Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 22nd December 2007, 14:37   #2161  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Thanks nautilus and Thunderbolt. And is the FLAC track in sync for both of you?
I made a flac with an earlier version (2.03). Yes it was in sync.
Old 22nd December 2007, 15:00   #2162  |  Link
Pink Floyd

Hi

Can the EAC3to tool be used to downmix DTS 5.1 tracks to normal 2 Channel stereo wav? I need to listen some DTS 5.1 Stuff on the move. I wonder if anyone has the need for stereo downmix.

From the release notes I see that the EAC3to tool uses the Cinemaster Video/ Audio Decoder for DTS Decoding. I messed around the registry keys for the Cinemaster Audio decoder and found that the following key controls the DTS Decoding Options:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sonic\CommonMPEGDecoders\4.2\AudioDecoder\DTSOuputOptions. The default for the DTSOuputOptions is 0xb hex. I this is changed to 0x0 hex then the decoded output for a 5.1 Channel DTS file is a 2 Channel downmixed file. I'm not certain whether this is a downmixed output of just the Front Left and Right Channels.

Note that by changing this key value the output can be controlled to 2, 3, 4, 5 and 5.1 Channels.

Regards
Old 22nd December 2007, 17:49   #2163  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Floyd View Post
Can the EAC3to tool be used to downmix DTS 5.1 tracks to normal 2 Channel stereo wav? I need to listen some DTS 5.1 Stuff on the move. I wonder if anyone has the need for stereo downmix.

From the release notes I see that the EAC3to tool uses the Cinemaster Video/ Audio Decoder for DTS Decoding. I messed around the registry keys for the Cinemaster Audio decoder and found that the following key controls the DTS Decoding Options:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sonic\CommonMPEGDecoders\4.2\AudioDecoder\DTSOuputOptions. The default for the DTSOuputOptions is 0xb hex.
eac3to is already manipulating these registry values to force the Sonic decoder to output all channels and *not* to downmix. eac3to's purpose is to deliver as many channels as possible. Downmixing to 2 channels is currently not supported. I could probably add that, but I'd need to know how this is usually done technically. Does anybody know? Which channels are mixed in with which volume?
Old 22nd December 2007, 18:22   #2164  |  Link
rickardk

Latest version works like a charm. Thanks for this great tool!
I have problems with two titles though:

Godfellas:
eac3to says that the two evo-files are of unknown format.
I can however demux video and audio with evodemux. But when I try to convert the eac3 audiotrack eac3to complains about the track being dirty.

Kingdom of heaven:
Joined the two m2ts files with copy /b. Then I used TSRemux to extract audio. Eac3to complains again about audiotrack being dirty. So I tried to demux the joined m2ts file with xport and it gives me an error halfway through. Is there any other way to join m2ts files before demuxing?
Old 22nd December 2007, 18:31   #2165  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardk View Post
Godfellas:
eac3to says that the two evo-files are of unknown format.
I can however demux video and audio with evodemux. But when I try to convert the eac3 audiotrack eac3to complains about the track being dirty.
It seems that there really is something bad with those EVO files. eac3to is very strict. It doesn't allow dirty files (files with corruption or bit faults). Please try reripping.

Quote:
Kingdom of heaven:
Joined the two m2ts files with copy /b. Then I used TSRemux to extract audio. Eac3to complains again about audiotrack being dirty. So I tried to demux the joined m2ts file with xport and it gives me an error halfway through. Is there any other way to join m2ts files before demuxing?
If demuxing audio is your only aim then you can use the latest xport version and demux audio separately for both m2ts files. Which audio track format do you want to demux? eac3to can join most formats for you. E.g. you can use "eac3to firstchunk.pcm+secondchunk.pcm destination.flac".
Old 22nd December 2007, 18:35   #2166  |  Link
rickardk

Quote:
It seems that there really is something bad with those EVO files. eac3to is very strict. It doesn't allow dirty files (files with corruption or bit faults). Please try reripping.

If demuxing audio is your only aim then you can use the latest xport version and demux audio separately for both m2ts files. Which audio track format do you want to demux? eac3to can join most formats for you. E.g. you can use "eac3to firstchunk.pcm+secondchunk.pcm destination.flac".
Already reripped Godfellas. Same problem.

Video stream and decoded dts ma track converted to flac into a mkv container was the goal for Kingdom of Heaven.

Have encounterd problems before when joining m2ts files (from several titles). Sometimes the lenght of the joined m2ts file is reported wrong when played back in WMP or PowerDVD. Don't know if copy /b is the right way to join m2ts files.

Last edited by rickardk; 22nd December 2007 at 18:41.
Old 22nd December 2007, 19:07   #2167  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

dont use tsremux any more, just join the files with copy /b and then direclty use xport for demuxing. should usually work
Old 22nd December 2007, 19:18   #2168  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Already reripped Godfellas. Same problem.
Can you please upload a little sample? Try to create a sample of 50MB. Then please try whether eac3to does not recognize that 50MB sample, either. Only then please upload the sample. If eac3to does handle the sample, you may have to upload a bigger sample (up to 300MB).
Old 22nd December 2007, 19:23   #2169  |  Link
rickardk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
dont use tsremux any more, just join the files with copy /b and then direclty use xport for demuxing. should usually work

Tried that but it didnt work.
Im using tsremux to make ts files from the two m2ts right now. Sometime then the lenght of joined m2ts files are all wrong I us to make ts from the m2ts files and then join the ts files. Works sometimes...

Also reripped Kingdom of Heaven and I'm sure the rip is clean.
Old 22nd December 2007, 19:27   #2170  |  Link
rickardk

Quote:
Can you please upload a little sample? Try to create a sample of 50MB. Then please try whether eac3to does not recognize that 50MB sample, either. Only then please upload the sample. If eac3to does handle the sample, you may have to upload a bigger sample (up to 300MB).
Don't really know how to make a small sample evo...
The errors starts right away so I'm sure 50MB is enough.

Btw. I will really put eac3to to the test the next couple of weeks as I'm planning to rerip my entire collection of Blu-rays and HD DVDs (app 200 discs). Video untouched, will just keep best audio track (High BR audio to FLAC) mkv as container.

Last edited by rickardk; 22nd December 2007 at 19:36.
Old 22nd December 2007, 19:35   #2171  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
Tried that but it didnt work.
Im using tsremux to make ts files from the two m2ts right now. Sometime then the lenght of joined m2ts files are all wrong I us to make ts from the m2ts files and then join the ts files. Works sometimes...

Also reripped Kingdom of Heaven and I'm sure the rip is clean.
the displayed length should be wrong yes, its only accurate up to the first point where another file was joined. nevertheless, demuxing should be possible and the audio then should only be off for 5ms(LPCM) - 32ms((E)AC3) for the first part.

btw. which audio track do you mean? LPCM or eac3 ? in case of eac3 you might need to use delaycut, before eac3to will accept the input
Old 22nd December 2007, 19:41   #2172  |  Link
rickardk

Quote:
the displayed length should be wrong yes, its only accurate up to the first point where another file was joined. nevertheless, demuxing should be possible and the audio then should only be off for 5ms(LPCM) - 32ms((E)AC3) for the first part.

btw. which audio track do you mean? LPCM or eac3 ? in case of eac3 you might need to use delaycut, before eac3to will accept the input
It's a DTS-HD Master Audio track...
Old 22nd December 2007, 19:48   #2173  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

are you using xport v1.00?

if it still shouldnt work despite that send a sample to drmpeg and see what he will say regarding that.
Old 22nd December 2007, 19:54   #2174  |  Link
rickardk

Quote:
are you using xport v1.00?

if it still shouldnt work despite that send a sample to drmpeg and see what he will say regarding that.
Yes Im using 1.00. I will try one more time to rerip and then demux the two m2ts-files one by one.
If it doesnt work I'll send him a sample (don't really know what to sample though as the problem occurs in the joint of the two m2ts-files it seems). Will make a sample of Goodfellas for madshi later today.

Thanks for all help!

Last edited by rickardk; 22nd December 2007 at 20:22.
Old 22nd December 2007, 21:01   #2175  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
You can use a hexeditor for that. E.g. this one:

http://www.mh-nexus.de/

Quote:
Btw. I will really put eac3to to the test the next couple of weeks as I'm planning to rerip my entire collection of Blu-rays and HD DVDs (app 200 discs). Video untouched, will just keep best audio track (High BR audio to FLAC) mkv as container.
If I was you I'd do the HD DVDs first. Blu-Ray remuxing is still a bit more difficult. When you're done with all your HD DVDs, maybe the software for Blu-Ray remuxing has improved (or not).
Old 22nd December 2007, 21:38   #2176  |  Link
moshmothma

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus7 View Post
I made a flac with an earlier version (2.03). Yes it was in sync.
Ok, my mistake. Looks like the problem is related to my setup. Twice now on I have played mkvs created through eac3to and twice thought they were out of sync at one point and played later and they seemed fine. Playing reloaded, i had to apply an audio offset to get it to be in sync initially but playing again doesn't require it. I'll try and figure out what is wrong.
Now, if I can figure out why mkvs take so infernally long to open I'll be happy.
Thanks all (esp Madshi)
Old 23rd December 2007, 02:32   #2177  |  Link
drmpeg

Quote:
I have a few simple command line tools for cutting files to create samples.

http://www.w6rz.net/head.zip

Creates a file from the first x bytes of a file.

head <infile> <outfile> <length>

head movie.evo clip.evo 50000000

http://www.w6rz.net/tail.zip

Creates a file from the last x bytes of a file.

tail <infile> <outfile> <length>

tail movie.evo clip.evo 50000000

http://www.w6rz.net/clip.zip

Creates a file of x bytes starting at y bytes into the file.

clip <infile> <outfile> <start offset> <length>

clip movie.evo clip.evo 1000000000 50000000

Ron
Old 23rd December 2007, 03:28   #2178  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

regarding that kingdom of heaven sound might thing, it might be useful to get samples from the end and beginning of those parts, where the other .m2ts files are joined at with copy /b.
so when for example "copy /b a + b + c" then samples from end of a, beginning of b, maybe also end of b, beginning of c and also maybe beginning of a (just as general info).
if you really should have problems with xport regarding (the sound of) this movie, then just send him those samples, probably he can come up with a solution.

another thing, got a question to the conversion of dts-hd ma tracks to flac: the rebuilt .evo with this track only has a size of 1,92GB (16-bit; ~2h30min movie length) for 'the pianist'. the converted flac has a size of 978mb in the end, thats actually reduction of more than 50%. Ive already seen this movie and therefore know that especially later in the movie there are lots of quite scenes with much silence, but could it still be that way that the size shrinks down that much?

Last edited by Thunderbolt8; 23rd December 2007 at 03:33.
Old 23rd December 2007, 04:56   #2179  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Downmixing to 2 channels is currently not supported. I could probably add that, but I'd need to know how this is usually done technically. Does anybody know? Which channels are mixed in with which volume?
Here there are some ideas. The recommended downmix is the Dolby ProLogic II
Old 23rd December 2007, 07:34   #2180  |  Link
shanghai2004

Quote:
Does PowerDVD play the PCM track or the DTS-HD track?

The PCM track seems to be corrupt. Haali's splitter doesn't even offer to demux it. Sonic's splitter crashes when trying to demux it. Nero's filter demuxes the track, but it's no valid PCM data. eac3to demuxes it, too, but it's also not valid PCM data.

Maybe EvoDemux corrupted the EVO while rebuilding? Please try eac3to on the original EVO files.
Thanks for trying!

New sample from original disk (disk has no AACS), HxD used to cut 80MB sample. Tried 2.11 on this sample with same result.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/zcz2a6

Seems LPCM on HD-DVD does something special as I'm not able to get the LPCM audio track with any program so far.
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to