Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Linux, Mac OS X, & Co

Old 11th September 2009, 19:33   #21  |  Link
JohnAStebbins

HandBrake has one feature that few (if any) other open source transcoders have. It creates variable frame rate video. Most DVD sources (especially those with CGI sequences) are innately VFR. "Babylon 5" is a prime example. Producing a video that plays smoothly and maintains audio sync from such sources seems to be challenging for other encoders.

Regarding copying VOBS, that's not planned for HandBrake. HandBrake has a pretty small number of developers. We make a conscious effort to keep the feature set focused and prune out the cruft that would add maintenance overhead.
JohnAStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 19:42   #22  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAStebbins View Post
HandBrake has one feature that few (if any) other open source transcoders have. It creates variable frame rate video. Most DVD sources (especially those with CGI sequences) are innately VFR. "Babylon 5" is a prime example. Producing a video that plays smoothly and maintains audio sync from such sources seems to be challenging for other encoders.

Regarding copying VOBS, that's not planned for HandBrake. HandBrake has a pretty small number of developers. We make a conscious effort to keep the feature set focused and prune out the cruft that would add maintenance overhead.
You a HB dev?

if so, may I ask why HB devs refuse to add quality-based Vorbis encoding?

About VFR, yes its tough to do it but personally I don't care for VFR so if an encoder doesn't offer it, it doesn't really matter to me.

PS: the decomb filter is pretty sweet though. I wish MEncoder had it too
Old 11th September 2009, 20:50   #23  |  Link
Major_Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLUBSCH View Post
For example... (please insert applications here).
Something like MeGui or, as we're talking about copying dvds, something like DVDdecrypter would be useful... basically stuff to make things a little bit easier.
I could be completely wrong here, as i'm not an old linux user, but linux devs and most linux users strike me as having too high of a tolerance to solutions that in a way suffice but in another way are somewhat lacking.
Major_Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 22:05   #24  |  Link
JohnAStebbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy1 View Post
You a HB dev?
if so, may I ask why HB devs refuse to add quality-based Vorbis encoding?
You make it sound like we have an obligation to jump at every feature request that users dream up. I feel no such obligation. Speaking for myself, I code things that I have a personal interest in. I'm sure it's much the same for the other developers. None of the regular developers has been interested enough to spend the time on quality based vorbis encoding. An interested user started working on a patch and I spent a good bit of time coaching him through it: HandBrake forum thred. But then they vanished without a trace.
Old 11th September 2009, 22:08   #25  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
may I ask why HB devs refuse to add quality-based Vorbis encoding?
Because they are Mac users and only Linux users use Vorbis?
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 22:15   #26  |  Link
JohnAStebbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
That's a more compact way of saying it
I'm the one and only linux handbrake dev. And I prefer to pass through the original AC3 or DTS audio, so I don't have much use for vorbis. I used to use vorbis for my CD collection, but flac is better for that now. So for me anyway, vorbis is pretty pointless.
Old 11th September 2009, 22:19   #27  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
lolwut? And Mac users don't use Vorbis? Sure, most don't but I bet my $$ on that some do

@John

No need to be so hostile
It was just a question as I wondered why it doesn't support it (yet)

For example, I also don't use Vorbis for encoding (prefer AAC myself) but my scripts support it and if a user comes with a feature request, I'll usually do it if it's possible and makes sense to me

and guess what? My users DO use quality-based Vorbis

Last edited by microchip8; 11th September 2009 at 22:23.
microchip8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 22:27   #28  |  Link
JohnAStebbins

Quote:
No need to be so hostile
It was just a question as I wondered why it doesn't support it (yet)
Honestly, I was just having a little fun by using the same tone that the question was presented in. "may I ask why HB devs refuse" is a pretty inflammatory way to start a question. Figured someone who dishes it out could take it.
Old 11th September 2009, 22:38   #29  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAStebbins View Post
Honestly, I was just having a little fun by using the same tone that the question was presented in. "may I ask why HB devs refuse" is a pretty inflammatory way to start a question. Figured someone who dishes it out could take it.
I wrote it like that because a while ago one of my users said to me that he asked for this and was met with hostility by the HB devs, so I figured it hasn't changed much since then

Those were his words "HB devs refuse to add quality-based Vorbis encoding and so I won't use HB at all"
Old 11th September 2009, 23:09   #30  |  Link
JohnAStebbins

Quote:
I wrote it like that because a while ago one of my users said to me that he asked for this and was met with hostility by the HB devs, so I figured it hasn't changed much since then

Those were his words "HB devs refuse to add quality-based Vorbis encoding and so I won't use HB at all"
*shrug* some users need better fire retardant clothing. As far as I can remember, every request for this particular feature has been met with a "Patches are welcome" response. Usually the user then gets huffy and demands a reason for our "refusal" to implement it ourselves. They don't really want to hear the answers. They just want to vent and argue.
Old 11th September 2009, 23:12   #31  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

Yep, it's perfectly possible. That's why I asked more clarity from a HB dev in the first place. Oh well, you can't really satisfy all users. That's impossible
Old 11th September 2009, 23:31   #32  |  Link
GLUBSCH

@John: THANK YOU for putting your effort into coding such a great tool. I LOVE IT!

Considering that HB has a huge load of features right now, its das that the "expected" feature of copying VOBs wonīt be supported.
Anyways, Iīve been reading through the whole sub-forum for decrypting and as it seems, that all these programs are coded for win. NOTHING equivalent exists for Linux. Certainly using those decrypters through WINE would be an "option" - I prefer to use true linux applications though. And here comes my tricky question: Are there any other libraries than libdvdcss that might work together with HB to challenge newer copy protections than CSS?

Last edited by GLUBSCH; 11th September 2009 at 23:34.
GLUBSCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 23:39   #33  |  Link
JohnAStebbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLUBSCH View Post
And here comes the tricky question: Are there any other libraries than libdvdcss that might work together with HB to challenge newer copy protections than CSS?
I added libdvdnav support to handbrake a while back. It handles most dvd obfuscation techniques like ARccOS just fine. It's not available in a regular release yet. But if you use our development snapshot (announcement), you can enable the feature in the advanced preferences.
Old 11th September 2009, 23:51   #34  |  Link
GLUBSCH

Whoa, thats a quality reply. Great to hear an honest answer - I actually expected something lame... Currently Iīm using SVN (rev2773) with LinGUI compiled by pbleser of the OpenSuse forums. Hey, "JohnAStebbins" - whoever you are, ENJOY your weekend!
Old 12th September 2009, 00:22   #35  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

libdvdnav has been supported by mencoder/mplayer for a long time, just FYI
Old 12th September 2009, 00:27   #36  |  Link
GLUBSCH

Thanks your hint. As I couldnīt find how libdvdnav differs from libdvdread, please tell me...
(Youīre allowed to post a link to further information as well though.)
Old 12th September 2009, 00:29   #37  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

dvdnav supports menu navigation while dvdread provides the functionality to read/access DVDs, just google it or head to wiki

Last edited by microchip8; 12th September 2009 at 00:37.
microchip8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 00:44   #38  |  Link
GLUBSCH

Let me get this straight: Does that mean that itīs possible to fully copy a DVDs menue? Are you talking about THIS wiki?

Last edited by GLUBSCH; 12th September 2009 at 00:54.
Old 12th September 2009, 00:52   #39  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

I don't know what you can or can't copy with it, but dvdnav is used for menu navigation. Without it, you'll manually have to find out the movie title. With it, it just gives you the DVD menu and you click on start and off you go. If you copy a DVD 1:1 (either dump to VIDEO_TS or make an ISO out of it) the menu is still there, unless you somehow strip it off. It also supports decryption. It is primarily a DVD navigation library http://dvd.sourceforge.net/
Old 12th September 2009, 00:57   #40  |  Link
GLUBSCH

Quote:
I don't know what you can or can't copy with it, but dvdnav is used for menu navigation. Without it, you'll manually have to find out the movie title. With it, it just gives you the DVD menu and you click on start and off you go. If you copy a DVD 1:1 (either dump to VIDEO_TS or make an ISO out of it) the menu is still there, unless you somehow strip it off. It also supports decryption. It is primarily a DVD navigation library http://dvd.sourceforge.net/
Interesting. I wonder if HandBrake still uses lidvdcss after aktivating dvdnav... letīs try. It probably wonīt disable anything.