Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 14th June 2014, 07:37   #1  |  Link
XIAM10

PgcEdit: Move several titles to a new VTS

I want to create a multiple episode DVD, with a PGC with all the episodes and several PGCs for every episode.

I found in another forum a method with DVD Remake, so I thought that perhaps it could be done with PgcEdit (I don't have DVDRM and PgcEdit it's free -thanks r0lZ!-)

I think PgcEdit feature "New 'Play All' Title" is the way to go, but unfortunately the episodes are in different VTS, and that feature only works for the titles in the same VTS.

So my question is how can I move or copy all the episodes titles in a unique VTS in order to use that feature? I've tried to remap titles and create a new DVD from scratch and then import title, but that way every title is imported in a new VTS, so the problem persist.

I would really appreciate some help here.

Thanks in advance
XIAM10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2014, 01:06   #2  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

You can't do that with PgcEdit. But you can join multiple clips as one big VOB file with IfoEdit's Join Clips function. You'll have to create an IFO for the resulting clip, also with IfoEdit. Then, you can import the new VTS in any DVD with PgcEdit, and create the Titles for each single episode.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2014, 06:09   #3  |  Link
XIAM10

Hello, r0lZ. Thank you for your suggestion.

I managed to do it with PgcEdit along with VobBlanker (thanks jsoto!). I will list the steps I used to accomplish it in case someone needs it in the future:

In PgcEdit:

1. Select the first episode title and use the feature "Clone PGC".
2. Repeat previous step as many times as episodes the DVD has.
3. In every cloned PGCs, remove all the cells and create new ones (the number of cells should be equal to the number of cells of each episode).
4. Save the DVD.

In VobBlanker:

5. Replace all the cloned PGCs with every episode.
6. Blank the original episodes.

In PgcEdit:

7. Select the first episode title and use the feature "New 'Play All' Title".
8. Fix the navigation accordingly (I used a custom menu, so I have a "Play All" button that plays the last title -all episodes- and a submenu with a button for each episode -the first and the cloned PGCs-)

Optional:

I perform these steps to clean the DVD structure.

In PgcEdit:

1. Remap title numbers.
2. Delete last VTS in DVD for each episode that I blanked in VobBlanker.

I think I'm not forgeting anything, but please correct me if there is anything that could cause an issue in some cases. It looks like it's a lot of work, but it's just a bunch of clicks. Of course it could be easier if there was a feature like "Append Copied PGCs", like DVDRemake, but it's doable.

Thanks again, r0lZ. PgcEdit is one of the best free programs ever.

Cheers
Old 15th June 2014, 09:44   #4  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Good method, indeed.

IMO, you can delete the blanked VTSs easily with "Delete Uncalled VTSs". That's probably faster than your method, but the result is identical.

Thanks for your appreciation of PgcEdit. :-)
Old 17th June 2014, 05:16   #5  |  Link
XIAM10

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
Good method, indeed.

IMO, you can delete the blanked VTSs easily with "Delete Uncalled VTSs". That's probably faster than your method, but the result is identical.

Thanks for your appreciation of PgcEdit. :-)
Yes, you are right. Although I had a few episodes, so there was no much difference for me, but if you have a lot of episodes, it will certainly make a difference. Of course, you have to delete any reference to the titles first. I haven't had deleted the jumps created by AVStoDVD, so it would have not worked for me.

As a said in my previous post, a feature like "Append Copied PGCs" or an "Append title" in the same VTS would definitely be faster. Or if it is too much complicated to implement it, perhaps a feature to create several cells at once, not one by one.
Old 17th June 2014, 07:11   #6  |  Link
Ghitulescu

There is a catch, however.
All episodes must have the same number of streams, in the same positions, and with the same characteristics. I am however not sure, it may be that it is allowed to have "empty" streams for the missing languages.
Old 18th June 2014, 01:51   #7  |  Link
XIAM10

Yes, I had the same number of streams in the right position, but acording to the message displayed when you create the "Play All" title, I think it's not mandatory. It reads as follows: "The streams status and the colour lookup table are copied from the current PGC". So I think it should work if you don't have the same stream configuration, but I haven't tested it.
Old 18th June 2014, 08:13   #8  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

The Play All title is made of all cells of the same domain, and therefore the problem doesn't exist, because all PGCs in the same domain have exactly the same streams. It's another story when you want to concatenate together, in the same VTS, several titles coming from different VTSs. In that case, the streams characteristics can be totally different, and it may be impossible to join the clips.

Ghitulescu is right. It should be possible to create dummy "empty" streams when a stream present in one VTS has no equivalent in another VTS. But some players do not like the empty streams. And it may be difficult to switch from a stream to another one during the playback, especially in a 'Play All' title. For example, if the audio of VTS 1 is AC3 5.1 and the audio of VTS 2 is AC3 stereo, it will be impossible to connect the two audio streams together. That means that in the final VTS, the PGCs corresponding to VTS 1 will have a new stereo dummy stream, and the PGCs corresponding to VTS 2 will have a dummy 5.1 stream. When the playback will switch from the Title from VTS 1 to the Title from VTS 2 (or vice versa), it will be necessary to change the audio stream with a SetSTN cell-command, and when a cell-command is present, the joint cannot be seamless. Therefore, there is no advantage in creating a Play All title, since there will be a gap between the titles anyway.

Note also that all streams must have a different stream ID, and therefore, joining two VTSs with some streams with different characteristics but with the same ID require to change the ID everywhere in the VOB and IFO files. PgcEdit, being mainly an IFO editor, can't do that, and it's one of the reasons for the absence of the Join Clips function in PgcEdit. IfoEdit can do it, and IMO, it's sufficient.

BTW, I have re-read my code, but unfortunately, due to internal limitations, the feature to create several cells at once is too complicated to do. Sorry.
Old 18th June 2014, 12:04   #9  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
BTW, I have re-read my code, but unfortunately, due to internal limitations, the feature to create several cells at once is too complicated to do. Sorry.
I would dare to suggest, if you consider rewriting the software, to allow for reusing the cells? I think I mentioned it once - if one deletes a cell from a PGC, and this is the last occurence, this cell cannot be recovered (or I found no solution) other than reloading the backup IFOs.
Old 18th June 2014, 12:25   #10  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Well, deleting a cell deletes it! So, of course, it is lost. (I could keep a backup of the deleted cells internally, but it's what the IFO backup is already supposed to do, so I don't think it's very useful.)

Hint: You can create a Play All title before editing the cells of the other PGCs of the same domain. All cells will therefore be referenced in the Play All title, and you can easily recover them if you wish. When you have finished your edits, just delete the Play All PGC and process the VTS with FixVTS to get rid of the VOB cells. (I agree that that doesn't work with Menus because you can't create a "Play All Menu", but anyway, you can also create an incremental backup when necessary.)

Also, the DVD-Video is almost dead, and I don't have the intention to rewrite PgcEdit (or even some parts of the program). I continue to fix bugs and perhaps to do some little improvements, but I don't want to spend much time on PgcEdit any more.
Old 18th June 2014, 16:46   #11  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Well, deleting a cell deletes it! So, of course, it is lost. (I could keep a backup of the deleted cells internally, but it's what the IFO backup is already supposed to do, so I don't think it's very useful.)

Hint: You can create a Play All title before editing the cells of the other PGCs of the same domain.
That's what I did mostly, but sometimes I forget it and like Murphy's laws, it's exactly then when it's happening.

The point was just to allow the selection of an existing VCID instead of forcing a new one.

I used to live with these shortcomings/bugs/features so it's not a big deal anyway.
Old 19th June 2014, 01:22   #12  |  Link
XIAM10

Quote:
No problem at all. Thank you for clarifying the matter.

Tags
pgcedit