Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th January 2017, 15:58   #41861  |  Link
tahaa7

Question from a newbie: how much does madVR take advantage of multiple CPU cores, for instance how much difference does it make to have a quad-core CPU over a dual-core CPU (with the same single-core performance)?
tahaa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 16:29   #41862  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahaa7 View Post
Question from a newbie: how much does madVR take advantage of multiple CPU cores, for instance how much difference does it make to have a quad-core CPU over a dual-core CPU (with the same single-core performance)?
With madVR?

Should make little difference since madVR runs on GPU instead of CPU (?)

IF you're looking at integrated GPU (iGPU), things are different and the latest generation i7 will be better than an older one (since Intel added more iGPU power with newer revisions). As for multiple CPU, it is a much more complex situation to describe.

A new i5 which is quad core can be considerably faster and stronger than an older i7 which has 8 processing cores (4 physical, each of which has 2 processing cores).

Would be advisable to get even a cheap GPU for madVR rather than using iGPU.

Since the only other role the CPU has (if you're having a GPU already) is to software decide the file, a quad core should be enough for madVR.
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 16:31   #41863  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-XP View Post
You have to open the images in their original size if you want to compare them properly.

Click on the thumbnails on postimg and then you should see the abyssal differences between all of them by just switching from one to another in two tabs, if your screen is correctly calibrated.

You don't need any tool or zoom to see this.

Of course the RGB values are almost identical, debanding only smooth color gradations so you don't notice them.
I also see very little difference when it comes to that image, zoomed in, on a FHD display.

Certain materials and algorithms show considerably more difference, or at least it's easier to spot the differences, like in anime with clear line art and sharp edges.
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 17:23   #41864  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-XP View Post
Of course the RGB values are almost identical, debanding only smooth color gradations so you don't notice them.
i'm out of words here...

i mean debanding clearly works on that image but...
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 17:50   #41865  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by baii View Post
Have a Rx460, don't seem to have much problem with ngu 1080p to 4k.

By the way, was there a update in madvr or dispcal that made 3dlut calibration "cheaper" to run?
i need 2100 mb with my RX 480 without NGU with NGU high it is over 2500 and NGU very high it is over 3000.

but finally someone that tested it too thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 18:03   #41866  |  Link
strumf666

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/..._Architecture/
Hopfeully all those improvements will have some benefit for madvr too
strumf666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 18:37   #41867  |  Link
tahaa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgel View Post
With madVR?

Should make little difference since madVR runs on GPU instead of CPU (?)

IF you're looking at integrated GPU (iGPU), things are different and the latest generation i7 will be better than an older one (since Intel added more iGPU power with newer revisions). As for multiple CPU, it is a much more complex situation to describe.

A new i5 which is quad core can be considerably faster and stronger than an older i7 which has 8 processing cores (4 physical, each of which has 2 processing cores).

Would be advisable to get even a cheap GPU for madVR rather than using iGPU.

Since the only other role the CPU has (if you're having a GPU already) is to software decide the file, a quad core should be enough for madVR.
OK, thanks. But, the problem with Intel 7th gen mobile processors is that you have to make a choice of either getting a quad-core CPU with a weaker iGPU, or a dual-core CPU with better (Iris Plus) iGPU.
tahaa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 18:43   #41868  |  Link
huhn

for madVR get the iris pro.

most content can be hardware decoded. an dual core is fine for most content anyway.

madVR doesn't care about CPU core numbers.
Old 5th January 2017, 18:47   #41869  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Even I can see differences between all these images, especially at the bottom of the back.
But in some cases, debanding causes spikes in GPU usage and then frame drops. So I prefer not to enable it.
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 18:56   #41870  |  Link
huhn

if both option are debanding options are the same this shouldn't happen. maybe analyze gradient angle has something to do with it.

and yes the banding is with no question there i need medium to remove it.
Old 5th January 2017, 19:01   #41871  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlouy View Post
But in some cases, debanding causes spikes in GPU usage and then frame drops. So I prefer not to enable it.
That is due to the fade detection kicking in. If you keep debanding at the same strength fade detection doesn't run at all for a small increase in performance, and it never rerenders 5 frames which causes that spike and can cause dropped frames.
Old 5th January 2017, 19:40   #41872  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
That is due to the fade detection kicking in. If you keep debanding at the same strength fade detection doesn't run at all for a small increase in performance, and it never rerenders 5 frames which causes that spike and can cause dropped frames.
Do you mean e.g. keep both ticks the same med/med?
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 20:00   #41873  |  Link
huhn

yes keep both the same to avoid it.
Old 5th January 2017, 20:23   #41874  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Even I can see differences between all these images, especially at the bottom of the back.
You enable anything in madVR there will be differences....
In this case it's absolutely pointless, this is debanding on high setting it'll affect ANYTHING you throw at it by softening it, that doesn't mean it's improving the image at all.. There has to be actual VISIBLE banding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
i mean debanding clearly works on that image but...
Well technically it would "work" on anything...
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 21:26   #41875  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Thanks for the info about the fade detection causing frame drops.

@ryrynz: Do you think you can find screenshots where debanding is worse than nothing ?
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 21:30   #41876  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Well technically it would "work" on anything...
there is really no problem in seeing the banding i need medium debanding to remove it even with low it is very visible but the RGB gradation story is pretty hard.
Old 5th January 2017, 21:38   #41877  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgel View Post
Found a free tool that might come in handy
mVR already forces 0.5ms
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 21:50   #41878  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Thanks for the info about the fade detection causing frame drops.

@ryrynz: Do you think you can find screenshots where debanding is worse than nothing ?
There's a bunch if stuff we posted in the forum during development of the debanding algorithm.

Quote:
there is really no problem in seeing the banding i need medium debanding to remove it even with low it is very visible but the RGB gradation story is pretty hard.
I think it's funny that anyone would consider that source based on that image to require debanding, by that standard basically everything requires debanding. On high without proper banding you're mostly just removing detail softening the image in areas madVR will consider "banding" in the process, seems like folly to me. Personally I'd rather madVR analyse the image and apply debanding only when required but that might be worth it for the overhead, still it would be nice to enable it by default without it harming the image in the areas it's not needed. Remember that high is quite aggressive and optimised for actual clearly visible banding.. Not the above.

Last edited by ryrynz; 5th January 2017 at 22:11.
Old 5th January 2017, 22:09   #41879  |  Link
huhn

i can't deny that the image is strange there is way to many black clipping in it and the image is only 1.4 mb that is strange with a dithered 1080p image.

and taking your screen i see banding in both!
http://i.imgur.com/jXzOMk6.png
Old 5th January 2017, 22:13   #41880  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
and taking your screen i see banding in both!
You could probably find some minor "banding" in just about every encode ever released.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling