Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 16th February 2009, 12:03   #1  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

PgcEdit v9.2 released! (16 February 2009)

PgcEdit v9.2 (February 16, 2009) changelog
  • E. Thanks to M_Knox, there are now nice looking new icons in the standard "yes/no/cancel", "please wait" and "donation reminder" dialogs.
  • E. Delete Uncalled PGCs did not delete some PGCs considered as unsafe due to multiple sets of buttons/BOVs, even if all PGCs containing the multiple sets of buttons/BOVs were uncalled.
  • F. Delete Uncalled PGCs deleted the uncalled PGCs that were NOT safe to delete due to multiple sets of buttons/BOVs when ALL uncalled PGCs were unsafe!
  • E. When Go To Calling Command finds no jump to the current PGC, the PGC is now automatically marked as <uncalled>.
  • F. Go To Calling Command: Bugs when the function was launched several times without closing the result window fixed by M_Knox. Thanks!
  • E. Delete PGC and Kill Playback (with option to remove the cells) in menu: When all remaining PGCs in the menu are dummies, PgcEdit offers now to delete the menu VOB file and remove the VOB tables from the IFO.
  • E. Delete Uncalled PGCs improved for speed.
  • E. Info -> GPRM has now an option to search for the commands containing a GPRM in "All", "Read" or "Write" modes, so you can now, for example, find if a GPRM is used in read mode only, but never initialized by a Set command.
  • E. Info -> Multiple Sets Of Buttons/BOVs: added a summary with the list of all PGCs containing multiple sets of buttons/BOVs.
  • E. Info -> Multiple Sets Of Buttons/BOVs: When the option "Command Editor -> Allow PgcEdit to add automatic comments in the PGC labels" is ON, the comment "<MBS>" is now added to all PGCs containing multiple button sets.
  • F. Fixed some typos, and renamed "Exit Domain" to "Exit State".
  • F. After having loaded a Scratchbook file in the scratchbook, the sub-menu of Append To Scratchbook (with the scratchbook sections) was not updated.
  • F. Trace mode: When playing a multi-angle cell, PgcEdit was unable to identify the correct angle cell to play (except for angle 1), and issued a warning.
  • F. Trace mode: The Menu Viewer was not closed when the user selected the GoUp button to resume to the Title domain (when the GoUpPGCN link = 0xFFFF).
  • F. Trace mode: The Control+Arrow shortcut keys used to control the trace interfered with the Arrow keys shortcuts in the main window.
  • E. Jump To PGC Upon DVD Insert: The explanation on how to use the function was not displayed any more in v9.1 when it was launched from the FP-PGC.
  • F. PGC Editor: PgcEdit highlights now in red illegal values of the Prev and Next PGCN links in the Menu domains.
  • F. PGC Editor: It was possible to use the PTT Editor on a not-one_sequential Title if the current PGC was a dummy (or a cell has just been created.)
  • F. Load DVD: PgcEdit deleted all LUs or all PGCs in a menu domain when a LU or PGC was a clone of another one because its offset pointer was pointing to the other LU or PGC. Now, it deletes automatically the cloned LUs, and prompts the user to keep or remove the cloned PGCs.
  • F. Several small GUI bugs fixed by M_KNOX.

New manual, updated for PgcEdit v9.2!

Thanks to Blutach and Wombler, the documentation has been updated. You can consult the online HTML documentation here, here, or here.

There is a discussion thread about the manual here at Doom9.

The compiled HTML documentation file for Windows (PgcEdit_Manual.chm) is included in the PgcEdit_v9.2_winexe.zip file, but not in the Linux archive. You can also download it separately here or here. To install it, create a directory "doc" in your PgcEdit installation folder, and copy the CHM file in that directory. This way, PgcEdit will be able to access it from its Help menu.

If you prefer to install the HTML version, download it here or here. Extract the files and folders in a "doc" subdirectory in the PgcEdit installation folder.

If PgcEdit cannot find the CHM or HTML documentation locally, it will open your browser and display the online HTML doc. Therefore, it is not necessary to install it locally.

German version of PgcEdit v9.1

The German PgcEdit site is closed, but a new translation has been made, and is available via my homepage.
You can download it here or here.
Note that currently, this is still v9.1! V9.2 should be available soon.

Updated Hexbit Operands plugin

Thanks to M_Knox, the Hexbit Operands plugin has been updated to v0.8:
  • added option to display hexadecimal values for all Set operations
  • added option to display descriptions for IF operations

Have fun!
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 12:05   #2  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Many thanks r0lZ!

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.

Last edited by blutach; 16th February 2009 at 12:07.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 22:24   #3  |  Link
CakeOrDeath

Thanks a bunch! Your work is greatly appreciated.
CakeOrDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 00:02   #4  |  Link
Wombler
Affable Wanderer

Thanks for that r0lZ. Much appreciated.

Wombler
Wombler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 00:45   #5  |  Link
jm1647

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
PgcEdit v9.2 (February 16, 2009)

Have fun!
It's always fun using PgcEdit Thanks for the update r0lZ!!

And thanks to blutach, Wombler and M_Knox too
jm1647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 01:02   #6  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

... and to all the beta team, as well as to the new donors!
Old 17th February 2009, 19:28   #7  |  Link
tom942

Thanks r0lz for the new update. I'm already using the new v9 series -I donīt know if you remember that I was reticent to change from 8.6 to the new one when I asked about the minimun PUO's that you use to set- and it just improves and improves and I could continue to the infinity... .

And thank you blutach and wombler for the new manual, it's really useful the info inside. Aps, I can see the icons properly .
tom942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009, 23:39   #8  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Those icons have caused us headaches tom (and still are a bit!)

New context-sensitive help is on the way, thanks to a plugin we are testing written by M_Knox. This is a big improvement. Keep a look out for its release.

Regards

Old 18th February 2009, 11:11   #9  |  Link
Wombler
Affable Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutach View Post
Those icons have caused us headaches tom (and still are a bit!)
Yes, remarkably so.

I blame Microsoft though for unforseen incompatibilities.

Wombler
Wombler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 11:45   #10  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

For the German users

The German version of PgcEdit v9.2 is now available. See the Download section of the PgcEdit homepage.
Old 24th February 2009, 18:34   #11  |  Link
bibile

Hi,

I've one simple question : is it possible to merge some pgc?
Why : I try to encode my Japanese Anime but for one episode there are 3 pgc (50 sec, 19.30 min and 1.57 min) and the encoder cannot encode/merge the 3 pgc (Automkv).

I've tried to find by myself but without any result...

Thanks
bibile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 18:49   #12  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

If the 3 PGCs are in the same VTS, try to use Title -> New PlayAll Title. (You may have to delete or reorder some cells in the PGC Editor.)

If the 3 PGCs are in different PGCs, you cannot merge them with PgcEdit. Use a tool such as Womble MPEG Video Wizard DVD or VideoReDo (not free). You can also try the IfoEdit option "Merge Clips", but imo it doesn't work well.
Old 24th February 2009, 19:43   #13  |  Link
bibile

That is what I've done first but nothing happened. After that I get the plugin and the result is simply amazing : AMKV outputs a single file.

Thanks a lot for this great tool
bibile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 20:04   #14  |  Link
kikatu

Thanks!
kikatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2009, 02:20   #15  |  Link
david42
Former Technical Janitor

RFE Set all PGC breakpoints

I like to edit DVD's down dramatically and often this involves finding out which PGC's don't ever get called.

I see "Trace->Clear all PGC breakpoints" exists so I was wondering if you would add "Trace->Set all PGC breakpoints" as a new command?

It would help me edit out selected extras (buttons and previews) that I deem useless VOB calls then see what doesn't get called by running my changes in Trace mode to navigate to everything I left in (movie, some extras, audio choices). I would then be able to edit PGC's calling all the extra useless stuff and quickly make a much smaller DVD structure.

THANX

PS: I apologize if this post goes in the wrong place. I have yet to figure out how to initiate a post in the right place on this forum. I believe this one should have gone in a RFE for v9.2 thread.

Last edited by blutach; 21st March 2009 at 02:54. Reason: Post moved
david42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2009, 05:06   #16  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I don't understand why setting a breakpoint on all PGCs could help you locate which PGCs are never called. IMO, the yellow highlights in the left pane and the new option "State -> Mark played PGCs as 'Played'" are much more useful. You don't need to break to discover if a PGC has been played.

Anyway, there are numerous ways to break at every PGC. You can turn on the "Breakpoints -> Break At All Menus" and "Breat At All Titles" options. They break at the first command of every PGC. You can also "Break at Log Output" and type "Entering" in the Break box. You can also use the "--> Next PB" button if you want to break only when the video content of a PGC is played.

The manual Pre/Post and Playback breakpoints are made to turn on a breakpoint on a specific PGC, for example to continue the trace step by step, analyse the registers at that point, or launch "Jump To PGC". IMO, forcing a manual breakpoint on every PGC doesn't make sense.

Side note: If you use the trace to discover which PGCs are never called, you should search the random operations, and check them carefully. When a GPRM is set with the ?= (RND) operator, it's often to jump to randomly selected PGCs. So, tracing the commands containing a RND only once could not be sufficient to locate all PGCs called indirectly by that PGC. I suggest therefore to Break at All Titles and Menus, and Break at Log Output "RND". Then, every time a specific RND operator is executed, you can force a different valid value in the affected GPRM by typing it in the Watch window (don't forget to press Return to record your change!), and continue the trace, to be sure to locate all possibly played PGCs.

PS: Don't worry. You have posted at the right place (although you could have posted a new thread in this "IFO/VOB Editors" section as well.)

Last edited by r0lZ; 21st March 2009 at 07:21.
Old 21st March 2009, 07:05   #17  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Or you could just use "Step mode" or when in a PGC use the State menu to return to various important parts of the DVD.

On r0lZ's point about "RND" just search in the search box for RND first. Most DVDs will turn up nothing, so you don't have to worry about it and you can break on all menus and all titles only.

Regards

Last edited by blutach; 23rd March 2009 at 00:51.
Old 22nd March 2009, 21:23   #18  |  Link
david42
Former Technical Janitor

RFE set all PGC breakpoints

Quote:
I don't understand why setting a breakpoint on all PGCs could help you locate which PGCs are never called.
Often developers and users who know every nook and cranny of the features because they have evolved with the program since inception are perplexed at how nubies think and how they use a tool to solve their problems.

I'll see what I can do to use the responses this thread answer spawned. I have so little time to read every past posting to catch up. Perhaps a built-in help and user how-to guide (pulling together the PgcEdit wisdom into 1 place) would help those of us who have limited time to study every past posting and side document in existence (the ones I've checked out are great but scattered all over the place and time consuming to pull together).

Let me try to walk through your current responses...

Quote:
IMO, the yellow highlights in the left pane and the new option "State -> Mark played PGCs as 'Played'" are much more useful.
I tried using these. They are cleared back to white the 1st time I click on an uncalled PGC to investigate where it is called (Cntrl-G). That's why setting all BP's feels simpler and persistent.

Quote:
You don't need to break to discover if a PGC has been played.
Yet I have found that extremely useful to date, apparently my original post explanation was insufficient (my bad).

Quote:
Anyway, there are numerous ways to break at every PGC. You can turn on the "Breakpoints -> Break At All Menus" and "Breat At All Titles" options. They break at the first command of every PGC. You can also "Break at Log Output" and type "Entering" in the Break box. You can also use the "--> Next PB" button if you want to break only when the video content of a PGC is played.
If I understand your suggestion... You want me to click on 2 options then click through Next PB multiple (3-100's) times to accomplish what I suggested be a 1 click Set all PGC breakpoints options. I was trying to suggest a RFE for simplifying the amount of clicks a user needs to do to accomplish their approach to using your great program.

Quote:
The manual Pre/Post and Playback breakpoints are made to turn on a breakpoint on a specific PGC, for example to continue the trace step by step, analyse the registers at that point, or launch "Jump To PGC". IMO, forcing a manual breakpoint on every PGC doesn't make sense.
These features are excellent and powerful which is why (perhaps) I see an enhancement to expand them 1 more level.

Rhetorical questions :

1. Is setting a breakpoint at every PGC a difficult change?

2. Would it have medium to high potential to create a new bug?

3. Would it have medium to high potential to break unrelated features in PgcEdit?

4. Is it the type of change that would cause grief due to a side-effect which would cause a support (or forum threads) nightmare?

Quote:
Side note: If you use the trace to discover which PGCs are never called, you should search the random operations, and check them carefully. When a GPRM is set with the ?= (RND) operator, it's often to jump to randomly selected PGCs. So, tracing the commands containing a RND only once could not be sufficient to locate all PGCs called indirectly by that PGC. I suggest therefore to Break at All Titles and Menus, and Break at Log Output "RND". Then, every time a specific RND operator is executed, you can force a different valid value in the affected GPRM by typing it in the Watch window (don't forget to press Return to record your change!), and continue the trace, to be sure to locate all possibly played PGCs.
Ah-ha MAJOR GOOD POINT ... RND is something new to me. I'll have to watch out for those. Thanks for the heads up and info on how to check into them!

I never used the Trace-Breakpoint Button before EXCEPT to see if it had the set all breakpoints option I RFE'd. Looking at it now I see the 3 things you are writing about and will try them out. It still seems to me that 1 option selection is much easier than 3. It is at times like this that it occurs to me that built in help explanations of the various options choices would make it easier to learn PgcEdit and possible cut down the 'what does that do' chatter on the forum.

I'll check out your recommendations.
Old 23rd March 2009, 00:34   #19  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david42 View Post
I'll see what I can do to use the responses this thread answer spawned. I have so little time to read every past posting to catch up. Perhaps a built-in help and user how-to guide (pulling together the PgcEdit wisdom into 1 place) would help those of us who have limited time to study every past posting and side document in existence (the ones I've checked out are great but scattered all over the place and time consuming to pull together).
It's called the help file. Soon, it will be context sensitive (version 9.3). In the meantime, download it from the PgcEdit site. And read this. After that, I am afraid you'll need to do some more work for yourself.
Quote:
If I understand your suggestion... You want me to click on 2 options then click through Next PB multiple (3-100's) times to accomplish what I suggested be a 1 click Set all PGC breakpoints options. I was trying to suggest a RFE for simplifying the amount of clicks a user needs to do to accomplish their approach to using your great program.
That will accomplish what you want - to break on all PGCs. Or use Next PB if that is more akin to your needs.

As for your rhetorical questions, what r0lZ is saying is that the functionality is there already. There no need for it, even though I am sure it won't break anything or be hard to implement - it's just not needed. Just try what has been suggested.

Quote:
It still seems to me that 1 option selection is much easier than 3.
One option may be simpler but would actually lose functionality. Sometimes, you want to break at a playback point, other times at the entry/exit point. Sometimes, you wanna break on menu PGCs only, other times, titles, and in your case, all of the them. Anyway, once set, the functions are remembered until you unset them or restart PgcEdit.

I repeat, the functionality is there. Read the help file.

Regards

Last edited by blutach; 23rd March 2009 at 00:50.
Old 23rd March 2009, 03:12   #20  |  Link
david42
Former Technical Janitor

RFE set all PGC breakpoints

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutach View Post
It's called the help file. Soon, it will be context sensitive (version 9.3). In the meantime, download it from the PgcEdit site. And read this. After that, I am afraid you'll need to do some more work for yourself.
That will accomplish what you want - to break on all PGCs. Or use Next PB if that is more akin to your needs.

As for your rhetorical questions, what r0lZ is saying is that the functionality is there already. There no need for it, even though I am sure it won't break anything or be hard to implement - it's just not needed. Just try what has been suggested.

One option may be simpler but would actually lose functionality. Sometimes, you want to break at a playback point, other times at the entry/exit point. Sometimes, you wanna break on menu PGCs only, other times, titles, and in your case, all of the them. Anyway, once set, the functions are remembered until you unset them or restart PgcEdit.

I repeat, the functionality is there. Read the help file.

Regards
I just tried Trace Mode->Breakpoints and selected Breakpoints (for Menus, Titles, & Log Output) then ran the session doing what I normally do. It highlighted each PGC after execution HOWEVER the 1st time I found a preview that I checked 'blank' on it unhighlighted everything that had been executed and proceeded to highlight the new executions when I went back to Run. When I was done lots of executions that I'd gone over were not highlighted. That wasn't quite what I'm hoping for.

The other thing about doing it this way is that I'm unable to unset PGC breakpoints as I execute to them. So I have to do lots of extra (re)Run's that would be optimized away if the 'set all PGC breakpoints' approach was used instead.

Another thing about turning on the 3 breakpoint at modes is that it doesn't mark the PGC's in red like toggling a breakpoint does. I was using that as a marker. I'd do various edits of menu buttons and PGCs manually, then toggle each BP on manually, then trace through the movie. If I wanted a PGC to stay in the execution flow I'd toggle it off then keep running until I'd been through the movie, language menus, and deleted scenes. When done the red PGCs could be carefully removed, then run the DVD remove useless stuff to finish off the cleanup. Clear all the breakpoints and trace through to make sure all is still well, then run FixVTS and the shorter DVD was good to go.

Sorry I'm unable to cite every reason why the RFE would be a nice (hopefully painless) addition. You're points are true that I can turn on lots of modes (or just write down each PGC as I trace through them) and tweak the others as I trace through. My goal is to reduce the movie with minimal mouse/keyboard invocations (probably because of the tendonitis).

I am concerned about your point that the RFE would take away some functionality. What would be lost? I definitely do not want to lose anything. It seemed to me that if all breakpoints can be cleared doing the opposite would help me because I could just turn ones off as I execute to them.

Maybe I'm missing something. Can I use the Trace Mode-> Breakpoint's (Menu, Title, & Log Output) and toggle off individual PGC breakpoints the 1st time I trace to them so the other breakpoints still exist but the manual turning off of individual PGC breaks also coexists? That's kinda the crux of what I'm after.

I agree that PgcEdit is extremely powerful and way cool, especially all the great upgrades that came in v9.

I guess it's not uncommon for latecomers to see other paths to reach their goal, when using the tools, that the architects perform using the steps they've gotten used to from their inception.

Either way, excellent tool!

THANX