1 (my default) to opt 2 made the lines go away once I pressed apply. Back to opt1 and apply and the lines come back. No idea why, it just started today. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

screengrab: http://i57.tinypic.com/2a7tpbb.jpg

NV driver: 347.88 WHQL > HDMI > 50inch plasma TV

3rd question. The crash I mentioned above didn't manage to send via the web. I've only ever seen it send maybe twice in all the time I've been using madvr (which is years), and its tried many times. Zoom player Max v10 (my player) has access to the web, so do I need to allow some madvr exe access also via my PC firewall (Eset Smart Security 8). I hadn't had a crash for ages so just forgot to follow up why madvr crash reporter never managed to connect.

Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited by JonnyRedHed; 27th March 2015 at 08:27. Reason: forgot the image
JonnyRedHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2015, 08:52   #28495  |  Link
dansrfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
No, it is still the same.
Do you know if it's a problem with the player, madVR, the intel/nvidia drivers or all the above? I wish I could understand the root of the black screen and freeze problem on optimus laptops with nvidia selected.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2015, 11:30   #28496  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyRedHed View Post
Few quick questions please.

Just tried error diffusion - option 2 (latest madvr - Zoomplayer - Lav). I can see the small description next to it saying its different opt 1, but was just wondering is opt 2 a better option. I notice its slightly more expensive to run.

2nd. I tried option 2 because all of a sudden option 1 was showing thin vertical black lines on the screen. Took me ages to narrow down what was causing it. First I thought zoomplayer, so reset and loaded settings backup, and then moved onto madvr doing the same. I then started to go thru all the options one by one in madvr settings window and got to changing from error diffusion opt1 (my default) to opt 2 made the lines go away once I pressed apply. Back to opt1 and apply and the lines come back. No idea why, it just started today. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

screengrab: http://i57.tinypic.com/2a7tpbb.jpg

NV driver: 347.88 WHQL > HDMI > 50inch plasma TV

3rd question. The crash I mentioned above didn't manage to send via the web. I've only ever seen it send maybe twice in all the time I've been using madvr (which is years), and its tried many times. Zoom player Max v10 (my player) has access to the web, so do I need to allow some madvr exe access also via my PC firewall (Eset Smart Security 8). I hadn't had a crash for ages so just forgot to follow up why madvr crash reporter never managed to connect.

Thanks in advance guys.
know issue. since driver version 347.25
http://bugs.madshi.net/view.php?id=250

i don't think mode 2 is better it's just different. just choice what looks better to you, if you don't see a difference don't use it.
Old 27th March 2015, 11:35   #28497  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
Do you know if it's a problem with the player, madVR, the intel/nvidia drivers or all the above? I wish I could understand the root of the black screen and freeze problem on optimus laptops with nvidia selected.
it's pretty clear this is an nvidia/intel driver issue.
Old 27th March 2015, 13:55   #28498  |  Link
clsid

Didn't MPDN have similar problems with Optimus that were later fixed? I do not follow that topic closely, but I vaguely remember a black screen issue with too large queue size. I am not sure if that was Optimus specific. But you could test with all queues at minimum size in madVR.
Old 27th March 2015, 14:21   #28499  |  Link
huhn

that's what i know:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...optimus&page=3

maybe MPDN has a better chance in fixing this it is a hole new problem while mpc-hc and player like that are normal playback software that is usually set to low powerstate/iGPU to spare power.

people can try min queue size but some feature may totally fail with that.
Old 27th March 2015, 14:30   #28500  |  Link
JonnyRedHed

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
know issue. since driver version 347.25
http://bugs.madshi.net/view.php?id=250

i don't think mode 2 is better it's just different. just choice what looks better to you, if you don't see a difference don't use it.
Ah I see a known bug, thank you for pointing that out. Yes I was on a driver some 4 months old before updating yesterday. I even updated again today to 347.90 in the hope it would fix it, but alas it didn't.
JonnyRedHed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling