Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17th February 2014, 02:32   #11  |  Link
Ignus2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorBry View Post
If one applies the 'conventional wisdom' that median prediction generally makes for higher compression than left, then arguably 'balanced' mode, in prioritizing compression ratio, could be viewed as favoring Median prediction. Maybe Ignus2 would want to elaborate on that.
Well, that conventional wisdom can be wrong sometimes
An important thing to mention here is that decoding time doesn't only depend on the prediction method. Bad prediction can slow down other parts of the codec. This is exactly why we cannot outright say Left prediction makes the codec fast.
Dynamic combines the best of both worlds. Use the simplest prediction method giving good compression.
For a tiny bit of more work on the encoder side we can get big wins both in compression ratio and decoding speed.

This is also why I explicitly don't recommend in the codec config dialog selecting Left because the results might not be what people expect (file will be bigger AND slower to decode).
Actually I'm considering to remove the prediction method selector altogether, as it might confuse people thinking Predict Left is equal to a some kind of "Fast Mode", where in reality it isn't.

As for the immediate future, I'll probably do color space conversion built-in to the encoder side (to allow direct RGB->YUY2/YV12 compression), and after that, 10-bit might come along (or Mac, but I never coded a Mac so far...).
But again, as I already mentioned in the original Intermediate Video Format Survey thread, 10-bit is a bigger step, and that might fork into a non-free version (IF I'll ever have the time to do it). (But I will add that the current and every coming 8-bit version will always be free.)

Greets,
I.
Ignus2 is offline   Reply With Quote