Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 26th May 2018, 10:34   #51001  |  Link
huhn

but he is on win 7.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2018, 13:28   #51002  |  Link
giulianoprs

help setting

Thanks Warner306, I ask you another opinion, advice, not to strain the gpu (rx 560 is not very powerful) and do not rise to 65 degrees of temperature, using JIN is good as a filter? do I lose little in visual quality? is it ok like JIN as a filter?
Last thing, in the HDR setting is it better to select "pass to HDR content to the display" so that the TV version does the face-up and not madvr? I'm not very expert in settings, I would like to do something simple and with few problems.
Thanks again, bye to everyone.
giulianoprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2018, 15:46   #51003  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

MPC-HC, yes.

Nvidia driver version might be a reason. I don't update always immediately, the last was probably a part of MS Update, I should get a fresh one from Nvidia.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2018, 16:44   #51004  |  Link
Grimsdyke

Latest Intel GPU driver (6094, Win10 64bit) not only increased performance of MadVR by around 1 msec. but also seem to have fixed RGB. So I am at Full RGB throughout again. Nice !!
Grimsdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2018, 17:03   #51005  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by giulianoprs View Post
Thanks Warner306, I ask you another opinion, advice, not to strain the gpu (rx 560 is not very powerful) and do not rise to 65 degrees of temperature, using JIN is good as a filter? do I lose little in visual quality? is it ok like JIN as a filter?
Last thing, in the HDR setting is it better to select "pass to HDR content to the display" so that the TV version does the face-up and not madvr? I'm not very expert in settings, I would like to do something simple and with few problems.
Thanks again, bye to everyone.
If you don't want to use NGU, I would use super-xbr100 instead. super-xbr is faster than Jinc and higher quality.

Definitely set HDR to passthrough and send metadata to the display.

Last edited by Warner306; 26th May 2018 at 20:57.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2018, 21:14   #51006  |  Link
Polopretress

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-t172 View Post
Exact same issue here, it appeared when I upgraded Windows from 1709 to 1803. This only happens when madVR switches to exclusive mode, though.
Same for me. Switch to exclusive mode is very long since windows last update. (around 100 to 200 drop frames)

First thing i have also noticed after the update is that the rendering time of the windowed mode was drasticaly reduced (from 10 msec to 6.5 msec )
I do not have time actually to check the root cause but i think that some algo does not work anymore in windowed mode.
In exclusive mode , the rendering time has not been modified.
Polopretress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2018, 21:29   #51007  |  Link
Polopretress

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberscott View Post
Multiple individuals, including me have this issue, in varying degrees.
If you use the "search this thread" feature at the top of this page for "windows 10 1803" You'll have at least two pages of information to go through.
No full fix for those of us affected beyond rolling back to the previous Windows version. I've reduced a few setting and also set my render queue (GPU) to 7 and my present queue to 6 as they will not fill up beyond that. I have everything working with the slight settings reduction in quality and with the queues set to what I mentioned.
You will just have to adjust settings while watching a video until you can find something that will work with your hardware to fill up the reduced queues. For me, dropping settngs in "artifact removal" helped me.
I'm sure madshi will be able to come up with solutions once he can allocate some time for madVR. He has a real job beyond madVR and committments and bills to pay.
It is strange. On my side, i have the opposite in windowed mode. 10msec rendering before the update adn 6.5 msec after the 1803 update.
No change in exclusive mode except that switching to this mode is really long and multi drop during this time (100 to 200 drop frames)
Old 26th May 2018, 23:29   #51008  |  Link
sauma144

I really really really want to know what this new algorithm is.

Last edited by sauma144; 26th May 2018 at 23:36.
sauma144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2018, 23:48   #51009  |  Link
x7007

For me with LG OLED 55 C6 set 60hz 3840x2560 native Firmware 4.31.0
NVidia 1080 GTX 397.94
Potplayer x64 1.7.12248
Windows 10 x64 1803

Exclusive works fine set to 10 bit. Also HDR works fine
Renderer time 4 or something.
In nvidia driver Renderer set to Prefer application control
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2018, 23:50   #51010  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polopretress View Post
10msec rendering before the update adn 6.5 msec after the 1803 update.
Was the same GPU driver used in both cases and did you check that the GPU clocks were the same?
Old 27th May 2018, 04:37   #51011  |  Link
imhh11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajamils View Post
I have following setup
- HTPC (i3, 8gb RAM, Nvidia 1050)
- Yamaha A3070 AVR
- JVC X790r Projector

I recently started using madVR with Kodi and MPC-HC and having a lot of issue playing 4K mkvs with HDR. When I play a file using MPC-HC (with madVR set to pass through HDR and no other settings changed), my projector automatically switches to HDR mode indicating that HDR signal is being received but the whole pictures has dark pink/purple tint on it. As soon as I end playback, everything goes back to normal. If I select Enhanced Video Renderer (Custom Presenter) in MPC-HC, video plays correctly but HDR tag is not passed so no auto switching is done by projector. HDR is turned off in Windows settings (and I am unable to turn it on because when I try to do that, everything goes black and by the time pictures resumes the prompt to confirm selection is gone)

I have also played with setting in madVR to convert HDR to SDR but the results have been less than ideal with more prominent noise and depending on the settings colors ranging for overly saturated to very pale.

I have already tried different HDMI cable and doing a clean install of Nvidia drivers but not much luck.

Separately, I'm having another issue which may or may not be related and that is I cannot set the resolution in Window or Nvidia control panel to 1080p/60. For some reason it keeps getting back to 4K/24. When I try to set the display setting to 1080p/60 the screen goes black and when it comes back I usually have a second or two to press a button to confirm changes otherwise it reverts back to 4k/24 setting. If in case I successfully change the settings it works for sometime and then randomly changes back to 4k/24.

I have checked on the AVR and video is set to "Pass through" on the projector it shows that it is receiving "4K signal". So there is something in the HTPC which keeps switching the resolution/frame rate. For the most part I can live with that setting but some of the programs (like Nvidia Control panel) do not scale even when scaling is set to 300% so they are impossible to use on 120" screen.

same here, i get that purple picture with my JVC 550X too, and this for a while. 60hz or 24hz, it doesnt change anything.

Setting nvidia control pannel to Ycbcr422 10 bit or 12 bit fixed the issue. in RGB, the picture also turn magenta with the Windows HDR slidder on.

quick tip to turn on the windows hdr slidder , once you switch it on , press TAB ENTER. you could also use teamviewer with your phone

and btw this is an issue only with my projector, that same pc connected to an HDR TV doesnt have any of those issues.

Last edited by imhh11; 27th May 2018 at 14:12.
imhh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2018, 09:24   #51012  |  Link
IggySLO

I may have similar issues as the users above me. With regards to HDR, if I "let madvr decide" or "passthrough HDR to the display", I get a white noise image on the TV when I start an HDR-content video. If I then simply restart the playback the video works fine every time. Sometimes it even works on 1st try, but it more often starts with this white noise.

This doesn't happen if I use any of the other options for HDR in madVR, so I'm pretty sure that it's a software issue with madVR and not something in the HDMI chain for example.

I use the latest MPC-HC and madVR. PC > hdmi > AVR > hdmi > TV

Interestingly, this started to happen when I bought a new TV. I previously had a Sony 65X850C which did accept HDR (even though I'm not sure it's even in the spec sheet, but HDR logo did appear if I looked into the picture setup). The new TV is Sony 65A1. BTW, I updated the nvidia drivers, but no change.

Last edited by IggySLO; 27th May 2018 at 09:34.
IggySLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2018, 15:54   #51013  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by IggySLO View Post
I may have similar issues as the users above me. With regards to HDR, if I "let madvr decide" or "passthrough HDR to the display", I get a white noise image on the TV when I start an HDR-content video. If I then simply restart the playback the video works fine every time. Sometimes it even works on 1st try, but it more often starts with this white noise.

This doesn't happen if I use any of the other options for HDR in madVR, so I'm pretty sure that it's a software issue with madVR and not something in the HDMI chain for example.

I use the latest MPC-HC and madVR. PC > hdmi > AVR > hdmi > TV

Interestingly, this started to happen when I bought a new TV. I previously had a Sony 65X850C which did accept HDR (even though I'm not sure it's even in the spec sheet, but HDR logo did appear if I looked into the picture setup). The new TV is Sony 65A1. BTW, I updated the nvidia drivers, but no change.
If this started to happen when you got a new display, it doesn't necessarily mean madVR is to blame. It treats every display the same way. Perhaps, your display is misinterpreting the color values and metadata it is given? Did you try like the poster above to switch between RGB and YCbCr in the GPU control panel?
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2018, 17:15   #51014  |  Link
d3rd3vil

Any news on passing through dual layer Dolby Vision stuff maybe?
d3rd3vil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2018, 18:31   #51015  |  Link
IggySLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Did you try like the poster above to switch between RGB and YCbCr in the GPU control panel?
Nothing makes any difference sadly, only the hdr settings in madvr. I don't get why I have to click the file twice in order to get it to play normally.
IggySLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2018, 20:27   #51016  |  Link
Polopretress

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
Was the same GPU driver used in both cases and did you check that the GPU clocks were the same?
Yes. Exactly the same configuration except the update to 1803.
Of course, i had to set the custom modes for custom resolution @23.97602 and @24.00000 due to the fact that the update removes them.
Old 27th May 2018, 20:36   #51017  |  Link
hannes69

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3rd3vil View Post
Yes, madshi is working with a team of 10 people exactly on that feature since 3 weeks of course, what else?
hannes69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2018, 21:19   #51018  |  Link
d3rd3vil

Well if no one seems to be able to convert dual to single layer then I thought maybe a passthrough is the only way we got here
d3rd3vil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 00:47   #51019  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3rd3vil View Post
Did you use search? See madshi post anything about it?
If anything happens you'll know, I wouldn't bother bringing it up again otherwise, just let it go.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2018, 01:47   #51020  |  Link
x7007

I am having issue with the Nv HDR and OS HDR with potplayer windows 1803 . with both of them the HDR color is not correct . it shows white dots artefacts randomly on same locations . changing the Nvidia display settings to YCbCr 422 10 bit works fine also when using the Nv OS mode as long I set the color manually in the NVCP and not default . using 397.93 drivers

Last edited by x7007; 28th May 2018 at 02:00.
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling